• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVMERS - The Tragedy of Anthem

ClosBSAS

After shipping Mass Effect 3 in 2012, Mass Effect Co-Creator Casey Hudson and a small group of BioWare developers embarked on a new journey, laying the foundation for an original IP codenamed Project Dylan. The Hudson-led crew at BioWare’s Edmonton headquarters hoped to craft the video game equivalent of Bob Dylan, a title the industry would reference and revere for many years. Project Dylan, later dubbed Anthem, got off to a promising start, thanks to an ideation phase brimming with ambitious possibilities. The team’s high hopes and equally high morale eventually faded, though, replaced by stress and deep confusion about the end goal.

Mismanagement and numerous staff departures left Anthem in limbo for years. While fans and media were being wowed at trade shows with impressive concept art and vertical slices of gameplay, BioWare developers were navigating a production cycle beset by indecision and an undefined vision.

It didn’t help that similar games, such as Destiny and The Division, had already set the bar for what players expected from live-service experiences. Anthem failed to meet that bar. And while a series of post-launch updates improved surface-level issues, Anthem’s core gameplay loop and other fundamental systems demanded an overhaul—the likes of which BioWare had never previously produced.

This is the tragedy of Anthem.

Great episode, pretty much what we already knew. Imo game has great potential and should not be left to die but finished. Let´s hope they can make it work. A fully fledged Anthem is better than anything Bioware has to offer right now.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i think it could be a great game and it deserves a second shot. hopefully EA decide to keep it going and not scrap it. even if it does go ahead it's gonna take a lot to convince people to go back to it.

from what i played of it i quite enjoyed it. it wasn't perfect and had flaws. there is potential there. just need to see if EA think it's worth the money/risk.

kyussman

I bet if this game had been single player with the game world they conceived and the cool Iron Man type gameplay it would have done really well....had to chase that Destiny template though didn't they...shame.

GreyHorace

Why does Bioware waste so much time on multiplayer games? Their strength has always been in single player RPGs. A Bioware game is something you enjoy on your own and not with others.

Umbral

I just want to remind everyone that they set out to make “the Bob Dylan of video games.”

Did they do it?

Aion002

Why does Bioware waste so much time on multiplayer games? Their strength has always been in single player RPGs. A Bioware game is something you enjoy on your own and not with others.
Because EA wants to get money from surprise mechanics (loot boxes with skins and other shitty paid things)...

Mossybrew

Weren't they supposed to decide on this game's fate last week? They need to either shit or get off the pot on this one, let's see some significant changes after all this time or just can the thing already.

Top Bottom