• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Half Life Alyx - No VR mod is shaping good

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Damn. Guess I just need to get VR to play a VR game then. Isn't VR very expensive and very few games do VR right? Seems like a huge investment with little gain.

For those of us without VR, this mod sounds interesting. But yeah, it would be diluted big time without VR. But it is watered down beer or no beer for me.
If you have a good gaming PC, Quest 2 is quite cheap and offers an amazing experience. Definitely enough great games to get your money's worth too.

If you don't have a good gaming PC, then yeah you're looking at a huge investment.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Jul 5, 2010
Cancun, Mexico.
I just did the unthinkable: My PC is far, far from being VR capable (Core2Quad GPU that doesn't even support AVX, paired with a GTX 1050Ti), and I only own PSVR, so I did the frankenthing of connecting the PSVR (3DOF only as I don't have a Kinect/PS3 camera), downloaded some Alyx hack that let's you use KB/M, and the game actually ran. I managed to get past the title screen, and into the balcony.

Framerate was ovbiously below 60fps and it had some very bad stutters and geometry culling if I turned my head around too quickly, but just standing still the visuals were pretty dang good (lowest settings), way above anything I've played on PSVR.

I just did this experiment to see if my PC could run the game at all, because... I'm going to use the no-VR mode, being fully aware I'm not going to experience the real thing (I'm a glutton for punishment and already saw a playthrough when the game launched). So based on how "well" it ran in VR, it's going to be very playable non-VR on my PC.

Hmm, I wonder if I could LowSpecGamer the thing, add a PS3 camera and use my move controllers...

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Oct 3, 2017
I just did the unthinkable: My PC is far, far from being VR capable (Core2Quad GPU that doesn't even support AVX, paired with a GTX 1050Ti), and I only own PSVR, so I did the frankenthing of connecting the PSVR (3DOF only as I don't have a Kinect/PS3 camera), downloaded some Alyx hack that let's you use KB/M, and the game actually ran. I managed to get past the title screen, and into the balcony.

Framerate was ovbiously below 60fps and it had some very bad stutters and geometry culling if I turned my head around too quickly, but just standing still the visuals were pretty dang good (lowest settings), way above anything I've played on PSVR.

I just did this experiment to see if my PC could run the game at all, because... I'm going to use the no-VR mode, being fully aware I'm not going to experience the real thing (I'm a glutton for punishment and already saw a playthrough when the game launched). So based on how "well" it ran in VR, it's going to be very playable non-VR on my PC.

Hmm, I wonder if I could LowSpecGamer the thing, add a PS3 camera and use my move controllers...

Wow, I didn't know that PSVR on PC was a thing. What software(s) did you use please for this experiment ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wonko_C

Wonko_C

Jul 5, 2010
Cancun, Mexico.
Wow, I didn't know that PSVR on PC was a thing. What software(s) did you use please for this experiment ?
iVRy on Steam allows you to use the PSVR as a PC headset. It has a trial version so you can test how it runs before buying.

psvrhack on reddit has setup tips to make it work with moves, and even 6-DOF+full body tracking with Kinect, but setup is some really fiddly shit that doesn't always work. (I borrowed a Kinect and could never get my Moves detected)

• Love
Reactions: ZoukGalaxy

ZoukGalaxy

Oct 3, 2017
iVRy on Steam allows you to use the PSVR as a PC headset. It has a trial version so you can test how it runs before buying.

psvrhack on reddit has setup tips to make it work with moves, and even 6-DOF+full body tracking with Kinect, but setup is some really fiddly shit that doesn't always work. (I borrowed a Kinect and could never get my Moves detected)
Oh nice !
Thanks for all these great informations and tips, really appreciate them ^^

Reactions: Wonko_C

Videospel

Mar 6, 2014
No need to imagine, it's just as bad as it sounds:

Moving with a dpad was a chore, it felt nothing at all like the real SM64. And don't get me started on the thumbstrap.
I played the game with the thumbstrap. It worked great until the thumbstrap got a sharp speck on it that scratched my screen.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Dec 1, 2014
ibiza

****Changelog****
- Improved collissions
- UI Improvements & Custom hints
- Game story is now more playable
- Working pen/draft
- Some complex puzzles were adapted to non-vr
- Custom items (pipe)
- In-Game menu is now working (very important feature)
- Panorama is reacting to user input while paused (Only by using in-game menu)
- Custom Engine Functions

New weapon animations & improvements are coming. Everything still in development and is not final.

Reactions: Type_Raver and Loke

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
They should have released a non vr version themselves. The only reason they didn't was to make people buy there 1000 dollar headsets.

Last edited:

Romulus

Mar 21, 2019
I have a ton of respect for the work done to get it running, but playing that game in 2D makes absolutely no sense from a foundation standpoint. It just compromises all the way around unless you've only seen videos of Alyx and not actually played it, then in that case you can probably convince yourself it's "not that big of a difference." There is literally no bigger difference than 2d to full 3d. It's absolutely colossal.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Wonko_C and TheMan

Wonko_C

Jul 5, 2010
Cancun, Mexico.
I have a ton of respect for the work done to get it running, but playing that game in 2D makes absolutely no sense from a foundation standpoint. It just compromises all the way around unless you've only seen videos of Alyx and not actually played it, then in that case you can probably convince yourself it's "not that big of a difference." There is literally no bigger difference than 2d to full 3d. It's absolutely colossal.
Agreed completely, the amount of work being put into this mod is nothing short of amazing, but I'd rather wait until either it is announced for PSVR2 or I build a VR-Ready PC.

I might play this mod as a curiosity though.

Reactions: Romulus

nemiroff

Gold Member
Feb 19, 2018

I agree. The creator is doing an excellent job putting hours into this, but yeah.. Folks, just go watch a playthrough on Youtube instead, having this experience on a 2D screen makes no sense to me.