• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite launches holiday 2020, adds Xbox Project Scarlett version

JimiNutz

Banned
There are some rumours about MP being a separate game and may even be free. Its been going on since 2019, but it being free is something we are now hearing.

It would actually be a good move for everyone if they make MP a separate game that's free for everyone (and pre-loaded on every XSX).
It would mean that the player population would be far higher and Halo would probably have a better chance of becoming really popular again.

So long as it's available day one at launch I'd be perfectly fine with it. If the MP part was pushed back though I'll likely hold off on buying an XSX until the MP is ready.

ZywyPL

Banned
I speculated about it quite some time ago, that the "infinite" instead of "6" could mean that the next Halo will be something like WIn10 - more of a platform that's constantly evolving, rather than a product set to be released and forgotten after a yer or two. So think about it as a starter pack, where they could be adding chapters to the story once every few years, instead of new installment, new MP maps, modes, weapons, skins etc.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I speculated about it quite some time ago, that the "infinite" instead of "6" could mean that the next Halo will be something like WIn10 - more of a platform that's constantly evolving, rather than a product set to be released and forgotten after a yer or two. So think about it as a starter pack, where they could be adding chapters to the story once every few years, instead of new installment, new MP maps, modes, weapons, skins etc.
There will be Halo Infinite 2. MP can become a separate constantly evolving game.

Dr Bass

So infinite sounds like it's going to be a huge MP game, maybe every map from every Halo and of course some new ones. So you don't have to "choose" which game to play. You just log into Halo Infinite and everything will go there.

dorkimoe

So infinite sounds like it's going to be a huge MP game, maybe every map from every Halo and of course some new ones. So you don't have to "choose" which game to play. You just log into Halo Infinite and everything will go there.
Fingers crossed for battle royale (yeah i said it)

the_master

If it is a platform, I hope it launches with enough content for a full campaign from the get go.
Although Phil"s comments seem to be for the mcc.
The name infinite instead of 6 does say something.

I hope they stop the call of duty fication.

Replaying all the games, 343 did some good stuff in halo 4 and 5.
But they also fucked some things up which in the end, ruined them a bit.

Even from 4 to 5, they did fix several things, but again, fucked some others like the whole Osiris even existing, cluttered hud, left trigger to aim(why!!!) and a bad story. But improved the prometheans (not great yet, but in the right direction with easier to hit crawlers and the adition of soldiers. Still missing better damage reactions and gameplay interactions) added some better mobility (to be perfected, sure, but they make traveling a bit more fun) and prepared the game for coop teammates (that's great, I wish they had only blue team though)

Halo 4 has a good first stage and great graphics for the time, but the glowing lights everywhere and hard to see enemies makes it displeasing. Same glowing lights in halo 5. Luckyli, what we have seen in infinite is more halo 3 style, which is beautiful.

Can't hold the hype XD

the_master

Every halo map needs its parent game mechanics to work. Otherwise they need to do a readaptation for infinite.

Im far from being a Halo fan but i'm starting to get hyped to see Halo again since i last played Halo 3 on my Xbox 360 many moons ago.

Can we get some Halo gifs or meme's going?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Are you meaning in the same vein as Destiny 2?

That certainly would be interesting for the franchise. If they can get the GAAS formula right it could pay off handsomely for MS.

I also like it because it would allow 343 to work on a new IP while a percentage of their studio is supporting Infinite.

Im far from being a Halo fan but i'm starting to get hyped to see Halo again since i last played Halo 3 on my Xbox 360 many moons ago.

Can we get some Halo gifs or meme's going?

giphy.gif

I also like it because it would allow 343 to work on a new IP while a percentage of their studio is supporting Infinite.

I was under the assumption that 343 was made to solely create Halo (hence the name). I don't think they will ever create a new IP unless someone else takes Halo from them.

Think Phil is obviously referencing the work 343 has made on MCC and having everything be in one place.

Fingers crossed for battle royale (yeah i said it)
i'd like to see it, also want arena shooting
Maybe that could be halos take on a BR mode. Would be interesting!
They 1000% won’t get rid of Spartan vs Spartan for regular multiplayer modes though.

Last edited:
Halo Infinite is a franchise reboot. There will be sequels and they have hinted at it.

The name infinite instead of 6 does say something.

It's not a full reboot. It is a soft reboot where the events of Halo 4/5/Wars 2 have

As for the name and number, I remember an interview with Bonnie Ross before Halo 5 where she talks about not wanting to keep increasing the number on the box "like Final Fantasy" as to not discourage new players from hopping in. Halo 5: Guardians was sort of an in-between with a number but the first subtitle.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
giphy.gif

I was under the assumption that 343 was made to solely create Halo (hence the name). I don't think they will ever create a new IP unless someone else takes Halo from them.

That was under old leadership. Phil Spencer seems to be more developer friendly than the old guard, by a lot.

ZywyPL

Banned
I think they should indeed rebrand the studios, make a new, more universal logos that aren't entitled to a single IP, and let them try do something new.

the_master

Well, I hope 343 makes the ultimate Halo there can be before going for another IP in this case.

Also one thing is removing the number and another is calling it infinite, so "Infinite" Must mean something in the game

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Well, I hope 343 makes the ultimate Halo there can be before going for another IP in this case.

Also one thing is removing the number and another is calling it infinite, so "Infinite" Must mean something in the game
Infinite means Open world Installation 07.

the_master

I'd love some spartan wallrun, walljump, double jump, air dash, slide XD

I definitely don't want a BR mode. Walk around for 20 minutes collecting loot, be shot in the head, game over. I want to play, not to prepare to play

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don't know, 343 and Coalition names and logos literally scream they are there to make nothing but Halo/Gears...

"Nothing but"

I'm not sure where you're getting this. I think the names suggest they're in charge of those franchises but I don't think it suggests they will make nothing but those games.

Plus, I don't think the studios names are very important. If management wants them to make something else, they will. They won't go "Oh, but what about our name!"

Plus, The Coalition was working on a brand new IP as early as 2018 according to job postings.

the_master

After completing halo 1, 2, 3 & reach I started 4 again.

Man Halo 4 campaign is BAD. So bad. The level you start fighting the prometheans and they are soo boring! Bullet sponge knights, hard to hit crawling on walls crawlers, anoying and escaping flying drones... and then the covenant appears and you are like "yay, now we're talking, the previous 2 levels where actually fun" but the level is all dark with shiny glowing things that bear no gameplay value, and this glowing things bother you annoy you, create discomfort, take your atention, but the covenant are also dark and you don't see them, even less bc of the glowing pointless decirative lights. The covenant just move arround all the time and are everywhere and there is no point in anything. You need to destroy 4 spheres that are in an identical 4 copy pasted structures full of enemies arround that are boring to fight but at thesame time, unfair and frustrating, and you fight them with weapons that feel so weak! And have so little ammo, then you get a needler and omg it is so good but you have 2 mags pnly and it is pointless as well... Then you need to repeat this section (heroic) several times and just feel tired and frustrated and bored, and then your house lights go off and you just lost all your progress for the second time (first one at the scret terminal that sends you outside the game (!) To another shitty app that does not work and when comming back to the game "profile changed, fuck off the session and lose all progress")
Oh yes and now Cortana is so weak and shy and, nervous and insecure, and... Wait a second! That is not Cortana!!! At all!

Halo 4 is bad, even compared to other fps. They actually improved the gameplay in halo 5, significantly. Fucked up the anoying occluding and claustrophobic hud, bad new characters and story and added the stupid left trigger to aim like Call of Duty, but improved the gameplay and thr enemies overall.

/Rant]

Let's increase the hype level. Remember this early Combat Evolved demo from E3 2000?

If they can re-capture that mystery and open-ended world exploration in Infinite with today's tech, it will be a truly magical game.

Crazy to think that there's no MC in the first 8 minutes of that demo but somehow it feels more Halo than Halo 4 and 5 combined...

Eh, I liked the overall package of 4 & 5 just as much as 2 & 3. I think 343 perfected the controls and just need to get a better story for the campaign and continue to experiment with MP modes. I think people give the story (in game) for the originals way too much credit. I think they established a great world and characters but the actual stories in the games where pretty meh. 4 & 5 just continue that in a different way. Hell the advertising campaign for Halo 3 had a better story than the game by far. The one thing I loved about MP in 5 was the separation between arena and warzone. I like big battles on big maps so I spent most of my time in warzone but my son would play a ton of arena. I hope they keep warzone (or have something similar) just with better maps.

Top Bottom