• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite director Chris Lee has left the project

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...o-game-loses-top-director-after-project-delay
Turbulence continues on Microsoft Corp.’s Halo Infinite video game with the departure of the project’s director.

“I have stepped back from Infinite and I am looking at future opportunities,” Lee said. “I believe in the team and am confident they will deliver a great game and now is a good time for me to step away.”

The highly anticipated next Halo installment was originally slated to come out alongside Microsoft’s launch of its next-generation Xbox Series X console in November. The game was delayed in early August, however, following poor fan reception to an early public version. Lee’s role was sidelined a few weeks later, as Microsoft brought in Halo veteran Joe Staten to lead the single-player campaign and another senior executive, Pierre Hintze, to run multiplayer.

Second director to leave and one of countless leads to have left development partway through. Almost every lead role at 343 has been a revolving door since dev on Halo 4 began. Very little continuity.

My take as a long time Halo fan:

This one actually strikes me as a loss for Halo fans. Chris always struck me as one of the more passionate people at 343, a big fan of the series. It is a wonder to me that he is leaving but other longtime 343 leaders have stayed in their roles for such a long time. I think the problems at the studio are larger than the problems on this game. The game is just shining a light on the underlying issues at the studio. There is a serious leadership problem and a lack of a cohesive vision for the franchise as a whole.

In my opinion Chris was placed in a no win situation. When the inevitable happened he was the only one left standing when the music stopped. Maybe I am wrong, but just my take as someone who has watched the circus around Halo since Bungie left this franchise in Microsoft's hands.

Last edited:

Arun1910

Craig.jpg

Azurro

Banned
The game was delayed in early August, however, following poor fan reception to an early public version. Lee’s role was sidelined a few weeks later, as Microsoft brought in Halo veteran Joe Staten to lead the single-player campaign and another senior executive, Pierre Hintze, to run multiplayer.

This seems like more of a delayed firing/quitting than anything else, given that there were already new people assigned to direct the game, so not that big of a deal. Given the results, it still seems to be a shitshow though.

BabyYoda

Banned
Please tell me Bonnie Ross is next, I know they'll never dare to fire a diversity hire though. If she has any sense of decency and love for the ip, she'll leave ASAP.

Replace her with someone who actually knows what they are doing and has real experience doing that job well. Even if the candidate is a straight white make /gasp!

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...o-game-loses-top-director-after-project-delay

Second director to leave and one of countless leads to have left development partway through. Almost every lead role at 343 has been a revolving door since dev on Halo 4 began. Very little continuity.

This one actually strikes me as a loss for Halo fans. Chris always struck me as one of the more passionate people at 343, a big fan of the series. It is a wonder to me that he is leaving but other longtime 343 leaders have stayed in their roles for such a long time. I think the problems at the studio are larger than the problems on this game. The game is just shining a light on the underlying issues at the studio. There is a serious leadership problem and a lack of a cohesive vision for the franchise as a whole.

This is pretty crazy. Halo 1/2/3 were system sellers. I actually enjoyed halo 4. After that they lost their way IMHO.

Halo was their main thing. They really need to get it together.

iJudged

Banned
tenor.gif

in all honesty time to cut them lose, they have had 3 tries to get Halo right and they keep fucking it up. Give the Ip to a different studio now.
was just about to say, they should have left years ago. New team new ideas, perhaps a better game?

Dolomite

Never thought I'd say this...but I have as much hope for this game as I have interest at this point. Blows, because this could have been a Halo 3 moment to kick off the next Gen. At least Xbox as a whole is off to a better start this launch

Seriously, why hasn't 343 been dissolved? They haven't released a single good game, not once. Why people believe that giving more time to an incompetent developer is a good idea? 343 must be one of the most incompetent developers alongside RARE and Infinity Ward, working in big franchises.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
was just about to say, they should have left years ago. New team new ideas, perhaps a better game?
that or if their own studios are not of caliber, i totally would understand if they outsourced it to a studio that was capable of making a solid game for a franchise that deserves so much better

cireza

Banned
Guy is leaving after completion of the game (remaining are essentially technical adjustments, and post launch content), how can we turn this into a concern news ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom