• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite 2 Won't Be Happening, Says 343 Industries

Bullet Club

Halo Infinite 2 Won't Be Happening, Says 343 Industries

Don’t expect a Halo 7 – at least not through the traditional means.

Bungie, the studio that created Halo, is famously obsessed with the number seven. It is why there are seven Halo rings, for instance, and references to it can be found in many other places in both Halo and Destiny. But with 343 Industries and Microsoft now in control of Halo’s future, it seems that Bungie will never get the chance to see “Halo 7” on a store shelf. That’s because 343 is treating this holiday’s Xbox Series X flagship launch title Halo Infinite as “the start of our platform for the future.”

IGN spoke with Halo Infinite Studio Head Chris Lee ahead of today’s long-awaited gameplay reveal of Halo Infinite at the Xbox Games Showcase. During that conversation, Lee revealed that Infinite is the last standalone release for the franchise for the foreseeable future.

“Halo Infinite is the start of our platform for the future,” he said. “We want Infinite to grow over time, versus going to those numbered titles and having all that segmentation that we had before. It’s really about creating Halo Infinite as the start of the next ten years for Halo and then building that as we go with our fans and community.”

This does not mean that Halo Infinite is a live service game, a la Destiny. But it does mean that new story experiences will be told underneath Infinite’s umbrella, and it also means Infinite will be evolved technologically for quite a while. 343 confirmed that Infinite will get a free raytracing update sometime after launch. Gameplay-wise, hopefully the move to Infinite as a platform won’t mean that players are trapped on this Halo ring forever, but we’ll have to wait and see what 343 has in store for us in the Xbox Series X generation to find out.

Source: IGN

I'm looking forward to playing Halo Infinite 360.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Sounds like HaloWars 2, a game that released without an ending.

10 years with one Halo game? You know how boring and stale that's gonna get? Not to mention I don't wanna look at those graphics for 10 years...

Compsiox

Banned
I really wanted this. An ever expanding Halo game. Sounds great. After that reveal...I can't be excited for 10 years of that right now.

I'm going to play it at launch of course but they need a lot to get me excited.

Kerotan

That's the game pass future baby. GAAS from now on. There will only be 1 more new halo, Forza motorsport, Gears and fable launched.

It already got boring and stale after the first 2000 Halo entries before this one. This could be what the series needs.
You mean 5 entries and 2 spin-offs...if you thought the series was boring and stale before when they had new releases coming out now tf is playing the same game for 10 years gonna be what the series needs lol.

Kerotan

10 years with one Halo game? You know how boring and stale that's gonna get? Not to mention I don't wanna look at those graphics for 10 years...
That's the biggest issue here. Take the GAAS approach where you just keep updating the same game for a decade but for the love of God make that game mind blowing from launch. Not last gen or lockhart versions holding it back. Super disappointing.

Compsiox

Banned
This alone is really not an issue. In fact to me it's megaton. Hopefully they will show us that this is worthy of being a 10 year project.

I just wish the game didn't look the way it does.

Last edited:
Well, they say theyll be adding story content in this game and want infinite to be a platform. Im ok with that, if the core is good.

Still remains to be seen.

Compsiox

Banned
Well, they say theyll be adding story content in this game and want infinite to be a platform. Im ok with that, if the core is good.

Still remains to be seen.
Yeah it's a good idea. It's exciting. I hope we can get some better lighting at least. The game looks like it was made in Halo 5 forge right now.

Yeah it's a good idea. It's exciting. I hope we can get some better lighting at least. The game looks like it was made in Halo 5 forge right now.

True, it did lack detail. And yeah some weather effects would have totally changed the look of it.

Not sure what to think right now tbh. Part of me is super disappointed if this was indeed the best slice of game they had to show. That kind of what worries me, you tend to show the best slice at e3 to demo and this wasnt exactly a jaw dropper.

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
You mean 5 entries and 2 spin-offs...if you thought the series was boring and stale before when they had new releases coming out now tf is playing the same game for 10 years gonna be what the series needs lol.

