• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hades Becomes The Highest-Rated Game of All Time On PS5 and Xbox Series X

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Top 5 Games On PS5 (Metacritic)

• Hades (93)
  • Demon’s Souls (92)
  • Borderlands 3 (91)
  • Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 (90)
  • Manifold Garden (89)

Top 5 Games On Xbox Series X (Metacritic)

• Hades (93)
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps (92)
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator (91)
  • It Takes Two (89)
  • Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights (89)
Kinda crazy that an Indie Game became the highest rated game on both platform amazing really.

It is a lesson that a AAA budget and Advanced Graphics with Ray tracing are useless if this do not have a good gameplay and a good story.

Even a visual novel has high quality that even has a similar rating to Zelda Ocarina of time.

Fbh

Playing it right now and I think it's great.

I've never been able to get into Roguelikes/lites but this one has enough permanent upgrades/progression and a fun but not too intrusive story to keep me engaged and wanting to do more and more runs.
The gameplay is great too, I actually can't think of many games with multiple weapons where all are almost equally fun to use. Finally escaped with all weapons yesterday and I honestly couldn't tell which one is my favorite.

So far the only thing I don't like is some of the voice acting. I think given the visual style it should be a bit more cartoony or over the top, but it often sounds too low key. In that regard it reminds me to the Castlevania animated show, where I've also always found the voice acting doesn't fit the visuals.

Last edited:

wipeout364

My opinion is its overrated, but still a very solid game. I honestly don't get the interest in the story though seems very hipster and because the levels are constantly repeating there is minimal environmental story telling. I have found every Supergiant game about the same though, solid 7 or 8 out of 10 games. I like Hades but it's not as good as the critics are saying in my opinion.

Reactions: Fuz

DavidGzz

I can't put it down. 60 attempts. 20 clears. Now experimenting with the buffs to enemies for more blood to upgrades weapons further. Also, gifting nectar left and right. Better be a point to it lol

GHG

Gold Member
I just realized you can buy up to three death defiance perks. I've been struggling in the end game getting *this close* numerous times without 3 extra lives, lol. I'll be crushing the final boss now.

Edit:
I had all the green mirror perks activated (respawn once per room) on instead. I'm also going to start using the collar of Cerebus on Tartarus then swap it out in Asphodel for the extra health it grants for the duration of the run. I read this somewhere and didnt think of it myself.

when you swap out the color you lose the extra health it granted. I'd suggest equipping it just before Elysium and then swapping it out for Skelly's item before the final area.

During the first 2 areas you should be focused on getting as many boons as possible so that you can get the foundations of your build right. So I'd suggest equipping the items from the gods you want to get boons from for those 1 regions.

I have been stuck at the final boss for like 5 hours now. Depending on the RNG, I cant even beat the third bosses. Let alone the final boss. Went in with four lives against the final but and died because he does insane damage and has two lives himself. Lame.

Thankfully the game is so much fun I keep playing but I really wish they had some better more defensive builds.

Athena's boons are what you need. Use her keepsake for the first area and grab a boon from her every chance possible. Dionysius and Demeter also dish out some pretty useful boons that synergise well with athena's. Those are the gods to focus on if you want to go defensive.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
when you swap out the color you lose the extra health it granted. I'd suggest equipping it just before Elysium and then swapping it out for Skelly's item before the final area.

During the first 2 areas you should be focused on getting as many boons as possible so that you can get the foundations of your build right. So I'd suggest equipping the items from the gods you want to get boons from for those 1 regions.

Athena's boons are what you need. Use her keepsake for the first area and grab a boon from her every chance possible. Dionysius and Demeter also dish out some pretty useful boons that synergise well with athena's. Those are the gods to focus on if you want to go defensive.
how do I get her keepsake? I only have four keepsakes unlocked. they stopped unlocking for me a while back.

GHG

Gold Member
how do I get her keepsake? I only have four keepsakes unlocked. they stopped unlocking for me a while back.

Give nectar to every single character you meet.

Just once is enough for most, there are a handful of characters you might need to give a couple of bottles to before you get anything.

SlimySnake

I am on my 35th attempt and still cant beat the final boss. Last night this happened. I wanted to cry.

I was recording it too thinking there is no way I could lose on this run just because of how powerful I was.

Skip to the end to see heartbreak.
Final Boss Spoiler.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Give nectar to every single character you meet.

Just once is enough for most, there are a handful of characters you might need to give a couple of bottles to before you get anything.
Thanks. I had a suspicion it was the nectars because I stopped giving them out when I realized I wasnt getting anything in return. I had no idea those hearts were unlocking keepsakes.

Is Athena in the hub world? I dont think I have ever run into her in the encounter arenas.

GHG

Gold Member
Thanks. I had a suspicion it was the nectars because I stopped giving them out when I realized I wasnt getting anything in return. I had no idea those hearts were unlocking keepsakes.

Is Athena in the hub world? I dont think I have ever run into her in the encounter arenas.

She's a god. Her symbol on doors looks like this:

ckrUZ7O.png

You will 100% have run into her, you're guaranteed to on your very first run.

