• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo iconic announcer Jeff Steitzer speaks out in support of trans players

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidGzz

Nothing wrong with what he said. Of course, Bo_Hazem would be the one to give a laughing emoji to anything positive related to MS.

Ah, he does do it every single time. I didn't even think about it being because of MS. Maybe have some tact depending on the thread instead of being a mindless bot.

Casanova

Step 1. Pay a celebrity to do a cameo message supporting your cause
Step 2. Proudly announce to the world how celebrity is pro your cause
Step 3. ??
Uhm, pretty sure he wouldn't have done it for a quick $50 if he didn't actually believe in what he was saying. Good try, though.
Cbs Ok GIF by Paramount+

Bonus. Captain Toad can be next. Another useless poster. Good way to weed them out, Gaf.
Don't worry about it mate.

People laugh at each others posts all the time. Don't look too much into post reactions.

I am pretty juicy, I can see how I can be seen as a one man army. Hnnnng
Nah not juicy enough. Well at least not as juicy as kyliethicc kyliethicc 😉

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Oh, he would be publically lynched to death and he would get fired from his job as well as disowned from every work he ever had, and his voice would be ripped out of the game in 3 seconds and he and his family would get death threats and Halo would forever be known as an anti-trans franchise.

And that's not an exaggeration, that's a likely scenario.

I'm not saying he was wrong, I think he was right, it's a good cause, but there certainly are some underlying things going here too.
Remember Kids. Internet is the place for Idiots. Never share your opinion there, or you will be ripped part. Even if you were correct. Stupid people exist on the internet, and you have no idea who they are.

carlosrox

Banned
You can mean what you say, say a good thing thing, and still be kinda virtue signal-y about it.

It's a good message but it still kind of comes off as "Look everybody, look how good I am!".

What I find fucking weak is putting this guy on the spot to get him to say something Trans positive or else.

Maybe I should DM some random actor from a game and be like HEY MAN GIVE ME I SUPPORT ANIMAL RIGHTS, GAYS, BLACKS, ETC. TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK.

Fuck off with that shit.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's cool. There's nothing to be "suspicious" about here. There's a very big difference between supporting trans rights (which all reasonable people should do) and going full Era.

Last edited:

Arsic

Gold Member
Someone show him Jimquisition videos from the last few uploads.

Some of these people who rally for and pump up Trans rights are coo coo for cocopuffs. I'm all for Trans rights but the loud people who come to the forefront to champion it are some interesting individuals.

Last edited:
The Black and trans comparison is in ill-taste and people continue to do it mindlessly without understanding the damage it causes.

Also this is a political thread, but I guess this doesn't count?

Last edited:

Casanova

You can mean what you say, say a good thing thing, and still be kinda virtue signal-y about it.

It's a good message but it still kind of comes off as "Look everybody, look how good I am!".

What I find fucking weak is putting this guy on the spot to get him to say something Trans positive or else.

Maybe I should DM some random actor from a game and be like HEY MAN GIVE ME I SUPPORT ANIMAL RIGHTS, GAYS, BLACKS, ETC. TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK.

Fuck off with that shit.
No one needs to filter themselves because you think it comes off as virtue-seeking or "weak". Even if it is virtue-seeking, it's a positive and affirming message, so who the fuck cares? Who is this hurting and why should they "fuck off" just because of the way someone outside of the trans-community might perceive messages like this. The reason why he agreed to it is because it's not damaging anyone, took little to zero effort, and helps build inclusion in the community. He would not have been "dragged" or "cancelled" if he didn't say it - he's just not willing to filter his own views because someone on the internet might perceive it as virtue-seeking without even fucking knowing the guy. Hell, even if he was paid $50, he wouldn't have done it for 50 bucks if it didn't align with his already held views. It's $50 bucks...

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
They are going to reveal the gender of Master Chief soon, I say it now.

carlosrox

Banned
Who is this hurting and why should they "fuck off" just because of the way someone outside of the trans-community might perceive messages like this.

By "they" (fucking off) I meant the person who messaged this guy into pressuring him into giving a message like this, I thought that was clear.

It's very much "share a message of support or else" thinly veiled threat.

Clearly you're an optimist if you think they would have just let it go if he refused for whatever reason.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'm sure he feels that way. But there's a what if scenario where he's also like, "Sure, whatever kid. Just give me my money."

There’s genuine trans people….and there are people that use it as some sort of social status or platform to spew crap from under the protection of trans rights..similar to antifa/blm/#metoo….they are all the same machine.

I feel for genuine trans people as the other type make you all look like idiots

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

This is a statement unbound by logic and reason. How can something not 'need' anymore support? That's ignorant of the problems that permeate the LGBT community, such as conversion camps, familial and communal ostracization, hate crimes, insufficient media representation, criminalization, and so forth.

It's still illegal to change your gender in 47 UN member states, and there are 13 countries that specifically criminalize transgender people, that being Brunei, the Gambia, Indonesia, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malawi, Malaysia, Nigeria, Oman, South Sudan, Tonga, and the United Arab Emirates. In these countries exist downtrodden transgender people who have to deal with the cultural vices of the very places they call home, and literal dehumanization from the bigoted peers they have no option but to bear with day-in and day-out; it is important that we continue to incessantly verbalize our support for these lot because it gives these people the strength to soldier on with their days and not succumb to hate and discrimination.

A movement doesn't just not "need" support anymore. The fight is continuous. If you simply stop, then as soon as complacency settles in, you'll find yourself with an opposition that's hard at work in undermining the very thing we all fought to instill, and the rug of tolerance will be unwittingly swept from under our feet. The same goes for free speech, net neutrality, what have you.

Here are some troubling statistics concerning the LGBT and their situations - even go digging through the sources, if you will. Just because a few companies put out some rainbow flags on their Twitter accounts and lecture a few meaningless platitudes doesn't mean the fight is necessarily over.

What a bad faith argument and an utter strawman. In a 2015 survey of nearly 28,000 people conducted by the U.S.-based National Center for Transgender Equality, only 8 percent of respondents reported detransitioning, and 62 percent of those people said they only detransitioned temporarily. The most common reason for detransitioning, according to the survey, was pressure from a parent, while only 0.4 percent of respondents said they detransitioned after realizing transitioning wasn’t right for them. A mere 0.4%.

The results of a 50-year survey published in 2010 of a cohort of 767 transgender people in Sweden found that about 2 percent of participants expressed regret after undergoing gender-affirming surgery. Strikingly far from the majority.

The numbers are even lower for nonsurgical transition methods, like taking puberty blockers. According to a 2018 study of a cohort of transgender young adults at the largest gender-identity clinic in the Netherlands, 1.9 percent of adolescents who started puberty suppressants did not go on to pursue hormone therapy, typically the next step in the transition process. Again, a strikingly low figure

The idea that transition regret is an issue that warrants any sort of public outrage and social activism is, quite frankly, a consequence of willfully ignorant and transphobic media coverage, and not anything predicated on truth and reason.

A 'better' chance? They had no chance in the first place. China is literally beholden to HK as per their handover treaty with Britain, so any setback is merely a delay of the inevitable. No amount of public outrage was going to stop China from literally instilling CCP loyalists from the mainland into Hong Kong and imploding them from the inside. A boycott of China is just a fantasy begotten by pure naivete; the whole world relies on China far too much, and contracts are already in place. They can't just up and violate these contracts, even in the unfortunate face of clear-cut tyranny.

That's a horrible dictum to live by. People have changed and continue to change every day. Even so, it's important we set forth a good message so that the impressionable and ill-defined minds of children absorb the right ideals.

Except those three players received widespread public support and even murals in their favor. These public displays of solidarity are important because it's not just those players that receive support, but all the black people that feel ashamed of themselves after all the abhorrent racism that occurred post-match. Of course you won't stop racism - it's impossible! The fight is continuous and unending, and we have to keep it up and dare not to wallow in complacency, or shit is going to get out of control.

Agree to disagree. And theres no point arguing about it. We believe in different things.

At the end of the day thinking you can change your sex is delusional lol. You cant compare it to racism or people being oppressed by their government.

Trans people get enough support from changing phrases lile breadt feeding to chest feeding so they dont get offended to bein allowed to compete with biological females ( unfair )

Also its a hate crime in England to say trans women are delusional to think they can get pregnant or have periods ( which they are lol )
Anyway, we stand for different things and thats cool

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Nice - do people have an issue with this?

People have an issue with the blatantly obvious being said. What's next? Is Cliffy B going to say the sky is blue? Is Hideo Miyazaki going to say the earth is round? Is Kojima going to say vaccines don't cause autism? Since when are we celebrating common knowledge?

This isn't news, nor is it anything to be celebrated. The LGBT+ are not some victimized group anymore and they haven't been for years. This is nothing more than a waste of breath done only to gain attention, nothing more.

People have an issue with the blatantly obvious being said. What's next? Is Cliffy B going to say the sky is blue? Is Hideo Miyazaki going to say the earth is round? Is Kojima going to say vaccines don't cause autism? Since when are we celebrating common knowledge?

This isn't news, nor is it anything to be celebrated. The LGBT+ are not some victimized group anymore and they haven't been for years. This is nothing more than a waste of breath done only to gain attention, nothing more.
Trans people are certainly victimized - maybe not in the public sphere but I believe it’s still pretty dangerous to be a trans person in like some small town. I don’t think it’s necessarily newsworthy or really a gaming topic but I think it’s nice. Im sure it is deeply difficult to be trans on your mental health so maybe it’ll help someone

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Trans people are certainly victimized - maybe not in the public sphere but I believe it’s still pretty dangerous to be a trans person in like some small town. I don’t think it’s necessarily newsworthy or really a gaming topic but I think it’s nice. Im sure it is deeply difficult to be trans on your mental health so maybe it’ll help someone

Lived in various small towns all my life across the bible belt. Your "beliefs" don't match up with reality. Outside of a handful of dicks, almost no one gives a flying fuck whether you are trans, gay, bi, ace, etc.

And if the words of some random ass actor, who literally got paid to state this, somehow helps their mental well being - then that just shows that they need severe psychiatric help and it has nothing to do with whether they are trans or not.

I would highly suggest you go outside and face reality instead of relying on what social media tells you.

Lived in various small towns all my life across the bible belt. Your "beliefs" don't match up with reality. Outside of a handful of dicks, almost no one gives a flying fuck whether you are trans, gay, bi, ace, etc.

And if the words of some random ass actor, who literally got paid to state this, somehow helps their mental well being - then that just shows that they need severe psychiatric help and it has nothing to do with whether they are trans or not.

I would highly suggest you go outside and face reality instead of relying on what social media tells you.
I rely on what trans people have told me - I’ve known many I live in NYC

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I rely on what trans people have told me - I’ve known many I live in NYC

Oh shit, is New York City considered "some small town" now? So someone in NYC totally knows the ins and outs of small town life, right? Enough to immediately believe what they have to say and assume it is "dangerous"? At least keep your stories straight. Though you do bring some good comedy fodder to the thread.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I mean, good for him and good for them. No one in the world should ever be anything less than comfortable being who they are, whatever that entails. Don't see why this message is either groundbreaking or controversial. People shouldn't be shitty to other people. I learned this in my single digit years of life. We should stick this in that uninsightful trashfire thread.

carlosrox

Banned
Nice - do people have an issue with this?

Depends what you mean by "this". And different people have different opinions on this.

I think most people agree the message is actually a good one, but it's sort of stating the obvious. Mostly everyone normal will say everybody deserves equal treatment, it's not really that brave to say something like this.

It's like bragging on social media that you gave a homeless person money or helped an old lady cross the street.

Most people here probably agree with what he said.

I can't speak for anyone else but I already posted my opinion that the person that put this guy up to this didn't leave him too much of an option unless he wants to look like an asshole. I kinda respect that he went above and beyond actually but then he was also put on the spot and it looks good on him to make a statement like this so how do we really know it's genuine?

I believe it's genuine cuz again he coulda just phoned in his response instead of saying more so again my only problem with this is the person being like "please say something nice, I totally won't judge you or tell anyone else if you refuse".

But whatever, it's not really a big deal either way. I assume he was being genuine, no reason to think otherwise. I'm not really gonna throw a parade for the guy for stating what's obvious to most decent people.

Depends what you mean by "this". And different people have different opinions on this.

I think most people agree the message is actually a good one, but it's sort of stating the obvious. Mostly everyone normal will say everybody deserves equal treatment, it's not really that brave to say something like this.

It's like bragging on social media that you gave a homeless person money or helped an old lady cross the street.

Most people here probably agree with what he said.

I can't speak for anyone else but I already posted my opinion that the person that put this guy up to this didn't leave him too much of an option unless he wants to look like an asshole. I kinda respect that he went above and beyond actually but then he was also put on the spot and it looks good on him to make a statement like this so how do we really know it's genuine?

I believe it's genuine cuz again he coulda just phoned in his response instead of saying more so again my only problem with this is the person being like "please say something nice, I totally won't judge you or tell anyone else if you refuse".

But whatever, it's not really a big deal either way. I assume he was being genuine, no reason to think otherwise. I'm not really gonna throw a parade for the guy for stating what's obvious to most decent people.
I don't see many people saying that what he said is controversial but is it honestly so bad for him to make a short video giving comfort and recognition to trans people when it was a fan who requested it?

I imagine the tans people who are fans of Halo were very delighted to see him post this. At the end of the day, it's a positive thing and a win-win. All around positivity for Halo and its fans.

Oh shit, is New York City considered "some small town" now? So someone in NYC totally knows the ins and outs of small town life, right? Enough to immediately believe what they have to say and assume it is "dangerous"? At least keep your stories straight. Though you do bring some good comedy fodder to the thread.
No I’m saying their stories to me about growing up in small towns? If that wasn’t clear

UnNamed

Banned
The reply from Jeff is thoughful, but the request from that guy is very idiotic IMHO.
Say "trans right" is meaningless, don't solve anything, it's not even a start point.
This sound as a typical argument from keyboard activists, who address problems but they dont want to solve any of them, they just want to sound nice instead of being righteous.
Because of this, Jeff's reply is more than a silly phrase, it is very smart. Imagine him saying "no" at this request with an articulated response. People would reduce his words as "transphobic".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom