• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite, Starfield & Forza Horizon 5 (not set in Japan) Expected at Microsoft’s 2021 E3

sobaka770

Banned
If this rumor is true this is fucking nothing.

A game that we knew was coming from Bethesda, Halo rerelease and a yearly Forza is not a scoop - it's a bare minimum. In fact for Microsoft it's a miserable showcase. Where is Hellblade, all those studios that MS bought - what are they working on? I want at least 1-2 exciting reveals or details on things like Avowed. Otherwise this will be another write-off year for MS. (yes, outside of all the gamepass thing)

Derktron

Banned

A game that we knew was coming from Bethesda, Halo rerelease and a yearly Forza is not a scoop - it's a bare minimum. In fact for Microsoft it's a miserable showcase. Where is Hellblade, all those studios that MS bought - what are they working on? I want at least 1-2 exciting reveals or details on things like Avowed. Otherwise this will be another write-off year for MS. (yes, outside of all the gamepass thing)
Yes because let's go with the assumption of a rumor and go on with it. Yes, let's set this expectation.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

So it's nothing to have three huge games launch in one year, that are spread across multiple genres? These would all be day one buys for me and offer hundreds of hours of gameplay. It's pretty much an entire years worth of heavy weight exclusives within a 6 month window...If they all make it out in 2021.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
So it's nothing to have three huge games launch in one year, that are spread across multiple genres? These would all be day one buys for me and offer hundreds of hours of gameplay. It's pretty much an entire years worth of heavy weight exclusives within a 6 month window...If they all make it out in 2021.

It's nothing unless you're already a fan of these games. Every time I hear Halo/Forza (Gears) my eyes keep rolling harder back. So what if they are in different genres, those are iterative installments in franchises that have 5+ entries each. Call me spoiled but can't we get something exciting and genuinely new from Microsoft on it's biggest announcement of the year? I mean while Sony completely redesigned God of War and got studios completely changing their projects and getting awesome results (HZD, GOT, Spiderman etc.), can the BIG BLOWOUT FROM MS not be another iteration of Halo that barely evolves cause it's stuck between legacy fans that don't want aim-at-sights/sprint and CoD crowd who finds it old and outdated? Or another Forza, jeez, I wonder what I'm getting in this package.

So good for you, I guess, but with 25+ studios I think I can expect a bit more innovation and not 2 long-standing franchises and a modern Bethesda game that we already knew about.

Starfield is a big unknown of this conference but until we get some gameplay - I ain't sold. We know it's big, we know it's in space, we know it uses the same engine as always - so expect bugs. They need to pull a Returnal on me with this one - show good polished gameplay and after not delivering anything of truly great since Skyrim, I think I'm within my rights to be skeptical. I do hope this rumor is false and we will get more, even if it's 2022 stuff.

reksveks

It's nothing unless you're already a fan of these games. Every time I hear Halo/Forza (Gears) my eyes keep rolling harder back. So what if they are in different genres, those are iterative installments in franchises that have 5+ entries each. Call me spoiled but can't we get something exciting and genuinely new from Microsoft on it's biggest announcement of the year? I mean while Sony completely redesigned God of War and got studios completely changing their projects and getting awesome results (HZD, GOT, Spiderman etc.), can the BIG BLOWOUT FROM MS not be another iteration of Halo that barely evolves cause it's stuck between legacy fans that don't want aim-at-sights/sprint and CoD crowd who finds it old and outdated? Or another Forza, jeez, I wonder what I'm getting in this package.

So good for you, I guess, but with 25+ studios I think I can expect a bit more innovation and not 2 long-standing franchises and a modern Bethesda game that we already knew about.

Starfield is a big unknown of this conference but until we get some gameplay - I ain't sold. We know it's big, we know it's in space, we know it uses the same engine as always - so expect bugs. They need to pull a Returnal on me with this one - show good polished gameplay and after not delivering anything of truly great since Skyrim, I think I'm within my rights to be skeptical. I do hope this rumor is false and we will get more, even if it's 2022 stuff.
Think this rumour is purely for 2021 releases and there will be some updates on some other games.

Interested to see Project Mara personally

Jooxed

Gold Member
I hope so. Really looking forward to picking up an Xbox for the first time. Just need to see what they are bringing to the table.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Halo rerelease
What "rerelease"?
Sony completely redesigned God of War and got studios completely changing their projects and getting awesome results (HZD, GOT, Spiderman etc.), can the BIG BLOWOUT FROM MS not be another iteration of Halo that barely evolves that barely evolves cause it's stuck between legacy fans that don't want aim-at-sights/sprint and CoD crowd who finds it old and outdated?
There has never any need or demand for "completely redesigning" Halo's gameplay. Its just a checkmark for console warring. We just need a modern Halo with classic gameplay. No need to fix something that already works.
a yearly Forza
Forza has not been a yearly since 2018.
Or another Forza, jeez,
Unlike some internet console warriors suggest, people actually enjoy these games.
Personally I disagree with the Forza Horizon rumour. I believe next horizon will definitely be after motorsport. And recently we got further confirmation on this.
Starfield is a big unknown of this conference but until we get some gameplay - I ain't sold. We know it's big, we know it's in space, we know it uses the same engine as always - so expect bugs.
They said the engine is a complete redesign. Also,

Thats a level designer at Arkane. Skyrim was impressive when it came out in 2011 for PS3/360/PC.
Where is Hellblade, all those studios that MS bought - what are they working on? I want at least 1-2 exciting reveals or details on things like Avowed. Otherwise this will be another write-off year for MS.
We will definitely see them though. Even from Zenimax studios like Arkane Austin and Machinegames. Why are you treating like an official confirmation. That said Halo Infinite and Starfield will probably release this year while Hellblade II/Everwild may be 2022(or even some other Zenimax studio project).

Last edited:

Chukhopops

So you’re saying they should ignore the fans who actually enjoy Halo and haven’t played a game since Guardians 6 years ago, and instead chase the audience that doesn’t like Halo anyway?
I respect every opinion (it’s tough sometimes) but I’m glad they don’t give Halo the GoW treatment.

Same for Forza Horizon, well if you don’t like racing games you won’t like it but it’s a huge series and an Xbox flagship.

I don't think there is any reason to be upset over this rumor. Even if true there will be much much more as far as games and announcements are concerned.

That's great to hear but when are they releasing? If not this year, then just more waiting for E3 memes at this point. Would also be nice to see gameplay, hopefully not CGI trailers.

HurtGravy

Neo Member
That's disappointing to me, this should be a big Christmas 2021 game IMO. I'm sick of reading how MS have all these studies and games in development. They need to start showing them and more so getting out.
FM8 will be the forza coming out this year. Playground games are supporting FH4 with all new dlc coming later this this year then FH5 will be out fall 2022.

Give us Japan, or we riot
At this point I don't think it will ever happen despite Japan being the perfect setting IMO. The team seems too Euro centric and too obsessed with supercars (which I don't generally care for much.)
  • One of the biggest active car cultures with tons of variety. Japan loves everything. There's the typical "JDM" stuff, you have USDM, and you have Euro stuff as well.
  • Rich automotive history
  • Variety of locations: City streets, wangan, and multiple touge on top of the standard country roads.
I know some people disliked it but I liked the British setting quite a bit but I'm also a fan of British culture quite a bit.

sobaka770

Banned
What "rerelease"?

There has never any need or demand for "completely redesigning" Halo's gameplay. Its just a checkmark for console warring. We just need a modern Halo with classic gameplay. No need to fix something that already works.

Forza has not been a yearly since 2018.

Unlike some internet console warriors suggest, people actually enjoy these games.
Personally I disagree with the Forza Horizon rumour. I believe next horizon will definitely be after motorsport. And recently we got further confirmation on this.

They said the engine is a complete redesign. Also,

Thats a level designer at Arkane. Skyrim was impressive when it came out in 2011 for PS3/360/PC.

This is just 2021 though. These could be 2022 or later.

You're trying to nitpick a very simple argument - if Halo and Forza are a big deal, then MS will not capture additional audience. They already have Halo and Forza audiences, a lot of people who replied to me are in these groups and surely, MS should deliver stuff for them. But MS has been only focusing on these fans for a very very long time and as a person who is not interested in either it's been years since anything worthwhile was announced by MS and was released to worldwide acclaim.

So they put billions into Bethesda so they can showcase Starfield now. That's potentially interesting but all we've seen is a logo and a screenshot. So basically GoW: Ragnarok level of information. You think I don't know that engines evolve, jeez CoD has been made on some form of Quake engine for almost a decade - I fully expect Starfield to look at least contemporary (even if I'm fairly certain it's a cross-gen title). I get that, but despite being awesome for 2011 - Skyrim was also a buggy mess that would make Cyberpunk 77 cringe at times. I am cautiously optimistic but it needs to be a good showcase, Skyrim's bugginess won't fly in 2021, there are just too many open-world polished games to play today. Bethesda's latest results were FO4 (meh) and FO76. It's like saying Dragon Age Origins was awesome so DA4 will be ace but Bioware's latest was fucking Andromeda and Anthem so the burden of winning my trust back is on them (and I love my peak Bioware).

All being said you nitpick to paint me as some warrior but I come from a perspective of someone who is not a core MS base of Gears/Halo/Forza and looks for interesting AAA games to play from them after all the acquisitions. That's not a niche market and MS has to show something different than same franchises. They have the studios and they have the talent - HB2 has been in development for a while for example. That would get me excited. So I hope it's correct that these are only 2021 releases and 2022 games will also be shown. We are going off a single tweet here after all.

Bernkastel

Going to call bullshit on all of that unless you have a source.
We also need some source for this "Forza Horizon rumour". They showed Forza Motorsport last year and now. Also,

Still no word on Forza Horizon. It will definitely come after Motorsport. Next Forza Horizon will use the new ForzaTech engine.

Reactions: JLB

sainraja

So you’re saying they should ignore the fans who actually enjoy Halo and haven’t played a game since Guardians 6 years ago, and instead chase the audience that doesn’t like Halo anyway?
I respect every opinion (it’s tough sometimes) but I’m glad they don’t give Halo the GoW treatment.

Same for Forza Horizon, well if you don’t like racing games you won’t like it but it’s a huge series and an Xbox flagship.
Would it be such a bad thing if they were to modernize it? (not saying they aren't, they might as well be within the Halo format); I'd give Halo another go if they release something that feels like what Bungie ended up doing later with Destiny 1/2 (no I am not saying it should be Destiny).

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Excited for Starfield and Halo Infinite.

Not much of a car guy but I’ll take FH. Doubt they’ll show it before Forza Motorsport though.

JLB

Banned
We also need some source for this "Forza Horizon rumour". They showed Forza Motorsport last year and now. Also,

Still no word on Forza Horizon. It will definitely come after Motorsport. Next Forza Horizon will use the new ForzaTech engine.

Thats my assumption. Motorsport is a 2 year game cycle, and last game was released on 2017. It was already known that they were working n a revamp of the engine for next gen, and well, covid shit happened in the meantime, but between end of this year - early next for Motorsport is a given.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

all valid points, for me personally it will be 6 years since the last halo and a few years since horizon 4 plus star field should be amazing. We know Sony was trying to lock it in as an exclusive so there must be quality there. I personally enjoyed fallout 4 and the dlc, I think that’s a potential massive game.

it’s fine to want more and I hear what you are saying. Hopefully ms brings something that will blow you away. I can’t wait for the next god of war and horizon but they are more sequels. I don’t think anyone has shown a new ip that looks mind blowing.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Of course. Because that means Phil Spencer deliberately canceled PS5 version which WAS in development since Sony tried to sign a timed exclusivity deal.
Let the Starfield salt begin.

Outer Space Astronaut GIF by NASA

It's nothing unless you're already a fan of these games.

Sounds like a you problem.

Where is Hellblade, all those studios that MS bought - what are they working on?

Oh, you want to know everything that everyone is working on before the actual time period/event where everyone is aiming to reveal what they're working on?
Again, sounds like a you problem.

Every time I hear Halo/Forza (Gears) my eyes keep rolling harder back. So what if they are in different genres, those are iterative installments in franchises that have 5+ entries each.

Thats funny because the 3 biggest PS5 releases everyone was excited for this year were Ratchet Rift Apart, Gran Turismo 7 and God of War Ragnarok; all old franchises that have 5+ entries each.
But let me guess..'its different' with those games right?

Starfield is a big unknown of this conference but until we get some gameplay - I ain't sold.

..okay? That's generally how it goes with any game.

I wonder how big will be the hype for Starfield. Probably a lot of people will try to downplay it because it is not coming on Playstation.
Also I think Wolfenstein 3 is also coming this year.

I hope we will get Japan one day. Japan has a big history with racing. Some Initial D DLC would be cool. Or imagine the trailer starting with Deja Vu and Trueno.

Let the Starfield salt begin.
"It is not port begging because Starfield port for PS5 exists" Sounds already salty.
Well, maybe they will show sometime in the future like with Gears of War 3 PS3 port.

Last edited:
Port begging yet Starfield was already in development for both current gen consoles, just Sony tried to deal a timed exclusive last year. Nice try, mate

LOL, port begging, yet PS5 version exists.
Well it did but not no more, that's business for you, you think they should release for the PS5?

Bernkastel

All being said you nitpick to paint me as some warrior but I come from a perspective of someone who is not a core MS base of Gears/Halo/Forza and looks for interesting AAA games to play from them after all the acquisitions. That's not a niche market and MS has to show something different than same franchises.
You're trying to nitpick a very simple argument - if Halo and Forza are a big deal, then MS will not capture additional audience. They already have Halo and Forza audiences, a lot of people who replied to me are in these groups and surely, MS should deliver stuff for them. But MS has been only focusing on these fans for a very very long time and as a person who is not interested in either it's been years since anything worthwhile was announced by MS and was released to worldwide acclaim.
Define focusing? There were a lot of variety exclusives in OG Xbox/Xbox 360 generation. Its just that going into Xbox One they didn't have as many first party studios.
Ekx4X4iW0AMQyOU.jpg

In late 2017 Windows and Devices Group(which also contained Xbox) was dissolved and its head Terry Myerson eventually left. Xbox is now an actual division and Phil Spencer got a promotion, now reporting directly to the CEO. Since then they even making all those studio purchases.
I get that, but despite being awesome for 2011 - Skyrim was also a buggy mess that would make Cyberpunk 77 cringe at times.
People put hundreds of hours into vanilla Skyrim without complaining. Can't say the same about Cyberpunk 2077.

Skyrim Metacritic
Cyberpunk 2077 Metacritic
Maybe you should think how these games were perceived when they came out.

I find it amazing that Forza 8 (or whatever it's going to be called) isn't more advanced in its development. It's been nearly 4 years and Turn 10 could usually pump out each new Forza every 2 years even with a jump to a new console.
Hope it means its going to be something really special
Going by what Dan has been talking about in the last 6 months, the new Forza engine is a lot more complicated than any previous racing sims. They're simulating things like air density, humidity, ambient temperatures and wind-related forces. T10 has been basically working on the just the Forzatech engine from the time they stopped working on Forza 7 updates to the announcement they were in early development on the new game over two years later. Even the car modeling has spilled over to Playground (PG were hiring artists for that purpose last year)

Considering the Forzatech engine is what was used for Microsoft Flight Simulator I'm hoping that means that control surfaces like spoilers and the car's body aero itself will be more closely simulated for more realistic drafting, air turbulance near things like walls and other cars, etc.

Sebastian Wloch, Asobo CEO - "Then, we had the great support of Turn 10 during all the years of development of the simulator to learn all the physics, photo-realism, density and base structure of the FTech Engine, which in the version we used, was slightly modified to support the large load of data. "

Forza Motorsport will use an evolved version of that same engine. They also made decent strides after the release of FM7 to implement regulations for online racing. If they incorporate that, make a better effort to cover things like pit strategy and other realistic race conditions T10 has a good chance of knocking it out of the park.

I'm expecting the new Forza Motorsport to be the only one for the next decade or so, more of a GAAS, which actually works for franchises that are typically annual or bi-annual releases. It could release as an easily updatable platform where they can make changes to the game's engine as the platform ages to improve both performance and visuals, add content over the years and evolve as new ideas come in, much like MSFS has already been doing.

Bernkastel

Considering the Forzatech engine is what was used for Microsoft Flight Simulator I'm hoping that means that control surfaces like spoilers and the car's body aero itself will be more closely simulated for more realistic drafting, air turbulance near things like walls and other cars, etc.
They never said Flight Simulator uses Forzatech engine. But twice they have said that Fliight Simulator uses Asobo's in-house engine (which was also used in Plague's Tale). Why do people spread this FUD without any source?

Top Bottom