• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Flight Impressions (Voting Open)

How would you rate the Flight?

• A

Votes: 91 56.5%
  • B

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • C

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • D

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • E

Votes: 11 6.8%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
Mod edit: poll added at ops request and title updated

9K7mgi.jpg

BOT SLAYER
During this tech preview you will be able to play in our Bot Slayer playlist which supports teams of 4 facing off against 4 Bots in Slayer matches. Over the course of the test, we expect to evolve the experience to introduce a different map and crank up the skill level of your bot opponents. Check out the Content & Play Sessions article on the Insider Support Site for additional details. Be sure to check out the Tech Preview Overview blog for even more details.

ACADEMY
Weapon Drills, a first for the Halo franchise, will be available for you to play immediately upon download and will persist until the end of the tech preview. Feel free to jump in and begin practicing with various weapons as soon, and as often, as you like.

BATTLE PASS & STORE
We have enabled specific elements of our progression and customization systems in this flight, including our Battle Pass and Store. Your account has been granted Credits (cR) so that you can purchase a Battle Pass and various items in the Store. We are hoping to gather feedback on the overall experience and verify that everything is working as intended. Be sure to visit the Store and advance through your Battle Pass to unlock new customization items for your Spartan. Please note that your unlocks and progression will not carry over beyond this tech preview and everything from values to XP gains to the order of unlocking is all work-in-progress and subject to change by launch.

File size is 18GB on Xbox

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly played like 2 games and switched it off.. i get why they are doing it.... but sheesh. It gets boring REAL FAST.

Keep my attention by at least adding more than a single map right off the bat.

As usual, 343 doing it wrong.

troll trolling GIF

When you see users post history and notice nothing but poor drive by posts 🤭

OT: Have yet to download. Will give it a try but not very enthusiastic about playing bots.

YukiOnna

Mentioned in the other thread, but it played really well. Gunplay is good, movement is fast and sprint and climb don't really break up gameplay. On top of that the bot AI is decent. I couldn't load into the Weapon Drills weirdly enough so I hope to try that tomorrow.

Honestly played like 2 games and switched it off.. i get why they are doing it.... but sheesh. It gets boring REAL FAST.

What? Did you even read what this first invite was for...?

BigLee74

You are aware this isn’t the full game, and their primary goal is not to keep you interested?

You have signed up merely to help them test something.

Someone should have tempered their expectations!

Leyasu

Banned
My copy and paste from the other thread.

Just played a couple of matches. No spartan charge and ground pound is nice. The bots are a bit easy though. The AR is also a pretty viable weapon. Can't wait for the full release.

Some of the menus don't seem to do anything though. I ticked the box where it would show me the ping of my games and I can't see what my ping is in game.

One other thing, I am getting some ghosting on the vertivcal lines on the structures when I turn the camera. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just my fucking Samsung tvs inverse ghosting? I set the sharpening in the game menu to 0 which seemed to help a bit, but it is still visible. Could someone do have a look on their tv please??

PLEASE SOMEONE HAE A LOOK AND SEE IF THEY ARE GETTING NOISY/GHOSTING BACKGROUNDS WHEN PANNING THE CAMERA WHEN PLAYING PLEASE

FeldMonster

In their stream the other day, Tom French mentioned that the bots are on their easiest difficultly, and as people kill enough of them at each level, they will increase the difficulty (Recruit, Marine, ODST, Spartan). So the more you play, the faster the difficulty will ramp up.

As for my personal experience, the whole thing is completely borked and impossible for me to play despite getting an actual invite, even this morning. The MCC Insider app/game was always a mess, and this is apparently no different. I defend 343 in general, as I love Halo 4 and 5, but the insider process is, and has always been, a disaster.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I did most of the weapon drills. The choppiness is a bit a annoying when going for full challenge stars as it fucks up the panning when drag aiming.

One thing that really irks me about Xbox in general is the senstivity on the controller of the sticks. They are ridiculous to point of being manic. Controller is generally awful anyway for FPS but it feels even more gimped on Xbox. I've tried loads of different games and probably the most manageable was BF4 with all the settings its gives you. The rest just seems to have a really offputting default sens/acceleration. Had a few games after that and it's good arena fun basically. Some really good players out there as well.

HAve to get back to work now but will be on tonight for the time slot specified :)

Godot25

Banned
Got in, played two matches.

I don't want to talk about performance because it is Techical Preview after all. But in terms of gameplay i think 343 finally nailed it. Game is tight as hell, guns feels great and requires skill (Sidekick, Commando etc.) but I would like if they carried over connecting shield regen to spriting like in Halo 5. It's more simple game then Halo 5, but on the other hand Halo 3 and Halo 2 were also simple to grab so...it's good thing i guess.

Too soon to conclude anything, but if they are able to provide plethora of game modes I think i found my "daily MP game" after i got fed up with unbalanced clusterfuck called Destiny 2

Mr.ODST

Im their stream the other day, Tom French mentioned that the bots are on their easiest difficultly, and as people kill enough of them at each level, they will increase the difficulty (Recruit, Marine, ODST, Spartan). So the more you play, the faster the difficulty will ramp up.

As for my personal experience, the whole thing is completely borked and impossible for me to play despite getting an actual invite, even this morning. The MCC Insider app/game was always a mess, and this is apparently no different. I defend 343 in general, as I love Halo 4 and 5, but the insider process is, and has always been, a disaster.
Whats happened? If you get the Insider download you have to restart your Xbox for it to update.

First impressions, this game is gonna be huge if they do a few more tweaks, MS is on a roll lately and glad 343i has had enough time to improve because it looks great on Series X and plays really well.

If you’re not even here to be helpful in fine tuning the experience why bother does everything Xbox have to turn into console warring drive by and shit posting do you feel better now? It’s called a technical preview which is from a two month old build it’s meant to stress test their servers and get feedback for fine tuning not for you to play the full experience.

jigglet

Banned
I haven't got my code yet but based on the videos I've been watching I love how they have moved almost all the HUD to the bottom and made the shield bar really skinny. Everything looks so much cleaner.

It feels like a really refined Halo 5 which is exactly what I wanted.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
No spartan charge and ground pound is nice.

Are those the only two changes from H5's controls? If so GREAT! Spartan charge was the only thing I hated from H5, I loved everything else (screw the haters!). I had no issue with ground pound though.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
One thing that really irks me about Xbox in general is the senstivity on the controller of the sticks. They are ridiculous to point of being manic. Controller is generally awful anyway for FPS but it feels even more gimped on Xbox. I've tried loads of different games and probably the most manageable was BF4 with all the settings its gives you. The rest just seems to have a really offputting default sens/acceleration. Had a few games after that and it's good arena fun basically.

Read this to understand why it's fucked:

Halo 5 was one of my favourite games last gen with one of the worst aim mechanics. The sad thing is, even as bad as it was, that was after about 3 patches to "improve" it. You should have seen the acceleration curve at launch...it was fucking woeful. 343i has no idea how to design a good aim mechanic. They are without exception one of the worst out there, slightly above Ubi.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

ok warrior

They see Xbox threads and feel threatened, here is their mantra:

*See Xbox Game Thread that sounds positive*

Prepare for trouble.
To protect the Jim Ryan from devastation!
To hate all Xbox within our Playstation nation!
To denounce the evils of Spencer and Nadella!
SSD!
Exclusives!
Team Playstation, blast off at the speed of our 5.5GB/s!
Surrender now, you have no exclusives prepare to fight!
That's right!

... ill leave now

GametimeUK

Sounds like you were expecting a demo showcasing a chunk of the multiplayer. How exactly are they doing it wrong?

REDRZA MWS

It’s not running as well on my PC (i9 9900k, EVGA 2080ti, 32 GB Ram) as it is on my series x. Running at 1440p and high settings. Any ideas?

elliot5

I think the gunplay and sounds are great. Some guns I don't really like using like the heatwave and plasma pistol. Almost seems like the plasma doesn't lock on very well or is bugged and will miss a clean shot to disable armor.

Movement feels good to me. Not crazy like H5, but still feels fast paced enough.

UI is alright. Does its job. Would like to see enemy shields revert to yellow instead of just more red glow as it is in this build vs the MP trailer.

Lobby and the music is cool! Some UI issues with spartan customization. Dunno why the body type and prosthetics stuff is sectioned off from the other customization. Armor customization is a little cumbersome with the horizontal layout and equipping with X and not A.

Personal AI + Spartan chatter + the announcer + whomever else the npc talking is can be a bit much.

Overall I think it's really solid and I'm looking forward to more

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
First of all, get along kids. I don't know how there's so much insecurity. It feels like 2006 again more frequently than it needs to.

On topic, I finally got my key and am downloading now. Expectations tempered.

Andodalf

Banned
My game won’t launch when my console is set to 120 FPS (I have to switch setting cus my tv only does 120 at 1440), but when I launch the game it’s set to performance mode by default.

HTK

Banned
I haven't played it but it looks really good on the gameplay front. I'm little bit surprised after an additional year of development how a 3090 GPU pushes just a little bit over 100+ FPS, at least based on the streamers I was watching yesterday. Hopefully they continue to optimize.

Really excited for it but man, I can't build a PC because of part shortage and no Xbox Series X on shelves. :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, it runs ok given my high end spec. Understanding it's also not final.

Gameplay is ok, fun enough. Would love to try a campaign mission.

Graphics are merely ok. Clean as far as IQ but that's the part that's easy. Nothing extraordinary but I think we all should have expected this given the reveal quality.

Just played a couple of matches. No spartan charge and ground pound is nice. The bots are a bit easy though. The AR is also a pretty viable weapon. Can't wait for the full release.

Some of the menus don't seem to do anything though. I ticked the box where it would show me the ping of my games and I can't see what my ping is in game.

One other thing, I am getting some ghosting on the vertivcal lines on the structures when I turn the camera. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just my fucking Samsung tvs inverse ghosting? I set the sharpening in the game menu to 0 which seemed to help a bit, but it is still visible. Could someone do have a look on their tv please??

PLEASE SOMEONE HAE A LOOK AND SEE IF THEY ARE GETTING NOISY/GHOSTING BACKGROUNDS WHEN PANNING THE CAMERA WHEN PLAYING PLEASE
Btos are supposed to be easy.

This flight test was very easy and easy bots being used. Future flight tests will feature increased difficulty in bots, mixtures of bots and human players on teams, etc.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Guns feel decent and runs pretty well on the Series X. Like others have said bots are way too easy but they said that going in they would increase their difficulty.

Just not sure if its going to be deep enough to hold my interest but look forward to actually playing pvp hopefully Sunday evening.

I saw the ghosting as well, and it almost looks like slowdown but I assume performance mode is over 60 fps. I'm on a 120 fps oled.

Definitelt needs cleaned up, whatever it is.

Leyasu

Banned
I saw the ghosting as well, and it almost looks like slowdown but I assume performance mode is over 60 fps. I'm on a 120 fps oled.

Definitelt needs cleaned up, whatever it is.
Yeah I thought that it looked like the scenery was moving slower than the rest. A bit like when they upped the frame rate on modern warfare.

I am glad that I am not the only person seeing it. Plus you are on a different tv to me

DOW

I was able to play about 6 matches this morning. I really like it. It feels like a blend of H5 and Reach without the abilities and all the sprint panting.

As a forever Halo fan I like sprint and the sliding. Clambering I’m impartial to. I’m really looking forward to the full game now.

Jmatt110

Played about 5 matches so far. Bots are super easy, they never got more than 12 kills total against our team, though the devs turn up the difficulty soon. PC performance is not great for the quality of graphics (obviously it's still in beta, so optimisations expected etc).

Guns feel good to use, Assault Rifle is pretty viable out to mid-range. Burst plasma rifle does a ton of damage, but has slow, easy to dodge projectiles. The one map available is very small, seems decent enough, some long sightlines and plenty of short, closed in areas.

Hard to give any kind of verdict with only one map and bots available, but they're on the right track so far.

small_law

So what's the point of comparison? Is it a better 343 Halo or did they blend in Reach? I know better than to get my hopes up, but I'm really starting to look forward to Halo Infinite.

I'm dissapointed beyond belief played halo from combat evolved to 5 , signed up to insider as soon as it was available and didn't got an invite fuck 343

elliot5

So what's the point of comparison? Is it a better 343 Halo or did they blend in Reach? I know better than to get my hopes up, but I'm really starting to look forward to Halo Infinite.
Feels like Halo 3 and Halo 5 mixed. Not so much Reach other than sprint, but sprint is toned down compared to Reach. No equipment like jetpacks and loadouts and such. just pickups like overshield and dropwall similar to 3. Feels good to play imo.

Naked Lunch

Huge Halo fan here and I like what Ive played so far. Took me about 3 rounds to get warmed up - and I started going off from there getting 20 kills a game.
Its slower and less wacky than H5 - and sprint is not all that fast (these are good things). I didnt even feel like I was moving much faster with sprint.
As much as I liked boost/thrust for H4 and 5 - they were a get out of jail free card. Halo is better without it.

The BR feels really good. Very Halo 2-like feel. Much different from H5's BR.

I like that the Infinite pistol is not the be all end all weapon like it is in Halo 5 and Halo 1. The pistol is more in-line with the Halo 2 pistol - lots of ammo per clip but takes quite a few hits to kill. 343 ruined H5 in my opinion when they buffed the hell out of the pistol a year or so post-launch - rendering almost all other weapons irrelevant especially the BR. I returned to H5 recently and theres no reason to use a BR over pistol at all in that game. Infinite seems to fix this.

Ive been a red spartan for nearly 20 years now - but for this game with the red blue outline thing, teammates kept shooting me - I guess they saw me as badguy red. I might have to change my spartan's color which fucking sucks.

I love the menus and customization screens. The Spartans and their gear look incredible. Really cool you can change AIs too - I didnt get much time to mess with that stuff.
The team intro animations are pretty hype and the next evolution from Halo 5. Very cool way to start a round.
Not a fan of the drums and guitar multiplayer soundtrack. I like my Halo more electronic or orchestral.

I know its just a test but it seems rather rough around the edges and unfinished. Just personally, I expected things to be further along especially with the delays.
Im just glad to finally have a new Halo again - been far too long.

Last edited:

Calverz

Personally decided not to join the technical alpha because I want to wait until launch. But sort of regretting this now. Can someone confirm it plays more like the old games and less like halo 5?

elliot5

Personally decided not to join the technical alpha because I want to wait until launch. But sort of regretting this now. Can someone confirm it plays more like the old games and less like halo 5?
The only thing that plays like Halo 5 here is clambering. Sprint is marginally faster than not sprinting and there's no thrusting or ground pounding. Smart Link (ADS) isn't as abusive as it is in Halo 5. It's more like Halo 3 with some modernizations and things carried over from 5.

Naked Lunch

I've downloaded but yet to play.

For those saying Sprint is barely faster than normal I ask what is the point of Sprint then?
Perhaps just to appease people who need sprint in FPS game. I have several friends who used to play Halo 1-3 religiously in the 2000s, but when trying to play the MCC in 2021 they wont do it because: "it doesnt have sprint". I dont get it but thats what they said.
Sprint is there in Infinite but you arent going to warp around the map using it.

Last edited:

Calverz

The only thing that plays like Halo 5 here is clambering. Sprint is marginally faster than not sprinting and there's no thrusting or ground pounding. Smart Link (ADS) isn't as abusive as it is in Halo 5. It's more like Halo 3 with some modernizations and things carried over from 5.
Clambering I can live with. Do you still need to press A to do this or is it automatic?

I like the sound of sprint changes.
The whole ADS thing still concerns me a little.

Top Bottom