• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - New 4K Screenshots

NullZ3r0

Banned
The lack of details is one thing (because the game has / had to run on XB1) but I still don't like the textures and the lighting. The textures and their materiels remind me Fortnite and Life is strange. I think they have a big problem with their art direction.
Many people are bashing the graphics based on arts style instead of a technical nature. This is a conscious decision on 343's part to go back to the classic Halo look of bright colors and a slightly cartoony palette. I for one prefer the realistic style of Halo 4 and 5, but those type of graphics are not conducive to open-world, go-anywhere gameplay. It has nothing to do with processing power but rather the time needed for artists to pour over every nook and cranny to make sure that everything looks photorealistic at every angle.

By adding the grapple shot, we will be able to go places that were not accessible in earlier Halo games. So instead of 343 saying, "We don't need to spend anytime putting textures there because no one will ever see it" they now have to put textures there. Now imagine if they tried to do that with Hellblade 2-level visuals or art style. The game wouldn't come out for another 5 years.

I would love 343 to do a Halo Spin-off of Team Osiris based off of ID Tech that's more of a corridor shooter. I do believe they can tell other stories outside of the Chief saga where the team gets the freedom to do what they want. Hell, an ODST looter shooter based on Unreal Engine 5 would work as well.

They stated clearly in the blogpost that hyper-realism was not a goal for the team or the game engine. They wanted Halo Infinite to invoke the Halo CE aesthetic with simple design philosphy while providing largest sandbox in any Halo game with dynamic day/night cycle, verticality, and solid 60FPS.
You can have sharper textures and less muddy visuals and still accomplish that task.

NullZ3r0

Banned
I'll believe it when it releases. 343i are master manipulators when it comes to marketing and if you fall for this you deserve to be let down again for the....4th time?
He's right, Halo 4 screens look better and that game is 2 generations old. Yes Halo 4 was a linear game, but again, I'll believe this screens when I play them. Halo 5 also had some beautiful pre-release game and that game looks AND plays like crap.
"Looks better" is a subjective statement. It's not based on any facts but rather a preference you have for realistic visuals. These environments look great to me. The closer it gets to the Discover Hope and the Slip Space engine reveal, the better. But I think the environment looks great.

I just need to see how the Covenant looks. I don't like the bald brutes and I thought the Elites looked like shit at the reveal.

Forsythia

This looks great, however I'm more interested in characters. That main guy looked quite cartoony so I'm hoping he gets an upgrade as well.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
This looks great, however I'm more interested in characters. That main guy looked quite cartoony so I'm hoping he gets an upgrade as well.
They showed characters in December.
hi-m41-spnkr-4k-b918161c94c54b769d6ce51db0e26580.png
hi-s7-sniper-4k-6fd1c1141b3c4b4b9f62592f561b2e79.png
hi-multiplayer-map-2-4k-9acaa62eec3a434faedfbd0af67dd93a.png
hi-scorpion-punch-armor-coating-4k-39934e8051124b5ca6de7881098fe028.png
hi-watchdog-armor-coating-ar-4k-86cb7fb5e22143139e8c9f83a378b4a8.png
hi-splinter-desert-armor-coating-4k-dda2f9a1457e4a75bfea71cea384ea61.png
hi-noble-defender-armor-coating-4k-62c27b15525b4f4e8ebe021e0f0e9739.png
hi-watchdog-armor-coating-br-4k-1e8e22c8d2ae41b3ae88e4b42baec8d5.png
hi-campaign-concept-art-4k-4caee7b0e02b4cc5957cb8b715d247d1.png

Dream-Knife

Banned
Looks good to me; hopefully it runs at a great frame rate.

I still haven’t played the campaigns after 2. I’ll need to do that.

MonarchJT

Banned
It looks alright, but I do wonder how a massive team of developers, with the budgets that Microsoft gives them, can produce something so...meh. Are we really wetting ourselves because of a real-time Day & Night cycle? That would've been a selling point 15 years ago.
again show me another semi openworld crossgen FPS that run 60fps that look better than this ..feel free to post screenshot

Last edited:

Kuranghi

If those texture artifacts on the distant structures are from VRS I'm wondering why they didn't disable that for the screenshots 🤔 Its a tool to decrease GPU so you can have higher framerates so I don't know why its on for a screenshot.

I'm guessing its because they didnt want to mislead people by turning it off because it will always be on for the consoles (I'd assume you can turn it off on PC) but I'd rather performance enhancing options be turned off for a promotional shot tbh, I also wish the shots were supersampled or recontructed at least a bit, is that how aliased the game will be on XSX? Possibly its how they will maintain 60fps?

No bullshots is good for when the game is about to come out but not being able to evaulate the art with no distracting VRS artifacts/aliasing would be better here. If it is VRS then its sucks in everything I've seen it in so far: Gears Tactics and this.

The tech presentations on it were great, the id software one in particular, they may have been using best-case scenarios though like an area so dark its near black. I'm happy with a big reduction in quality during camera pans if you can't see it due to the motion/added blur, as long as its back to normal quality with no pop-in effect by the time I stop moving the camera. Thats the only place I can see it being invisible right now, apart from the id software shadowed-area examples.

edit - I've no problem with the art style, I like how Halo 1 looks and I'd be happy for Halo Infinite to follow that style to a tee. Its just not visually impressive to me and has lots of weird graphics artifacts and aliasing that I think makes the overall IQ subpar.

Andodalf Andodalf -edit - You think I'm getting too caught up in the technical details?

Last edited:

FritzJ92

Huge improvement over the last showing but still doesn't look amazing (Many last-gen games look much better than this). On the other hand, Halo isn't really about graphics. They should drop the 60fps on X1.

GoT looks way better than this...
30 FPS, Checkerboard 1800P, built for 2 consoles at 30 FPS... on top of that 1 perspective to really focus on, with no local Co-Op... beautiful game, but Halo Infinite screenshots look better to me considering its targets

Bar81

It looks a lot better than its initial reveal but I still want to see it in motion. What I really want to know is did they get rid of that god damn grappling hook?

Not gonna happen. The grappling hook makes a cameo in Shadows of Reach, a novel with events occurring between Halo 5 and Infinite.

Many people are bashing the graphics based on arts style instead of a technical nature. This is a conscious decision on 343's part to go back to the classic Halo look of bright colors and a slightly cartoony palette. I for one prefer the realistic style of Halo 4 and 5, but those type of graphics are not conducive to open-world, go-anywhere gameplay. It has nothing to do with processing power but rather the time needed for artists to pour over every nook and cranny to make sure that everything looks photorealistic at every angle.

By adding the grapple shot, we will be able to go places that were not accessible in earlier Halo games. So instead of 343 saying, "We don't need to spend anytime putting textures there because no one will ever see it" they now have to put textures there. Now imagine if they tried to do that with Hellblade 2-level visuals or art style. The game wouldn't come out for another 5 years.

I would love 343 to do a Halo Spin-off of Team Osiris based off of ID Tech that's more of a corridor shooter. I do believe they can tell other stories outside of the Chief saga where the team gets the freedom to do what they want. Hell, an ODST looter shooter based on Unreal Engine 5 would work as well.
First Halo had high resolution and realistic textures for the ground. I still remember how sharp those textures were. Here those ground textures look almost cell shaded sometimes.

MonarchJT

Banned
Huge improvement over the last showing but still doesn't look amazing (Many last-gen games look much better than this). On the other hand, Halo isn't really about graphics. They should drop the 60fps on X1.

GoT looks way better than this...
GoT isn't a FPS ...

isoRhythm

Banned
30 FPS, Checkerboard 1800P, built for 2 consoles at 30 FPS... on top of that 1 perspective to really focus on, with no local Co-Op... beautiful game, but Halo Infinite screenshots look better to me considering its targets
Its 60fps on ps5, as I mentioned in my post

GoT isn't a FPS ...
An FPS can't look good? BF1 looks amazing and it's an FPS.

Last edited:

oldergamer

I'm an Xbox fan and love halo.

I think all the screenshots looked great....

Up until I closely examined them - has anyone else noticed the amount of conceptual chalk art/What seems to be conceptual art overlaying/blending into some of the screenshots shown?

Anyone?

There isn't a consistency across images and in particular, the needle on the pine trees - some look chalked in, or mixed atop a conceptual art overlay... but others are highly detailed.

In one image, when looking at the tree line, then gazing towards the cliffs to the right - the conceptual art seems to be blended into the cliffside as well, and in some parts you see highly detailed textures.

It's as if the texture artist is plucking textures from concept art, drawn from conceptual chalk/thickly brushed concept art pieces... and meshing it together with the actual game assets.

Some of the trees in the distance, nay - many... are atrocious, awful and look as if they've been mixed/photoshopped with even worse conceptual art pieces.

I'm pro Xbox, a fan of good graphics too however - and I've seen far better on last gen - so I know Halo is capable of looking far better but for now

what gives with handing gamers photo's seemingly utilizing a blend of conceptual painted art overlaid atop and blended into actual in game screenshots.

Or perhaps they are just plainly using conceptual art for most texture derivatives. Which would be a jarring way to communicate Halo is going to use a mixed art style and filters across assets.

Visual Issues that I as a fan of both Xbox, and Halo... (and next gen graphics) have taken the time to highlight

However I do realize the game has essentially been 'restarted' I think a lot of these issues in fact communicate a partially mixed artstyle, and we haven't heard otherwise.

Dq3pQQH.jpg

wpx4Izh.jpg
c1DgqJC.jpg

acl34Ai.jpg
Dude you're full of it lol

Spokker

I don't get the idea that the Halo series is not synonymous with graphical leaps. The first Halo was a leap for first-person shooters on consoles, what with its lighting, textures, wide open areas and such. Halo 2 brought in those textures that loaded in after the level loaded, had vehicle parts you could shoot off and was an overall late-gen improvement. Halo 3 was 640p but introduced a dynamic lighting engine and had "nice water." Halo 4 was similar to Halo 2 in that it was a late-generation refinement, and holds up well in the Master Chief Collection.

Good graphics and Halo go together well.

Griffon

Shit looks like some mid tier PS4 game.
It's clean and won't distract you from enjoying the gameplay if it's good. But by no way is it groundbreaking.

As long as the gameplay ends up good, I'll grab the game on PC and will have a good time. No matter how lastgen this looks.

Top Bottom