• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HADES 1.0 |OT| Get out of hell

Guilty_AI

Diesel%2Fblog%2FBlog+Posts%2FHades+Available+Now%2FEGS_BANNER_Hades-1900x600-f74ee6ebeaa5e14b420cdb691d129f246e253c95.jpg

Developer: Supergiant Games (Bastion, Transistor, Pyre)
Platforms: PC (Steam/Epic Store), Switch

1.0 Trailer

Gameplay showcase

About the game:
Hades is a rogue-like dungeon crawler in which you defy the god of the dead as you hack and slash your way out of the Underworld of Greek myth.

"Hades is a one-of-a-kind rogue-lite that does a brilliant job of marrying its fast-paced action with its persistent, progressing story through a vividly reimagined Greek mythological underworld."
IGN.com - 9 / 10

"Hades is one of the best roguelites of all-time."
TheSixthAxis - 10 / 10

"It's hard to imagine anyone other than Supergiant pulling off this Herculean feat with such style."
Destructoid - 9 / 10

Scores:
Metacritic: 91
Steam user reviews: Overwhelmingly positive (All time & Recent)

Links:
Official site
Steam
Epic
E-Shop

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I watched i trailer and i bought this for switch.
it’s also on sale now in europa!
5 euros off! GO GO GO

bender

What time is it?
Kind want something to feel the Spelunky 2 shaped hole in my heart, but I've just never cared for the mechanics in any of SueprGiant Games output which is a shame considering how wonderful everything else is about their games.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Last night made my first play through of Dead Cells. I am wondering how this compares.

Great OP!

Waking up to this releasing was so awesome, been waiting for the 1.0 version to finally hit!
I'm too broke rn for switch but I'm definitely going in to finally see the ending on steam!!

jaysius

Banned
Are there shortcuts in the game? I hate roguglikes that waste all your time by making you always go over the beginning levels, yea yea, "You don't get the strength from those levels" bullshit, it's a waste of your fucking time to do that shit over every time, and it doesn't help you get good at the later levels at all.

Oh cool, it's out. I heard this is coming to Game Pass, though I have not seen it yet.

I couldn't quite get into Transistor, but damned if I haven't bought Bastion 4 times on 360, PS3, PS4, and XB1.

TexMex

Last night made my first play through of Dead Cells. I am wondering how this compares.

Very different, mainly due to the perspective. If you like one, it would stand to reason you'd enjoy the other. But for me - nothing beats how Dead Cells feels to play.

Anyone with experience on both Switch and PC have an opinion between the two? Identical? Significant cuts on the Switch port?

Guilty_AI

Are there shortcuts in the game? I hate roguglikes that waste all your time by making you always go over the beginning levels, yea yea, "You don't get the strength from those levels" bullshit, it's a waste of your fucking time to do that shit over every time, and it doesn't help you get good at the later levels at all.
No shortcuts that i know of. There are some permanent upgrades but they're fairly simple stuff (like double dash or do X% more damage) and take a while to unlock. But ultimately, yeah, you're doing them over as per the genre.

jaysius

Banned
No shortcuts that i know of. There are some permanent upgrades but they're fairly simple stuff (like double dash or do X% more damage) and take a while to unlock. But ultimately, yeah, you're doing them over as per the genre.

That's shitty, and wastes user's time.

jaysius

Banned
Well, some people like it (some even complain if the game has perma upgrades).
I guess this type of game just isn't for you then

It's shitty because you can make the option for shortcuts, and it helps the base that wants to use them, and doesn't hurt the base that doesn't want to use them.

More options are always a good thing.

Guilty_AI

It's shitty because you can make the option for shortcuts, and it helps the base that wants to use them, and doesn't hurt the base that doesn't want to use them.

More options are always a good thing.
They did include a "god mode" meant to help people who aren't used to roguelite styles. It makes you tougher with each subsequent death. You can even turn it off whenever you want.

jaysius

Banned
They did include a "god mode" meant to help people who aren't used to roguelite styles. It makes you tougher with each subsequent death. You can even turn it off whenever you want.

I'm aware of that feature, but they could put in shortcuts and give you some random lesser powerups when you use them as a "punishment" so many rouglites have figured this out, this is just lazy design to not put that in there. I don't find the game all that hard, I just don't want my time wasted having to kill the first boss and all the boring stuff every single run.

Guilty_AI

For $20 I'll take a look
But I feel like anytime I buy a smaller title like this it ends up on Gamepass:messenger_neutral::messenger_expressionless:
I don't think Supergiant ever put one of their games on gamepass, or even Xone for that matter (last one was Bastion on the X360). And this title was quite suscessful so i don't think they'd put it there this early.

But its true you never know.

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
Will play, like every SuperGiant games this look amazing.

Most people don't know that Supergiant are part of the "first-wave" of this indie generation of games with Bastion, and they have since then released better and better, coherent but varied games like Transistor, Pyre and now Hades, and are amongst the few true AA indie studio with artistry like McMillen, Blow, Playdead, Fullbright, Chinese Room, Blendo etc...

GymWolf

Like i said many times, this is the best indie of the year by a long margin.

it has everything.

a good story with many charming character and AAA level of voice acting (a SHITLOAD fully voiced scenes) and art design, this game has legit better voice acting than a lot of triple A games, there is zero sloppy performances.
pixel-perfect ultra satisfying gameplay and combat.
great progression with 5 weapons that can completely transform during every runs
a fishing minigame!
a gazillion of things to buy between runs
a lot of modifiers to make the game more difficult
yuo can pet the motherfucking cerbero (you can even buy a little squeaky toy for him)

i have like 60 hours on it and i never liked roguelite before this game.

if you don't like the game, i return you the money.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Have about 50 hours into it so far which is a crying shame as I should really play it more. It's a fantastic roguelike and SuperGiant's ambition with regards to the writing is really commendable. I can only imagine how many voice lines they had to record for all these branching path conversations and what not. Sheesh!

I haven't checked out 1.0 yet so I should really get on that.

GymWolf

With experience and unlocked upgrades you are gonna breeze through the first 2 areas, like 5 min for area, less if you are really skilled or during a powerful run.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
With experience and unlocked upgrades you are gonna breeze through the first 2 areas, like 5 min for area.

Those are 5 wasted minutes because the dev is being lazy.

I’ll take one of those refunds you’re offering.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Those are 5 wasted minutes because the dev is being lazy.
I barely remember roguelite of this type with shortcuts, but i only played like 6-7 roguelites in my life.

i don't wanna shortcuts, if i'm doing a powerfull run i want to trash the mobs and feel powerfull for as much time i can get.
also i don't get the desire of having shortcuts in game like this where you build you run in every room you pass with upgrades etc...
Do you wanna save good runs mid-game? i don't get it...

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I barely remember roguelite of this type with shortcuts, but i only played like 6-7 roguelites in my life.

i don't wanna shortcuts, if i'm doing a powerfull run i want to trash the mobs and feel powerfull for as much time i can get.
i don't get the desire of having shortcuts in game like this where you build you run in every room you pass with upgrades etc...
Do you wanna save good runs mid-game? i don't get it...

Glazed over your “refund your money” bit eh?:messenger_squinting_tongue:

VN1X

Banned
Wah? That's like... the point of the genre? How would you play Slay the Spire, Monster Train or Risk of Rain (2) if you can 'skip' the first word/level? You'd miss out on all the upgrades?

I know some of these types of games offer shortcuts but they often come with more drawbacks than they do benefits. They're usually only there so casual players can learn some of the more advanced environments. It kind of defeats the purpose of the game otherwise.

jaysius

Banned
Wah? That's like... the point of the genre? How would you play Slay the Spire, Monster Train or Risk of Rain (2) if you can 'skip' the first word/level? You'd miss out on all the upgrades?

I know some of these types of games offer shortcuts but they often come with more drawbacks than they do benefits. They're usually only there so casual players can learn some of the more advanced environments. It kind of defeats the purpose of the game otherwise.

As I’ve stated I’m fine with those drawbacks, I don’t want to waste my time, he’ll make the path to shortcuts annoying and inane like Enter the Gungeon, I just want to see newer content.

I like gungeon and Rogue Legacy, to me these roguelikes offer a sense of progression, and I feel like I’m able to get better at the further content because I can easily access it.

Even if I have a bad run, I can still do something to contribute to my overall shortcut progress.

Slay the spire is different to me, it’s more passive entertainment anyway, so I don’t mind redoing the early bits.

Giving gamers choices is always the best route.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
As I’ve stated I’m fine with those drawbacks, I don’t want to waste my time, he’ll make the path to shortcuts annoying and inane like Enter the Gungeon, I just want to see newer content.

I like gungeon and Rogue Legacy, to me these roguelikes offer a sense of progression, and I feel like I’m able to get better at the further content because I can easily access it.

Fair enough.

GymWolf

the only game i remember with shortcuts is children of morta, but every big zone that you can choose in morta (divided in 3 mini-zone) was as big (if not bigger) than an entire run on hades in term extension of the areas and number of enemies.

jaysius

Banned
the only game i remember with shortcuts is children of morta, but every big zone that you can choose in morta (divided in 3 mini-zone) was as big (if not bigger) than an entire run on hades in term extension of the areas and number of enemies.
I enjoyed Morta quite a bit for that reason.

GymWolf

sense of progression in hades is one of the best things tho.

you unlock a shitload of things that make your run different, just some weapons variations change completely how you use the weapon with new moves etc.

You always have some new acted voiced scene, some new upgrade, some new objective at every run, the game is filled with stuff to see and listen.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Holy flipping fuck shit man.

if you love ..
binding of isaac
Enter the gungeon
Slay the spire.

deep insane wikifueled tactics. Infinite synergies of items.
Just stop reading buy the damm game.

everything you do unlocks shit not a second of gameplay is wasted. This is the most friendliest rogue like game. It can be hard as nails if you want it to be. High risk reward system. Srsly not kidding BUY THIS GAME MAN. It even got color coded loot man 🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

this is one of those games you want to buy on several consoles. Like terraria or stardew valley . I want this game on physical. Srsly GOTY contender. And a good example AAA budgets mean jack shit. This is pure FUN

Last edited:

GymWolf

I enjoyed Morta quite a bit for that reason.
the time you lose to complete a new zone in morta is the same of a complete run on hades when you get a little bit better with the game, there is the same amount of "wasted" time in both games.

and quite frankly, hades is a step up in almost every single aspect compared to morta except if you like more that particular pixel artstyle or fantasy\family based stories. (i mean hades does have a fair share of family stuff, almost every character is a parent of yours), in some aspects hades really trash him badly.

The game is absolutely wonderful.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How does it run?
Poorly. First area is smooth, but the moment larger fights start to happen, so does the framedrops. (at least on handheld)

Which is a shame, because the game looks stunning and plays great.

EDIT: One more complaint ^^u. This game seems to not be designed for handheld because the text can get really small at some places.

Last edited:
Top Bottom