• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Official Multiplayer Reveal

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After many months of anticipation, we finally got a chance to look at Halo Infinite multiplayer in action during the Xbox and Bethesda showcase with extra context from the multiplayer developers not long after. Let's slow everything down and take a look at the 11 things you might have missed in the reveal.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Oh My God Wow GIF

Last edited:

the_master

Funny how every Halo that has added sprint dies and is entirely irrelevant shortly after launch.

Care to explain why Halo 3 is currently the most popular Halo game? I wonder if it could have something to do with it not having trashy "modern" gameplay mechanics that don't belong
Thinking Think GIF by The official GIPHY Page for Davis Schulz
Halo 3is great. A masterpiece.
Still it had dual wielding and equipment. 2things that where not great.

Halo 3 was not great because the lack of sprint though. It was great because of the levels, the enemies and the overall gameplay was great, not individual mechanics.

I wish we could have a halo 2 and 3 remake with no dual wielding :)

Naked Lunch

Ok so one thing I heard that im definitely going to need to see/play it first hand is:
from what I understand there are no longer Red vs Blue teams.
This is to preserve everyone's cosmetics - there is now a big blue or red outline around the players. This seems very bad.
Hopefully you can turn this off and set players to red vs blue in the options.
Does anyone know any more on this?

elliot5

Ok so one thing I heard that im definitely going to need to see/play it first hand is:
from what I understand there are no longer Red vs Blue teams.
This is to preserve everyone's cosmetics - there is now a big blue or red outline around the players. This seems very bad.
Hopefully you can turn this off and set players to red vs blue in the options.
Does anyone know any more on this?
there's no info about turning people red and blue painted. You can customize the outline/shader around enemies though to be other colors besides red and blue.

I welcome this change greatly.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

there's no info about turning people red and blue painted. You can customize the outline/shader around enemies though to be other colors besides red and blue.

I welcome this change greatly.
Im not so sure man - I dont want to see these big glowing outlines everywhere. Kinda weak.
I understand why theyre doing it - you never really got to see the way your spartan actually looked outside of Free for All or Firefight - but still.
ill need to play it for myself though to judge.

elliot5

Im not so sure man - I dont want to see these big glowing outlines everywhere. Kinda weak.
I understand why theyre doing it - you never really got to see the way your spartan actually looked outside of Free for All or Firefight - but still.
ill need to play it for myself though to judge.
Well you can see when an enemy is scoped in on they don't glow much at all, but when enemies are more to the sides (or maybe aiming at you?) they have the outline which looks not too dissimilar from a full red body.

unknown.png

Last edited:
My gut reaction to red vs blue was initially WTF@#@#!.

Since playing Apex Legends I realise it's not really necessary. Compared to things like blue/red advantages on some maps historically I'm all for a little change and keeping your skins visible at all times. I want my digital barbie doll to show off my best side.

The glow effect will enhance the usual Halo clear identification too. As long as we don't go COD level of similarity between friend or foe I'm good.

PensivePangolin

Neo Member
Because.

it.

breaks.

Halos.

Gameplay.

Sprint - Can't shoot, elongates maps for a net positive of zero, is a press 'X' to escape mechanic.
Slide - breaks movement, gives small hitbox advantage without speed penalty. Makes crouch unbalanced.
Clamber - can't shoot. Can't move vertaically without having to look in a specific direction instead of being able to jump in any direction while shooting
Grapple for movement. Can't shoot. is just another press 'X' to escape mechanic. Breaks map design and flow.

It.

Breaks.

Halos.

Gameplay.

Still no evidence provided that Halo needs that garbage that straight up breaks it's gameplay.
IMO it needed breaking. You need to have ways to escape, otherwise the gameplay is too static, if you stray outside the positions of power on the map, you're just dead.
It seems like a lot of franchises have these fans that think nothing can be changed about the game or its ruined. It really seems like nostalgia and the comfort of experience that those players have with the older games. And thats fine, but just like, play the older games to enjoy that gameplay? Its mostly what Quake series fans do, and I can see that being a problem before for Halo, with older games being stuck on old consoles, but now with MCC on PC? Why be such a debbie downer, just go play what you want!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So with this approaching along side other shooters like BF and COD just curious how shocking would it be to see the free MP show up on Playstation at launch?

Just asking

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Halo Infinite releases this year and we learned a lot from the first multiplayer tech test. Join Persia as she breaks down bots, limited-time 4v4 Slayer PvP, guns, and important things you should know so far.

Halo Infinite releases this year and we learned a lot from the first multiplayer tech test. Join Persia as she breaks down bots, limited-time 4v4 Slayer PvP, guns, and important things you should know so far. For starters, there are a bunch of quality of life changes to the gameplay and the way you will interact with the map. There is a revamped mini-map that may give some veteran Halo players pause, as the mini-map behaves differently than in previous games. There is also a new ping system allowing you to mark buildings, place waypoints, and target opponents. Your teammates will even have their Spartans make automatic AI callouts so you can still be in the know without actually needing to hop on comms!

The tech preview had 3 maps, and we go into detail on what those maps looked like as well as how they were set up. Maps will have random power weapons that rotate with each match, so there is extra variety keeping the rotation fresh as you replay certain maps. Abilities are also back with franchise staples like the Overshield, but plenty of new abilities make their debut too! The drop shield is an interesting utility allowing you to give yourself some advantageous cover for firefights temporarily. Meanwhile, the grapple hook is a game-changer letting you quickly traverse the terrain despite its limited use.

Lastly, we go deep into a few of the many weapons at your disposal, including all-new weapons like the Commando tactical rifle, and the Skewer.

Naked Lunch

The bots were absolute trash in Infinite. No clue what the fuss is about. I rarely saw games closer than 50-20 vs them. With just a couple rounds - you realized the bots dont go to certain areas of the map - and they wont follow you to these areas even if you are weak. They dont know who to shoot at when surrounded and keep changing targets.
The game completely changed in PvP (of course) when they turned it on for an hour the final day - played like a completely different game.

With this game being both free to play an on so many different platforms at launch there will be no shortage of players - probably ever. Bots are unnecessary. Man up and play PvP.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
The bots were absolute trash in Infinite. No clue what the fuss is about. I rarely saw games closer than 50-20 vs them. With just a couple rounds - you realized the bots dont go to certain areas of the map - and they wont follow you to these areas even if you are weak. They dont know who to shoot at when surrounded and keep changing targets.
The game completely changed in PvP (of course) when they turned it on for an hour the final day - played like a completely different game.

With this game being both free to play an on so many different platforms at launch there will be no shortage of players - probably ever. Bots are unnecessary. Man up and play PvP.
I hate playing against people, I will likely play against bots offline though, assuming that works. I'm all about the campaign tbh, but I'll now dabble in the mp as it has bots. I'm not stupid enough to think I can even begin to compete at my age, even when I was young I was lackluster... I may be persuaded to play BTB though, basically the super casual modes but more for a laugh, I will never keep track of my k/d or anything like that. I like hardcore sp experiences don't get me wrong, but it's not enjoyable for me against players, not even remotely, I have too much anxiety under that kind of pressure and it doesn't subside over time. It is fun to watch skillful people play competitively though.

Last edited:
I hate playing against people, I will likely play against bots offline though, assuming that works. I'm all about the campaign tbh, but I'll now dabble in the mp as it has bots. I'm not stupid enough to think I can even begin to compete at my age, even when I was young I was lackluster... I may be persuaded to play BTB though, basically the super casual modes but more for a laugh, I will never keep track of my k/d or anything like that. I like hardcore sp experiences don't get me wrong, but it's not enjoyable for me against players, not even remotely, I have too much anxiety under that kind of pressure and it doesn't subside over time. It is fun to watch skillful people play competitively though.

