• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Flight Impressions (Voting Open)

How would you rate the Flight?

• A

Votes: 91 56.5%
  • B

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • C

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • D

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • E

Votes: 11 6.8%

• Total voters

twilo99

Game looks and plays about how I would’ve expected, runs great on Ultra @ 1440p on my 1080ti, definitely got me interested in the full release. The music was shockingly good, feels way out of left field, unexpected pleasant surprise

Do we know whos doing the score on this project? I feel like Halo games have always had solid soundtracks

Batiman

Banned
Glad to see the positive talk of this online. Seems like 343s gonna pit out a solid package.

How does one even get invited to this?
Halos my GOAT franchise. Been playing since the OG.

Concern

Had to weigh in on this, seeing as my expectations have been very low.

This has been surprisingly fun. Weapons feel great, movement is fluid, and ttk seems just right.

Granted we're only playing bots and even then im having fun. Even my girlfriend has been playing tf out of the beta.

Now im looking forward to some pvp betas soon hopefully.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Glad to see the positive talk of this online. Seems like 343s gonna pit out a solid package.

How does one even get invited to this?
Halos my GOAT franchise. Been playing since the OG.
Halo - Official Site (halowaypoint.com)
Click become an insider and set up your Flight Profile so that you can get invited for next round onwards.

They're accurate af. Had one take my shields down so i hid behind cover. And the muthafucker threw a nade perfectly around cover and killed me lol.
For real. If they have another higher difficulty, I'm terrified at what they can do lmao

Concern

You just reminded me of playing the CoD World at War campaign on the veteran difficulty. Specifically the Heart of the Reich mission.

The stuff of nightmares.

Most frustrating mission of any cod on veteran. That thing frustrated tf out of me.

I couldn't imagine if they adjusted bots to legendary difficulty. It'd be tough.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This game is fucking sick. It feels so good. To think it’s 2 months old. Honestly, I think this halo is going to be special and I’m ready for it. Too many cheaters on cod and apex which was my fav. I’m so ready to go back to halo. GG 343i

Concern

This game is fucking sick. It feels so good. To think it’s 2 months old. Honestly, I think this halo is going to be special and I’m ready for it. Too many cheaters on cod and apex which was my fav. I’m so ready to go back to halo. GG 343i

Its going to be tough if Battlefield knocks it out of the park with the next game. Although it appeals to two different crowds.

Now if the br mode is true, this can probably be huge.

Concern

One is also free to play so that will help

True. I wasn't even considering that. I was just more thinking about the potential buyers.

Fans of either will buy their game day one. Its about luring those undecided fans who can/will only buy one.

Banned

Brute armor appears to be significantly upgraded.

in the showcase last year, Infinite had the same issue that Halo 5 had... everything looks like plastic and unused. the art team at 343i was pretty shit from the very start but Halo 5 was just the worst. they of course reverted the artstyle to be more like Halo 3 again with Infinite (like, Master Chief's design looks better than ever before), but you could see the remnants of Halo 5 in last year's gameplay

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
True. I wasn't even considering that. I was just more thinking about the potential buyers.

Fans of either will buy their game day one. Its about luring those undecided fans who can/will only buy one.

ill be day one on both I just hope battlefield launches smooth.

elliot5

BR > Commando for sure. Commando you can prob kill a hair faster if you're really accurate with headshots, but the kickback is kinda nuts. BR is stable AF which makes it easier to control.

h00ters

Few quick things:

- Love the weapon sounds this time round. The BR hasn't sounded this punchy since its original iteration in Halo 2.
- They've definitely dialed back the auto aim on controller in anticipation of this game being a big drawcard on PC. Takes some getting used to but I'm starting to adjust now
- That being said, I'm REALLY struggling with the snipe in this game. It feels to me that the initial zoom is way too much and needs to be drawn back a bit.
- I've found the feedback on where you're taking damage from isn't as good as previous games
- Likewise, the feedback on when an enemy is one shot now is significantly harder to tell given all enemies have a permanent bright red glow to them. This could just be because it's a new system and I'm not used to it yet...
- I actually really like the equipment so far. Drop shield is the bubble shield but more evolved in that it doesn't just turn the fight into a standoff. It gives the person who deploys it a distinct advantage initially but a good player could still outplay them by breaking it down whilst utilising cover.
- Likewise, the grapple shot is great fun as well

Spartan bots are up. Back to back perfections first two games.

I think PvP will be turned on in a few hours. I'm in EU so will wake up early and hope it's still live I guess. But I'm done with bots for now, I see no noticeable step up from odst to spartan at all. Maybe they stay alive a bit better?

Game is fucking solid btw. 343 have knocked it out of the park so far. Considering this is vanilla/casual settings, the balance is already lightyears ahead of pretty much every other halo.

Onikaan

Pros;
- Gunplay is solid.
- Sprint got nerfed.
- No ground pound, shoulder charge or thrust.
- The new pistol is delicious.
- The Halo 3/Reach armour aesthetic is wonderful.

Cons;
- 343 and maps. All three of the maps shown in this flight are absolutely awful. But no surprises there.
- Some of these new guns are rancid. The brute charge thing is very confusing to use. Visually it seems to just vomit something and do little to no damage? Fair enough if user error. Same with the auto carbine thing, seems like a waste of a gun slot. Put a DMR or a nade launcher in there instead. I feel like this is a problem from H4 and H5. New weapons that people don't want to use that are forced upon players because they're sat around the map. We want a rifle, and a pistol/AR. Then leave interesting weapons dotted around the map like needler/reach nade launcher/shotty. Weapons that are situational.
- This might be the low TTK, but I feel there needs to be some more feedback that you're being shot at. A few times I just evaporated before I could work out where bullets were coming from.
- The UI is rough. I found myself darting my eyes around looking for grenade information. Same with the radar. Its tucked away and far too small.
-And this is probably a little cheeky but the game ran like ass for me all weekend. The audio crackled in and out, and the FR drops and stuttering made it really hard to play. Which is a shame because it got in the way of me testing it. It's an alpha build, I totally get it. But if they want us to play and test we need something that is stable - doesn't have to look pretty.

- Last one and the big one for me. Radar only lights up for gunfire and sprinting. Bad. Crouch moving has a place in outplays and this change makes it obsolete.

All that said... I'm excited that this might be the one for 343. It looks very promising.

Last edited:

Concern

Spartan bots are up. Back to back perfections first two games.

I think PvP will be turned on in a few hours. I'm in EU so will wake up early and hope it's still live I guess. But I'm done with bots for now, I see no noticeable step up from odst to spartan at all. Maybe they stay alive a bit better?

Game is fucking solid btw. 343 have knocked it out of the park so far. Considering this is vanilla/casual settings, the balance is already lightyears ahead of pretty much every other halo.

Was there an official word on pvp being turned on today? I haven't seen that anywhere.

Banned
Pros;
- Gunplay is solid.
- Sprint got nerfed.
- No ground pound, shoulder charge or thrust.
- The new pistol is delicious.
- The Halo 3/Reach armour aesthetic is wonderful.

Cons;
- 343 and maps. All three of the maps shown in this flight are absolutely awful. But no surprises there.
- Some of these new guns are rancid. The brute charge thing is very confusing to use. Visually it seems to just vomit something and do little to no damage? Fair enough if user error. Same with the auto carbine thing, seems like a waste of a gun slot. Put a DMR or a nade launcher in there instead. I feel like this is a problem from H4 and H5. New weapons that people don't want to use that are forced upon players because they're sat around the map. We want a rifle, and a pistol/AR. Then leave interesting weapons dotted around the map like needler/reach nade launcher/shotty. Weapons that are situational.
- This might be the low TTK, but I feel there needs to be some more feedback that you're being shot at. A few times I just evaporated before I could work out where bullets were coming from.
- The UI is rough. I found myself darting my eyes around looking for grenade information. Same with the radar. Its tucked away and far too small.
-And this is probably a little cheeky but the game ran like ass for me all weekend. The audio crackled in and out, and the FR drops and stuttering made it really hard to play. Which is a shame because it got in the way of me testing it. It's an alpha build, I totally get it. But if they want us to play and test we need something that is stable - doesn't have to look pretty.

- Last one and the big one for me. Radar only lights up for gunfire and sprinting. Bad. Crouch moving has a place in outplays and this change makes it obsolete.

I'll agree with your pros from what I've seen,

but about the Radar, that's actually good. in ranked and in competitive games Halo is always played with radar off, only Halo 5 was played with radar on because Halo 5 is a shitty mess that needed it.

and with this setup where you are only on the radar if you sprint, it's almost like playing ranked halo Reach but with a twist. you will need to listen to audio cues and think before using sprint.

TheShocker

What control scheme is everyone using? I keep bouncing back between the default controls and the legacy settings. If default could add an alt mode to the controls, it would be perfect. I need to be able to switch zoom levels with the right thumb stick. Not the left. But I also don’t think legacy controls translated over well to this game.

Last edited:
Was there an official word on pvp being turned on today? I haven't seen that anywhere.

Not "official" but it sounds more than likely from tweets from the halo devs.

Yeah...no. The current radar enables good players/smart players a lot more potential than the horrendous implementation of radar in vanilla settings in previous games. All it ever results in is free info and rewards camping like people crouching in the corner. Now you can actually be mobile and outsmart players. It's the best aspect of halo but is only usually possible in the comp playlists where it's naturally turned off as it's a busted mechanic. Very pleased to see 343 finally fix radar for casual players too. It will hopefully train them to not have radar as a crutch and realise how fun it is using your gamesense to out manouvre enemies.

Last edited:

Onikaan

but about the Radar, that's actually good. in ranked and in competitive games Halo is always played with radar off, only Halo 5 was played with radar on because Halo 5 is a shitty mess that needed it.

and with this setup where you are only on the radar if you sprint, it's almost like playing ranked halo Reach but with a twist. you will need to listen to audio cues and think before using sprint.

Ha! Well maybe you're right about the audio but I couldn't hear shit. It was very unstable for me for some reason. Every other second it would cut out.

I'm totally down for no radars, but yeah need to hear what's going on instead.

If we're playing radars im going to use it and full speed walking not giving off information is kinda dirty, I feel. Especially with the Sprint speed change. Crouching at least slows you down so you're at somewhat of a disadvantage for speed if you're being hunted.

Banned
Ha! Well maybe you're right about the audio but I couldn't hear shit. It was very unstable for me for some reason. Every other second it would cut out.

I'm totally down for no radars, but yeah need to hear what's going on instead.

If we're playing radars im going to use it and full speed walking not giving off information is kinda dirty, I feel. Especially with the Sprint speed change. Crouching at least slows you down so you're at somewhat of a disadvantage for speed if you're being hunted.

I love it tho xD killing the CoD kiddies that can't help themselves and will sprint all the time

Onikaan

Not "official" but it sounds more than likely from tweets from the halo devs.

Yeah...no. The current radar enables good players/smart players a lot more potential than the horrendous implementation of radar in vanilla settings in previous games. All it ever results in is free info and rewards camping like people crouching in the corner. Now you can actually be mobile and outsmart players. It's the best aspect of halo but is only usually possible in the comp playlists where it's naturally turned off as it's a busted mechanic. Very pleased to see 343 finally fix radar for casual players too. It will hopefully train them to not have radar as a crutch and realise how fun it is using your gamesense to out manouvre enemies.

Well you might as well just turn it off completely. Then everyone can learn to play with the dar off. Baptism of fire.

You can out manouvre people using the Intel they think they're getting off the radar too though? It works both ways. I personally don't care if they're on or off but if they're on, no detection with the new walk speed seems rough - especially with how low the range seems too.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Nice. Literally just turned it on and played on Eagle again. Which one did they add?
Bazaar.

But then what is the point of crouching?

Banned
But then what is the point of crouching?

well you need it to slide, you need it if you are dodging shots, there are still some places where you can crouch jump and maybe in some spots to duck behind cover

ALSO TEABAGGING!

edit: also you make no sound while crouching...

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
nope. shields now recharge while sprinting, which makes sense when you remember that Sprint is now only 2% faster than normal speed

my enemy #1 in Infinite is now Clamber, which is just a bad mechanic that could EASILY be replaced by more dynamic mechanics.
Splitgate, which is basically Halo with portals, has a jetpack that gives you short bursts... that basically works like clamber as in it gets you up higher ledges, but different to clamber you can perform it during combat and while facing any direction, making it way more dynamic.

for Halo I think a jetpack would be too much, but a small thrust jump (basically a double jump) that would allow you to get EXACTLY the same hight you can get with clambering up ledges now, would be a way better solution than clamber.

edit: here sprint in action in comparison to normal walking:

Still 2% too fast

Top Bottom