How could having so much new content coming all the time, being shoved up your wazoo, not be what the series needs? Stop hatin'. :messenger_pensive:

Aion002

“We want Infinite to grow over time, versus going to those numbered titles and having all that segmentation that we had before. It’s really about creating Halo Infinite as the start of the next ten years for Halo and then building that as we go with our fans and community.”

I knew it!

However... I never expected that they would just get Halo 4, put in a open world at 60 fps and add a grappling hook and call it a day...

ZehDon

...and it also means Infinite will be evolved technologically for quite a while. 343 confirmed that Infinite will get a free raytracing update sometime after launch...
You have got to kidding me...

If I were Microsoft, I'd be getting that update on the gold disc no matter what it costs.

How could having so much new content coming all the time, being shoved up your wazoo, not be what the series needs? Stop hatin'. :messenger_pensive:
You don't even know what kind of content or how often it will be coming lol.

Halo 5 multiplayer had new content coming and Halo players are dying to move on from that and go to Halo Infinite after only 5 years, after only half the time. Anyone can see this is gonna get boring after 10 years.

This does not mean that Halo Infinite is a live service game, a la Destiny. But it does mean that new story experiences will be told underneath Infinite’s umbrella, and it also means Infinite will be evolved technologically for quite a while

"This doesn't mean that Halo Infinite is a live service game. But it is."

It looks like total dogshit. How are they gonna update this crap for years?

Then they add insult to injury and start sprinting during the stream.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
You don't even know what kind of content or how often it will be coming lol.

Halo 5 multiplayer had new content coming and Halo players are dying to move on from that and go to Halo Infinite after only 5 years, after only half the time. Anyone can see this is gonna get boring after 10 years.
You sound as if you have no faith in 343 to bring the players quality in a timely fashion. Problem is this isn't Halo 5 Multi. Look at some of the new features they put in this game in the demo. Bigger world, new way to transverse said world. Gunplay never been better. Yeah, I am not seeing how this is going to get boring at all. Maybe you just need to keep an open mind.

You sound as if you have no faith in 343 to bring the players quality in a timely fashion. Problem is this isn't Halo 5 Multi. Look at some of the new features they put in this game in the demo. Bigger world, new way to transverse said world. Gunplay never been better. Yeah, I am not seeing how this is going to get boring at all. Maybe you just need to keep an open mind.
I never said it was Halo 5 multiplayer...I was using the closest example to make a point...also I want you to tell me in depth how the gunplay in that demo was better than any previous Halo game? Everything you've been saying is useless assumptions, were gonna get content up the wazoo, the gunplay has never looked better, explain to a lifelong Halo fan in depth how this looks like the best gunplay in the series.

Compsiox

Banned
True, it did lack detail. And yeah some weather effects would have totally changed the look of it.

Not sure what to think right now tbh. Part of me is super disappointed if this was indeed the best slice of game they had to show. That kind of what worries me, you tend to show the best slice at e3 to demo and this wasnt exactly a jaw dropper.
I thought about this a bit and honestly the devs were probably blinded by their own accomplishments. They probably thought we'd be impressed or in awe just seeing an open world Halo in a new engine so they didn't feel the need to add more spice to the demo.

Reindeer

Is it possible Microsoft is taking the franchise and giving it to another developer? That could explain why 343 are not committing to another entry.

Compsiox

Banned
Is it possible Microsoft is taking the franchise and giving it to another developer? That could explain why 343 are not committing to another entry.
What? Halo Infinite. The title tells us what they've been planning. 10 years of content updates for story and multiplayer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wait... I hadn't been paying attention. Are they making this into a Destiny-like game or something?

giphy.gif

Reindeer

What? Halo Infinite. The title tells us what they've been planning. 10 years of content updates for story and multiplayer.
That doesn't mean that another dev cannot make another game while 343 supports this one for a long time. Also, if people don't support the game then that 10 year plan can quickly go out the window.

Compsiox

Banned
That doesn't mean that another dev cannot make another game while 343 supports this one for a long time. Also, if people don't support the game then that 10 year plan can quickly go out the window.
As of now this is the plan. 10 years of Halo Infinite. Building on the foundation.

Top Bottom