• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HADES 1.0 |OT| Get out of hell

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Just got the legendary sword, and it's easily my favorite weapon in the game now. I can't believe how strong it is. They must have heard that sword is by far the weakest weapon in the game for months or something, because this is a huge gift to anyone struggling with sword. Just 2 combos wipes out a whole head from the bone hydra for me. I have +100% damage on next strike if you kill as well, and if you get lucky and happen to have that trigger on your 3rd hit in the combo, it does over 750 damage in one swing.

Saruhashi

Banned
This is definitely a Game of the Year contender for me.

Once again proving that "realistic" graphics and "dark and serious" story etc don't mean shit if you don't have the gameplay to back it up.

Let's hope we get more stuff like this in next gen and its not all about what AAA companies are doing.

Fantastic game from an absolutely brilliant developer.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This is definitely a Game of the Year contender for me.

Once again proving that "realistic" graphics and "dark and serious" story etc don't mean shit if you don't have the gameplay to back it up.

Let's hope we get more stuff like this in next gen and its not all about what AAA companies are doing.

Fantastic game from an absolutely brilliant developer.

yes this is what most modern AAA games lack..
they are super safe and boring as fuck.

TLOU2 had a great story imo insane gfx. But the actual game? boring as fuck man

Holammer

Just got the legendary sword, and it's easily my favorite weapon in the game now. I can't believe how strong it is. They must have heard that sword is by far the weakest weapon in the game for months or something, because this is a huge gift to anyone struggling with sword. Just 2 combos wipes out a whole head from the bone hydra for me. I have +100% damage on next strike if you kill as well, and if you get lucky and happen to have that trigger on your 3rd hit in the combo, it does over 750 damage in one swing.

I unlocked all the aspects and that's my favorite as well. What really sells the 4th aspect of the sword is the aura, drop that thing and it'll slow projectiles to a crawl (really messes with witches) and deal heaps of damage, even without boons buffing its damage/reach and it disables traps too.
The +50 life is just gravy.

edbrat

Just beaten final boss for the first time on my thirty-somethingth run, frickin lasers can do one.

This game is a masterpiece, I am blown away by how good the balance is as you power up your builds. It always manages to stay on the right side of challenging but keeping the gameplay loop feeling good and varied. Devs can pat themselves on the back this is up there with the most fun I've had this gen without making squelching noises. There's your box quote for the expansion :)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Got another fully ridiculous build just now that I totally recommend.

Legendary gun
Ice attack
Ice Special
Ice laser cast
Ice super move

Basically, you can just run around nonstop lobbing ice bombs that sit and wait, plant 3 lasers that all intersect at different angles while you circle a stage, then stop and shoot. The lasers will shoot and explode the bombs also. The whole stage is a cross-section of 4 lasers, constant bombs and an ice special tornado. You rarely even will get hit this way.

Last edited:

GymWolf

yes this is what most modern AAA games lack..
they are super safe and boring as fuck.

TLOU2 had a great story imo insane gfx. But the actual game? boring as fuck man
Are you really comparing a fast hack and slash with a realistic and methodical stealth tps??

Not to be rude but only idiots buy tlou2 in search of a vanquish tps experience...

Holammer

96h into the game and I finished the main and extended storyline. I'll just mop up to six remaining achievements and I've had my fill.
... till they release an expansion that is.

juuEENd.jpg

Holammer

DRCVrVY.jpg

It is done. I'll probably play it a little bit more *just* to deliver all ambrosia. Maybe upgrade some weapons and do some decorating?

Once you get a considerable amount of completed games the narrator really starts phoning it in when describing how Zag dies, like "Slipping on an exotic sallow colored fruit".

127983599D6D8374F1A79811612A8F6CA8A48E2D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally made it to the credits! 36 runs in total. What a fantastic game. Definitely high up on my GOTY list.

I ended up using the spear for the most part. Get the extended range buff and some nice damage boosters and you can safely kill just about anything from a distance.

I got it a couple of weeks ago and beat it the other night. I probably would have beaten it a lot quicker if I just stuck to one of the weapons but I always choose whichever is the one that gives the darkness bonus.

It's my GOTY pick so far. A run is short enough 30-40 minutes, the different boosts/abilities between the weapons and the synergies you can come up with when selecting boons is amazing. The action and gameplay is so smooth. There seems to be a lot of replayability as well with the challenges you unlock after completing the game. I still have to beat it with 2 more weapons (just the shield and fists, I'm really bad at brawling and need to rethink my strats for these weapons) but after I finish with those 2 I'll take a break then try some of the challenge modes.

Cracklox

I got it a couple of weeks ago and beat it the other night. I probably would have beaten it a lot quicker if I just stuck to one of the weapons but I always choose whichever is the one that gives the darkness bonus.

It's my GOTY pick so far. A run is short enough 30-40 minutes, the different boosts/abilities between the weapons and the synergies you can come up with when selecting boons is amazing. The action and gameplay is so smooth. There seems to be a lot of replayability as well with the challenges you unlock after completing the game. I still have to beat it with 2 more weapons (just the shield and fists, I'm really bad at brawling and need to rethink my strats for these weapons) but after I finish with those 2 I'll take a break then try some of the challenge modes.

If you can unlock the aspect of chaos for the shield, it can make things pretty easy. Especially with a few levels on it. Get something like doom on the shield toss and it wrecks house. Just charge attack, shield toss spam. Doesn't involve much brawling. You can also hold the charge attack for as long as you like, which will automatically block anything in the direction your facing which is real handy when theres projectile bullet hell going on.

The fists are pretty brawly though. Haven't really found a way around that on those. Though the aspect that vacuums enemies on its special is pretty fun

Moogle11

Banned

Cross save between PC and Switch is now live. Bought on Switch earlier as I was waiting for this. Love this type of game on handhelds, but didn't want to start over from scratch.

Edit: Went smoothly for me. Downloaded, linked my Epic account on the game and it synced a d downloaded the save when I hit play.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Game is a great hit for handheld play for sure.

Made it to Hades for the second time on my 51st run (spot across lots of starts and stops from nearly day one of early access on Epic so never really got good).

Getting a little stale as I tore of roguelikes and replaying the first couple of levels. The third area bosses give me fits so I often die there or use too many death defiances and can’t outlets Hades.

I’ll keep plugging away at it while away with family over the holidays. If I haven’t cleared a run by the tune I get back I’ll likely just accept I suck and turn in god mode to see the ending. Too much else I want to play to keep at it any longer than that.

John2290

I've tried and I can't escape hell. Not sure if this is better than Dead Cells or not, maybe not cause that game was so good, but in dead cells I felt like I was getting better myself every run and more often than not getting better even though the game itself was technically getting more difficult despite the mechanics. Here it feels like you're supposed to die for story purposes, I mean it's cool to die and come back while getting that narrative but it feels entirely unfair for the sake of the story. I'll probably fire it up a few more times but sure why not just throw yourself into the fire over and over to get better benefits more quickly.

bender

What time is it?
I've tried and I can't escape hell. Not sure if this is better than Dead Cells or not, maybe not cause that game was so good, but in dead cells I felt like I was getting better myself every run and more often than not getting better even though the game itself was technically getting more difficult despite the mechanics. Here it feels like you're supposed to die for story purposes, I mean it's cool to die and come back while getting that narrative but it feels entirely unfair for the sake of the story. I'll probably fire it up a few more times but sure why not just throw yourself into the fire over and over to get better benefits more quickly.

I'm not the biggest fan of SkillUp but he touched upon your exact complaint in your review.

I don't agree with that, you die because you'd die anyway. The fact that they managed to get story progression into that is absolutely wild. Unless you're the ultimate pro, you're not making out of there until after your 20th run and by then you should have covered a lot of ground in the story. It seems like an airtight idea that people miss the point about (like BOTW weapon degradation).

Rawdirt

Neo Member
Funny I had the opposite experience with Dead Cells. I got a run in at 23 on Hades and Dead Cells I never finished with more runs than that. Now did I put as much effort into Dead Cells as Hades no but I felt the repeat rinse curve was more of a grind in Dead Cells. Hades is about learning and finding an optimal boon combo vs getting cells to incrementally work to getting strong enough to finish.

John2290

Funny I had the opposite experience with Dead Cells. I got a run in at 23 on Hades and Dead Cells I never finished with more runs than that. Now did I put as much effort into Dead Cells as Hades no but I felt the repeat rinse curve was more of a grind in Dead Cells. Hades is about learning and finding an optimal boon combo vs getting cells to incrementally work to getting strong enough to finish.
Yep, it's extremely curated in that way. It's built so you are sure to die then it gets easier but not based on your own skill. Maybe it's a good thing for some players and why it's gotten such massive praise, I do enjoy the way the story paces the game and it is a unique blend, I was just hoping it'd be more skill based instead of build based where you, yourself get better at the game through the design but it's likely my own taste, I had the same complaint of Nioh 2 over the originals excellent, finely tuned design and people love that game.

Dr Bass

Yep, it's extremely curated in that way. It's built so you are sure to die then it gets easier but not based on your own skill. Maybe it's a good thing for some players and why it's gotten such massive praise, I do enjoy the way the story paces the game and it is a unique blend, I was just hoping it'd be more skill based instead of build based where you, yourself get better at the game through the design but it's likely my own taste, I had the same complaint of Nioh 2 over the originals excellent, finely tuned design and people love that game.
You can beat the game on a brand new file in the first run.

Dr Bass

Whoah, big old swinging MLG dick. Aren't you a proper pro.
I didn't say I could beat the game on a new file. I beat it my first time around my 30th attempt.

The point ... was that the game IS entirely skill based because you can beat it starting with nothing and purely using the base moves and boons you get on the first run. You said you wished it was more skill based. I was pointing out the fact that it is. How you got your reaction from what I wrote escapes me.

John2290

I didn't say I could beat the game on a new file. I beat it my first time around my 30th attempt.

The point ... was that the game IS entirely skill based because you can beat it starting with nothing and purely using the base moves and boons you get on the first run. You said you wished it was more skill based. I was pointing out the fact that it is. How you got your reaction from what I wrote escapes me.
You can also beat super meat boy on your first attempt...but that isn't happening for anyone but maybe we are misunderstanding each other, like you said.

DonF

What are the odds of this game coming to playstation? It's on sale right now but I would like to play it on ps4 instead of the switch. Considering all previous games from the devs are on other platforms... Have they said why its switch exclusive or if it's going to remain that way?

SweetShark

So I discovered something odd...
I just want to confirm something:
Does Hades had a recent update related with the ending? Or the real ending was always in Version 1? Thank you.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

What are the odds of this game coming to playstation? It's on sale right now but I would like to play it on ps4 instead of the switch. Considering all previous games from the devs are on other platforms... Have they said why its switch exclusive or if it's going to remain that way?
They said they haven't ruled out other platforms

luffie

Anyone managed to finish the game? The furthest I reached was layer 3

Game is so good to the point I can't rage quit
What is layer 3?
Is it theseus and minotaur?
Many people including me has finished Hades, it's not a very difficult game.

bellome

Anyone managed to finish the game? The furthest I reached was layer 3

Game is so good to the point I can't rage quit

You can turn God Mode on. It gives you a progressive damage resistence without any penalty so you can progress and enjoy the story more easily.

The key to success is practice, and never give up. 💪

Mista

Banned
You can turn God Mode on. It gives you a progressive damage resistence without any penalty so you can progress and enjoy the story more easily.

The key to success is practice, and never give up. 💪
Nah not going to use that man. I like Roguelike and lite for this reason. You fuck up? You restart and go again. No one is taking the easy route 🤟🏼

Spukc

What is layer 3?
Is it theseus and minotaur?
Many people including me has finished Hades, it's not a very difficult game.
i am so happy for you that you find it easy
some don't

holy shit imagine people not being as good as you :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

mxbison

I don't like roguelikes so I held off on this game as long as possible but the style and story just looked too good so I finally gave in.

It's fantastic! This is how these games should work, always looking forward to the next run and not frustrated after dying.

I've done about 30 runs and beat it with everything but the rail gun. Think I might turn on the god mode now to start the heat runs and keep progressing in the story. It was a really fun challenge but I don't need it to be much harder.

Spukc

I don't like roguelikes so I held off on this game as long as possible but the style and story just looked too good so I finally gave in.

It's fantastic! This is how these games should work, always looking forward to the next run and not frustrated after dying.

I've done about 30 runs and beat it with everything but the rail gun. Think I might turn on the god mode now to start the heat runs and keep progressing in the story. It was a really fun challenge but I don't need it to be much harder.
great to hear i know a lot of people that told me they didnt like roguelike games at all.
nothing you do in a run gets wasted in a way

_Justinian_

Gold Member

Is it really that good? I absolutely despise roguelikes.

GametimeUK

I have recently started playing this game properly. Finally got my first clear around run 16 or 17. My second clear came the run after. Amazing game and the narrative keeps me replaying along with the stellar gameplay. Goty last year for sure and an absolute gem. I usually hate roguelikes as they bore me to tears with the repetition. This game just hits different. In short, games like this are the reason I love gaming.

God Enel

Anyone playing with hell mode? I inserted ten skulls and today was the first time I beat the Minotaur and the other guy. But used defiances and had no money left to upgrade zagreus in the next area.

btw. Bow and spear are my go to weapons. I feel like I suck the most with the sword equipped. Barely manage to beat the hydra with the sword. Dunno why.

Last edited:
Top Bottom