• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Graphics Criticism Addressed by Dev; Game Features a New Acoustic Engine Leveraging XSX

Astral Dog

GOT is the GOAT!!!!! I love the way it looks so much I just walk around for hours doing sidequests and exploring and I ALWAYS find hidden places, temples, shipyards etc. So gorgeous.

They probably never played a game in their lives so they thought it was good enough. "Halo is alien stuff right?? Is this Sci-fi enough??The kids will like that?"
Honestly HALO with a feminine touch would be more interesting than this Infinite but im not sure they let those women decide on the story, art or characters

Last edited:

MadAnon

We're bringing the highest fidelity experience that we've ever created. We're able to do more than 10 times the processing power per pixel that we were able to do in Halo 5, which just allows us to create this experience that's unlike anything that we've had in Halo before. In Halo Infinite we've really harnessed a lot of advanced rendering techniques, but also the immense power of the Xbox Series X.

tenor.gif

He spoke a lot, but said little of substance. I suspect they can at least fix the LoD pop ins and shadow resolution with some configuration, hopefully they have a set of higher resolution textures they can put on the ennemie's face because it looks like a 360 asset.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Dude, it's no use in beating a dead horse. All devs are going to hype of their games and talk like they are some advanced milestone from current gen. Sony is no different. Most of their games were in-game cinematics too. And what they did show of gameplay was current gen tech as well.

Starfield

so their excuse is FOUR KAY!!!!

and its not even native FOUR KAY!!!

what a shitshow. I still dont understand why they all trying to push FOUR KAY!!! so fkn hard

Halo Infinite didn't exactly impress most fans with its gameplay showcase released this week, starting with the graphics, which many felt it wasn't 'next-gen enough'.

We had the chance to participate in a press Q&A yesterday, though, and 343 Industries Studio Head Chris Lee didn't shy away from addressing the hot topic. Lee also discussed the improvements made to the audio engine for Halo Infinite, which leverages the capabilities of the Xbox Series X hardware to provide a more immersive experience for the player.

Chris Lee: I think for the response on the graphics, the thing I hope is that folks get a chance to check out our 4K streaming assets, I think that really lets our game show itself in full fidelity. We are definitely still very much in development, we have some polishing and tuning that the team is working on to really bring the full potential of our experience to our fans later this year in Halo Infinite. We definitely are excited about the ambition of the title, of this open expansive campaign and we'll make sure that it's polished and ready to go when fans get their hands on it this Holiday.

The gameplay demo is a great example of how we're running on Xbox Series X, you'll be able to run at a solid 60 frames per second at up to 4K resolution. We're bringing the highest fidelity experience that we've ever created. We're able to do more than 10 times the processing power per pixel that we were able to do in Halo 5, which just allows us to create this experience that's unlike anything that we've had in Halo before. In Halo Infinite we've really harnessed a lot of advanced rendering techniques, but also the immense power of the Xbox Series X.

Music is also incredibly important to Halo and to our fans, and I'm really excited that after Curtis Schweitzer, a composer that we talked about last year at E3, we got to announce our second composer that's joining Curtis, Gareth Coker. Both Gareth and Curtis have been doing an incredible job and throughout the demo today you've been able to experience some of the music that Gareth has worked on. We also upgraded our audio engine to create a new acoustic system and leverage a lot of extra processing power and streaming power with the Xbox Series X to be able to really surround the player in a much more realistic audio experience.

https://wccftech.com/halo-infinite-...eatures-a-new-acoustic-engine-leveraging-xsx/

-------------------------------------
There you have it folks. Chris Lee said don't worry about the graphics, what you saw is basically how Series X runs, but upto 4K 60fps. So perhaps not native 4K all the time, dynamic rez seems to be confirmed. Don't worry about graphics, but we've got this improved sound though....People forget most of the games shown was on PC, so when Leadbetter said that he did pixel counts and all the games from MS conference runs at native 4K, people have to remember we don't exactly know the resolutions of the actual console box yet....Chris Lee has now clued us on the general rez of Series X in this title...
My only advice is that these people that bash other multi-billion dollar companies are nothing but bottom feeders that have no life. Play what you like and leave this trash at the bottom of the barrel.

Riven326

Banned
He spoke a lot, but said little of substance. I suspect they can at least fix the LoD pop ins and shadow resolution with some configuration, hopefully they have a set of higher resolution textures they can put on the ennemie's face because it looks like a 360 asset.
Watch they release a 4K texture pack you have to download.

Riven326

Banned
Hey, tbf if they release a 4k texture pack I'd be happy to have some upgraded visuals over muddy textures all around.

