• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite director Chris Lee has left the project

pixelation

BgTM6DQic6Y
Mrs. Beakley?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Fire Bonnie Ross and all the upper level management. I have no experience running a studio but at this point I'm willing to bet I could do a better job than they have. For starters I'd actually listen to the people that buy the shit I make and build in that direction. Also, she looks like she smells like cat piss.

Seriously, cut the head off that dragon before things get any worse. At this point 343i is a bunch of talented artists, programmers and engineers being held back by dogshit leadership. Salvage the talent before they jump ship and go work for the competition. It's an obvious solution to an obvious problem.

All my favorite Sci-fi stuff has become complete shit thanks to insane activists and danger-haired cat ladies (no offence to CatLady CatLady ) self-inserting their idiotic mentalities into everything they touch. Star Wars and Star Trek are laughably awful now, and Halo appears to have slid into the shit-pile with them.

No offense taken, I hate heinous bitches, while I am a cat lover, I have 1 cat and no danger hair. My user name is an ironic jab at those hateful feminists hags they make me want to become a trans man just so I don't have to share a gender with them.

Can't wait to see how Microsoft will manage Bethesda....
MS management continues to excel. Halo is such an average series now, and this is shaping up to be even worse than 5. would not be surprised if this isn't out until holiday 2021

This has nothing to do with MS management. This is on 343 management.

The other studios dont have these issues, like Mojang with Minecraft.

oldergamer

You guys were calling for someone to get fired. Now you have it. Chris was responsible for halo development, so he bears the brunt of the criticism for how its going. They obviously had problems and totally missed where development should have been. The fact all the halo tie-ins are running now without the game meant he was on the way out anyway.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I had to pre-order this game with a gift card because my CC expired before it came out.

Little did I know that my new CC will also expire before this game comes out.

oldergamer

Guy is leaving after completion of the game (remaining are essentially technical adjustments, and post launch content), how can we turn this into a concern news ?
Well the crowd on gaf will turn anything into concern wars. When it comes to Xbox or MS specifically. I'm sure they will find someone to replace him. Btw, I thought it was a design director that left last time around. Not a development director.

Good.

If he can't deliver a solid product then why is he even there? As usual people will blame the whole of MS and Xbox for this, but trust me there are some god awful people in jobs they shouldn't be in, and he seems to be one of the if Infinite is anything to go by.

I dont understand how making a Halo game is so fucking difficult for these guys. Like holy shit.

Halo is not complicated. See what worked in the past and copy that. How fucking hard is that to do. 10+ years with the IP and theyre still clueless.

At this point, im honestly willing to give the IP back to bungie. At least theyve proven that they can handle it. 343 is such a fucking disaster. My god.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Exactly! This would have been a decision made by the 343 upper management. You can't have the person leading development miss dates.

Paradicia

I can see Halo Infinite being canned like how Splinter Cell Conviction was many years when Ubisoft brought out hobo Sam Fisher in 2007. It reappeared two years later completely redesigned. This is what will happen to Infinite. It's too big of a franchise for it to hit a bum note. If they let it come out in its current form, it will do irreparable damage to the franchise.

Dolomite

Well put. This is 343's first project under Phil. A captain needs to put trust in his lieutenants. Phil can't and shouldn't micromanage every studio but sometimes he needs to step in. I don't blame Phil for 343's failure. That said it is certainly time that he gets more involved; I wish it had happened sooner but perhaps this big of a debacle will force some more drastic action.
Exactly. He's got to overlook the fiscal obligations and logistical targets of thousand and thousands of people(not including devs). For him to step in is a big fucking deal. Not some admission of guilt. I'm sure many bricks were shat behind closed 343 doors

It's obvious that he wasn't diverse enough to talk without mansplaining, so it's better like this.

That project is a shit show, the like we have not seen in gaming since Duke Nukem forever.

BigLee74

I still wonder why people protect 343... They are clearly blind, 343 just ruined Halo and thats it

I think they deserved a chance. Halo 5 MP is absolutely sublime, and that's the meat and potatoes.

MCC is a stellar collection, and packaged well. OK, the MP matchmaking was broken for a long time (I remember horrendous 20 minute waits for a 5 minute game of slayer), but is in a great place now (save for lack of regional server selection, but that's coming).

So yeah, they proved they could do MP, they weren't scared to try new things to mix it up. Well worth a shot on Infinite. I'll reserve overall judgement until I see the final game.

My advice to MS, just put this franchise in hibernation and kill 343. Use your other more capable studios to work on other stuff.

Phil cant even manage the one franchise that put xbox on the map but sure, lets cheer that he has a blank check to buy out the industry. I never liked gaming that much anyways amirite?
Sure its Phill fault coz 343 team cant make good game? How come Playground and other studios can make better game than 343 in time? Im sure he not happy but instead of firing everyone from work. He wants to team to do right and deliver a good Halo game

oldergamer

I dont understand how making a Halo game is so fucking difficult for these guys. Like holy shit.

Halo is not complicated. See what worked in the past and copy that. How fucking hard is that to do. 10+ years with the IP and theyre still clueless.

At this point, im honestly willing to give the IP back to bungie. At least theyve proven that they can handle it. 343 is such a fucking disaster. My god.
That is a really clueless statement. Game development isn't simple. not even close.

Last edited:
I think they deserved a chance. Halo 5 MP is absolutely sublime, and that's the meat and potatoes.

MCC is a stellar collection, and packaged well. OK, the MP matchmaking was broken for a long time (I remember horrendous 20 minute waits for a 5 minute game of slayer), but is in a great place now (save for lack of regional server selection, but that's coming).

So yeah, they proved they could do MP, they weren't scared to try new things to mix it up. Well worth a shot on Infinite. I'll reserve overall judgement until I see the final game.

Thats the thing tho, theyve had chances. Multiple chances. They screwed up MCC, they screwed up H4, they screwed up H5... I mean even baseball players have 3 strikes and youre out.

343 struck out.

Drewpee

Banned

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...o-game-loses-top-director-after-project-delay

Second director to leave and one of countless leads to have left development partway through. Almost every lead role at 343 has been a revolving door since dev on Halo 4 began. Very little continuity.

My take as a long time Halo fan:

This one actually strikes me as a loss for Halo fans. Chris always struck me as one of the more passionate people at 343, a big fan of the series. It is a wonder to me that he is leaving but other longtime 343 leaders have stayed in their roles for such a long time. I think the problems at the studio are larger than the problems on this game. The game is just shining a light on the underlying issues at the studio. There is a serious leadership problem and a lack of a cohesive vision for the franchise as a whole.

In my opinion Chris was placed in a no win situation. When the inevitable happened he was the only one left standing when the music stopped. Maybe I am wrong, but just my take as someone who has watched the circus around Halo since Bungie left this franchise in Microsoft's hands.

I agree, Xbox is my preferred platform but anyone that is being honest has to say 343 looks like a dumpster fire right now. The situation screams mismanagement and I think the Halo franchise is suffering as a result.

That is a really clueless statement. Game development isn't simple. not even close.

I know its more than that, but had they started by understanding what classic halo did well, they wouldnt be in this fucking situation now. They blew everything up with 4 and started over. Complete incompetence. Theyve had it for 10+ years now.

There are no more excuses. These guys suck ass, period.

OrtizTwelve

Studio seems like a mess the last couple of years. Unless this is normal for many studios, we just don't hear about it much.

Honestly, all they had to do was just reboot Halo Combat Evolved / Halo 2 style game for a modern day year 2020 -2021 interpretation of the game, and reset the series completely.

They should have stuck to the basics -- a good standalone linear story driven action FPS single player campaign, and a straightforward multiplayer component reminiscent of Halo 2.

Instead they're going all in on this open world nonsense and constantly evolving online multiplayer aspect a la Destiny, with a lot of flair and nonsense.

It seems they got the art style right with Halo Infinite, it just doesn't fit the direction they want to go.

Halo was great when it was JUST HALO. If they just kinda stuck to Bungie's original DNA of Halo 1 to 3, they should be ok.

Codes 208

People on Twitter and Facebook were pointing that it seems like he actually sidelined by Joe Staten. Take with a grain of salt but if that’s true I’m not even mad, give Joe the reign again

diffusionx

Gold Member
Just hire a team like Asobo or Sumo Digital to make a Halo game. They can't do worse than 343 and in fact could do a lot better.

whitesugar

Banned

343 management ultimately reports to MS management though. MS not realising what a turd the game was looking before the backlash speaks volumes

Njocky

Banned

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...o-game-loses-top-director-after-project-delay

Second director to leave and one of countless leads to have left development partway through. Almost every lead role at 343 has been a revolving door since dev on Halo 4 began. Very little continuity.

My take as a long time Halo fan:

This one actually strikes me as a loss for Halo fans. Chris always struck me as one of the more passionate people at 343, a big fan of the series. It is a wonder to me that he is leaving but other longtime 343 leaders have stayed in their roles for such a long time. I think the problems at the studio are larger than the problems on this game. The game is just shining a light on the underlying issues at the studio. There is a serious leadership problem and a lack of a cohesive vision for the franchise as a whole.

In my opinion Chris was placed in a no win situation. When the inevitable happened he was the only one left standing when the music stopped. Maybe I am wrong, but just my take as someone who has watched the circus around Halo since Bungie left this franchise in Microsoft's hands.

It's Bonnie Ross that should go. the buck shouldn't stop half way to the top.
Just scrap everything and let Machine Games make this game from scratch or at least consult very heavily on the project. There will be enough games to play in the meantime. Put 343 on a new IP with no technical inheritance that they can build from the ground up. Or sell the studio, at this stage I don't care.

Shi11

Banned
Justice for Craig, he deserves better. Seriously though props to whoever has the balls to step in to Direct this shit show.

Top Bottom