• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hades UK boxed charts - gamepass data not counted

kingfey

Banned
Steam users are not a part of Xbox ecosystem regardless. How is Steam part of Xbox ecosystem when Microsoft is paying royalties to Valve for selling games in the “Xbox ecosystem”? That is just absurd.
We arent talking about steam as a whole. But those who buy xbox games on steam. They are part of xbox ecosystem.
W1gKUDM.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Not sure how playing Sea of Thieves on a remote Xbox makes your point. You are still playing on an Xbox. I do agree that streaming blurs the lines though. But ultimately the hardware is actually an Xbox.

You dont need an actual Xbox to be an Xbox user.
Heck at this point MS are quite happy to simply be a services company as long as you are using their Xbox services.
Gears POP! required you to be an Xbox user to actually play it.

If you use Xbox Live you are an Xbox user.

Dr Bass

Where does he say boxed?
According to some, Xbox game box sales are atrocious... and yet, more and more games are coming to Gamepass as time goes by.
The question remains... Do Neogaf commentators understand more about the gaming business then the developers that sell their games to Gamepass?
They understand it, when 1 region with 5k sales as top 1 chart, has 90% on plastic A, and 10% on plastic B.

They dont care about the actual data. Just %. Because actual numbers data, defeats their points.
Why the fuck would you buy physical when they give you 20% off the digital?
Believe it or not, there are idiots out there who want to see Game Pass fail. True story.
Hades is not the kind of game that sells boxed copies. its a classic indie digital title.

The boxed sales gap is odd but I think it's because xbox u.k players buy most of their copies digitally. That ratio simply does not make any sense whatsoever.

So here we have yet more plainly clear evidence that Xbox games are not selling that well in general, compared to the competition, and the usual guys are out screaming and whining in full defense mode about it, looking for ways to explain away what the results are showing. Come on people. We even have one guy expressing clear disbelief at reality, when I think those who have been paying attention are not surprised at all.

For crying out loud, what do you expect when Microsoft themselves are telling their own player base to NOT buy games? That it's all about Game Pass? The bottom line is that Game Pass and Microsoft themselves are disincentivizing buying games. Plenty of us have said this would happen, and we are seeing it over and over again now in sales charts. And then Xbox-only gamers (or people where it's their clear favorite at least) are trying to say, "no ... all-is-well, please look the other way"? What is the metric for success then at this point? It's not games sold. It's not consoles sold apparently. They've stopped reporting Game Pass numbers recently. To quote Spinal Tap, "where do you go from there? Where? No where." Unless of course Microsoft can find a way to get to 11.

But let's defend it all. This is all great!

Oh yeah, and to the guy saying "some idiots actually want Game Pass to fail" like it's some kind of rooting against a great idea ... the problem is that a lot of people don't think it's a great idea and here is why. It's the same effect as Apple's App Store and the race to the bottom in terms of what people see as value for software. We are at a point where people think a 5 dollar coffee drink that'll give you diabetes is a worthy use of money but 99 cents for an app on your phone is a rip off. Only massive giants like MS can afford to subsidize a gaming habit the way they are currently doing so. The thing is though, they won't want to do it forever unless it becomes a great profit center (and we know it isn't now, and won't be in the near future because they've said so). And if it was successful, do you want MS being the "gatekeeper" of what games can be made since people won't want to buy games on that platform anymore? You would basically NEED Game Pass subsidy to survive. It's a horrible situation to be in if you make games.

Software is expensive to make. These games should rightfully be priced at 50, 60, 70, 80 dollars a pop to properly support them. Then you have a multi-trillion dollar company coming in and saying we are going to buy up a bunch of software development studios, and ask you to give them a dollar to convert your Xbox Live subscription to Game Pass ultimate for the few years you've already paid up for. How many people will stay on once those subs convert to a 15 dollar a month constant payment? But the damage will be done, at least with the crowd that thinks that games should now be "free" as we keep seeing people say, "it's free with Game Pass!"

But yeah, let's shoot the messengers. Let's rip on people who point out a 93/7 split. Wasn't Resident Evil 8 some ridiculously imbalanced split as well? You don't get bigger than RE8, and it wasn't on Game Pass, soooooo what's the excuse there? You can talk about low numbers all you want "Hey that 93% was only around 2500 copies!" as if ... that's better? So the numbers on Xbox were extremely low then? Let's not forget the UK was Xbox's second stronghold in the past, so I just don't see how this bodes well for anything at all.

The one thing that is annoying is people not willing to discuss in good faith. My "favorite" game maker doesn't really do what I would prefer at all. And I'm not afraid to say so. I think they screw up a ton of stuff and I realize that they don't really exist to suit my tastes anymore (which is odd because those tastes developed largely because of their previous output but you know, I digress and all that). But it would be like if I ran around trying to shout down people who pointed out where they are falling short, but instead of trying to disagree with facts I would just insult them while making excuses about real life results. That's what we are seeing right now around Xbox data.

You can love the Xbox, the Playstation, the Switch, or the PC! I don't care. Everyone has their favorites. But don't just freaking make :poop: up because you can't deal with a reality you don't like. It's just so absurd.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Consider the paltry number of copies actually being discussed here, this might be the most pathetic console war thread I've yet seen.

That said, Hades is an incredible game, and every copy sold is good news, as is people getting to play the game through Gamepass

A win is a win for warriors even if these numbers dont tell us shit since one game is on Gamepass.

shooting war GIF

So here we have yet more plainly clear evidence that Xbox games are not selling that well in general, compared to the competition, and the usual guys are out screaming and whining in full defense mode about it, looking for ways to explain away what the results are showing. Come on people. We even have one guy expressing clear disbelief at reality, when I think those who have been paying attention are not surprised at all.

For crying out loud, what do you expect when Microsoft themselves are telling their own player base to NOT buy games? That it's all about Game Pass? The bottom line is that Game Pass and Microsoft themselves are disincentivizing buying games. Plenty of us have said this would happen, and we are seeing it over and over again now in sales charts. And then Xbox-only gamers (or people where it's their clear favorite at least) are trying to say, "no ... all-is-well, please look the other way"? What is the metric for success then at this point? It's not games sold. It's not consoles sold apparently. They've stopped reporting Game Pass numbers recently. To quote Spinal Tap, "where do you go from there? Where? No where." Unless of course Microsoft can find a way to get to 11.

But let's defend it all. This is all great!

Oh yeah, and to the guy saying "some idiots actually want Game Pass to fail" like it's some kind of rooting against a great idea ... the problem is that a lot of people don't think it's a great idea and here is why. It's the same effect as Apple's App Store and the race to the bottom in terms of what people see as value for software. We are at a point where people think a 5 dollar coffee drink that'll give you diabetes is a worthy use of money but 99 cents for an app on your phone is a rip off. Only massive giants like MS can afford to subsidize a gaming habit the way they are currently doing so. The thing is though, they won't want to do it forever unless it becomes a great profit center (and we know it isn't now, and won't be in the near future because they've said so). And if it was successful, do you want MS being the "gatekeeper" of what games can be made since people won't want to buy games on that platform anymore? You would basically NEED Game Pass subsidy to survive. It's a horrible situation to be in if you make games.

Software is expensive to make. These games should rightfully be priced at 50, 60, 70, 80 dollars a pop to properly support them. Then you have a multi-trillion dollar company coming in and saying we are going to buy up a bunch of software development studios, and ask you to give them a dollar to convert your Xbox Live subscription to Game Pass ultimate for the few years you've already paid up for. How many people will stay on once those subs convert to a 15 dollar a month constant payment? But the damage will be done, at least with the crowd that thinks that games should now be "free" as we keep seeing people say, "it's free with Game Pass!"

But yeah, let's shoot the messengers. Let's rip on people who point out a 93/7 split. Wasn't Resident Evil 8 some ridiculously imbalanced split as well? You don't get bigger than RE8, and it wasn't on Game Pass, soooooo what's the excuse there? You can talk about low numbers all you want "Hey that 93% was only around 2500 copies!" as if ... that's better? So the numbers on Xbox were extremely low then? Let's not forget the UK was Xbox's second stronghold in the past, so I just don't see how this bodes well for anything at all.

The one thing that is annoying is people not willing to discuss in good faith. My "favorite" game maker doesn't really do what I would prefer at all. And I'm not afraid to say so. I think they screw up a ton of stuff and I realize that they don't really exist to suit my tastes anymore (which is odd because those tastes developed largely because of their previous output but you know, I digress and all that). But it would be like if I ran around trying to shout down people who pointed out where they are falling short, but instead of trying to disagree with facts I would just insult them while making excuses about real life results. That's what we are seeing right now around Xbox data.

You can love the Xbox, the Playstation, the Switch, or the PC! I don't care. Everyone has their favorites. But don't just freaking make :poop: up because you can't deal with a reality you don't like. It's just so absurd.
2Tt0D9W.gif

OT: The 7% of Xbox owners without gamepass bought a physical copy of this game in the UK.
1+1=2

kingfey

Banned
Its good to act smart. Using UK physical as example for Xbox failing is too funny. The chart here had 5k for n1. Here is your answer for it. Good luck using UK charts for xbox failing. Not to mention the game is on gamepass, Unlike playstation.
No.1 sold less than 5500 units.
F1 2021 sold 3400 units and charted at No.6

This is a great example for a kid, who has no idea how gamepass works. Gamepass is an option. You can buy games. You arent locked out of buying games. MS arent telling you dont buy games. They have older games, which they add to the service. People see these games, and buy it. Last time gamepass had was 18m.
Your metric for success, is attracting customers, not cash. If it was cash, Then Nintendo is winners. They sold 31m copies of animal crossing since feb2021. They made around $1.860b selling Animal crossing at $60 price tag.

Consoles are useless, due to limited quantity you have. You need different ways to reach bigger audience. Limiting yourself to 1 console, will hinder accessing a larger pool of players.

People said the same thing to netflix. They cant afford their library. They are failing business. And people cried like kids, downplaying them. Where did that go? Disney+, Hulu, and major companies following Netflix steps.
People will spend 15$ to play day1 games. People arent like you, who will spend 60-70 day1. Also gamepass is profit business. Or else, MS wouldnt have run this business for 4 years. Yes, Gamepass come out in 2017. And MS didnt turn of the plug. So why would they stop it? Because forum kids told them they arent making money?
If you want to talk about gatekeeper, talk to sony. Xbox is giving their studio free complete to do whatever they want to do. MS wont go a head, and tell them to make this game. Or Rare wouldnt have started doing grounded, or Everwild. Keep telling yourself about how MS is gatekeeping games, When they are trying to put their games on pc day1, unlike certain 1.

Happy Good Vibes GIF by Apple Music

50-60-70 is fine, but spending 15$ is bad? What kind of logic is this? Dude, what the hell are you smoking? Do you know what long term plan is? Do you know growth period? Do you even know what business is?
Let me teach you something.
According to a report from industry analyst David Gibson, Marvel's Avengers cost well over $100 million to produce but only sold about 3 million copies, resulting in a net loss of about $63 million.
This is what happens, when you relay on sales alone.
G=18m users. G= pays 10$ average. G users pay $180m for 1 month. That is enough to cover Marvel avengers cost production. MS has now infinite amount of money from G users, who are paying monthly.
If G users is at 40m. G users will pay $400m monthly or $4.8b a year. That is enough to fund 48 avengers level production games. Now tell me, how is this not profitable for MS?

UK=/=Xbox. Get that to your head first. UK=/= total sales of the game. There is digital sales. There is early birds. People wont pay 60$ day1. They arent fucking rich like you expect them to be.

Why would I buy games at that price? Here is something you dont understand. There is something called sales. People wait for sales. If a game isnt that good, people wait for sales.
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP2047-PPSA02395_00-METROEXODUS0GEN9/ This game come out 2019. This is how much its worth now.
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA07820_00-THELASTOFUSPART2/ Last year game.
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA11456_00-GHOSTDIRECTORPS4/ With dlc. The game was last year.
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0001-PPSA01491_00-GAME000000000000/ Last year. Valhala isnt even 2 years.

Werent you just bashing MS minutes ago? Did that went out of your brain? You talk about good faith, yet you shat on Xbox, without understanding anything.

If you dont care, why bother posting this shit? Seriously, you could have ignored the entire post. It isnt that hard. I dont go to playstation discussion, because I have no place in there. I just shut up my mouth, and go my away. Its that simple. The fact you bothered to post this, contradicts your point.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Makes sense, it's on gamepass so you would be foolish to A own and Xbox without gamepass and B buy a game that's currently on gamepass lol

kingfey

Banned
Not sure what the question has to do with my comment.
People dont generally buy alot of games. 15$ is like paying for a game sale. To publishers, MS money is good for them. Not everyone is lucky to hit 1m on 1 platform, unless you have a big massive followers. or your game is 90 in metacritic.

These publishers would put their games on the service. And people like you, would play it (you are now playing hades on gamepass). To publishers, this is a great deal for them, since many players will experience their game.

As for sustainability, It depends on how much games can MS bring. I am there for their big catalogue, and indies. I dont get that lucky, to get a good indie game. So gamepass is good way to find hidden gems, while I play the big games.

Games like that would attract people, and before you know it, you will have 50m. They started as 0 in 2017, and now have 18m, since last announcement. As long as people are on their 10$ 15$, MS would get $180m monthly and higher as the sub count goes. Compared to Psnow, which is $180m in 1 year from the subs from 3m users. and it existed since July 31, 2014. If sony can keep psnow, I dont think MS will drop the service.

Stuart360

Consider the paltry number of copies actually being discussed here, this might be the most pathetic console war thread I've yet seen.
We actually had the same multiple page thread for Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, only there it was estimated that sales were less than 1000 lol.

The real story here is how a fantastic game like Hades has only sold 2500 physical copies in the UK, but no we must go to WAR!!!

persevering-face-mattdamon.gif

I own this game on PC, Switch, downloaded it on gamepass the other day, and I might go ahead and buy it on PS5 tomorrow too. I don't even care which platform it's sales numbers are good on as long as they're all good.

It deserves any and all of the support it gets in my book. Might buy the boxed PS5 version and just put it up in the attic lol

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I own this game on PC, Switch, downloaded it on gamepass the other day, and I might go ahead and buy it on PS5 tomorrow too. I don't even care which platform it's sales numbers are good on as long as they're all good.

It deserves any and all of the support it gets in my book. Might buy the boxed PS5 version and just put it up in the attic lol
I own it on epic. Console might be fun. It was cheaper on pc. 10$ with sale, and 10$ coupon.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So here we have yet more plainly clear evidence that Xbox games are not selling that well in general, compared to the competition, and the usual guys are out screaming and whining in full defense mode about it,
lol I am one of the usual suspects now? Get a grip.

Riky and DarkMage are about to have an existential crisis seeing me get accused of being a MS fanboy.

You literally shot down people who dared to offer a different opinion from yours. And it seems any time I criticize your favorite game maker, I find you defending them while insulting me. Better practice what you preach, and remember that next time when you get triggered by my criticisms of Sony because they happen to be my favorite game maker and like you, I am not afraid to criticize them. And yet you seem to have seen my criticisms of Sony and have concocted a reality where I am a Microsoft fanboy. Laughable.

I am not even gonna bother listing them individually because every time you've quoted me you have run to shoot down me pointing out so and so has fallen short. So this simple search criteria of every single instance of you quoting me should do.

You want to insult me, quote me, shoot me down, have at it. That's what forums are for. Just dont pretend that you are better than all of this, and pat yourself on the back. It's sickening.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

That said, Hades is an incredible game, and every copy sold is good news, as is people getting to play the game through Gamepass
I don’t know, this one is probably worse, as it’s percentages of ppl doing a menial side task, and happens to be about the same game.

anthony2690

Banned
I'm one of the 7%, but I'm playing it on game pass.

The case has this lovely shiny finish in parts that makes the cover pop :)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
These threads are something else. Physical sales in the toilet and people warring over the tiniest bit of data.

What a shit show. You'd be crazy to buy the game on xbox and using quotes from Phil boy from over three years ago when they were probs at sub 10 million subscribers is just sad.

The landscape will change as more people subscribe and there's less users without gamepass. It's only natural. The reality is the service is doing great because more people have seen the benefit of it and signed up.

Duchess

I'd be interested to see how much revenue was generated by the PS5 sales against how much MS paid for the game to be on Gamepass.

We'll probably never find out, though, since the Gamepass revenue is probably wrapped in a non-disclosure clause.

SkylineRKR

I don't know how GP works but it should be an ensured source of income while (physical) sales depend on the consumer buying it or not.

Duchess

Why in the world would GamePass increase BOXED sales? Who ever claimed this was the case?

While Spencer doesn't say whether these are boxed or digital sales, one can assume that boxed sales will make up a part of this. Some people just prefer physical copies or want a physical copy of something they love to stick on their shelf.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned

While Spencer doesn't say whether these are boxed or digital sales, one can assume that boxed sales will make up a part of this. Some people just prefer physical copies or want a physical copy of something they love to stick on their shelf.
Nobody in their right mind would go "yeah, I played Hades through Game Pass but I want to own it, so I will go to my local store and buy a physical copy."

All players that likes to own a game and they tried to buy it are buying digital edition. It's just common sense. It is more convenient and you also get discount for buying it as a GP member

MOTM

Banned
True.

Except for the guy who fucking leads Xbox.........

ROFL.

"In a video interview with levelup.com (as pointed out on ResetEra), Spencer says that putting games on Game Pass actually increases sales of the individual game."

""When you put a game like Forza Horizon 4 on Game Pass, you instantly have more players of the game, which is actually leading to more sales of the game," he said. "Some people have questioned that, but when State of Decay 2 launched, you saw if you looked in the US at the NPD you saw this game selling really well the month it launched on GamePass."

Hey guys we have a winner for the most idiotic post of they year 🔥

Three

Again nobody has said it has no effect on retail, since Gamepass is a digital service, it’s likely to push people more towards digital and away from retail, as they use it and get more comfortable with it.

Overall sales aren't affected by whether a person chooses to buy a game digitally or physically though.
This is conjecture. Gamepass decreases sales pure and simple. Have you seen the xbox combined digital physical charts? Old games and the games that are there are nowhere to be seen on the platform combined charts. FS20 didn't show at all even on the xbox only chart and nobody mentions a word. You would think Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert would be there showing his concern for it.

Goalus

Soosa

Banned
This is conjecture. Gamepass decreases sales pure and simple. Have you seen the xbox combined digital physical charts? Old games and the games that are there are nowhere to be seen on the platform combined charts. FS20 didn't show at all even on the xbox only chart and nobody mentions a word. You would think Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert would be there showing his concern for it.
Gamepass could also decrease PS4/5 sales. I know lot of playstation gamers and majority think that when game is "free" on gamepass, it is not fair to pay full price for ps4/5 version. So many just doesn't buy the game at all, or waits until it is 1-10€ range, or buy used one.

Robb

Gold Member
I got it on GamePass so I'm not buying it, fantastic game though - loving it!

Do we know if the game was more successful on Ps5 yet? I'm thinking the boxed sales could be high relative to Xbox, but that the studio could still have made more money of off the GamePass deal than all Ps5 sales combined.

Last edited:
Why would I be concerned? For whom exactly? It's a win-win situation for all parties involved.

Dont get the hate for gamepass. Been playing the living shit outta fifa 21 and from the amount of time I spent per dollar of a previous fifa game, its lopsided af for this years iteration. Played and finished Jedi Fallen Order too. Played Last Stop which was absolutely average but would have bought it on playstation had it not been on gamepass. Getting my mindfuck on Psychonauts 2 and 12 Minutes in the next two weeks. This is ms strength, they can take loses after loses buying games for their service and still trying to grow gamepass. Good for them, good for me as a consumer.

Not that I dont turn on my ps5. Ac Valhalla and Doom Eternal keeping me busy there too. But its so refreshing having the two be alphas again this gen.

Actually didn’t realize this was getting a physical release until I saw it at Walmart. The same Walmart usually clearances games if they don’t sell pretty heavily, so I may be able to just get it for $5-10 in like 6 months.

Top Bottom