This is Fallout 4 with 2-8k textures:

O3SF1A2.jpg
That's fine. But I don't think a game that's been in dev for five years should release a texture pack after launch.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Halo Infinite restarted development last year. The same thing happened with Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem. It explains why all these issues exist. We'll probably hear about it a month or two after this game launches.

Bruh the environment in that game just looks dead. Nothing looks alive just bland as fuck. Also no one talked about that elevator ride, hidden loading screen already 😂

Yep,

Rewatch the trailer and as Cheif ascends in the lift, you see some pop-in and then the player moves the view to the left to look at a wall, while looking upwards to catch the edge of the structure. When, they should have kept looking over the vista and landscape, obviously they didn't because you would have seen more loading and pop-in.

If games load fast as shit and more assets on the PS5 vs XSX by a considerable margin then the power advantage is going to be uncovered as a load of bollox (Consider the shit Ratchet was getting for loading for 1 second through a portal vs 5 seconds of a lift for a bland, empty fight...)

IDappa

If a 1.8tf machine with a hairdryer CPU can do this:

There is no excuse for a machine with a 12tf gpu and a MUCH MORE powerful cpu to don't do anything close to that at 4k@60.
Ditch native 4k if you have to, reconstruction techniques have improved a lot this gen, we don't need native 4k for anything.

To be fair I've been playing this the past couple of days and it's not a nice feeling having constant frame drops that feel like they're hitting the low 20's. I'd rather they lock the fps and dial back a few things to achieve that. Grass looks nice though.

SirTerry-T

Are some people seriously considering the notion that this Halo game may be sporting less than stellar graphics because the developer's higher management decided to diversify their staff a bit more?!!??!? That's where they are going with this???
More non-proper blokes on a dev team means shittier graphics, is that right?
FFS.

asustitan

Banned
Are some people seriously considering the notion that this Halo game may be sporting less than stellar graphics because the developer's higher management decided to diversify their staff a bit more?!!??!? That's where they are going with this???
More non-proper blokes on a dev team means shittier graphics, is that right?
FFS.

Are there any men at 343?

Eliciel

There is no excuse for a machine with a 12tf gpu and a MUCH MORE powerful cpu to don't do anything close to that at 4k@60.
Ditch native 4k if you have to, reconstruction techniques have improved a lot this gen, we don't need native 4k for anything.

exactly, there is no rationale for even trying if it doesn't look on par.
Games are not just about engines, games are about art style, animations, fluidity, engagement, density and so much more.
You cannot program a new engine and then pretend you created a unique experience...t, but hat completely disregards what games are about.

At the end of the day, Halo Infinite simply lacks characters and true "signature hand-writing".
It is just another, blend, boring shooter game among many others and on top of it, it doesn't even look astonishingly good.
There is no magic at all when I look at the trailer.

but yeah, this DF video is explaining the underlying problems very transparently for my taste:

Lighting/Shadows -> To be solved by Ray Tracing?
Pop-Ins -> lower resolution maybe better?
Explosion Effects -> highly opaque - needs different post processing effects?
flat indirect lightning and unimaginative materials -> material research, art style overhaul?

Last edited:

Amiga

Social justice. Feminism. That sort of thing. Ever since they embraced that crap, the quality of their games has dropped like a rock. Some folks say it's just a coincidence. I disagree.

In my experience, every developer that goes down this road ends up having quality control issues, followed by bad games.
Naughty Dog

FireFly

Are there any men at 343?
It looks like there are about 60 women in that picture and according to wikipedia there were 450 employees at 343 in 2016.

Based on the Glassdoor reviews it looks like employees are struggling with an unwieldy engine and tools and there is an overreliance on contractors who turnover quickly.

El Sueño

The thing is what Sucker Punch will do with the PS5 teraflops.

Amiga

Naughty Dog definitely hire on talent, Reeeee even try to criticise them for it
they lost 70% of that talent. and Niel fired a tester because he ranted once instead of just talking to him. "crunch culture" could just be a spin to to cover people getting forced out because of their opinions.

Yoboman

they lost 70% of that talent. and Niel fired a tester because he ranted once instead of just talking to him. "crunch culture" could just be a spin to to cover people getting forced out because of their opinions.
Fake news

Rikkori

The worst part about all of this is that this the only Halo they're making. They didn't stop & think that a 7 year Halo as a live-game only works if you knock it out of the park first. If it's shit, then you're stuck with shit for a long time, further destroying Halo's brand value after it already suffered post-Bungie.

Top Bottom