Full list of god symbols are here:

Try to make it so that you give each character one nectar each before starting to give any of them more than one. It gets easier to accumulate nectar as you progress but at the start you'll most likely be short on supply.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
combat is very spammy to me. i think part of the appeal is it's very noob friendly and has some not terrible dialogue. it's like bayonetta/devil may cry if there were no combos/parry. im still addicted to getting most unlocks but aspects/duo abilities are all kind of boring compared to nutty stuff in some other roguelikes that kept me playing beyond basic unlocks.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Way too overhyped. I will not play. Sounds like a Kid Icarus Uprising ripoff to me.

Last edited:

thief183

ROR2 isn't nearly as good. Its boring as hell after a few days. 0 story too. ROR 2 is the COD of roguelites
Yea sure, I got over 1000 hours and still play constantly with my friends, Hades I° got nothing left to unlock after 100 hours. Also ... story? I didn't listen evenb to a single word in Hades so I don't know and I don't care :)

Still Hades is a great game but not a great Roguelite.

thief183

combat is very spammy to me. i think part of the appeal is it's very noob friendly and has some not terrible dialogue. it's like bayonetta/devil may cry if there were no combos/parry. im still addicted to getting most unlocks but aspects/duo abilities are all kind of boring compared to nutty stuff in some other roguelikes that kept me playing beyond basic unlocks.

Totally agree, is way to easy and not many thing to unlock, also what there is is kinda boring, still a great game but pales in comparsion to other roguelite.

Kaachan

Supergiant did this game good!
I've only seen a little bit of it but the story and gameplay is top notch
Just like with Bastion they did an amazing job with the writing and voice acting
I just love the fact that the dialogues keep changing for each and every character as you progress into the game

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Yea sure, I got over 1000 hours and still play constantly with my friends, Hades I° got nothing left to unlock after 100 hours. Also ... story? I didn't listen evenb to a single word in Hades so I don't know and I don't care :)

After 100 hours and you unlocked everything? One thing in the game to fully unlock requires 325k darkness by itself. Not to mention all the heat levels you will likely have to have successfully run through to have enough mats for everything else. Well you do have Dead Cells as your avatar so maybe you're an absolute god at these games, but I'm getting close to 100 hours and I'm nowhere near unlocking everything and I'm at heat level 8 for all the different weapons.

Edit: Now that I think about it, if you completely ignored and fast clicked through every single word in Hades, how would you know how to unlock things or the trigger to when you would be allowed to?

Last edited:
Surely the title should be changed to say "so far" instead of the rather sensationalist "of all time" due to the fact that, you know, there probably will be a few more games releasing on these systems "before the end of time".
I don't know Twisted Voxel, maybe they always do stuff like that?

Last edited:

thief183

After 100 hours and you unlocked everything? One thing in the game to fully unlock requires 325k darkness by itself. Not to mention all the heat levels you will likely have to have successfully run through to have enough mats for everything else. Well you do have Dead Cells as your avatar so maybe you're an absolute god at these games, but I'm getting close to 100 hours and I'm nowhere near unlocking everything and I'm at heat level 8 for all the different weapons.

Edit: Now that I think about it, if you completely ignored and fast clicked through every single word in Hades, how would you know how to unlock things or the trigger to when you would be allowed to?

I kept doing run and if you noticed you get an icon on the head of the npc you need to talk to, talk to everybody and skip everything ^^ (btw nope I didn't unlock the cosmetic stuff you are right about it)

Yamisan

Keep telling yourself that ROR2 is good casual noob trash

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Unless you have no Switch or PC for some odd reason, we already know its a GOTY quality game

RyRy93

Good for the dev but after Undertale and Celeste I find it hard to trust the review scores assigned to indie games, there always seems to be a new flavour of the month indie game that everyone calls GOTG.

SkylineRKR

I don't like Roguelike but Hades is quite addicting. I beat it today. Its not that hard once you know how it works. With the essential mirror upgrades, the coronacht bow I could beat it rather easily. I shot for chain damage, perfect shot, doom and drunk. And support fire and some other boost by Artemis, as well as her Call. I also had Demeter Dash that fires chill projectiles and those festive bombs from Dyonisus. With 2 debuffs applied your damage ramps up, you hit and debuff entire groups with one shot. support fire is extra DPS. I cleared rooms in seconds. Only those shielded spearmen and archers are ass and you need to finish off their eggs. Chapter 3 is the hardest imo. That boss is shit too. But once I'm past that I win. I thought reflect was mandatory but I didn't have it.

I then beat it again with a build with lighting on special, doom on attack and jolt. and support fire again. With the Hermes stuff that makes you sturdy and faster after dash.

KingT731

Good for the dev but after Undertale and Celeste I find it hard to trust the review scores assigned to indie games, there always seems to be a new flavour of the month indie game that everyone calls GOTG.
Yep. There's always some hype monster of a game. Not to say Hades is a bad game (because it's not) but there tends to be a lot of superfluous fluff with some games.

Javthusiast

Banned
Is there some kinda progression save after bosses? Cause I beat Meg, ran through a couple of those volcano type levels, died and had to start at the very beginning again?

Buggy Loop

Is there some kinda progression save after bosses? Cause I beat Meg, ran through a couple of those volcano type levels, died and had to start at the very beginning again?

It’s rogue like.. you’ll always start from point 0 if you die. You unlock better equipments/actions/health for subsequent runs.

Javthusiast

Banned
It’s rogue like.. you’ll always start from point 0 if you die. You unlock better equipments/actions/health for subsequent runs.

So I eventually have to beat the entire game in one run? Oh boy, okay. Managed to get into the arena with the bull and the warrior so far.

Top Bottom