• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Review Thread

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Empirically 5/10 is average.

This is why numbered scores are rubbish. People shouldn't be considering what these scales are that's empirical.

6/10 does seem harsh for what I've played of H5 though but that's s different point.

Empirically?

Do you even understand what empirical means?

Empirical means that if you take all the publications with a 10 point grading scale and you average them, you get a 5. It clearly isn't.

How does one discredit opinions with their own opinions?

The biggest problem with Halo 5’s campaign is that it doesn’t feel like a Halo game. In prioritising 60fps above all else, upping the movement speed, and generally offering more options to boost and vault through the world, it doesn’t feel like Halo out of the gate. Throw aiming down sights (ADS) in the mix -- an option that I still find weird to use in the Halo space after more than 20 hours of playing -- and a lack of sandbox encounters, and this is the least Halo feeling game, to date.

All of this is factually wrong.

Hoo-doo

Banned
All of this is factually wrong.

Do you even know what the word factually means?
The reviewer doesn't need to add 'IMO' in every sentence to warn you that he's giving his opinion. It's a review, it's opinion from start to finish.

There is nothing factually wrong about what he wrote there. Please share some of your own facts that prove otherwise.

What's factually wrong about that? That the game didn't feel like Halo? That's his opinion. ADS is in there and it is pretty strange to have it in a Halo game for all weapons. Also he says a lack of sandbox encounters which doesn't mean it's absent of them.

It's the most Halo-ass halo game since 3 in terms of sandbox. I swear a ton of reviewers just charged through the game on normal thinking that was the only option when practically every other encounter is a sieve with loads of alternate paths and tactical options. The "ADS" feels exactly like the zoom of old, and the movement speed isn't at all detrimental to the game feel and TTK.

To reiterate, it is factually wrong to state there is a lack of sandbox encounters, and that the "ADS" is so drastically different from ye olde zoom.

OFC, you would know this if you played the game and spent more than the bare minimum amount of time with it.

It's the most Halo-ass halo game since 3 in terms of sandbox. I swear a ton of reviewers just charged through the game on normal thinking that was the only option when practically every other encounter is a sieve with loads of alternate paths and tactical options. The "ADS" feels exactly like the zoom of old, and the movement speed isn't at all detrimental to the game feel and TTK.

To reiterate, it is factually wrong to state there is a lack of sandbox encounters, and that the "ADS" is so drastically different from ye olde zoom.

OFC, you would know this if you played the game and spent more than the bare minimum amount of time with it.

His opinion was that it wasn't. Hell, I love the game (multi-player) and even I could only take so much of the single-player. This trying to break down reviews that differ from your opinion has got to stop.

His opinion was that it wasn't. Hell, I love the game (multi-player) and even I could only take so much of the single-player. This trying to break down reviews that differ from your opinion has got to stop.

Sandbox encounters existing or not is pretty objective IMO. The game is factually chalk full of them.

I've played the game up to Mission 12. Halo 1, 2, 3, Reach, and even 4 all have bigger Sandbox moments then this game has. This game hardly blends vehicle and infantry combat like those games did. They give you open spaces here, but not like the other Halo's did. He's completely right about that. Unless Mission 13-15 bring about some expansive levels like The Silent Cartographer, The Great Journey, The Ark then I have to agree with the author.

leeh

Sandbox encounters existing or not is pretty objective IMO. The game is factually chalk full of them.
I'm totally with you on that, I was expecting a lot of corridors inside ships and were pleasantly surprised that literally every environment is varied in structure and is very open.

I wouldn't say the review is factually wrong, I'd say the review and reviewer is ignorant.

Like ADS is just cosmetic, so just don't fucking use it, it doesn't matter. If anything, it flows much better using ADS rather than a image overlay of a scope.

I've played the game up to Mission 12. Halo 1, 2, 3, Reach, and even 4 all have Sandbox moments then this game has. This game hardly blends vehicle and infantry combat like those games did. They give you open spaces here, but not like the other Halo's did. He's completely right about that. Unless Mission 13-15 bring about some expansive levels like The Silent Cartographer, The Great Journey, The Ark then I have to agree with the author.

The size of the spaces is generally smaller yes, but the density of the sandbox is much higher than its ever been.

Sorry to bump, but just thought I'd post November reviews.

GameProGermany - 9/10
Polygon - 9/10
Digital Chumps - 9/10
Impulse Gamer - 9/10
Worth Playing - 8.9/10
GamesVillage - 8.7/10
Gameplanet - 8.5/10
Kill Screen - 8.3/10
4Players - 8.3/10
Games - 8/10
Yahoo Games - 8/10
Twinfinite - 8/10