• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite campaign can't be played right now, even if you have the disc.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Fanboys or people who have strong preferences (and think it doesn't show) will defend anything for the box they call their home. I mean, I have seen these very people make a mountain of an issue for an exclusive for the "other" system. This is not the least surprising.

I guess you're right. I payed more Halo Infinite MP than probably any other GAF member (105+ hours) and I love the game. But when I see bullshit I will call it a bullshit. And this is some serious bullshit.

Leyasu

Banned
michael jordan laughing GIF

343 most probably working on the game until yesterday. Travesty of a studio

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You guys s*cking on Phill's d*ck or something?

Not having the full game on disc is shit. Period.

Not only because you need to download the rest. But if you uninstall the game, you'll have to download it again everytime.

Maybe if you go somewhere with no internet connection and you want to play the campaign, you are fucked

It's not a deal breaker or anything, but it's not great

I buy all games digital, but there's a reason why people buy on disc to this day

They are console warriors, mate. Look at all the people defending this and their histories. Can't be any more blatant.

Would be funny if it wasn't so damn sad. Imagine trying to desperately to defend a company that doesn't know or care that you exist. Also imagine promoting and defending anti-consumer moves that produces worse products. These kiddos have no brain.

Last edited:

Rob_27

Yep I wanted to have a go in my lunch hour. But no have to wait until 6pm. So waiting on Americans to get up for 10 pst

Make it 12am in your timezone job done.

SteadyEvo

For all the people busting OPs balls, name another time when a game couldn’t be played on release day till 1pm? On top of that devs regularly send out “review copies/codes” to the cool kids of the world to play early and I guess use them as free advertising.

And for the people that bought the disc, this has to be a massive slap in the face. Hopefully this a lesson on how not to handle a release.

tmlDan

yea, so why cant we play the game till noon (est) today - such weird things going on, I have time now to play and cant

Last edited:

Helghan

For all the people busting OPs balls, name another time when a game couldn’t be played on release day till 1pm? On top of that devs regularly send out “review copies/codes” to the cool kids of the world to play early and I guess use them as free advertising.

And for the people that bought the disc, this has to be a massive slap in the face. Hopefully this a lesson on how not to handle a release.
Or just wait like the rest of us that have to wait when we buy it digitally? It's a global launch, everyone at the same time. So people don't spoil it for others.

JackMcGunns

You're the one that should be asking how it works in terms of your comparison.

Halo Infinite single player: Full game release, available on physical, a finished game, first party release, costs money

P. T. : A demo, not available on physical, not a finished game, third party release, doesn't cost any money

Here, let me help you since you need hand holding.

Someone is trying to play a copy of Halo Infinite 'before' the official release date... it doesn't work. Simple answer, the game cannot be played until December 8. Problem solved, we move on.

But no, we don't move on, lets blame corporate decisions and prolong the already answered question, why aren't people in control when they can play games? Why did some people buy a PS4 with P.T. installed on the HDD as a perk, only to find out that Sony intrusively removed them without their consent, HOLY SHIT! what can be more intrusive than that? compared to that, Halo not playing before the release is a nothing burger in terms of company's controlling their content.

ManaByte

Gold Member
He may be right about this game but I wouldn't just take his word for it — I won't go into specifics here but from my experience he tends to be a little 'manipulative' with information and how he chooses to present it.

Oh fuck right off with that bullshit. I explained the PS4 version has the full game on it and the PS5 version has the Ultimate content as a download code. The Ultimate content isn't just fighters, it's the latter half of the campaign. That's not manipulating anything.

Have you even played MK11 to know what you're attacking me over?

And what this poster is referring to is when Outriders came out the old bug where the PS5 would install the PS4 version from the disc still existed. My PS5 tried to install the PS4 version. sainraja bent over backwards to try to disprove the bug existed, even when I posted photos showing I was installing the disc version of Outriders:

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
A user can choose to apply an update or not, and as a user or owner of a disk you could always revert if you do not like the change. But you would always have what is on the disk that was purchased and available to use.

You dont get it. Its not 1985 anymore.
Games are much more complex. Devs could find a terrible bug near the end of the game after they print the disk that needs to be patched.
Let alone MP games, where theres no other way but all of the players having the same version. Theres a 1000 other reasons that can prevent that the version that came in the disk is no longer playable.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Lmao just wait like 5 hours my guy. Holy shit you sure rushed to post this before it became the last .0000001 it needed to be fully irrelevant.

take like, 5 mins off warring my guy.

The post was about preservation, not being able to wait 5 more hours.

GHG

Here, let me help you since you need hand holding.

Someone is trying to play a copy of Halo Infinite 'before' the official release date... it doesn't work. Simple answer, the game cannot be played until December 8. Problem solved, we move on.

But no, we don't move on, lets blame corporate decisions and prolong the already answered question, why aren't people in control when they can play games? Why did some people buy a PS4 with P.T. installed on the HDD as a perk, only to find out that Sony intrusively removed them without their consent, HOLY SHIT! what can be more intrusive than that? compared to that, Halo not playing before the release is a nothing burger in terms of company's controlling their content.

Konami requested PT got removed from the store you clown. And no it doesn't get removed from your hard drive without your consent, I still have mine installed on my PS4 pro which I transferred from my original PS4.

Beyond that, it's a free demo which cost nothing to anybody, Konami are within their rights to do whatever the fuck they want in terms of the status of the demo.

If you're going to try and console war at least do it right.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
79-739-007-V05.jpg

This is literally worse than most Switch download schemes.

The disc is only Mortal Kombat 11. All of the "Ultimate" content is via a download code. The PS4 version isn't like that, it has the full game on the disc. But for some baffling reason WB made the PS5 disc just MK11 and all the Ultimate stuff a code; meaning it's not possible to buy a used version of this game. It's basically an Online Pass.
Is this Sony's IP?

jakinov

Read the entire thread before you respond, please. This case is different.
Things get posted while I'm responding :p and it wasn't really a defense I was just answering a question and adding context of a trend with digital happening elsewhere.

On side note, I always imagined that eventually phyiscal would just be redemption codes in future that you can buy with cash and is traditionally giftable.

It is pedantic because internet is nearly as widespread as electricity.
It's not because if you go out of your way to buy a physical copy of a game these days it's because you don't want to have to worry about internet, DRM expiration, you want to play at the cottage, whatever reason suits you.

If they want to sell discs they should sell working discs... it's akin to net getting tires with your car because they are everywhere, well sure, but you still can't drive the car off of the lot.

JackMcGunns

Konami requested PT got removed from the store you clown. And no it doesn't get removed from your hard drive without your consent, I still have mine installed on my PS4 pro which I transferred from my original PS4.

Beyond that, it's a free demo which cost nothing to anybody, Konami are within their rights to do whatever the fuck they want in terms of the status of the demo.

If you're going to try and console war at least do it right.

The only clown here is you. The removal happened to different consoles in different regions, look it up, I think they reversed their stance, but it was widely reported at the time.

Again, you're confused on who's creating the warring here. What happened with the disc not working is pretty standard these days. Stop the straw grasping.

Hugare

you will have the opportunity to play and finish Halo today if you want, just have to wait for it to launch, like the rest of us.
Dont give a fuck about launch day

What I'm saying is that if I'm offline, at least I can install Cyberpunk from the disk and play it, as bug ridden as it may be.

Will never be able to do the same with Halo Infinite

Again, I'm almost all digital, but there are people who aren't.

If the disc is barelly functional dont even bother printing it then

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's not because if you go out of your way to buy a physical copy of a game these days it's because you don't want to have to worry about internet, DRM expiration, you want to play at the cottage, whatever reason suits you.

I have family members who lived in a cabin in a small mountain village and even they had internet.

sainraja

The only clown here is you. The removal happened to different consoles in different regions, look it up, I think they reversed their stance, but it was widely reported at the time.

Again, you're confused on who's creating the warring here. What happened with the disc not working is pretty standard these days. Stop the straw grasping.
If the release date is Dec 8 and that is what they are advertising in trailers (without the **) then it should be playable on Dec 8 regardless of what 'time' it is. Given how things are constantly changing, any change that might happen in the future towards something like this won't surprise me. lol

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
You dont get it. Its not 1985 anymore.
Games are much more complex. Devs could find a terrible bug near the end of the game after they print the disk that needs to be patched.
Let alone MP games, where theres no other way but all of the players having the same version. Theres a 1000 other reasons that can prevent that the version that came in the disk is no longer playable.

A user can have a copy, and be kept off of all online services unless they update the software. But the disk can still have an executable and fully usable codebase that represents what was offered to the consumer at the time of purchase. No matter the complexity of the game. If you are offering a single player experience, that should be able to be enjoyed in its original state by the purchaser of a piece of software. I understand in the business model, you are not purchasing SW per-se but our purchasing a license to the software and that is all the disk really is in the modern world, a license key for the the user. What I am saying is that there should be a way for a person that purchases a single player game to be able to play the game without ever connecting to the servers.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Doesnt mean an older built can't be on the disc. You know, like most publishers do?

What's burned on the disc is the gold master. Since 99% of games now have a Day 1 patch that means 99% of games in 2021 are not playable on physical media.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Hole shit people getting triggered because they can't play a few hours early, what an horrible life oh my poor players.
I'm gonna send a picture to all of you

unknown.png

Andodalf

Banned
You are grasping at straws at this point

Your family members arent everyone, dude

Is it so hard to understand that there are people out there in entirely different situations than yours that may find useful buying the damn disc?
If you have literally 0 access to the internet, meting you can’t download a one time patch, you can’t participate in modern society in like 99% of scenarios and probably have way bigger issues in life. Is probably be considered more with making sure I have running water and central heating, because those are probably slightly more rare than the internet is now.

Leyasu

Banned
Doesnt mean an older built can't be on the disc. You know, like most publishers do?
Well why ain't it?

I have been playing the MP non stop since release, and it is the best arena shooter that I have played. I will download the campaign later and play it to completion over the next few days. But they have been woefully behind on everything, and even the day one patch is not going to be there day one for some problems. As mentioned in the df article. I say it as I see it and 343 are lacking

Last edited:

Hugare

If you have literally 0 access to the internet, meting you can’t download a one time patch, you can’t participate in modern society in like 99% of scenarios and probably have way bigger issues in life. Is probably be considered more with making sure I have running water and central heating, because those are probably slightly more rare than the internet is now.
Or maybe, you know, you want to replay the campaign some months from now, but can reinstall the game because your internet is down for whatever reason at that moment

Or maybe you went on a vacation somewhere where there's internet, but it's slow as fuck and downloading +10gb will take some hours

Or maybe, like any other non insane person, you would think that having to download +10 gb everytime you want to reinstall the game can be annoying

Last edited:

LordCBH

Wait the campaign didn’t go live at midnight when the clocks rolled over to launch day? What idiot made that decision?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sir did you just assume he wasn’t a member of some undiscovered tribe in the Amazon and accessing GAF off the phone of someone they ate for dinner?

CuNi

I guess they want to make sure we all play this and get disappointed at the same time.

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of fans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

But regarding the topic, I know companies hated it that retailers sometimes sold copies way way earlier and spoilers leaked, but that's just a major dick move.

CuNi

Wait the campaign didn’t go live at midnight when the clocks rolled over to launch day? What idiot made that decision?
Not to flame you but this info literally has been known since a few days. They even posted a map with your local release time man.

GHG

You're still going? The game was not forcibly removed from anyone's console:

When reached for comment, a Konami spokesperson told Polygon in an email that “after our investigation we can confirm that there have been no Konami or PlayStation Network (PSN) update that would have affected or prevent access to the game.”

Better luck next time.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Some of these takes are hilarious. It is more than "the game you put into your machine doesn't work. . ." It is that this - as someone said previously - is clearly implementing the "always online" world that XBOX wanted with the XB1, but was ridiculed into oblivion for. HALO INFINITE is a single player game (no co-op at release remember). Why does a person who physically has the disc need to wait for an arbitrary unlock timer? This is not how "game release times" have worked before. No one who read the "global release time" for HALO INFINITE campaign realistically thought this applied to ALL SKU's of the game; release times are for digital unlocks of a game. If you have it early, the usual response is "Hey, we know people have early copies of the game - please don't spoil it for others."

. . .just crazy what behavior of a multinational media empire is allowed when someone has (for some reason) personal stake in the product on offer.

JackMcGunns

Oh you don't want to talk about it anymore?

Who is the one who is supposed to be grasping at straws again?

I guess you didn't get the message, we talked about it. Halo Infinite doesn't work because its official date is December 8 and P.T. was delisted from the store because Konami wanted it to be. The people who own the IP make these decisions, end of discussion. Nothing unusual going on here unless you're warring.

tmlDan

It’s been known for weeks. But people in this thread are ignoring that small fact.
Clearly it was poorly communicated and if the reviewers had the game a month in advance and it was gold for that long then it should be available.

it was a stupid decision, stop defending it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Release dates aren't respected anymore that's the problem. Now everyone is silver edition pre load early, harden edition 5 days early before release pre load, this is bad for gaming.

JackMcGunns

Clearly it was poorly communicated and if the reviewers had the game a month in advance and it was gold for that long then it should be available.

it was a stupid decision, stop defending it.

Ok, lets go attack. Send me the SKU number to your disc copy, I will start the complaint.

Top Bottom