• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 2 Episode 2 VR mod - April 6th

Buggy Loop

With this release, whole Half life 2 series is now in VR

Still can't believe what modders are able to do sometimes. Crazy talent.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I didn't even notice that they'd released Episode 1, can't wait to dive into both of these

HL2 base game in VR was incredible, the only way to play it once you've tried.

Buggy Loop

I didn't even notice that they'd released Episode 1, can't wait to dive into both of these

HL2 base game in VR was incredible, the only way to play it once you've tried.

They updated relatively recently the HL2 base game VR mod to include Alyx like teleportation too. It was drastically improved from the very old HL2 VR, at least, the one i tried when i had the oculus DK1 in ~2013 ish?

I have to find time to VR the whole series, HL2 + ep1 + ep2, hell yeah.

k_trout

finished ep 1 a few weeks back, cant wait for this. the hl2 vr mod has been one of the highlights in gaming for me

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
They updated relatively recently the HL2 base game VR mod to include Alyx like teleportation too. It was drastically improved from the very old HL2 VR, at least, the one i tried when i had the oculus DK1 in ~2013 ish?

The version of HL2 VR I played was released within the part year, very polished. I’m not sure if it had teleports because I used stick movement.

Romulus

If this series had never come out in the early 2000s, most of us in 2023 playing it VR would feel like it's a new game. It's aged that well imo. Especially in VR that world just comes to life like nothing else.

Crayon

I haven't bought PSVR2 yet, and I'm rather dumbly hoping they make some sort of announcement about Deckard soon, so I can make an informed decision.

My plan it that the psvr2 will be still kicking but showing its age by the time deckard is out. Then I can justify buying both lol. If deckard came out tomorrow I would have a pretty hard time pulling the trigger.

Spyxos

Gold Member

Have you played it? Is it playable, or can you tell that it's a mod and you want to turn it off?

And what actually happened to this one mod that ran in Hl ALyx engine. And had its own story and dubbing, should you play it?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Black Mesa VR is out too, ya know.
This mod is an unofficial VR port of Black Mesa Source: Extended Edition (2020). This mod contains HL2VR compatible maps for Hazard Course, Uplink, and the main Black Mesa campaign (using the Vent Mod for "We've Got Hostiles!", the Loop Mod and On a Rail Uncut Mod for "On a Rail", the Surface Tension Uncut Mod for "Surface Tension", and the Improved Xen Mod for "Xen", "Gonarch's Lair", "Interloper", and "Nihilanth"). These maps have all been seamlessly integrated together to provide a complete Black Mesa experience in VR. As a bonus, this mod also contains the first two retail Xen 1.0 maps which have been ported to an older version of the Source engine to enable VR compatibility. These two maps require that you own the retail version of Black Mesa in your Steam library.

Note that it is NOT possible to perfectly integrate Black Mesa with VR due Black Mesa's reliance on custom code which is not publicly available. The Black Mesa Source VR mod overhauls the Black Mesa campaign to run entirely off the code for Half-Life 2: Episode 2 VR. This allows you to play through the entire Black Mesa campaign in VR with functional Half-Life 1 NPCs and proper scripted sequences, granted switching the game's logic to use HL2VR code will cause some bugs with gameplay as listed below:

MAJOR ISSUES
* NPCs use Half-Life 2 AI which is less sophisticated than the original Black Mesa AI.
* The only supported weapons are Half-Life 2 VR weapons.
* The Blast Pit Tentacle and Ichthyosaurs appear in-game but their AI is buggy.
* Xen portals do not work. Xen aliens spawn immediately on map load.
* Dropships are not currently working and have been temporarily replaced with Apache helicopters.
* Platforming sections may require using the "noclip" cheat as the long jump module does not appear in-game and select launch pads are also not working.
* The Houndeyes currently have some AI bugs which may cause them to occasionally freeze up. This will hopefully be fixed in the next release.

MINOR ISSUES
* Tram control coordinates do not line up with VR controllers. To interact and drive the tram during "On a Rail", you must stand directly on top of the train controls.
* The "Apprehension" physics bridge puzzle does not work. The bridge now defaults to it final position.
* You must restart the game after playing Xen levels or previous maps will have low gravity.
* 7 Xen aliens were removed across "bm_c2a4g" and "bm_c3a2h" to prevent CTDs.
* The "We've Got Hostiles" guard gets killed by an invisible zombie.
* The Bullsquids will occasionally play Houndeye sound effects.
* The Surgery Bot does not appear in the game.
* The Blast Pit fence has no collision.
* The TOW missile system is broken.
* Tanks appear as Combine APCs.
* Mortars and mines do not work.
* Soda dispensers do not work.
* Shaders do not work.

If you run into any additional problems with the Black Mesa Source VR mod not listed above, please submit a Bug Report or leave a comment here on Nexus so I can continue to improve the mod!

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Have you played it? Is it playable, or can you tell that it's a mod and you want to turn it off?

And what actually happened to this one mod that ran in Hl ALyx engine. And had its own story and dubbing, should you play it?

Haven't played the latest version no. I saw peoples playing with the teleport and it seems to be a copy of Alyx, so the comments were good.

Not sure which mod you're talking about for Alyx, there's so many of them. Haven't played them yet because i'm out of VR area with basement construction mess.

I think you would find one of those mods you're talking about in this video?

Top Bottom