• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - Game Overview Trailer

MCplayer

But my question is why are people surprised by this? This is a cross-gen title, it has to work with the XB1. It was always going to pan out this way.

Halo Infinite is not a showcase for the XSX, and it was never going to be. I think people were expecting or hoping this wouldn't be true, but they were always on the losing side of that bet imo.

XSX will have other games which feel that need and, eventually, a next-gen exclusive Halo of some kind.
there is a thing about Halo (console seller) not doing its job from what it seems

the_master

If they did give AI a body then they definitely wouldn't make her look like a booty call. The new model is much more realistic in that regard. I'm not sure how saying that it's my problem is any form of argument on your side. The point is the new AI is much more consistent with the theme of the game (serious military space shooter), no getting away from that.

The look of Cortana always stood out ftom the rest of female characters in the game, especially how oversexualised she was in 4. The new look brings uniformity, consistency and fits with the overall look and theme of the game much better.
She looked fine to me and never thought of her looking like a booty call or a sexualized being.
How was she sexualized? By giving her some particular proportions? What about real life women that have sinilar proportions? Are they sexualized? Are they evil? Should they cover themselves?

The problem lies with 2 things:
-Seeing anything femenine as "sexualized"
-Considering sex, evil.

When you put the 2 together is time for censorship and discrimination.

FireFly

A military AI would probably not have a body.
A.Is are based on human personalities in the Halo universe. And human beings evolved to be most effective at communicating with other human beings, not abstract digital displays.

Edit: See this article about how people are *more* productive when working with robots that are designed to make mistakes:

Last edited:
I will sound like a hater, but for someone that has never played Halo constantly, what does that video is supposed to do for me, like I'm not impressed by anything, Am I missing something, for regular fans, it does look good? and if it does, why?
It's skill based gameplay, not the shoot someone first then they're dead of most other shooters. It's the sandbox game design, that every weapon and vehicle and equipment pick up has pro's and con's in equal measure. A wealth of options are available at any time that dwarf other games.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Halo Infinite may be a continuation of the Master Chief saga, but it represents a bold new era for the long running series. And despite numerous delays and reworks, Infinite remains a highly anticipated game for Xbox and PC players. Although Xbox and developer 343 Industries have only shown a few trailers of Master Chief's next adventure, there's plenty of information to mine out of them about the first mainline Halo entry since 2015. Here's everything we know about Halo Infinite so far.

BabyYoda

Banned
Is this just Campaign? Or MP? As I'm pretty sure they are separate downloads. One is free and the other isn't, so they can't be just one download.
That's what I was thinking. Hopefully it's combined, perhaps when you download the campaign you get both and when you download the mp you only get the mp, considering the latter is free. Although it's not far fetched to think the campaign might be 100Gb's on it's own.

On this subject, I wish Microsoft would let you download the parts you want in their games (same for all games on all services, let me deselect mp, HD 4K textures and video etc). I really want to play ODST on GP on PC, but I have to download almost 160Gb's for what is a tiny game otherwise, after it's downloaded I can uninstall the other games and mp, what use is that nonsense?! Why have a hub for all the games if it still makes me download everything, infuriating?! Not everyone has fast internet or loads of free storage space Microsoft! How ironic that you van download individual Halo games on Steam, their competitor is doing better with Microsoft's own games...

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. Hopefully it's combined, perhaps when you download the campaign you get both and when you download the mp you only get the mp, considering the latter is free. Although it's not far fetched to think the campaign might be 100Gb's on it's own.

On this subject, I wish Microsoft would let you download the parts you want in their games (same for all games on all services, let me deselect mp, HD 4K textures and video etc). I really want to play ODST on GP on PC, but I have to download almost 160Gb's for what is a tiny game otherwise, after it's downloaded I can uninstall the other games and mp, what use is that nonsense?! Why have a hub for all the games if it still makes me download everything, infuriating?! Not everyone has fast internet or loads of free storage space Microsoft! How ironic that you van download individual Halo games on Steam, their competitor is doing better with Microsoft's own games...
That's something they boasted at the beginning of the generation, not only this but you can download MCC based on which games you want to play. They're even sectioned off, you can download either SP, MP or both. It's all up to you. I believe it's called Smart Delivery.

BabyYoda

Banned
That's something they boasted at the beginning of the generation, not only this but you can download MCC based on which games you want to play. They're even sectioned off, you can download either SP, MP or both. It's all up to you. I believe it's called Smart Delivery.
Yeah, doesn't work on PC, only on steam can you choose which games you want to download. Oh the games are separated off on the Microsoft Store, but it's meaningless, whichever game you pick, it downloads the whole package...

