• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo iconic announcer Jeff Steitzer speaks out in support of trans players

Status
Not open for further replies.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Jeff Steitzer, who has been the announcer in all seven main Halo games and will be returning for Halo Infinite, was asked to simply say “trans rights” in the announcer voice by a customer on celebrity personalised message site Cameo.

Instead, Steitzer recorded a two-minute message in which he discussed his feelings on trans rights in detail.

“Normally what I would do in one of these videos for Cameo would be a recording of some of the things I’ve said over the years in the game – stuff like ‘double kill’, ‘triple kill’, ‘killing spree’, ‘slayer’,” Steitzer said to the customer, “but in your case, I think this is going to be a different kind of recording.

“I have to say, I’ve been around for a while, I’m kind of old. I’m going to be 70 this coming November and I’ve seen an awful lot, and the struggle of trans people reminds me so much of all the other struggles I’ve been a witness to over the many years that I have been alive.

“I’ve watched the Black Americans’ struggle, the Asian Americans, the Hispanic individuals, I’ve seen gays and lesbians, and Native Americans… and now I see trans folks like yourself who basically want nothing more than to enjoy the equality that everybody else aspires to, and which I for one think you should have.”

Steitzer then stated: “So, I am happy to say ‘trans rights'”, adopting the Halo announcer voice as he did.

“I hope things will be better for you – for all of us really – soon, and I’d like to say in conclusion to all of the trans people, all your friends and to you, you are all un-freaking-believable. Be well.”

Concern

Ngapa Reaction GIF

Why is this even news? We know how it goes if he declines lol.

Bragr

Banned
Ngapa Reaction GIF

Why is this even news? We know how it goes if he declines lol.

Oh, he would be publically lynched to death and he would get fired from his job as well as disowned from every work he ever had, and his voice would be ripped out of the game in 3 seconds and he and his family would get death threats and Halo would forever be known as an anti-trans franchise.

And that's not an exaggeration, that's a likely scenario.

I'm not saying he was wrong, I think he was right, it's a good cause, but there certainly are some underlying things going here too.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

This makes me think how some of the announcer sounds in UT sound like gay slang:

"ROCKET SCIENTIST!"
"SHAFFFFFT MASTER!"
"COMBO KING!"

Anyway, he's seems like a good guy and I presume he was actually paid for this virtue signal since its on Cameo, he's laughing all the way to the bank!

If anyone wants to pay me £100 to say "trans rights are human rights" I will do it until my voice is hoarse.

Thabass

I'm sure he really means what he says, but it would have been great if he wasn't paid to say it.

Great message and all, but kind of shallow when he's paid to say it.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
To be fair to him he could have just taken the money, said the paid for phrases, and moved on. He said what he wanted to say - you can’t give him shit for that.

It’s not news, but it’s also not a situation where he was backed into a corner under threat of being fired. He’s a nice old man that has seen some stuff and sees parallels.

I’d rather hear about nice old people sharing their wisdom than grumpy old fuckers who can’t wait to die

Thabass

To be fair to him he could have just taken the money, said the paid for phrases, and moved on. He said what he wanted to say - you can’t give him shit for that.

It’s not news, but it’s also not a situation where he was backed into a corner under threat of being fired. He’s a nice old man that has seen some stuff and sees parallels.

I’d rather hear about nice old people sharing their wisdom than grumpy old fuckers who can’t wait to die
I'd argue that, while his message is definitely sincere, you can criticize the fact that he was paid to say it. Even if he means it 100%, there's still an air of him having been paid to say such a thing.

I don't have much of a problem with it, but it's still kinda sad he was paid to say it at all.

Kokoloko85

If only 'Trans Rights' were just that and not an attempt by radicals to re-write biology.

This.
I got kicked out of a reddit group for asking for some evidence to how biological women can compete with biological men in sports like track and field, weight lifting and combat sports etc.

I provided evidence to how testoterone blockers don’t matter after 30+ years of being a man and trans women shouldn’t compete against biological women and that its unfair.

Got called an asshole lol

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'd argue that, while his message is definitely sincere, you can criticize the fact that he was paid to say it. Even if he means it 100%, there's still an air of him having been paid to say such a thing.

I don't have much of a problem with it, but it's still kinda sad he was paid to say it at all.
You could also say that if he didn’t want to say it, he could have just fulfilled his obligation because there was no monetary gain. If it hadn’t been tweeted (and then replied to by Xbox) it would have gone unseen forever

why the constant special treatment though? yeah cool if people want to be trans/gay/lesbian or whatever. who gives a shit? all people are the same to me. if you treat me with respect, i will treat you the same way. doesnt matter what colour, nationality, ethnicity or your sexual preferences are. i dont give a damn about any of that. thats your personal choice and life.

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
How about the rights of people dying in Hong Kong or Iran by there actual oppressive governments…Literally this week
There's no use sending your thoughts and prayers to the people of Hong Kong because they've, sadly, already lost their fight; the CCP has effectively taken control of their government. And while whatever going on in Iran right now may be more immediately relevant, the dude was requested to say 'trans rights,' not anything else. Why the strawman? :messenger_neutral:

Kholinar

Banned
why the constant special treatment though? yeah cool if people want to be trans/gay/lesbian or whatever. who gives a shit? all people are the same to me. if you treat me with respect, i will treat you the same way. doesnt matter what colour, nationality, ethnicity or your sexual preferences are. i dont give a damn about any of that. thats your personal choice and life.
Because voicing your support, however small it may be, helps contribute to favorable transgender representation and perception. Just because you're tolerant doesn't mean everyone else is, bruh.

Kokoloko85

There's no use sending your thoughts and prayers to the people of Hong Kong because they've, sadly, already lost their fight; the CCP has effectively taken control of their government. And while whatever going on in Iran right now may be more immediately relevant, the dude was requested to say 'trans rights,' not anything else. Why the strawman? :messenger_neutral:

Because Trans rights don’t really need anymore support right now. They have support everywhere. More awareness is probably needed for the messages of the trans people who regret transitioning early. Its not all awesome after they transition. It doesnt solve alot of the issues they felt before hand.

If people in the industry did talk about Honk Kong they would of had a better chance of surviving. And more awareness is needed.
If companies boycotted products that support China, those companies would think twice about supporting China. Money talks

Last edited:
Because voicing your support, however small it may be, helps contribute to favorable transgender representation and perception. Just because you're tolerant doesn't mean everyone else is, bruh.

if people are intolerant they will most like stay that way. it takes alot more than few people coming out in support to sway their minds. haters will hate. you have to learn to ignore them.

look at football for example. no amount of players speaking out against racism has stopped racism. its still there and will always be there. look what happened to the 3 black english players who missed thier penalty kicks in the euro finals. look at history too. humans have always been hating and killing eachother.

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
Because Trans rights don’t really need anymore support right now. They have support everywhere.
This is a statement unbound by logic and reason. How can something not 'need' anymore support? That's ignorant of the problems that permeate the LGBT community, such as conversion camps, familial and communal ostracization, hate crimes, insufficient media representation, criminalization, and so forth.

It's still illegal to change your gender in 47 UN member states, and there are 13 countries that specifically criminalize transgender people, that being Brunei, the Gambia, Indonesia, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malawi, Malaysia, Nigeria, Oman, South Sudan, Tonga, and the United Arab Emirates. In these countries exist downtrodden transgender people who have to deal with the cultural vices of the very places they call home, and literal dehumanization from the bigoted peers they have no option but to bear with day-in and day-out; it is important that we continue to incessantly verbalize our support for these lot because it gives these people the strength to soldier on with their days and not succumb to hate and discrimination.

A movement doesn't just not "need" support anymore. The fight is continuous. If you simply stop, then as soon as complacency settles in, you'll find yourself with an opposition that's hard at work in undermining the very thing we all fought to instill, and the rug of tolerance will be unwittingly swept from under our feet. The same goes for free speech, net neutrality, what have you.

Here are some troubling statistics concerning the LGBT and their situations - even go digging through the sources, if you will. Just because a few companies put out some rainbow flags on their Twitter accounts and lecture a few meaningless platitudes doesn't mean the fight is necessarily over.
More awareness is probably needed for the messages of the trans people who regret transitioning early. Its not all awesome after they transition. It doesnt solve alot of the issues they felt before hand.
What a bad faith argument and an utter strawman. In a 2015 survey of nearly 28,000 people conducted by the U.S.-based National Center for Transgender Equality, only 8 percent of respondents reported detransitioning, and 62 percent of those people said they only detransitioned temporarily. The most common reason for detransitioning, according to the survey, was pressure from a parent, while only 0.4 percent of respondents said they detransitioned after realizing transitioning wasn’t right for them. A mere 0.4%.

The results of a 50-year survey published in 2010 of a cohort of 767 transgender people in Sweden found that about 2 percent of participants expressed regret after undergoing gender-affirming surgery. Strikingly far from the majority.

The numbers are even lower for nonsurgical transition methods, like taking puberty blockers. According to a 2018 study of a cohort of transgender young adults at the largest gender-identity clinic in the Netherlands, 1.9 percent of adolescents who started puberty suppressants did not go on to pursue hormone therapy, typically the next step in the transition process. Again, a strikingly low figure

The idea that transition regret is an issue that warrants any sort of public outrage and social activism is, quite frankly, a consequence of willfully ignorant and transphobic media coverage, and not anything predicated on truth and reason.

If people in the industry did talk about Honk Kong they would of had a better chance of surviving. And more awareness is needed.
If companies boycotted products that support China, those companies would think twice about supporting China. Money talks
A 'better' chance? They had no chance in the first place. China is literally beholden to HK as per their handover treaty with Britain, so any setback is merely a delay of the inevitable. No amount of public outrage was going to stop China from literally instilling CCP loyalists from the mainland into Hong Kong and imploding them from the inside. A boycott of China is just a fantasy begotten by pure naivete; the whole world relies on China far too much, and contracts are already in place. They can't just up and violate these contracts, even in the unfortunate face of clear-cut tyranny.

if people are intolerant they will most like stay that way. it takes alot more than few people coming out in support to sway their minds. haters will hate. you have to learn to ignore them.
That's a horrible dictum to live by. People have changed and continue to change every day. Even so, it's important we set forth a good message so that the impressionable and ill-defined minds of children absorb the right ideals.

ook at football for example. no amount of players speaking out against racism has stopped racism. its still there and will always be there. look what happened to the 3 black english players who missed thier penalty kicks in the euro finals. look at history too. humans have always been hating and killing eachother.
Except those three players received widespread public support and even murals in their favor. These public displays of solidarity are important because it's not just those players that receive support, but all the black people that feel ashamed of themselves after all the abhorrent racism that occurred post-match. Of course you won't stop racism - it's impossible! The fight is continuous and unending, and we have to keep it up and dare not to wallow in complacency, or shit is going to get out of control.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom