• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Infinite Season 2 arrives on May 3

Complistic

How long are seasons typically, 3 months? If they give us 2 new maps every 3 months I'd probably be happy with that. If the maps are good.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You can hear people begging for more maps all at once you look at other halos they get maps over time that’s the way dlc works.

Papacheeks

Banned
Crime: IP Management Failure, Possible Attempt At Second-Degree Murder of Marquee IP

Prime Suspects: Matt Booty & Bonnie Ross

Inherited from uncle Phil’s great management of studios under his tenure. Remember even though he took over in 2014 for whole division. Before that he was head of software. Aka their internal teams/studios. So 343’s issues were unchanged under him.

Same goes for RARE. He’s not good at his job.

ZehDon

Well I assumed that's what the seasonal model was for. If Coop is going live then adjustments to enemy density, placement etc is a perfect way to add a small little mission.

Story can't go anywhere but up fortunately...
This has been misrepresented.

They're not adding to the single player campaign at all - they're adding to their multiplayer story. So far, this has been nothing but an introduction cutscene with the Spartan Commander Agryna, who was supposed to be a major part of this "story". So much so, she replaced Jeff Steitzer as the announcer in Big Team Battles. Of course, like everything 343i has done, they've walked that back after fan outcry, and added Jeff back in. So, who knows what terribly story they've got in store to cram into their dying F2P game. The last time they tried piece meal story releases, we got Spartan Ops for Halo 4 - a terrible attempt to reuse content to tell a terrible story that they swept under the rug when it failed. Fun fact: lead writer for Spartan Ops went on to be the lead narrative guy on Halo 5.

clarky

Gold Member
The fact its taking six fucking months to add anything at all is absolutely asinine. Halo 5 got this right and that game was a travesty.
Halo 5 absolutely did not get this right either, most of the new maps where either forge maps or remixes of existing (already just ok) maps. Also it was filled with MTX and the amour o my days what a pile of shit 99% of the amour was. Good job the game play was top notch (Arena) and we had a progression system.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Fantastic video, I burst out laughing at the MCC launch because I had forgotton how bad it was... but jesus it was bad, its funny that 343 manages to again and again make the same mistakes and have the same issues...

But yeah video helps summarise the whole distrust, or should I say lack of faith towards 343 on turning things around, because historically it takes years, if they ever truly get there at all.

Pedro Motta

giphy.gif

Codes 208

Halo 5 absolutely did not get this right either, most of the new maps where either forge maps or remixes of existing (already just ok) maps. Also it was filled with MTX and the amour o my days what a pile of shit 99% of the amour was. Good job the game play was top notch (Arena) and we had a progression system.
I will happily take that *free* MTX/REQ system that only took me about a month to complete than the godawful “$15 for just this one armor set” BS we got with infinite

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
What was the budget for this game?

How the fuck did older Halo games perform better than this piece of shit and felt complete upon release?

Management must be shit to do this free to play service garbage. Elden Ring is more successful.

clarky

Gold Member
I will happily take that *free* MTX/REQ system that only took me about a month to complete than the godawful “$15 for just this one armor set” BS we got with infinite
If you "completed" the Halo 5 Req system in under a month then I salute you sir. Especially if you didn't spend any money.

If I recall the final "pack" was only obtainable from rank 152 or some shit. so you did very well indeed.

Also fuck loot boxes, no thanks. But each to their own.

Last edited:
Inherited from uncle Phil’s great management of studios under his tenure. Remember even though he took over in 2014 for whole division. Before that he was head of software. Aka their internal teams/studios. So 343’s issues were unchanged under him.

Same goes for RARE. He’s not good at his job.

I think outside of the creative stuff, Phil knows what he's doing. After all he managed to somehow convince Satya Nadella to not only promote him - TWICE! - , but also to invest big into gaming again when they were considering just shuttering the Xbox division altogether. I don't know what skills of convincing Phil has in that regard, but they sure seemed to work.

It's true tho that in terms of creative software leadership, there's a lot to ask for. Don Mattrick gets a lot of flack but, he did have a fairly strong game design background, and pushed exclusive content for the XBO at launch, including a lot of core-focused stuff besides Halo/Gears/Forza. Phil cancelled a lot of projects (Scalebound, Phantom Dust, etc.), shuttered Lionhead, and I don't know why they let Crackdown 3 release the way it did, or State of Decay 2 for that matter.

But they did turn around MCC. It's an amazing package. Second only to my own.

Touche.

Better than nothing. Free maps and modes for a fun game that is free.

Like ZehDon ZehDon said, that's a super-low bar. You're basically kind of saying Halo is now a flash game on Newgrounds. That's not good at all considering Halo once used to lead the FPS genre and carried Xbox all on its own.

clarky

Gold Member
also, the game isn't free. they just removed the multiplayer part from that 60€ package and completely ruined it along the way.

I know they did it so they can justify the shop, but you can't say it isnt free.

Ya'll need to stop living in the past and move on. Halo these days is like getting back with an ex girlfriend, fleeting moments of things that once where but it will never be the same no matter how hard you try.

Although if 343 ever gets its shit together you never know right?

Last edited:

Banned
I know they did it so they can justify the shop, but you can't say it isnt free.

Ya'll need to stop living in the past and move on. Halo these days is like getting back with an ex girlfriend, fleeting moments of things that once where but it will never be the same no matter how hard you try.

Although if 343 ever gets its shit together you never know right?

Halo Infinite is not free. the really terribly made Multiplayer they decided to not sell with the game is free.

and yes, at this point Halo is dead to me. I uninstalled on both PC and Xbox, 343 killed it and I have zero hope for it to ever come back in a way that isn't shit... all I wanna see now is that it crashes and burns, so that this dogshit team finally gets closed and fired, especially all the upper tier staff that ran this shitshow for years without improvement.
at least give me that bit of schadenfreude 343!

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
Halo Infinite is not free. the really terribly made Multiplayer they decided to not sell with the game is free.

and yes, at this point Halo is dead to me. I uninstalled on both PC and Xbox, 343 killed it and I have zero hope for it to ever come back in a way that isn't shit... all I wanna see now is that it crashes and burns, so that this dogshit team finally gets closed and fired, especially all the upper tier staff that ran this shitshow for years without improvement.
at least give me that bit of schadenfreude 343!
Whoa now Infinite has been my favorite multiplayer game this gen. Gameplay is super fun. There's nothing else out there that plays quite like Halo.

My major qualms with 343 is the lack of content. Which will surely get fixed with time but I definitely feel they should get shit for it in the meantime. Also 343 really needs to acknowlwdge how patient people have been with them. After an extended season you would think they'd have thrown an extra map or some extra content our way to show appreciation to the fans.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
You mean worst managed team and snowflakes to boot, this is a free to play game.
Being free to play has nothing to do with this conversation. It is a AAA next gen Halo title whose multiplayer is free. If you are gonna complain "Its 500 devs, thats too much for a Halo game, what are they doing?", than you are to compare it with how big the team for other multiplayer focused FPS titles.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Being free to play has nothing to do with this conversation. It is a AAA next gen Halo title whose multiplayer is free. If you are gonna complain "Its 500 devs, thats too much for a Halo game, what are they doing?", than you are to compare it with how big the team for other multiplayer focused FPS titles.
Respawn Entertainment had 300 employees in 2019 and have between 300-500 employees now.

Titanfall 2014
Titanfall 2 2016
Apex Legends 2019
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order 2019

Petopia

Banned
Free to play games are supposed to get content outta the rip, them doing it now is what killed the game hence the player retention or lack there of.

Batiman

Banned
Should have more maps ready but still hyped. Just got back into it a week ago and loving it again. I probably should of just waited for this season to drop but oh well. Still the best MP shooter to play wt the moment. I’ll probably swap between this and Apex on and off

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Been playing ranked "whole" weekend. So much room for (skill) improvement. Out strafing your opponents teams lead slayer feels so good especially because I'm drunk lmao. Recharge is such a nice map

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Respawn Entertainment had 300 employees in 2019 and have between 300-500 employees now.

Titanfall 2014
Titanfall 2 2016
Apex Legends 2019
Its still just a battle royale on source engine though. They killed Titanfall 3 to continue working on Apex Legends. I think whatever the hybrid Firefight mode Certain Affinity is working on is comparable to Respawn's work on Apex Legends(Certain Affinity is also working on their Monster Hunter inspired title for Xbox)
If I may add id Software is dropping hints for a Quake game. If that is more aimed as a multiplayer Arena shooter unlike Doom(which is more single player focused) than that would be another multiplayer focused FPS with a sub-500 studio team.
My point being people stop pretending that 343i is overstaffed for Halo Infinite because they have "500+ devs". That many devs on one FPS is nothing out of ordinary, infact most actually have way bigger teams.

clarky

Gold Member
Been playing ranked "whole" weekend. So much room for (skill) improvement. Out strafing your opponents teams lead slayer feels so good especially because I'm drunk lmao. Recharge is such a nice map
I know the forum and the rest on the nerds on the internet are fairly (very) down on this game just now and the state of things is not acceptable to many but a bit of patience and i'm sure in a few seasons time it will be in a great place. When its good, its really fucking good.

Titanfall 2014
Titanfall 2 2016
Apex Legends 2019

That makes me kind of sad to read. 300 - 500 employees, and yet not a single one is available to fix Titanfall 1 and 2, which have been unplayable on all platforms since last year due to DDOS attacks.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Its still just a battle royale on source engine though. They killed Titanfall 3 to continue working on Apex Legends. I think whatever the hybrid Firefight mode Certain Affinity is working on is comparable to Respawn's work on Apex Legends(Certain Affinity is also working on their Monster Hunter inspired title for Xbox)
If I may add id Software is dropping hints for a Quake game. If that is more aimed as a multiplayer Arena shooter unlike Doom(which is more single player focused) than that would be another multiplayer focused FPS with a sub-500 studio team.
My point being people stop pretending that 343i is overstaffed for Halo Infinite because they have "500+ devs". That many devs on one FPS is nothing out of ordinary, infact most actually have way bigger teams.

500+ fulltime employees

+

7 years of development

+

God knows how many contract workers from outside agencies.

Your point is interesting but it reads like you're vying for a PR position at MS more than trying to accurately represent the competency, or lack there of, of 343.

Ultimately, a studio of that size and budget shouldn't produce a game that very few play just a few months after release. It looks terrible when you consider the dev sizes and products of Splitgate and Valheim.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

Map preview goes live in the morning. Breaker looks nice from the thumbnail. Looking forward to season 2.

Last edited:
Anyone else feel that the lack of content and modes is so piss-poor that it has to be by design? Drip feeding content, with the low player count, isn't going to change much. The people who love it will love it no matter what, but to bring the players back you need a big splashy surprise.

Maybe we will see Halo Infinite added to the MCC, including 120fps mode, RT, Co-Op, Forge etc etc as a 're-release' or GOTY edition at the back end of this year.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just finished the battle pass. Every challenge for the last 3 days was based around free for all which I hate, don't know what that was about. Pretty shit tbh.

Ozriel

M$FT
500+ fulltime employees

+

7 years of development

+

God knows how many contract workers from outside agencies.

Your point is interesting but it reads like you're vying for a PR position at MS more than trying to accurately represent the competency, or lack there of, of 343.

Ultimately, a studio of that size and budget shouldn't produce a game that very few play just a few months after release. It looks terrible when you consider the dev sizes and products of Splitgate and Valheim.

Lol, we've moved to '7 years of development' now. Pretty soon you'll throw in '$500 million budget'.

Console warriors throwing everything and the kitchen sink to try to discredit this game

Still yet to have it explained what complaints about MP content have to do with the competency of developers at 343.

20k+ players daily isn't 'very few'. And since when did Splitgate have a campaign? What are the review scores of both products, compared?

Lol, we've moved to '7 years of development' now. Pretty soon you'll throw in '$500 million budget'.

Console warriors throwing everything and the kitchen sink to try to discredit this game

Still yet to have it explained what complaints about MP content have to do with the competency of developers at 343.

20k+ players daily isn't 'very few'. And since when did Splitgate have a campaign? What are the review scores of both products, compared?
Easy to single out the trolls here but I'd imagine you like myself are not thrilled with how Infinite has been handled up to now? I enjoyed Infinite but was left with a feeling that this could have been so much more. The 500 million budget is probably made up but it certainly wasn't made on the cheap either. I'm willing to allow a year after launch for them to add significant content and improvements but us Halo fans deserve better from 343.

Top Bottom