• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hades Becomes The Highest-Rated Game of All Time On PS5 and Xbox Series X

Concern

I was curious about it considering all the talk. But something about the art style just put me off. Guess imma just download it.

Demon's Souls, Ori 2, Returnal are all better than Hades. Indies are rated on a different scale than AAA games.

Hades was a good game though. I beat it at launch on the Switch.
Essentially. They are not in the same league and are getting judged by the standards of that league. They do this with indies and low-budget games all the time. Imagine if TLOU had indie graphics, they would be laughed out of their Californian town. Housemarque was indie like SGG, it isn’t anymore thanks to Sony money.

i played for maybe 45 minutes last night, it is absolutely incredible and I cannot believe Returnal didnt take any lessons from it. It's shocking playing this and making progress after every run. I couldnt even enjoy it because I was so pissed at Returnal.
Why would Returnal take lessons from anybody, they made their own game how they saw fit. And showed great balls making the game so not hand-holdy, paid huge sales price for it too. Still, if you preserve through some difficult opening hours and runs, it will become one of the best gameplay games you have ever played.

GHG

Gold Member
And it's absolutely deserved.

Bought it again on PS5 and I'm immediately reminded again of why the game is such a work of art. Everything is just top tier.

giphy.webp

Very well deserved. This game is the perfect example of why gameplay is always king. Yes the game looks fantastic and has great sound design and voice acting, but if you were to take all of that away this game would still be one of the best games around.

Even if you don't like Rogue-Likes I would recommend people to buy this game. If you like excellent control and impeccably balanced gameplay, buy it. I don't care if it's an indie or AAA, top quality shit needs to be supported.

jigglet

Banned
Achievements like this crack me up. It reminds me of articles talking about how BOTW was the highest selling game ever on Switch during the first week of release. The console had been out for one week, how about we wait a bit before making "of all time" proclamations. The record is bound to be shattered about another 20 times over the next 5 years.

Kagey K

Banned
That's why you have to always keep personal preference in mind.

It's a great rougelight game, but if you don't like that style of game it will always seem shitty, no matter how great it is.

The high review scores just means it stands at or near the top of the pack for its genre, not that it transcends all of gaming and even if you don't like the genre it will convert you. (Though it might have for some)

Anyone that follows Metascore or hype blindly are likely to hate gaming as a whole because they will be playing through a bunch of games they don't really like simply based on hype.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Achievements like this crack me up. It reminds me of articles talking about how BOTW was the highest selling game ever on Switch during the first week of release. The console had been out for one week, how about we wait a bit before making "of all time" proclamations. The record is bound to be shattered about another 20 times over the next 5 years.
I would have used the term "so far" instead "of all time" but my terminology doesn't generate the clicks or replies the op did.

Banned
I really don't get the hype around this game... I never played a more boring rogue lite in my life. the fighting system is as basic as it gets, the level/room structure is boring as hell and no mechanic seems in any way unique...

maybe you have to play it longer to get to the good parts, but any game that doesn't show its good parts after 30-45min fucked up imo

Last edited:
20 times is definitely a reach. We're gonna have a handful of metacritic cookie cutter games this generation and that's it. I guarantee you Hades is going to be a top 10 game at the end of the generation, easily.

Kagey K

Banned
I really don't get the hype around this game... I never played a more boring rogue lite in my life. the fighting system is as basic as it gets, the level/room structure is boring as hell and no mechanic seems in any way unique...

maybe you have to play it longer to get to the good parts, but any game that doesn't show its good parts after 30-45min fucked up imo
I personally think it's the artifical sense of progression.

The game is pretty smart in the way it lifts some of the best features from other games and ties the story together.

But I can also feel (especially early in the game) that if you are doing too well it artificially inflates the difficulty of the room, because it wants you to die in order to make sure you don't get too much darkness or too many keys until you hit the next story bump.

It's like RPG bosses that you are supposed to die on, but this game tries to cleverly hide it.

Once you see it, it breaks the magic of the game a bit.

HoodWinked

it's a bit of industry nepotism Greg Kasavin is well liked so reviewers are happy to give the game rave reviews.

the game still needs to be excellent but the praise definitely gets amplified.

Kagey K

Banned
it's a bit of industry nepotism Greg Kasavin is well liked so reviewers are happy to give the game rave reviews.

the game still needs to be excellent but the praise definitely gets amplified.
Seems wierd, just the other day ppl were arguing there is no nepotism and different ppl like different things.

It's like all these opinions and arbitrary numbers are subjective somehow.

Kagey K

Banned
Horizon 5 has the best chance, no guarantees though. Don't expect Halo to go over 90, if at that.

Is Psychonauts 2 going to be a hit? Haven't seen much on it.
They are likely all going to have low scoring outlier reviews regardless of how good or bad they really are, so scoring a favorable 90s is going to be difficult for all 3 TBH.

There's a good chance they all end up high 80s, but now that it's en vogue to be that guy, it's going to be harder than ever for a game to pull scores like this. (And it's why they should mostly be ignored)

jigglet

Banned
20 times is definitely a reach. We're gonna have a handful of metacritic cookie cutter games this generation and that's it. I guarantee you Hades is going to be a top 10 game at the end of the generation, easily.

Reading comprehension fail. I thought it said sales, not ratings. My bad.

SkylineRKR

Its the best Roguelike since I don't like them and I kinda play Hades more than those others. But its not entirely my thing. Game is easy to pick up and play for a few rounds though.

They are likely all going to have low scoring outlier reviews regardless of how good or bad they really are, so scoring a favorable 90s is going to be difficult for all 3 TBH.

There's a good chance they all end up high 80s, but now that it's en vogue to be that guy, it's going to be harder than ever for a game to pull scores like this. (And it's why they should mostly be ignored)
This. Xbox just doesn't have that many specialized reviewers like PSX Extreme, DualShockers, PlayStation LifeStyle, LaPS4, PlayStation Universe, Playstation Official Magazine UK, PlayStation Countrya and so on. Also the brand is the newest, critics are more likely to have grown up with a PS or Nintendo rather than a Xbox. Childhood memories make you rate higher.

Warablo

It's a really good game, it's a shame we probably won't get any expansions for it. The story and gameplay is top notch, so much writing/voice acting for a indie game.

Alx

It’s very good at what it does and I already spent far too much time on it. I wouldn’t consider it a classic though, I doubt the game will still be discussed in a couple of years.
Not that it’s a bad thing, I actually prefer « good games that don’t pretend to be more than simple entertainment ».

shubik

bought it last week when it releases on the PS5 and have poured so far 30 hours into it. No signs of fatigue whatsoever. This game is like crack for me. It´s always just one more run. And boom suddenly another hour passed.

Is there any info on supergiants next game yet?

Chukhopops

It’s an amazing, incredibly polished game with stunning attention to detail. I used to think it was impossible to have a good roguelite with a story but now I think it’s possible.

However when it comes to pure roguelites it’s behind the best game ever created:
T6E06h9.jpg

It’s the only game you can play thousands of hours and still discover new things. Hades doesn’t have nearly enough craziness and content to itself, maybe if it gets a couple expansions later it can beat it.

ZywyPL

Banned
I doubt the game will still be discussed in a couple of years.

I think it will, it will be a benchmark for rogue-like games to come. The gameplay is great, it's simple and fun, the plot/writing is what keeps you going while the progression is what hooks you up.

Seriously, if it wasn't for the story and the characters I'd drop the game after first couple of tries, and yet here I am with 50+ runs in just a couple of days and I don't see myself dropping the game anytime soon.It's amazing how with just a bunch of 2D portraits and great voice acting they've crafted characters you sympathize with so much (especially Dionysus is such a fucking cool dude), and then there's the progression system that makes each new run just better and better, the game keeps giving you more and more stuff to mess with and it never feels repetitive as each run is unique. And they nailed that background theme that plays every time you start a new run, it's so damn energizing, makes you fell like "this time I'll make it!", instead of getting demotivated after failed attempts, then there are the gods who cheer you up and motivate you even further. The plot, characters and those kind of little touches are what elevates the game above just the die-hard fanbase of rouge-like games and makes it way more "accessible" for an average Joe.

Majukun

Iregret buying this game on early access because now that it is complete and apparently eve better than before i don't feel like playing it anymore

CAB_Life

Not my type of game at all and glad it was on Gamepass. Still, always nice to see an indie (I think) studio doing well.

Kev Kev

scores and reviews mean nothing to me. most of them are bullshit anyway

ill play it for myself and make my own judgement, as we all should be doing

Rivet

I liked it a lot but I think it's slightly overrated at this point. The gameplay is a bit repetitive after a while.

Creative indies tend to be rated a bit too high on metacritic compared to higher budget games, for some reason.

It's a great game anyway. I just don't think we'll talk about it in 10 years...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It’s an amazing, incredibly polished game with stunning attention to detail. I used to think it was impossible to have a good roguelite with a story but now I think it’s possible.

However when it comes to pure roguelites it’s behind the best game ever created:
T6E06h9.jpg

It’s the only game you can play thousands of hours and still discover new things. Hades doesn’t have nearly enough craziness and content to itself, maybe if it gets a couple expansions later it can beat it.
Man the last dlc fing ruined isaac for me :(

Top Bottom