• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Flight Impressions (Voting Open)

How would you rate the Flight?

• A

Votes: 91 56.5%
  • B

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • C

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • D

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • E

Votes: 11 6.8%

• Total voters

fatmarco

I haven't really played previous Halo MP in anger, but what does this mean? As someone who plays pub solo, I find the TTK a bit too long. Unless you have like 90% headshots in the AR I don't think it's easy to take someoen down with one magazine. When you say combo do you mean you're meant to have to weapon switch or combo with another player (2 v 1)
I was referring to the idea you'd often have plasma weapons to remove shields and then you'd switch to your bullet based weapon to finish them off. Like, a viable strategy in a lot of halos is the plasma pistol + pistol or plasma rifle plus a human weapon etc. I just think this game is a bit too fast for much of that to naturally occur or maybe its just not as useful as it should be where certain guns are better suited for specific scenarios in regards to vs. Shields or vs. Unshielded.

Halo isn't meant to have a low ttk either, a lot of the time you're meant to be able to salvage a surprise ambush and recover unlike most multiplayer shooters.

That being said I'm still really enjoying this, just I love plasma rifles and the new one is pretty useless lol.

Naked Lunch

It took PvP to truly test this game. Gameplay is solid but its definitely it own thing. Its not straight up Halo 3 or 5.
The Radar change/nerf is huge - it makes teamwork more important than ever.

The golden triangle is there (gun/nade/melee) and you can flex on people one on one. This is step one and they succeeded.

The problem for me is the maps. These 3 are pretty poor Halo maps. So many nooks and crannies, filled with tiny congested rooms, narrow corridors - just way way too busy.
Bazaar in PvP felt like I was playing a COD map - I cant think of any Halo map that felt like that.
We need some nice solid, simple, clear maps like Lockout, Desolation, and Battle Creek.

Last edited:

Jebron

Got to finally play a couple hours this evening. My only complaint is the aiming is complete fucking garbage. In 2021, how do you fuck up something like aiming?

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
There has been delays all over the place for several years now, are you thinking about a specific genre?
Well you know, that games are delayed, but not many of them receives backlash from fans and haters alike.

Fredrik

Well you know, that games are delayed, but not many of them receives backlash from fans and haters alike.
That’s true, fans turning on them was probably why they decided to delay it. But it was for the best, the delay might actually end up turning this around now.

Concern

PVP was great and really shows its not chasing no call of duty or Battlefield style of shooter.

Honestly overwhelmingly surprised at how great it felt. And I've knocked 343 a lot but it really looks like they got something good here.

Hopefully next flight test isn't too far off and is pvp from the beginning.

JLB

Banned
It took PvP to truly test this game. Gameplay is solid but its definitely it own thing. Its not straight up Halo 3 or 5.
The Radar change/nerf is huge - it makes teamwork more important than ever.

The golden triangle is there (gun/nade/melee) and you can flex on people one on one. This is step one and they succeeded.

The problem for me is the maps. These 3 are pretty poor Halo maps. So many nooks and crannies, filled with tiny congested rooms, narrow corridors - just way way too busy.
Bazaar in PvP felt like I was playing a COD map - I cant think of any Halo map that felt like that.
We need some nice solid, simple, clear maps like Lockout, Desolation, and Battle Creek.
and hopefully Plaza from 5.

elliot5

Just clarification but is the Xbox One versions really 30fps? Also is the Series X version native 4k at 120fps?
Yes to 30 fps.

Xsx allegedly is 4K120 but I haven't got a 120hz tv to verify. It looks sharp to me and some analysis videos say 4k but idk. Also dunno if it's reconstructed.

PVP was great and really shows its not chasing no call of duty or Battlefield style of shooter.

Honestly overwhelmingly surprised at how great it felt. And I've knocked 343 a lot but it really looks like they got something good here.

Hopefully next flight test isn't too far off and is pvp from the beginning.

Sometimes criticism is a good thing. How does anything ever improve if you tell them they can do no wrong? It does more harm than good. And if they (343) deliver then I’m sure many will give the praise deserved.

Riky

$MSFT
Yes to 30 fps.

Xsx allegedly is 4K120 but I haven't got a 120hz tv to verify. It looks sharp to me and some analysis videos say 4k but idk. Also dunno if it's reconstructed.

I doubt it's 4k 120fps as in the options you get Performance and Quality modes.

Andodalf

Banned
That’s true, fans turning on them was probably why they decided to delay it. But it was for the best, the delay might actually end up turning this around now.
I mean, what has changed beyond the graphics? That was never going to be what made or broke the game

Fredrik

I mean, what has changed beyond the graphics? That was never going to be what made or broke the game
I don’t think they’ve explained everything they’ve done but it’s more than just graphics. It wasn’t a broken game before the delay but it’ll definitely be a better game after the delay.

Mr.ODST

I don’t think they’ve explained everything they’ve done but it’s more than just graphics. It wasn’t a broken game before the delay but it’ll definitely be a better game after the delay.
Tbf could of been alot more time to optimise the MP experience, which so far has really shown.

Concern

Sometimes criticism is a good thing. How does anything ever improve if you tell them they can do no wrong? It does more harm than good. And if they (343) deliver then I’m sure many will give the praise deserved.

I've said this plenty of times. Especially with the criticism Microsoft still gets for the bs they tried pulling last gen with used games for example.

That helps keep them more in touch with reality. Same with the criticism at the campaign reveal of Halo Infinite. I just want this to release in great shape. Servers will be flooded, considering its f2p.

MrFunSocks

Banned
People are forgetting that they're on record saying the MP was basically finished and ready to go, and that they considered launching last holidays with MP only.

What people are playing now has likely barely changed since last year other than the graphics receiving more polish.

I've said this plenty of times. Especially with the criticism Microsoft still gets for the bs they tried pulling last gen with used games for example.

That helps keep them more in touch with reality. Same with the criticism at the campaign reveal of Halo Infinite. I just want this to release in great shape. Servers will be flooded, considering its f2p.

Last Generation I stopped getting involved with the Xbox community much because of the hive mind doubling down that everything was fine , stop hating etc particularly those with a decent twitter following and YouTube. It wasn’t fine. It was comfortably their worst generation so far.

Now imagine if everyone took this attitude to Halo last year , what would we have got? The worst culprits are the bastards who defend crap then tell the “haters” to shut up when things do get better.

Concern

Last Generation I stopped getting involved with the Xbox community much because of the hive mind doubling down that everything was fine , stop hating etc particularly those with a decent twitter following and YouTube. It wasn’t fine. It was comfortably their worst generation so far.

Now imagine if everyone took this attitude to Halo last year , what would we have got? The worst culprits are the bastards who defend crap then tell the “haters” to shut up when things do get better.

Exactly, its sort of what we're seeing now on the other side.

Criticism is always more effective than just praising everything that's done imo.

Top Bottom