• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Ranked/Competitive Settings Revealed

TLDR:
  • The BR75 will be the starting weapon.
  • Motion Tracker will be disabled.
  • Grenade Hitmarkers will be disabled.
  • Friendly Fire will be turned on.
  • Modes will be Slayer, Capture the Flag, Strongholds, and Oddball.
  • Weapons, equipment, and grenades on maps will be set on static spawners meaning they will always appear in the same location on each map and mode combination, and will respawn at the same intervals.
Sounds pretty good, might be more appealing to me than the social settings personally.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I can't wait for this, genuinely missing the game after the flight :(

I am sure you'll see more than enough campaign, after horizon 5 has come out. :)
The beta was fucking awesome, but they are being weirdly shy about the campaign. And we are less than two months away. I dont think the campaign is coming this year, they are just waiting for the right time to announce it

The beta was fucking awesome, but they are being weirdly shy about the campaign. And we are less than two months away. I dont think the campaign is coming this year, they are just waiting for the right time to announce it
No it's coming this year, it's pretty much going to be the finished game before they show it again (minus a day 1 update). They've been on shut down for a good while now (just polishing the game and bug fixing). It's coming in very hot but I've a feeling it's going to be very good fingers crossed 🤞

Banned

TLDR:
  • Weapons, equipment, and grenades on maps will be set on static spawners meaning they will always appear in the same location on each map and mode combination, and will respawn at the same intervals.
Sounds pretty good, might be more appealing to me than the social settings personally.

wait, how the fuck isn't half of this NORMAL settings? Halo without friendly fire is a shitshow of nade spams, Nade hitmarkers SHOULD NEVER BE A THING IN HALO PERIOD and locked spawns should also BE ALWAYS A THING

343i really out here showing once again they suck at making a Halo game if this isn't in the normal slayer mode.

"Ranked is input based matchmaking."

Interesting ..

OOOF, say goodbye Xbox OG owners. I mean, not even versus the PC guys (although that will be a slaughter) but the high framerate mode of the series x. Too bad they nuked the series s version of that mode from orbit (but maybe for the best--drops to 540p? YIKES)

wait, how the fuck isn't half of this NORMAL settings? Halo without friendly fire is a shitshow of nade spams, Nade hitmarkers SHOULD NEVER BE A THING IN HALO PERIOD and locked spawns should also BE ALWAYS A THING

343i really out here showing once again they suck at making a Halo game if this isn't in the normal slayer mode.
This game is getting rave previews from pretty much every major game site and you're still hating on the developer? The game will be constantly evolving and improving so just have a little faith and a little patience.

Banned
This game is getting rave previews from pretty much every major game site and you're still hating on the developer? The game will be constantly evolving and improving so just have a little faith and a little patience.

having faith? when the first thing we now know about the final game is that it ONCE AGAIN shits on core elements of Halo, and after 343i released 2 terrible Halo games, and now had to delay this new one FOR A WHOLE YEAR while still releasing it WITHOUT core features like fucking Coop and Forge?
why the fuck should I have faith in an Architect whose last 3 buildings collapsed due to bad structural integrity? because that's what 343i is at the moment

Halo with no friendly fire is not Halo,
Halo without set weapon spawns IS NOT HALO

imagine releasing a new Call of Duty without a loadout system. That's basically the equivalent of what 343i is doing to Halo right now. Core integral game mechanics just taken away because they STILL don't understand what Halo is

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I didn't even realise there were hit markers with grenades. I'll have to pay more attention next time.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

TLDR:
Great settings and modes. This game is going to be so fucking good.

Sounds like what competitive players want, good for them. I hope it's kept to ranked playlists etc.

IMO I have such little interest in those settings or that Recharge map specifically. I call it hack and slash Halo. It's McDonalds serving it up fast and reductive around every corner BR, grenade, melee, callout, rinse repeat. There is none of what makes Halo magic to me, interesting maps where traversal to steal a flag or plant a bomb is rewarded. How about a vehicle run going for wheelmans or support play in a ghost in 4v4 play? Things like a brute shot changing the CQC immensely while your team pushes to gain map control.

I have zero interest in spawn traps and tiny arena maps. Boring AF Halo to me. Now things like Behemoth and Fragmentation hold far more interest. I'm very concerned about the split between 4v4 and BTB with Infinite. It's appearing like Halo 5 and how MCC social is mismanaged currently (yet again a duplicate of competitive) where classic default Halo with cool maps and light vehicles is left out in the cold. The beta was such a success because it wasn't just competitive settings/maps across the board. I'll wait to reserve judgement but classic 4v4 things like Valhalla, Burial Mounds, Coagulation, Relic, Containment, Zanzibar, Standoff, High Ground and more need to be a cornerstone experience in 4v4 teams, arena play forms the foundation for that fun to happen. BTB is great but it's definitely second fiddle to that core default Halo gameplay if you ask me.

Last edited:

Artistic

BR starts?
d91.gif

Last edited:

h00ters

Play ranked and you're fine. These two issues are only issues in Social. They're catering to two audiences this time unlike catering to just one audience in the last few iterations (which were always, in my opinion, the wrong one).

Banned
Play ranked and you're fine. These two issues are only issues in Social. They're catering to two audiences this time unlike catering to just one audience in the last few iterations (which were always, in my opinion, the wrong one).

oh yeah! I can't wait for Ranked Big Team Battle... or ranked with a radar... ranked without CTF and the other modes outside of slayer that the normal ranked playlist will force you to play at random!

no, fuck that. they are again changing Halo for the sake of changing it, completely shitting on core elements of the series AGAIN, FUCK THIS STUDIO

Last edited:
oh yeah! I can't wait for Ranked Big Team Battle... or ranked with a radar... ranked without CTF and the other modes outside of slayer that the normal ranked playlist will force you to play at random!

no, fuck that. they are again changing Halo for the sake of changing it, completely shitting on core elements of the series AGAIN, FUCK THIS STUDIO
How’s options a bad thing it’s stupid to not have options not everyone can play with the skill gap as good halo player myself I’ll like some of my friends who aren’t that good to be able to play the game and have fun.

Banned
How’s options a bad thing it’s stupid to not have options not everyone can play with the skill gap as good halo player myself I’ll like some of my friends who aren’t that good to be able to play the game and have fun.

Halo was never hard to play or pick up, these changes make zero sense, all they ONCE AGAIN do is copy other FPS... that's all 343i ever did... copy other games because they have no idea what they are doing.

Back when Halo 3 came out I played this in split screen with my, back then, 12yo little brother... he almost exclusively used the AR and had so much fun with the game he was almost addicted and wasn't that great at it either.
all these changes will do is people spamming grenades mindlessly, completely ruining the game balance in casual playlists + ruining map design by having random weapons that might completely fuck up that map's balance

it seems player collisions are also still off, even in ranked, ruining many fun things you could do in past Halo games... because why not? right? Call of Duty has no player collision after all! SO COPY THAT! that's all they can do after all these talentless hacks.

also these aren't "options", I have the "option" to play either the sweaty Ranked playlist with game modes in it that are forced on my and that I don't like
or I have the "option" to play a bastardized version of "Halo" that is made by a shitty dev team that should have been shut down years ago, and which completely shits on Halo's core formula once again

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Can't stand no radars in Halo that's a skip from me 343

You want Radar in Ranked?
How easy would defending a point be if you know when enemies are coming

Go play social if you want frikken radar.

P.S Remember Halo playlists evolve with time, we might yet get FF in social as well.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Last time they showed off the Campaign properly, they were mocked so deeply they had to delay the game an entire year. If I were 343i, I wouldn't show off the Campaign again until the very last possible second.

The flights pretty much locked in their audience.
Its got such rave reviews(previews?) from most of the gaming world that they earned back alot of good faith from online.

The chances of the campaign looking worse than the flights are slim so I dont think people can mock the graphics.....which is effectively all people mocked about the game.
Its was near if not fully content complete during the 8 minute showing and the missions change cutscene showed us the game is in pretty good shape considering the number of platforms its being optimized for.

I dont think they need to make another long section of gameplay.....a gameplay trailer or two before launch is all we really need....you were either in for campaign already or out out. (if graphics was enough to deter you, chances are you werent really in)
MP was up in the air, but the flights proved 343 could pull it off.

P.S Remember Halo playlists evolve with time, we might yet get FF in social as well.

There's your issue. Stupid games like KOTH/strongholds/territories/extraction etc being in ranked. Pony up and play flag or bomb. This idea of a fixed position being great for gameplay should have died long ago.