You’d be surprised how many online players are just like you. I was rubbish to mediocre in Halo 5 online but had tons of fun. The skill based matchmaking helps, but just try to do well for yourself. No need to set lofty goals to go 20-1 K/D and dominate. Just have fun and try to beat your average. There is also much team strategy that can help well beyond straight skill level.

Naked Lunch

Yeah as the previous poster said (quite well), you might want to give multiplayer a go. Once you get a few rounds under your belt the matchmaking should kick in and put you with people who are at your skill level. The recent Halos have been really good with this.

Im not the greatest player, more above average, but when I play MCC rounds with my more casual friends I can immediately tell the difference in competition. Halo Infinite seems it has all the tools to be pretty popular, so the player base should have a wide range of skill groups.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
My most recent mp experience was Destiny 2, I was getting decimated! It was in the beta mind, maybe the matchmaking hadn't kicked in yet, but I can't say it did wonders for my confidence...Thanks for the kind replies ^^

Last edited:
Looks like a very fun halo game, with that said unfortunately it definitely looks like a cross gen game. Not the next gen blow out I was hoping for, maybe those days have past for halo looking top tier.

Looks like a very fun halo game, with that said unfortunately it definitely looks like a cross gen game. Not the next gen blow out I was hoping for, maybe those days have past for halo looking top tier.

I think Forza Horizon 5 will be that showcase series x game this year. I’m underwhelmed by that in all honesty due to fatigue by those games , hopefully they have something during 2022 before Starfield.

STALKER 2 and Redfall have potential for sure

Yeah possibly mate , Stalker 2 looks good .

I’m hoping for that “wow” game. Best way I can describe it is usually when you buy the next generation a game or two comes along soon enough that makes you think this is why I upgraded. Like when I saw Fight Night round 3 on 360 or Super Wario World on SNES or Ryse on XB1, Heavenly Sword on PS3.

I’m not getting that on Series X so far IMO . It feels like I’ve bought an XB1 extension from the UI to the games library.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
No way they drop 23 maps day 1. If they do have that many then they'll hold some back for season drops for sure. id be happy with 3 BTB and 8 Arena personally.

Anybody who was alive during Halo 3's gameplay reveal and launch knows this ain't true. It didn't even look top tier back then when it launched. Call of Duty 4 ate its lunch graphically. Halo Infinite, based on MP, and if campaign quality is to be believed based on new footage and screenshots, is the best a Halo title has looked with respect to all else available since Halo 4 dropped.

elliot5

Anybody who was alive during Halo 3's gameplay reveal and launch knows this ain't true. It didn't even look top tier back then when it launched. Call of Duty 4 ate its lunch graphically. Halo Infinite, based on MP, and if campaign quality is to be believed based on new footage and screenshots, is the best a Halo title has looked with respect to all else available since Halo 4 dropped.
I don't need Infinite to be a showstopper, I just need it to be fun to play and the flight guaranteed that. Halo 4 does look amazing even today at 4K60. Kinda nuts. Just not very good..

I finished Halo 5 the other day and there are *some* levels that look fantastic, too, from the baked lighting.

stickkidsam

Feels like October would make sense. I just hope it's a week long beta. Playing Reach for a week back in the day was fuckin HYPE.

Codes 208

CoD4 absolutely shat on halo 3 in terms of graphics and effects. Hell Gears 1 came out a year before halo 3 and i would still consider that a
technical marvel in comparison.

but halo 3 shat on it, WaW and even continued to go toe-to-toe with MW2 in terms of gameplay.
Which is what i want: a FUN halo title.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Apart from Halo 4 and maybe 5, Halo was never a top tier looker. Go read any review of Halo 3 for example and you'll see most comment on the graphics being a let down.

Infinite is a cross gen game so of course it looks like one.

Top Bottom