• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite campaign can't be played right now, even if you have the disc.

Sintoid

Can the campaing be preloaded by Gamepass Ultimate users?
I'm trying but it kepps downloading the 18GB multiplayer part...

JackMcGunns

Why does it matter? A disc is a disc. Why does the exact time need to be locked?

What's the difference between data on a CD vs the same data on a USB drive, SSD or HDD?

Halo Infinite went with a Global release as opposed to a midnight released depending on your time zone.

halo_infinite_release_times_uk_gmt_cest_est_pst.jpg

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
A lot of salty desperation around here this month. I just heard that Phil Spencer doesn't sort his recycling, can we get another thread about what a heathen he is?

Nah, man. This one is fully justified. You advertise your game with a release date of December 8th and put the game on a store shelf? Either:
  1. Make it playable
  2. Don't sell it until it's playable
I wonder how many regular folks who don't post on video game forums and don't follow developer's Twitter account just casually bought the game this morning not knowing that they won't be able to play it for an entire day. Hell, I post here every day and I still bought it thinking that it will work since it's on disc and on sale in every retailer. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Thats a really shitty thing to do for a singleplayer console game. Not even Cyberpunk pulled a bait and switch like that.

I'm wondering why the physical version evem exists other than maybe just something for people to buy as a Christmas present?

It's not really pedantic. I can't think of any other big single-player game that doesn't have the full game on disc.

There was that case with the Spyro or Crash trilogy I think, but that's it.
I'm pretty sure I remember a thread where someone was pointing out Mass Effect Legendary Edition Trilogy can't be played offline with the disc until you redownload the entire game.

I'd just like to state that unless it says so on the box, requiring you to have internet to play an SP game is kinda shit. I don't care which company does it, it's always shit. No, I'm not a warrior, I'm waiting for the unlock time in my region so I can start playing!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
What's the difference between data on a CD vs the same data on a USB drive, SSD or HDD?

Halo Infinite went with a Global release as opposed to a midnight released depending on your time zone.

halo_infinite_release_times_uk_gmt_cest_est_pst.jpg

So why they advertised it all over the place (TV ads, YouTube ads, posters, online banners...) to be released on December 8th without specifying the time? Why can you buy it in physical format since this morning (10+ hours in my region) in every major retailer? And most importantly: why do you need a fucking map to understand when you can play the game? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

This is a disaster and there's no other way to look at it.

JackMcGunns

So why they advertised it all over the place (TV ads, YouTube ads, posters, online banners...) to be released on December 8th without specifying the time? Why can you buy it in physical format since this morning (10+ hours in my region) in every major retailer? And most importantly: why do you need a fucking map to understand when you can play the game? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

We don't need the map, I posted it for YOU! since you're the confused one :pie_roffles::pie_roffles:

You want this so badly to be a disaster. Sorry, but the game is out and disc copies are working. Move on

Last edited:

the_master

I am very disappointed with this. In 10 or 20 or 40 years this game will not be playable.

Also, I did buy the disc to play a bit early and was quite upset when I heard the embarassing low quality robot voice telling me I had to connect online. Then I knew (and then I was disappointed again when the game was not out yesterday but today)

This is good. Prevents spoilers.
But press being allowed to play early isn't something I like

You rather they be able to play a few days before and the whole game be fucked up? Many have had a whole month to review this. That's unprecedented for such a major release nowadays.

the_master

We don't need the map, I posted it for YOU! since you're the confused one :pie_roffles::pie_roffles:

You want this so badly to be a disaster. Sorry, but the game is out and disc copies are working. Move on
You make it sound like it is not confusing.
So someone buys the dusk, has to connect online and when he clicks campaign he can GO TO FUCKING PREORDER, with the message states that it is available december 8, so right now.
How do you think this is not confusing?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Listen. I played more Halo Infinite than most likely anyone else on this forum. 106 hours and counting. I adore this game.

How the hell do I want it to be a disaster if I specifically woke up early and went to local MediaMarkt to buy a physical copy just so I can play few hours early since my Steam pre-order won't unlock until 7pm?

The game is out and disc copies are NOT working. Learn to read. That's the issue. If you can't understand it, that's not my problem. Who's confused now?

ManaByte

Gold Member
I would imagine most people in third world counties can't pay these prices. Frankly I probably wouldn't able to justify it. It's something like 500 dollars for the equipment and the monthly price is over 100 dollars.
Then I guess they aren’t buying $500 video game consoles either.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s been known for weeks. But people in this thread are ignoring that small fact.
Oh, well that changes everything.
Good. People shouldn't be allowed to play a game before it's been officially released. It's not officially released for another 4 1/2 hours.
Moronic.

Convince us that you probably compensate of the entertainment industry, without telling us you compensate off the entertainment industry.

Because if this is FO FREE! Woosah!
The Greatest Showman Lol GIF by Sky

JackMcGunns

Listen. I played more Halo Infinite than most likely anyone else on this forum. 106 hours and counting. I adore this game.

How the hell do I want it to be a disaster if I specifically woke up early and went to local MediaMarkt to buy a physical copy just so I can play few hours early since my Steam pre-order won't unlock until 7pm?

The game is out and disc copies are NOT working. Learn to read. That's the issue. If you can't understand it, that's not my problem. Who's confused now?

Because you wrote it right here:

MidGenRefresh:

I'm not as fluent in hyperbole.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The third world would like to have a word with you

Third world is more interesting in getting food, healthcare,heating and shelter let alone videogames.
Large areas of india and africa dont have electricity, some places burn cow shit to cook food.

Last edited:
Third world is more interesting in getting food, healthcare,heating and shelter let alone videogames.
Large areas of india and africa dont have electricity, some places burn cow shit to cook food.
Okay? I'm from the third world. I game and I'm not alone in my country. My point still stands. Not everyone has Internet access in the third world but are able to play games...

cireza

Phil Spencer boast about game preservation (out of nowhere) months later drops a 60 dollar physical game with no game data on it
That's the same guy that allows you to put your 20 years old Panzer Dragoon Orta disc inside any modern Xbox and download a widescreen 4K enhanced version of the game for free.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
ITT a bunch of Americans too self-absorbed to realise nobody is getting the game "early", because the rest of the world is well into the advertised date of 8 December and retailers are honouring the advertised street date.

Sosokrates

Okay? I'm from the third world. I game and I'm not alone in my country. My point still stands. Not everyone has Internet access in the third world but are able to play games...

Yeah, modern gaming does not work well without internet, its just weird to single out halo for this problem.

MachRc

also looks like its cloud enabled so you can play at work while your home console is DL'ing.
(thats what the notification said)

edit: fetching the razor kishi from the car right nao.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
This is next level bullshit. In my 30 years of gaming I can't recall a situation where I couldn't play a game that I bought on a disc.

I preordered Halo Infinite on Steam but this morning I decided to go to my local game store and pick up physical version for Series X to start playing early. The piece of shit doesn’t work. It even prompts you to preorder campaign once you get to main menu for another 60 EUR which just adds insult to injury.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck :messenger_hushed:

This is next level bullshit. In my 30 years of gaming I can't recall a situation where I couldn't play a game that I bought on a disc.

I preordered Halo Infinite on Steam but this morning I decided to go to my local game store and pick up physical version for Series X to start playing early. The piece of shit doesn’t work. It even prompts you to preorder campaign once you get to main menu for another 60 EUR which just adds insult to injury.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck :messenger_hushed:
Most new games require a day 1 patch before playing. Most of the game is on the disc I'm sure (look and see when installing if it's all network or disk.

sn0man

Every gaming platform requires some sort of online requirement these days, so its pretty weird singleing out one game
That is not true. The PS4, PS5, and Switch all work just fine without online connections. We crap on games that have bizarre requirements all the time. There are threads for COD and others.

It's not a deal breaker or anything, but it's not great

I buy all games digital, but there's a reason why people buy on disc to this day
Thank you! This isn’t the end of the world but it is a sad state of affairs. I’ll likely consider the steam version but I also like to own physical console games. This is crappy and shouldn’t be an issue.

Imagine the day when the servers are decommissioned or MS/xbox gets bored of keeping patches for old games around? I say this an old timer who has seen a lot of online DRM systems go over the years... Like you can make the argument for services like gamepass/psnow/etc. the games expire anyway when you stop paying, so if they discontinue the service this is just part of the deal.
I am speculating but didn’t Microsoft have GFWL or whatever and they already jettisoned all those players into the ether because they couldn’t be bothered to keep it running.

Sosokrates

That is not true. The PS4, PS5, and Switch all work just fine without online connections. We crap on games that have bizarre requirements all the time. There are threads for COD and others.

Thank you! This isn’t the end of the world but it is a sad state of affairs. I’ll likely consider the steam version but I also like to own physical console games. This is crappy and shouldn’t be an issue.

I am speculating but didn’t Microsoft have GFWL or whatever and they already jettisoned all those players into the ether because they couldn’t be bothered to keep it running.

Ok... Complain away. Wont make a difference, its the direction things are going.

Top Bottom