• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hades 2 launches to Overwhelmingly Positive reviews on Steam early access

No chance in hell that I'm not playing this.

swerk GIF

Pejo

Gold Member
I own the first one from a bundle or something, but still haven't installed it. The only thing I know about Hades 2 is that propagandists seem to be fond of it and aggressively pushing it. Not that it will weigh on my personal opinion if I do play it, but it gives me some food for thought.

tommib

I played the first one for a couple of hours. Really cool artwork but not my thing. I know I’m an extreme minority though. Everyone loved it and I’m sure Hades 2 will delight the fanbase.

Pimpbaa

First one didn’t have a lot of areas or enemy variety compared to other rogue likes. I liked what was there, it just wasn’t enough of it so it got old for me quick. Hope the sequel rectifies that.

I put like 100 hours in the 1st one. I'll get part 2 when its done. Last thing I'd ever want to do with a roguelike is play it in Early Access to drag the process out further.

If you go through the reviews most seem to be around 1 hour playtime. Let's wait at least a week before speculating anything from this, when people have actually played the game past the tutorial.

Last edited:

Strategize

This would the easiest GOTY win ever if they didn't call it early access lol, barely anything big is coming out this year. If they wait until next year for the "official" version it'll get stomped by GTA6.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Hades was my favorite rouglike, so much depth & gameplay diversity also storry was damn good & voice acting, DAY 1 !!!

Roberts

First one is a personal favourite and it is crystal clear that it is not some accidental masterpiece. Everything from gameplay, to structure, to characters, to voice acting and dialogue is a work of a true talent at the top of their game so I am not surprised. Can't wait when it hits consoles.

When 1 released its first beta I played a bit, liked it and waited for the final release. And waited, waited, and here we are today with the sequel already releasing the beta lmao

Chukhopops

How does it run on Steam deck, is it a stable 60 fps already?

Hades is one of the best games of its genre, really close to Binding of Isaac (the absolute unbeatable GOAT when it comes to content, challenge and run variation). I expect H2 to be a similar masterpiece.

StereoVsn

Honestly I don’t get the hype. I guess I am just not into roguelites. Played the first one for a few hours and got bored basically.

winjer

Concurent players in the first hours of a shadowdropped game....

Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

And during a work day.
During a weekend, it would have been even higher.
And I would not be surprised if these numbers would get even higher, in the next few days.

Honestly I don’t get the hype. I guess I am just not into roguelites. Played the first one for a few hours and got bored basically.
I think roguelikes are a terrible genre most of the time. It feels like it's a way to just cheap out and make a short game with 5 small levels, but stretch it out for hours and hours out of laziness or low budget constraints. I still believe this to be true, but Hades is by far the best version of a roguelike you could hope for.
  • Hell theme fits with the structure of a roguelike without any ludonarrative dissonance. It makes sense to play a time loop if you are trapped in hell and meant to suffer.
  • The combat is generally very good, with a very large amount of variety between the various weapons and upgrades.
  • The voice acting, writing, and story are great.
  • The art is top tier.
  • Music is above average.
  • The real star of the show though is the gameplay loop. You get a dopamine hit when you play a run. You fail and get another dopamine hit instead of frustration because failure means you return home and get more story, dialogue and character interactions. These play out like social links in a persona game but better. Then you get to spend currency on some minor permanent upgrades so you don't feel like you wasted your time. Then you go out and fight again. Every aspect of the loop is a positive, and there's a surprising amount of content in the story and voice acting. I don't think I was hearing many repeated lines until close to 100 hours. Basically plays out like an arcade action game you can pick up and run through in 30 minutes. Only you get constant story progression throughout, with unlocks and a ton of variety in the power ups and upgrades over time.

Last edited:

GHG

How does it run on Steam deck, is it a stable 60 fps already?

Hades is one of the best games of its genre, really close to Binding of Isaac (the absolute unbeatable GOAT when it comes to content, challenge and run variation). I expect H2 to be a similar masterpiece.

Played a couple of hours on the deck and it runs flawlessly.

Obviously don't know how well it holds up late game once heat is amped up and you have a load of synergies, but won't get there for a long while yet.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I think roguelikes are a terrible genre most of the time. It feels like it's a way to just cheap out and make a short game with 5 small levels, but stretch it out for hours and hours out of laziness or low budget constraints. I still believe this to be true, but Hades is by far the best version of a roguelike you could hope for.
  • Hell theme fits with the structure of a roguelike without any ludonarrative dissonance. It makes sense to play a time loop if you are trapped in hell and meant to suffer.
  • The combat is generally very good, with a very large amount of variety between the various weapons and upgrades.
  • The voice acting, writing, and story are great.
  • The art is top tier.
  • Music is above average.
  • The real star of the show though is the gameplay loop. You get a dopamine hit when you play a run. You fail and get another dopamine hit instead of frustration because failure means you return home and get more story, dialogue and character interactions. These play out like social links in a persona game but better. Then you get to spend currency on some minor permanent upgrades so you don't feel like you wasted your time. Then you go out and fight again. Every aspect of the loop is a positive, and there's a surprising amount of content in the story and voice acting. I don't think I was hearing many repeated lines until close to 100 hours. Basically plays out like an arcade action game you can pick up and run through in 30 minutes. Only you get constant story progression throughout, with unlocks and a ton of variety in the power ups and upgrades over time.
Yeah, that is a lot better be vast majority of tiger roguelikes/lites/etc. I just couldn’t get into it. Might give it another shot down the line.

Top Bottom