• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - New 4K Screenshots

Renozokii

Damn the trolling in this thread is OOC. Which is it guys:

1. It doesn't look much better
2. It looks worse
3. Somebody colored in the trees
4. I only play at 5000x magnification
5. Non-open world non-FPS game looks better than this
6. This game in development doesn't look finished
7. I have a I <heart> Sony tattoo and can't afford to have it removed so I'll just make up some shit about Halo Infinite instead
1. It doesn’t and will almost definitely look worse than the screen shots from a maxed out pc screen shots when shown in motion.

2. It does not. That’s not fair.
3. There’s like one guy saying that.
4. If they didn’t want people judging these screen shots they could just wait till they are ready to start marketing again and put a trailer out.
5. Games made on hardware 10x less powerful than what this game will be out on should still look at least a tiny bit worse. Infamous second son on ps4 looked better than uncharted 3 did on ps3 despite one being open world and a launch game. Spider-Man mm at 60fps mode on ps5 looks better than most linear games on ps4. I’m not sure what about an FPS is the defining factor in your expectations?
6. I mean it was almost going to come out months ago and most of this development in theory should have been entirely graphics and performance based.
7. People just want a good Halo game that pushes the boundaries like the ogs did. Microsoft is throwing insane money at it. Fans want that money to look like it’s being spent at least half competently. I’m a PlayStation fanboy, I’ll admit it all day. But I remember my time with the original halos very fondly and would gladly spend some extra money to play something that comes close to how fun that was.

Last edited:
1. It doesn’t and will almost definitely look worse than the screen shots from a maxed out pc screen shots when shown in motion.

2. It does not. That’s not fair.
3. There’s like one guy saying that.
4. If they didn’t want people judging these screen shots they could just wait till they are ready to start marketing again and put a trailer out.
5. Games made on hardware 10x less powerful than what this game will be out on should still look at least a tiny bit worse. Infamous second son on ps4 looked better than uncharted 3 did on ps3 despite one being open world and a launch game. Spider-Man mm at 60fps mode on ps5 looks better than most linear games on ps4. I’m not sure what about an FPS is the defining factor in your expectations?
6. I mean it was almost going to come out months ago and most of this development in theory should have been entirely graphics and performance based.
7. People just want a good Halo game that pushes the boundaries like the ogs did. Microsoft is throwing insane money at it. Fans want that money to look like it’s being spent at least half competently. I’m a PlayStation fanboy, I’ll admit it all day. But I remember my time with the original halos very fondly and would gladly spend some extra money to play something that comes close to how fun that was.
I just can't believe how incompetent phill is. He just doesn't know what a good game is, otherwise he would have given Halo to another developer a long time ago. He's just about the numbers, if it sells well then ok.

Scoring mid/high 80s is considered utter trash right?
inowsXu.jpg

NmREj59.jpg

But only if its from Xbox Game Studios obviously.
sJZElpW.jpg

W24TFpd.jpg
User scores are telling there.
But Halo 1-3 and ODST were strong 90s, so it's for sure a step down.

REDRZA MWS

Just give up. This game looks like shit and doesn't matter many paint coatings you throw at it. It looks like shit because there's no art direction, everything seems to have been done by really incompetent people.
Wtf do you care? You’ll never own an Xbox.

REDRZA MWS

user scores you say

Who the fuck is taking about Sony or it’s first party games? This is a Halo Infinite thread. Stay on topic or don’t post.

the_master

Are you familiar with graphical picking? Whether the picking is a zbuffer value or a back buffer colour value used to uniquely identify polygons from each model asset, you are still required to render to a full depth buffer and all visible polygons per frame, anyway, so elaborate hit detection verse a small set of data and a picked item (by depth or polg model ID) from the rendered frame is still the lightest burden on network data and lightest server processing burden to make a game state decision - in a client/service configuration - AFAIK. With network games supporting larger numbers of simultaneous players, I will be surprised if a game server has to do full hit validation from reconstructing all the game's models moving in worldspace for every frame.
I see what you mean, but this is not how projectiles work in games, unless some rare case where there is a game where only the player shoots, and he shoots instant travel projectiles, and the developer wants to use fine details like textures for weakspots or complex skinned meshes. So it would be a very rare case. This can, and is often used for making editor selection tools, which fits the instant traversal from the player/user perspective and can be used to pick partially transparent objects like particles or ui elements, for example.

To use something like this in a game you need to do a very, very simple and very small render(with depth) for each projectile each frame to detect collisions. Not sure if many games, or even if there is any AAA game that uses this technique. I have seen the papers and a demo, but I am not aware of a game using it.

PaintTinJr

I see what you mean, but this is not how projectiles work in games, unless some rare case where there is a game where only the player shoots, and he shoots instant travel projectiles, and the developer wants to use fine details like textures for weakspots or complex skinned meshes. So it would be a very rare case. This can, and is often used for making editor selection tools, which fits the instant traversal from the player/user perspective and can be used to pick partially transparent objects like particles or ui elements, for example.

To use something like this in a game you need to do a very, very simple and very small render(with depth) for each projectile each frame to detect collisions. Not sure if many games, or even if there is any AAA game that uses this technique. I have seen the papers and a demo, but I am not aware of a game using it.
I see the point you are making about the collision system and for projectiles like rockets, spears, throwing knives - where the speed of travel is able to be animated on a network server, and on clients looking side on to such a PvP shot - but guns will naturally be travelling at speeds of +200m per second, so even if a viewing client was rendering at 120fps, you could only render the start and finish points in most PvP situations - like the railgun in quake3 - so rendering the projectile as an object per frame wouldn't seem normal for a competitive shooter IMO; especially as the way shooters have developed since the 90's, there wasn't excess processing power for such a collision scheme until (maybe) the PS3, and I still would expect the system (for guns) to largely work as zbuffer picking point, with an extrapolated hit point based on physics of wind speeds, angle, etc - but a calculation, that's precision is still dependent on the native resolution the game is rendered at and not what can be viewed by a DLSS upscale best guess of what the image should look like at max settings.

Even if I was wrong about the collision system, it still doesn't alter my main point AFAIK, because if you take a game like this, and for example - to keep maths simple - said native res would be 1080p and DLSS option would be 4K, the player when shooting at 1 pixel on the 4K image is still unaware, that each group of 4pixels on the upscale resolves to the same 1 pixel on the gameplay - the 1080p image - which depending if it was on a border of 4 pixels , with 4 others, or at the centre of 4 groups (16pixels) could visually have a clear hit by what they are seeing, yet the discrete locations available on the underlying native resolution/physic engine simulation would be coarsers and resolve to a miss. Something that I believe wouldn't fit with such a highly skilled competitive muliti-player game.

In your comment, when you say " to do a very, very simple and very small render(with depth) ", I presume what you actually mean by "small", is a frustum that is smaller, and encloses just the geometry in the reticule - at the point of trigger press - so that the zbuffer precision would be excellent - because near and far clip planes would be no more than a few metres apart, at best. But would still render the tiny sample of geometry to a full zbuffer, or one that was tied to a fixed-fraction of the native render resolution because the discrete pixels to aim at - and coherently view you are aim at them - is limited by native resolution, so even in the DLSS version, the information by which the player creates the collision is limited to the native rendering resolution. And that's why I think games like this are not suited to DLSS in multiplayer.

Last edited:
Looks like the best place to play this game will be PC. They aren’t even bothering to show series X images.
What a uselessly moronic comment. Ofc a 3080/3090/6800xt/6900xt are going to trounce the series x showing. If you don't want to spend a grand on a gpu (I got my 3080 at launch for msrp but they're a far cry from that now) series X is going to look like a bargain.

They're not going to let it out the door after the original shitstorm without it looking and performing well. To suggest otherwise really just reveals what a troll you must be

Zoro7

Banned
What a uselessly moronic comment. Ofc a 3080/3090/6800xt/6900xt are going to trounce the series x showing. If you don't want to spend a grand on a gpu (I got my 3080 at launch for msrp but they're a far cry from that now) series X is going to look like a bargain.

They're not going to let it out the door after the original shitstorm without it looking and performing well. To suggest otherwise really just reveals what a troll you must be
Be quiet. You’re talking shite.

Top Bottom