• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Graphics Criticism Addressed by Dev; Game Features a New Acoustic Engine Leveraging XSX

thelastword

Banned
Halo Infinite didn't exactly impress most fans with its gameplay showcase released this week, starting with the graphics, which many felt it wasn't 'next-gen enough'.

We had the chance to participate in a press Q&A yesterday, though, and 343 Industries Studio Head Chris Lee didn't shy away from addressing the hot topic. Lee also discussed the improvements made to the audio engine for Halo Infinite, which leverages the capabilities of the Xbox Series X hardware to provide a more immersive experience for the player.

Chris Lee: I think for the response on the graphics, the thing I hope is that folks get a chance to check out our 4K streaming assets, I think that really lets our game show itself in full fidelity. We are definitely still very much in development, we have some polishing and tuning that the team is working on to really bring the full potential of our experience to our fans later this year in Halo Infinite. We definitely are excited about the ambition of the title, of this open expansive campaign and we'll make sure that it's polished and ready to go when fans get their hands on it this Holiday.

The gameplay demo is a great example of how we're running on Xbox Series X, you'll be able to run at a solid 60 frames per second at up to 4K resolution. We're bringing the highest fidelity experience that we've ever created. We're able to do more than 10 times the processing power per pixel that we were able to do in Halo 5, which just allows us to create this experience that's unlike anything that we've had in Halo before. In Halo Infinite we've really harnessed a lot of advanced rendering techniques, but also the immense power of the Xbox Series X.

Music is also incredibly important to Halo and to our fans, and I'm really excited that after Curtis Schweitzer, a composer that we talked about last year at E3, we got to announce our second composer that's joining Curtis, Gareth Coker. Both Gareth and Curtis have been doing an incredible job and throughout the demo today you've been able to experience some of the music that Gareth has worked on. We also upgraded our audio engine to create a new acoustic system and leverage a lot of extra processing power and streaming power with the Xbox Series X to be able to really surround the player in a much more realistic audio experience.

https://wccftech.com/halo-infinite-...eatures-a-new-acoustic-engine-leveraging-xsx/

-------------------------------------
There you have it folks. Chris Lee said don't worry about the graphics, what you saw is basically how Series X runs, but upto 4K 60fps. So perhaps not native 4K all the time, dynamic rez seems to be confirmed. Don't worry about graphics, but we've got this improved sound though....People forget most of the games shown was on PC, so when Leadbetter said that he did pixel counts and all the games from MS conference runs at native 4K, people have to remember we don't exactly know the resolutions of the actual console box yet....Chris Lee has now clued us on the general rez of Series X in this title...

HarryKS

Basically, it's an Xbox One game running at a higher resolution, but not with next-gen assets.

They don't mind because that's what the mothership(Microsoft) asked them to do and they adhered to the mandates. They are beyond reproach in terms of what was asked of them but that doesn't mean they went the extra mile either.

Destiny 2's gonna be at 4k,60fps as well on the new Xbox. It's nicer to look at.

3712365-craig2.png

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
As much as I respect Gareth Coker, he is no Gareth Emery, much less Marty O'Donnel. Sound design is amazing, but I don't expect them to match Marty.
It's sad, that we don't get something like this anymore:

Halo lost it's greatest strenght, when Bungie bail out.

Ar¢tos

If a 1.8tf machine with a hairdryer CPU can do this:

There is no excuse for a machine with a 12tf gpu and a MUCH MORE powerful cpu to don't do anything close to that at 4k@60.
Ditch native 4k if you have to, reconstruction techniques have improved a lot this gen, we don't need native 4k for anything.

Lone Wolf

Halo Infinite didn't exactly impress most fans with its gameplay showcase released this week, starting with the graphics, which many felt it wasn't 'next-gen enough'.

We had the chance to participate in a press Q&A yesterday, though, and 343 Industries Studio Head Chris Lee didn't shy away from addressing the hot topic. Lee also discussed the improvements made to the audio engine for Halo Infinite, which leverages the capabilities of the Xbox Series X hardware to provide a more immersive experience for the player.

Chris Lee: I think for the response on the graphics, the thing I hope is that folks get a chance to check out our 4K streaming assets, I think that really lets our game show itself in full fidelity. We are definitely still very much in development, we have some polishing and tuning that the team is working on to really bring the full potential of our experience to our fans later this year in Halo Infinite. We definitely are excited about the ambition of the title, of this open expansive campaign and we'll make sure that it's polished and ready to go when fans get their hands on it this Holiday.

The gameplay demo is a great example of how we're running on Xbox Series X, you'll be able to run at a solid 60 frames per second at up to 4K resolution. We're bringing the highest fidelity experience that we've ever created. We're able to do more than 10 times the processing power per pixel that we were able to do in Halo 5, which just allows us to create this experience that's unlike anything that we've had in Halo before. In Halo Infinite we've really harnessed a lot of advanced rendering techniques, but also the immense power of the Xbox Series X.

Music is also incredibly important to Halo and to our fans, and I'm really excited that after Curtis Schweitzer, a composer that we talked about last year at E3, we got to announce our second composer that's joining Curtis, Gareth Coker. Both Gareth and Curtis have been doing an incredible job and throughout the demo today you've been able to experience some of the music that Gareth has worked on. We also upgraded our audio engine to create a new acoustic system and leverage a lot of extra processing power and streaming power with the Xbox Series X to be able to really surround the player in a much more realistic audio experience.

https://wccftech.com/halo-infinite-...eatures-a-new-acoustic-engine-leveraging-xsx/

-------------------------------------
There you have it folks. Chris Lee said don't worry about the graphics, what you saw is basically how Series X runs, but upto 4K 60fps. So perhaps not native 4K all the time, dynamic rez seems to be confirmed. Don't worry about graphics, but we've got this improved sound though....People forget most of the games shown was on PC, so when Leadbetter said that he did pixel counts and all the games from MS conference runs at native 4K, people have to remember we don't exactly know the resolutions of the actual console box yet....Chris Lee has now clued us on the general rez of Series X in this title...
I’m all for bashing Halo Infinite but you are just looking to troll a game and system you would never buy regardless.

LarknThe4th

This confirms it wont look drastically different come launch(which was obvious besides Greenbergs oddness)

So now everybody has an easy choice Halo infinite Yay or Nah

I'll get Gamepass again for it, looks like a fun enough time

Others who wanted next gen though, probably not for them, not on the surface anyway

killatopak

Gold Member
They should have dialed down either the res or the framerate until it looked next gen enough.

Either reduce the fps to 30 on SP then bump it up to 60 on MP or just do checkerboard rendering.

Elcid

Banned
Social justice. Feminism. That sort of thing. Ever since they embraced that crap, the quality of their games has dropped like a rock. Some folks say it's just a coincidence. I disagree.

In my experience, every developer that goes down this road ends up having quality control issues, followed by bad games.
I think at this point it’s safe to call it fact.

GhostOfTsu

Banned

There is no excuse for a machine with a 12tf gpu and a MUCH MORE powerful cpu to don't do anything close to that at 4k@60.
Ditch native 4k if you have to, reconstruction techniques have improved a lot this gen, we don't need native 4k for anything.

GOT is the GOAT!!!!! I love the way it looks so much I just walk around for hours doing sidequests and exploring and I ALWAYS find hidden places, temples, shipyards etc. So gorgeous.

They probably never played a game in their lives so they thought it was good enough. "Halo is alien stuff right?? Is this Sci-fi enough??The kids will like that?"

Mato

Has it been established if the entire visible ringworld seen in the background is traversable? Without any loading screens? If yes then I think this is an element that wasn't properly showcased in the demo. And they could have done a lot more with that setting.

VAVA Mk2

Social justice. Feminism. That sort of thing. Ever since they embraced that crap, the quality of their games has dropped like a rock. Some folks say it's just a coincidence. I disagree.

In my experience, every developer that goes down this road ends up having quality control issues, followed by bad games.
And the reason I assume is experience and talent are secondary to hiring based on demographics and a good social image as a company?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Has it been established if the entire visible ringworld seen in the background is traversable? Without any loading screens? If yes then I think this is an element that wasn't properly showcased in the demo. And they could have done a lot more with that setting.

They seemed to have enough LOD/streaming problems as it is, they were not ready to stress the open world aspect yet.

Elginer

I’m sorry but damn man. Halo isn’t Halo without Bungie anymore and as much as I did enjoy Halo 4 it still was missing the magic that Bungie infused into their franchise. Halo 5 was fucking terrible. That’s my opinion but one many share. 343 are just incompetent as fuck as a dev house for pushing forward Halo as the powerhouse FPS that it once was.
Let the IP die or let the studio try their hand and something more to their skills as a team. What this is I have no idea but Halo games are not it.

VAVA Mk2

No black women to be seen, not very diverse.............343 are part of the problem still, boycott them
Bonnie Ross cares more about her next industry award as a female manager in gaming and promoting women in the industry than the actual quality and success of her franchise she claims she kept from being moved on from/dying. I am in no way against more diversity in the industry, but the success of her company and franchise should be first priority, not looking woke and diversity awareness and inclusion first if it means not selecting the best people for the job to make the best Halo game possible.

Riven326

Banned
And the reason I assume is experience and talent are secondary to hiring based on demographics and a good social image as a company?
I can only speculate, but yes, I would assume so. Just look at the studio's output from 2010 until now. They peaked with Mass Effect 2. Then it was sort of a decline with the third game and DA2, then just an absolute nosedive and they still haven't pulled out of it.

Romulus

I'm looking forward to 12TF equalling to 1.8TF. Maybe by 2023 when the mid gen consoles arrive.

Top Bottom