• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite is really hard to aim on controller, am I the only one?

Banned
the controller aiming in this is pure garbage, it has been since the test flight.

a shitload of people pointed it out on reddit, nothing changed as expected.

343i doesn't really listen to feedback a lot, they just stubbornly do their thing

and then there are also the ones with very low standards and they will tell you that the controller aiming is fine, even tho it lacks basic settings every modern shooter has

Last edited:

Reave

The FOV plays a pretty big part in how the aiming/movement feels, too. I'd argue it's just as big of a culprit as the actual controller settings.

GloveSlap

I don't like the aiming and general feel yet either. It feels both clunky and imprecise.

To be fair i'm going from 240hz Halo 3 on a 1ms monitor to 60hz Infinite on a TV, so that might have something to do with it. Going to get it on PC and see how high i can get the frames.

twilo99

Seemed fine to me on PC, I don't even use an Xbox One/Series controller either, just a trusty ol' Razer Onza TE.

Why use controller on PC? Just for the aim assist? I know A LOT of people use controller on PC for warzone/cod because the aim assist is OP.. is Halo similar?

GymWolf

Prozd Miss Your Shot GIF by Anime Crimes Division
I bet this guy work at polygon.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The default aiming is way off. You have to mess with the sensitivity, acceleration, and Look Deadzone settings. I spent hours yesterday tweaking mine.

The crazy thing is - theyve already changed these values and options 3 times now in the 2 Test Flights and now Beta. So ive had to tweak from scratch each time. In this new Beta I swear it even added another option of X/Y axis that was not there in the Flights.

My advice is to turn Aim accell down to nothing and pull down the deadzones until it feels right. Its a pain in the ass scrolling down the setting menu each time to find those options though.

I've never understood why aim acceleration is even a thing. It ALWAYS feels like shit. It feels so unpredictable and random, and always makes me overshoot what I'm trying to aim at. Aim speed should simply be 1:1 with how far I'm pushing the stick, it's very simple.

GloveSlap

I've never understood why aim acceleration is even a thing. It ALWAYS feels like shit. It feels so unpredictable and random, and always makes me overshoot what I'm trying to aim at. Aim speed should simply be 1:1 with how far I'm pushing the stick, it's very simple.
It can be useful for turning around quickly if you are using a lower sens and the acceleration only kicks in when you crank the stick all of the way in one direction. Not sure if you can dial it in like that here though.

GymWolf

I have a small question, does halo infinite use analog triggers in any way?

I ask this because i'm using the switch pro controller and this one has digital triggers.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Even with Halo, a mouse and keyboard is prob better, right? Deciding what to play with. I have an elite 2, which at least has paddles.

edit: sounds like there is a discussion to be had around this.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Why use controller on PC? Just for the aim assist? I know A LOT of people use controller on PC for warzone/cod because the aim assist is OP.. is Halo similar?
More OP as it has "hard lock" + bullet magnetism. CoD only has "soft lock" on PC.

chigstoke

I’ve been using the Dualsense on pc with DS4Windows, both test flight and current release, I seem to be aiming better than I was on the test flight. I’ve been having some good matches, and admittedly I get better performance than the test flight so that’ll help on any FPS.

I should give KB+M a run out, but Halo on controller is so ingrained in me.

Naked Lunch

From what I understand "Pro gamer" dorks vouch for it to be in there. It was added to Halo MCC and H5.
No reason to make it on by default though.

I've given the secret on here many times. Bots. Go practice with those bots on the default difficulty level. Learn to stop panicking just because you've spotted an enemy. Don't wildly swing or overreact with your right analog stick while emptying your whole clip.

I've even posted my perfect controller settings here before, and I hesitate to post them again cause I'd like to keep advantages for myself lmao, but here goes.

Move and Look Center Deadzones, set those to 0.
Move and Look Axial Deadzone, set those to 4.
Look Sensitivity Horizontal, set that to 8
Look Sensitivity Vertical, set that to 8
Move and Look Max Input Threshold, default, which should be 10.
Look Acceleration, default, which should be 2.

Once you have those settings what you have to learn is this. There's no harm in taking your time and slowly moving your right analog stick into place to line up an accurate shot on an enemy. What I learned about Halo from the bots and then from playing real players is that, though players immediately begin firing off entire clips, many more times than not it's a front and they don't properly have you in their sights yet. Or usually they didn't at the start, so the damage they're doing is actually significantly lessened by the fact they've been missing. Don't swing your right analog wildly or panic. Take your time to move it into place, and fire accurate shots, and don't shoot unless you're actually going to hit something. A lot of the fights or 2 to 3 kill streaks I get come from people who finished off their whole clip and are then sitting ducks to me because I made my shots count and didn't waste them all. It's hard to get into the mindset, but treat them more like campaign enemies. I was able to learn all this and get much better by playing the bots on the default difficulty.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Have you played Halo before? Just curious. I remember my first time playing it when everyone played the shit out of it at my college. The controls took me awhile to adapt to in multiplayer but then i fell in love.

Aion002

For me it feels great. I didn’t need to change anything.... The only thing I need to get used is in how long it takes to kill someone, the last shooter that I played consistently was Siege, so I hit a couple of headshots and I have to control myself to keep firing and almost every time I am like:

someone die GIF

Rac3r

The aim reminds me of default overwatch settings, like you're moving through mud. Increasing vertical and horizontal sensitivity and aim acceleration is a must. Still doesn't feel as good as cod though.

nikos

Hasn't played a modern game confirmed.
You can see your shots missing by inches.
If there was true bullet magnetism this wouldn't happen.

Haven't done my own testing, because I don't care enough about this game, but that video shows clear bullet magnetism from a previous build. You can still miss shots, obviously, it's not magic.

There's absolutely no way you play modern FPS games and can honestly say they don't have aim assist. For every keyboard/mouse player, there are eight controller players in these games. The last no-bullshit game that released was PUBG.

Last edited:
I am using default aiming on PC and its fine. It's no CoD but I am ending every game with a positive KDR.

However, I am playing at 120 fps and 100 FOV so its possible Im stomping 30 fps plebs like you. This is why Im not too thrilled about crossplay. Now that even the XSX console can do 120 fps, it makes crossplay between consoles a mess.
Yeah your on PC he was talking about controller. You can't compare the two. Why even bother commenting? PC m +k is so superior to controller even with aim assist. Crossplay is bullshit and never should've been a thing between PC and consoles but these companies are scummy. They know that but do it anyway. Now, if you decide to opt out of cross play you are stuck with low player populations.

My point is, no shit your kd ratio is above 1! You are a mouse user with 120 fps and wide fov going up against console players. Not something to be proud of.

Assist is a great balance solution to make controller users have the chance to somehow compete with kbm.
Yes but console still at a big disadvantage. Cross-play is one of the worst trends in the industry. It's a win for PC players and developers who now don't have to worry about low PC populations. While you can opt out as a console player, you will then have to deal with lower populations as the default is to have cross play enabled. Gaming co.panies have also been heavily marketing crossplay as some kind of win win when its not.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah your on PC he was talking about controller. You can't compare the two. Why even bother commenting? PC m +k is so superior to controller even with aim assist. Crossplay is bullshit and never should've been a thing between PC and consoles but these companies are scummy. They know that but do it anyway. Now, if you decide to opt out of cross play you are stuck with low player populations.

My point is, no shit your kd ratio is above 1! You are a mouse user with 120 fps and wide fov going up against console players. Not something to be proud of.
wtf is wrong with you?

I am on PC but playing with a controller.

get some help

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Can't you play with M+KB on consoles now too? I'd grab a cheap wireless combo setup if I were playing on console :)
Yeah if you are a baby…. 😎
we don’t need none of that fisher price point and click amateur stuff here.

you use a controller running around staring at the ground not knowing where you are when things get heated like a real gamer.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yeah if you are a baby…. 😎
we don’t need none of that fisher price point and click amateur stuff here.

you use a controller running around staring at the ground not knowing where you are when things get heated like a real gamer.
Very non amateur and real gamer of you being fooled by 2 aim assists helping you.

Dr Bass

Is it worse than past iterations? Not that I am a huge console shooter player, but I always felt like Halo had the best FPS control for consoles on the market.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I'm absolutely garbage at it with default settings. They have a ton of settings to work with to try and tweak it. I'm honestly not sure where to begin, so I just started watching the Rittenhouse trial instead. 😅

Qaloon

aiming is more difficult, but pacing shots is more important than ever. you can't spam shoot like you would in a game like h3 or h4.

but the default aiming settings are terrible and overcomplicated, i'll say that much.

Dynasty8

You're not the only one OP. The aiming is absolute garbage (on controller at least). No matter how much I adjust the deadzones it still feels horrible to shoot. I've played all previous Halo games and never had a problem.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Map designs are worse, too small, plus if you play ranked you start with BR which is a mid/long-range weapon, not suitable for the maps.

Knightime_X

Haven't done my own testing, because I don't care enough about this game, but that video shows clear bullet magnetism from a previous build. You can still miss shots, obviously, it's not magic.

There's absolutely no way you play modern FPS games and can honestly say they don't have aim assist. For every keyboard/mouse player, there are eight controller players in these games. The last no-bullshit game that released was PUBG.

When you're up close, which is 95% of the time in CQC maps, the magnetism does little to no help at all.
Really wished he demonstrated real-world expectation scenarios where in most cases you're 2x-5x closer.
Also, BM in halo games isn't a big deal because players are very tanky compared to something like Call of Duty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom