• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life: Opposing Force - An Updated Review

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Half-Life: Opposing Force is an expansion pack for Valve's science fiction first-person shooter video game Half-Life. The game was developed by Gearbox Software and Valve and published by Sierra On-Line on November 19, 1999. Opposing Force is the first expansion for Half-Life and was announced in April 1999.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This is a full playthrough of the recently dumped Half-Life: Opposing Force Press Demo. Dated a few weeks before the final build, this demo contains a select handful of levels from three unconnected chapters of the full game (and a very brief Boot Camp sequence). While fairly close to release, there are still quite a few intriguing visual differences, audio changes, map edits, gameplay tweaks, and more. Can you spot them all?

Details and download here: https://hiddenpalace.org/Half-Life:_Opposing_Force_(Oct_18,_1999_Press_Demo

0:00 Half-Life menu
0:23 Opposing Force Press Demo menu
0:36 Boot Camp
2:02 Incoming
4:43 Welcome to Black Mesa
17:12 Friendly Fire
25:47 Foxtrot Uniform
28:05 Closing

This is a full archival playthrough recorded for posterior, especially for the convenience of those unable to run the original WON version of Half-Life. While most differences present in the available gameplay and levels are highlighted, this is not intended to be a full-fledged analsis of the demo. More normal Fact Files will come in the course of... well... I'm really not at liberty to say.

In the meantime, go to 25:10 to see the worst medic in the world.

carlosrox

Banned
Is the original Op4 music still unplayable in the Steam release?

Last time I checked it doesn't play the proper music, it just plays whatever track from HL1 fit the same listing. Like Track 1 from Op4 is Track 1 from HL.

Is that still the case?

----

Loved this game back in the day. I remember one of the trailers got me super hyped, the one that ends with the radioactive waste flooding the room? Man I haven't seen that trailer in forever and forgot it even existed until just now...

Edit: I think this was the one! Oh man I haven't seen this trailer in like 20 years!?

Last edited:

Tschumi

Opposing Force actually consitutes about 70% of my total Half Life 1/expansions playtime. The gunplay was really fun, the soldiers actually decided my ideal of scary contemporary FPS opponents for life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom