• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life: Alyx seemingly reconfirmed for March & play previous HL games for free!

PhoenixTank

Half-Life: Alyx has seemingly been reconfirmed for March, with an AMA happening tomorrow.
It'd be a real dick move to have that in the news piece and then announce a delay tomorrow... so fingers crossed for no bamboozle.

For the rest of us without VR, all the Half Life games are free to play from now until release.
Half-Life: Alyx is coming in March, and we are celebrating early by making all games in the Half-Life Collection FREE to play for Steam users, from now until the day it launches!

Half-Life: Alyx is set before the events of Half-Life 2 and the episodes, but the games share characters and story elements. The Half-Life: Alyx team believes that the best way to enjoy the new game is to play through the old ones, especially Half-Life 2 and the episodes, so we want to make that as easy as possible.

From now until Half-Life: Alyx launches, visit the game page of each Half-Life game to install it and play as much as you want, right up until the day Half-Life: Alyx is released!

If you already have Steam installed, you can click the following links to start playing now!
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Also included in this bundle and available to play for free are:
Half-Life: Opposing Force
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Team Fortress Classic

^ Links altered from original announcement as steam:// links won't work here.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
play as much as you want, right up until the day Half-Life: Alyx is released!

Does that mean you lose access to these games when the vr game is released?

PhoenixTank

play as much as you want, right up until the day Half-Life: Alyx is released!

Does that mean you lose access to these games when the vr game is released?
That is my understanding, yes.
Safe money would be on there being a proper sale for all of them on or around HL: A's release. $6.28/£4.82 during the last sales for reference.

So they're not to keep? Because I just bought the rest of the HL games fairly recently and I'd be pretty annoyed.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
No better time to replay them. I should dust off my copy of Orange Box and go through the original Portal, too. It has been a few years.

Top Bottom