• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Rumored to Feature a God-of-War-Style “Single Shot” Campaign

According to a new rumor, the new Halo may be taking notes from one of Sony’s biggest exclusives, God of War.

"Halo Infinite has something in common with God of War, that we'll point out after it's revealed, that we've learned about recently that's really cool. Again, Halo Infinite, apparently, is a juggernaut. All the stuff you've seen has been in-engine, no bullsh*t, 60fps, and that's not even with ray tracing or anything. I can't wait to see more on the game, considering we'll be playing it sooner rather than later."

Source Microsoft insider Dealer

confirmed by another microsoft insider on Resetera "Klobrille"
brought up the possibility that Infinite will have a “single-shot” campaign similar to GoW

How would this work i don't know, what do you guys think of this.

Stuart360

I dont know about this 'single shot' thing, but i have thought Halo will be open world in some way. Maybe open world sections like GOW. or smaller open worlds representing different planets etc, or even maybe one big open world map, although i doubt that.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For the first time ever, im actually very hyped for a Halo game. July can't get here soon enough. Actually, scratch that, November can't get here soon enough.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Man that sounds just delicious. I hope it goes from 1st person, straight into cutscenes, then back into the action though, because that's just how I feel Halo should be. But I am up for being pleasantly surprised by something new.

Calling it now (and I called it when the first Halo Infinite trailer dropped) this will be an open-world game. Or semi-open, with a lot of the Halo ring explorable.

*edit: I hope it's M rated. I want to paint the hallways with the covenants blood! Halo 5 being rated Teen just didn't feel right. It just felt like a corporate discussion to make the game more "accessible" for more people. In fact Halo 5 in general just felt corporate and uninspired.

Last edited:

FrankCaron

If this campaign setting isn't literally a whole Halo ring that's entirely drive-able and you can do the full loop, paired with an iterative Battle Royale mode taking all the evolutions Warzone has brought into the mix alongside the standard multiplayer fare with full-blown money'd tournies, Forge, and integrated streaming across seasonal content for novel modes (e.g., Warthog races, etc.) with all the trimmings and fewer performance-based loot box trappings, then MS really missed the mark.

Gears 5 has arguably the best multiplayer content plan and strategy of the series (as well as MS' first party team output) and likely serves as a great leading indicator to what Halo will look like, so I feel pretty confident with the above.

Last edited:
What does “God of War style” mean? That formula was new for the franchise but not new for the industry or anything. It was just a third person action game. Is it going to introduce open world elements with a hub?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Meh.. honestly would rather have actual loading screens than being forced to walk through dumb loading tunnels.

But I welcome an open world format.

VertigoOA

Banned
It’s an FPS.... everything is single shot... lol

To me that means loaded with cinematics. Where as most halo in-game storytelling was still told in gameplay.

343 still don’t get it.

Last edited:
I have GOW but haven't got around to playing it yet. What is single shot?

Cutscenes all in-camera and loading screens are masked. No time or geography skips, everything happens in real time. Until the character gets bonked on the head and becomes conveniently unconscious.

Vawn

Banned
Wanting to reach God of War quality is one thing. Pulling it off is another. Let's wait and see. I haven't seen anything from 343 that would lead me to expect this, but stranger things have happened.

Wanting to reach God of War quality is one thing. Pulling it off is another. Let's wait and see. I haven't seen anything from 343 that would lead me to expect this, but stranger things have happened.

GOW quality in single shot?

The narrative director and associate creative director(Paul Crocker) on Halo Infinite is the former Lead Narrative designer in Rocksteadys Batman games. Good sign.

Last edited:

baphomet

It’s an FPS.... everything is single shot... lol

To me that means loaded with cinematics. Where as most halo in-game storytelling was still told in gameplay.

343 still don’t get it.

It would mean the entire game, start to finish, is viewed through the helmet. Including cinematics.

Dolomite

I have GOW but haven't got around to playing it yet. What is single shot?
I think it means either no "cutscenes as we know them" where the camera leaves and cuts to different angles for dialogue. Or something like the camera remaining in first person even during cutscenes. I'm not sure though, someone help me out?

Vawn

Banned
GOW quality in single shot?

The narrative director(Paul Crocker) on Halo Infinite is the former Lead Narrative designer in Rocksteadys Batman games. Good sign.

I didn't know that. Arkham Asylum is a classic. They went downhill from there, but still good games (can't speak for Knight, as I still haven't played it, despite owning it physically).

LordOfChaos

Might be interesting. But it's one of the least important things about it really.

I defended 4 for a while as their first entry in the series, but 5's story just felt like a fanfic to me, especially after the Forerunner trilogy and Hunt the Truth set up so much cool stuff that didn't get used. Infinite may be my make or break for continuing to care about Halo, and I always was deep into the lore before.

Vawn

Banned
I think it means either no "cutscenes as we know them" where the camera leaves and cuts to different angles for dialogue. Or something like the camera remaining in first person even during cutscenes. I'm not sure though, someone help me out?

Yeah, I believe you're right. I forgot about that aspect of the game. I'm sure that is much easier achieved this upcoming generation with SSDs, even though it still requires a conscious plan to pull off.

Last edited:

the_master

I hope they don't fuck it up with an unreplayable campaign.
Halo was more fun when replayed, especially in legendary. The levels where great.

A good choice would be going Destiny style. Open world with replayable strikes and raids, and leveling up.

anyway, Destiny 1 and 2 are already halo 4 and 5

Interesting direction considering Halo4/5 were really about developing the Chief's character where as single shot to me seams like a way of making the player see themselves as the him. Seems like an attempt to go back to their roots, maybe.

Vawn

Banned
In GOW it had only one effect: Limiting the storytelling.
It did not worked.
For an FPS it might be better suited

It only worked to make one of the highest rated games of all time. And having played and platinumed it, it deserved every one of those 10/10s it recieved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom