• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life Ray Tracing RTX | Quick Teaser [HLRTX]

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

[This conversion done by me. It's a fan made project]

After working in a long time period, best FPS ever made, Half-Life, is now powered by real time ray tracing technology. This video is more about how Half-Life could been with ray tracing.

This is a quick footage and not an actual product. This video is not sponsored by NVIDIA.

Conversion done by me. I took assets from Half-Life and converted to Quake 2 format. This project took around 3-4 months since i don't know much about Quake modding. Even though Quake and Half-Life is similar, few things work quite different than Half-Life.

But anyway after many pizzas, sickness and sleepless days Half-Life RTX is finally here. I hope you like it!

P.S : I don't have plans to release it since it's not in playable stage.

Why hand and gun looks like it made out of obsidian or some kind of glass material?

This reminds me of those "realistic GTA" mods where they just make the ground wet LOL

Paasei

Looks like everything is just wet.

It's the same as with those Unreal Engine demo's of older games. They look very pretty indeed, but somehow lack any soul.

GymWolf

Oh wow an old game with nice reflections.

Nvidia has to stop with these useless bullshit to push rtx and concentrate on the 3000 series...

Tesseract

Banned
rad still looks better because there's significantly more passes in the bnp

you'd have to do a lot of correcting in hammer to get the image where it needs to be, the env light isn't enough

quake 2 has the same problem

a couple mappers and a few months of work could get this looking really nice tho, especially if you had access to vmfs

Last edited:
I just hearted for the music alone.

Tech looks cool, not sure if the premium cost is worth it at the moment? But I fully support the real-time effects the RTX stuff can possibly do in the future.

Orta

Banned
Someone should knock up a ray traced island level from Far Cry 1 for some real eye candy.

Last edited:

Strider311

I know this is probably just me, but it is only in these older games that I can even tell the difference between RTX on and off.

This is coming from someone with two RTX 2080’s NVlinked together. I hardly notice it in newer stuff, and I really don’t see it as some sort of revelatory next step in graphics.

Personally I think I prefer the tricks and gimmicks devs have been able to pull off to simulate these sorts of things, as opposed to taking a performance hit. Just my opinion. It is cool to see it in older games though.

n0razi

This reminds me of when they added HDR to HL2 (Lost Coast)

hl2hdrcomparison.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
Although there’s been some work on the game as well, it’s interesting how much proper lighting can transform absolutely ancient visuals.

Some of those scenes look surprisingly realistic for being based on tech before some Neogaffers were even alive.

Last edited:
Lol RTX is such a touchy subject for everyone, which is crazy. If you can't tell the huge lighting differences then you are lying or extremely unobservant. Sure, the overly glossy look in some areas isn't great, but it's a demonstration.

Can't wait to see Half Life 2 with this or Halo when it comes to PC...

Strider311

Lol RTX is such a touchy subject for everyone, which is crazy. If you can't tell the huge lighting differences then you are lying or extremely unobservant. Sure, the overly glossy look in some areas isn't great, but it's a demonstration.

Can't wait to see Half Life 2 with this or Halo when it comes to PC...
Are you telling me you can really see a difference in a game like BFV?
baAwEEU.jpg

Again, I say this as someone with not one but TWO RTX2080’s. I am invested in it and have no reason to lie or downplay its benefits. I honestly just only notice it in a handful of cases.

Top Bottom