Premier League Laugh GIF by MolaTV

tenor.gif
I miss this crazy bastard

Andodalf

Banned
Is this just Campaign? Or MP? As I'm pretty sure they are separate downloads. One is free and the other isn't, so they can't be just one download.
You could absolutely have both in the same launcher. I’d imagine there’s a lot of overlap between the two

VAVA Mk2

Smart Delivery is a separate thing where you get the version downloaded that best optimizes your hardware, but yes the separate downloads for MCC is in fact a thing.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Funny skins, neon pulsing guns, comedic dances & emotes
I think they have presented the game pretty clearly as this. All the self expression talk, bright colors, and Samurai armor were a good tip off to which direction this was going.

It’s what people want so I don’t see any issue with it. Cosmetics store is the F2P model we should all be cheering for.

Shmunter

I think they have presented the game pretty clearly as this. All the self expression talk, bright colors, and Samurai armor were a good tip off to which direction this was going.

It’s what people want so I don’t see any issue with it. Cosmetics store is the F2P model we should all be cheering for.
In light hearted games like Halo and Fortnight I don't see an issue either. Hate it in COD, a game which is supposed to be a more grounded military aesthetic. Really takes me out unfortunately.

Yeah I don't see how it is that much of a departure with things in previous halo games. Grunt birthday party skull anyone? The skins on many of the weapons in Halo 5 were extremely neon and bright. It just doesn't bother me that much really. I'll take goofy cosmetic items over pay to win any day.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think the game is going to be great as is, but if I was ms, just to give the game credibility, I'd have thrown a couple hundred million at bungie and asked them to step in to "consult" after the delay, lol. Instantly the internet would have stated the game was saved, lol

I think the game is going to be great as is, but if I was ms, just to give the game credibility, I'd have thrown a couple hundred million at bungie and asked them to step in to "consult" after the delay, lol. Instantly the internet would have stated the game was saved, lol
The biggest mistake MS made was allowing the relationship with Bungie to get so bad that they threatened to quit so they sold them off. After Halo 3 they proved their worth and should have been allowed to work on whatever they wanted to. Like Naughty Dog was to Sony. MS could have still created 343i to make new Halos and have Bungie consult to make sure the vision was consistent. Ah well I'm looking forward to Halo Infinite regardless.

Shmunter

The biggest mistake MS made was allowing the relationship with Bungie to get so bad that they threatened to quit so they sold them off. After Halo 3 they proved their worth and should have been allowed to work on whatever they wanted to. Like Naughty Dog was to Sony. MS could have still created 343i to make new Halos and have Bungie consult to make sure the vision was consistent. Ah well I'm looking forward to Halo Infinite regardless.
From memory they didn’t wanna make any more halo? They wanted to build destiny, but Phil said no?

Last edited:
From memory they didn’t wanna make any more halo? They wanted to build destiny, but Phil said no?

The Halo property was (and still is) A LOT more lucrative than Uncharted. Not really comparable. As much as Bungie leaving sucked in some ways, you can't really fault MS for wanting to milk that big of a cash cow.

Shmunter

The Halo property was (and still is) A LOT more lucrative than Uncharted. Not really comparable. As much as Bungie leaving sucked in some ways, you can't really fault MS for wanting to milk that big of a cash cow.
Is it? wow feels so crazy to even think it

Bungie are not the studio they once were, most of the talent has long since departed. Joe Staten is actually working on Infinite, that should give you more than enough confidence in the game. The reaction to the tech preview was overwhelmingly positive and that was a few maps and a limited weapon and equipment roster, 343 are making the best Halo ever IMO.

Is it? wow feels so crazy to even think it

Really? I'm not trying to be mean but how old were you when these games released? Maybe it has less to do with that and more to do if you were into online games at the time, or an FPS/multiplayer gamer. But the history is the history. Uncharted Drake's Fortune came out within 2 months of Halo 3. Halo 3 was one of the biggest entertainment launches (the biggest?) in history to that point. Uncharted was a great start (I LOVED it at the time--the mocap and character performances genuinely blew me away and it didn't hurt that I had an Elena crush). Later Drakes (lol) would sell MUCH better than the first and the total franchise sales are not that disparate but the PS3 hadn't really taken off by that time. The decision to try and force Bungie to become the 'halo factory' may seem shortsighted now but you had to think that behind the scenes, there was a lot of pressure from the stockholders to milk the studio for all it was worth.

I still think the Halo franchise has huge potential. Not all the ventures were successful (some were massive critical and mainstream flops) but there was/still is a massive market for the extended universe. A return to form for the chief could mean a reinvigoration of that spirit and imagination, and a lot more sales of the already well-diversified intellectual property that is Halo.

Last edited:

Helghan

MGS covers their 1st party studios as well as 3rd party publishing. If Phil was head of MGS, he was the one who decided which projects got greenlit and which didn't.
This is a compete guess of you. Please show me why 3rd party publishing was part of MGS and why Phil Spencer would be the key decision maker of their biggest partner.

This is a compete guess of you. Please show me why 3rd party publishing was part of MGS and why Phil Spencer would be the key decision maker of their biggest partner.

Lol, you're clueless. MGS is MS's Xbox videogame publishing business. There's no other publishing function that exists within MS to publish 3rd party games. If you think there's some other phantom publishing arm within MS then the burden of proof is on you to prove it.

Just to buttress the point:

Halo: CE - Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Halo 2 - Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Halo 3 - Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Halo 4 - Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Halo 5 Guardians - Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Halo Infinite - Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios

See! I did the hard work for you. You only needed to google it to see how you were categorically wrong.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Halo Infinite is attempting to replicate Combat Evolved in several ways, and one of the biggest ways it's doing that is with its setting. Set on the Halo ring known as Installation 07, or Zeta Halo, the game definitely very clearly seems to be crafting a similar atmosphere and sense of discovery as what the first game in the series evoke when it was first released two decades ago. As exciting as that is though, there's so much else about Zeta Halo that makes it quite an intriguing setting for the game.

But what the hell exactly is Installation 07? It's been passingly referenced in the games a few times, and has received a lot of backstory in several books, and with all of that put together, it's got some really interesting lore and backstory attached to it. Zeta Halo is the oldest surviving Halo ring- originally created as part of the twelve original Installations made by the Forerunners, Zeta Halo – then known as Gyre 11 – managed to be the only ring in that entire Array that could survive the Forerunners' war with the Flood.

Helghan

Lol, you're clueless. MGS is MS's Xbox videogame publishing business. There's no other publishing function that exists within MS to publish 3rd party games. If you think there's some other phantom publishing arm within MS then the burden of proof is on you to prove it.
You still haven't shown that Phil Spencer was the decision maker when it comes to not letting Bungie develop another game besides Halo. What was the discussion all about.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

I just realized from that campaign menu....with the game being open world we are unlikely to be able to replay specific missions right?
Or maybe there is another menu once you are in game to be able to load specific missions to redo with your current equipment/upgrades.

I just realized from that campaign menu....with the game being open world we are unlikely to be able to replay specific missions right?
Or maybe there is another menu once you are in game to be able to load specific missions to redo with your current equipment/upgrades.
That's certainly a placeholder menu, I'm sure they'll have some sort of mission checkpoint system.

The game apparently isn’t totally open world… that’s what I’ve read at least. Like big hub areas but it’s not like breath of the wild or gta or something

You still haven't shown that Phil Spencer was the decision maker when it comes to not letting Bungie develop another game besides Halo. What was the discussion all about.

It doesn't need to be shown...

Who led MGS at that time?... Phil Spencer.

Therefore, who had the final say in the greenlighting of projects for ALL MGS studios (both first and 3rd party)?... Phil Spencer.

Bungie decision to break away from MS because they wanted to work on something other than Halo has been well documented.

Therefore, you have to attempt to enact some really impressive mental gymnastics to try to assert that Phil had nothing to do with Bungie not being allowed to work on something other than Halo.

Honestly, I get the cult of personality around Phil that some of you subscribe to. But it's like some of you think that Phil Spencer when he was head of MGS basically had no voice, no control, no oversight and no authority. WTF do you think he actually did then? Sit around all day playing video games and posting on Twitter? Frankly, it beggars belief.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It doesn't need to be shown...

Who led MGS at that time?... Phil Spencer.

Therefore, who had the final say in the greenlighting of projects for ALL MGS studios (both first and 3rd party)?... Phil Spencer.

Bungie decision to break away from MS because they wanted to work on something other than Halo has been well documented.

Therefore, you have to attempt to enact some really impressive mental gymnastics to try to assert that Phil had nothing to do with Bungie not being allowed to work on something other than Halo.

Honestly, I get the cult of personality around Phil that some of you subscribe to. But it's like some of you think that Phil Spencer when he was head of MGS basically had no voice, no control, no oversight and no authority. WTF do you think he actually did then? Sit around all day playing video games and posting on Twitter? Frankly, it beggars belief.
He was very much a lame duck at that time. It’s not hard to understand that dynamic if you have any knowledge of corporate structure and corporate politics.

Top Bottom