If infinite wants no radar it really needs to ramp up the audio cues to levels akin to Apex awareness. The audio and radar or no radar variants in 4v4 and BTB from the tech previews are lacklustre when compared to Apex. As is much of the mechanics designed around awareness e.g. Apex characters immediately inform you want you're fighting against, easy callouts when spotted vs. 343 having to design superfluous systems such as trails for what items you're holding or overbearing shields/outlines due to customisations. None of which are required or an issue because Respawn have intrinsically better design mechanics from the ground up.

I'm a fan of classic radar, no elevation tells for the life of Halo. Playing Apex for years it's the superior Halo game based on the ping systems, map/squad design for engagements raging over differing map/environment designs and strategy with your movement/offense/defense. It is that classic Halo light vehicles and interesting maps, not the condensed and reductive play of MLG/HCS spawn traps, no radar and instant gratification of tiny arena maps. As much as I liked Infinite tech previews the balance of design mechanics, radar and audio isn't polished enough to go no radar across the board. If 343 are going with a massive departure from ALL previous Halo games by way of no radar they have a helluva lot of work to do in terms of audio/ping/map/game design.

Crap like Recharge and no radar is a massive fucking no from this Halo fan. Behemoth and Fragmentation are a massive fucking yes from this Halo fan.

TL;DR - Competent game design akin to Apex characters, balance, maps, engagements, audio (footsteps, doors etc), pings, awareness and more from the likes of Apex Legends is where they need to head if radar is taken away.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Nah screw that, if you camp in Halo for too long you will most likely lose, good players know when to move and when to not. (Also you have a radar just like your opponent, use it better than them to out predict and form better plans) People like me who are lone wolves need radar for consistent vision so I can formulate a plan of action, it's a main tactic that's been in ranked since halo 1 to 4. Not everyone wants stupid callouts and having to depend on other players. Halo has been designed around it balance wise since it's conception.

Last edited:

Phase

I probably won't play it, but those decisions show they're taking the multiplayer in a great direction. Good to see.

jigglet

Banned
No radar might be annoying if the range wasn't so small in HI. If they don't increase it in general then it's not a huge loss IMO.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is going to be huge. Even all my work colleagues are saying they are going for halo after the cod and bf beta. These are pure pc player elitists.

It's gonna be massive, I hope the servers can take it.....I bet they won't...lol

FireFly

having faith? when the first thing we now know about the final game is that it ONCE AGAIN shits on core elements of Halo, and after 343i released 2 terrible Halo games, and now had to delay this new one FOR A WHOLE YEAR while still releasing it WITHOUT core features like fucking Coop and Forge?
why the fuck should I have faith in an Architect whose last 3 buildings collapsed due to bad structural integrity? because that's what 343i is at the moment

imagine releasing a new Call of Duty without a loadout system. That's basically the equivalent of what 343i is doing to Halo right now. Core integral game mechanics just taken away because they STILL don't understand what Halo is
If you're right, then Halo fans will let 343 know how much the new settings "ruin" the game, and it can be changed to match ranked.

I got a solution for you pal, don't play the game, see how simple that is 😉 This game plays beautifully but because you got a horseshoe up your ass about what "real" Halo is, you are going to complain like a baby 👶 😅.

343 are a great studio who have had to cater Halo to the whining babies over the last decade. If they pull everything together with the troubled development this game has had then kudos to them.

nikos

I could be alone on this, but I wouldn’t be able to play a game that goes as far as having a Mouse Magnetism setting competitively. Not to mention bullet magnetism, and aim assist for controller players.

ZywyPL

Banned

Except CoD is constantly in a perfectly healthy condition and one of the biggest titles in the entire industry, whereas Halo has been becoming less and less relevant with each new installment, exactly because of its outdated mechanisms dating back to the OG Xbox. Nobody wants that anymore except few vocal dinosaurs on the internet, who got what they really want in Halo MCC already.

Assaulty

Absolutely perfect settings for comp gameplay. A Far Cry from the awfull Halo 5 launch settings of AR/Radar spawns. This does mean that I am never touching unranked Halo tho as I think a lot of those settings are just boring and don't reward skill in the slightest between the waaaay to overpowered AR, no friendly fire and full radar.

Top Bottom