• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost |OT| 3x Better Than Your Favorite Fighting/Mecha game

JKTrix

Wait, there's no kakusei/awakening gauge. OT title reference ruined

For what it's worth, those two guys are the voice actors for Bellri and Mikazuki

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Gundam Extreme VS Force |OT| Force means life

Gundam Extreme VS Force |OT| Awaken the Force

Gundam EXVS Force |OT| A Wakening of the Force
Gundam EXVS Force |OT| The Force A Wakens
Gundam Extreme VS Force |OT| This is not the VS you are looking for
Gundam Extreme VS Force |OT| There were stories about localization... It's true, all of it.
Gundam Extreme VS Force |OT| But really, fuck Riddhe

EDIT: Just found out, for those latecomers to FB, there is now a pack with all DLC units for ¥5400.

colinp

Banned
I picked this up with the New Years sale they're having on PSN Japan and am trying to play with my Hori RAPV4 stick. The issue is I can't get the stick to recognize as player 1. The game requires you hit the start button to begin but the V4 doesn't actually have a start button, only an options button. Am I SOL? I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Is the controller set as player 1 in the PS3 settings?

Sounds like a rather odd issue/omission. Madcatz TE2 works perfectly fine with PS3 and EXVS when set to PS4 mode.

Hah drives. Isn't that supposed to be gone like soon? Wonder if they can just import the basic assets and move set into any version of the game.

CZd00yEUYAEpGqm.jpg

:(

Shun

pouroneout3.gif

I laugh. You hope that you get more Full Boost DLC.

Completely expected. Being upfront is just twisting the knife.

I feel bad tho and the sentiment is shared amongst a couple commenters on 2ch, feeling bad for america and europe players.

Can we even start writing fictional balance patches are something here. I mean the new DLC kind of really threw the state of the game for a loop. You can't even really say, yeah this version of the game is fine as is we can just stay with it until the PS3 dies.

Bebpo

Banned
Well that's pretty shit.

Guess they better hurry up on the arcade replacement for Maxi so they can finally release Maxi at home with some of the new units from whatever the followup is.

Shun

So do you think bannam will continue dlc for PS3 or do they just give up. I mean force was wrecked waiting for patch.

So Street Fighter V Arcade Edition for Nesica when?

No one really gives a shit about PS4 anyway since is all about game center. You think Gundam will sell PS4? NOPE. Make more money somewhere else.

Other than that Sega just updated Wonderland Wars recently.

Shun

I don't think this was ever posted but Akatsuki and AGE-FX are basically confirmed for Maxi Boost on alongside G-Self, Mack Knife, and Barbatos.

bg_main.png

miku

I don't think this was ever posted but Akatsuki and AGE-FX are basically confirmed for Maxi Boost on alongside G-Self, Mack Knife, and Barbatos.

bg_main.png

Still wondering if Akatsuki is considered a Gundam or not.

I think most of the games labeled only as Akatsuki, but Gunpla called it Akatsuki Gundam.

Ezalc

This really seems like a boneheaded move, putting something like this on PC or consoles would probably sell a lot and it's not like arcades aren't thriving in Japan regardless.

"This really seems like a boneheaded move, putting something like this on PC or consoles would probably sell a lot and it's not like arcades aren't thriving in Japan regardless."

It's my understanding that Game Centers throw a fucking fit about this stuff.

Sega, VO5 for PC/Consoles please?

Shun

They do and they already make a lot of revenue from the game in arcades not in Japan but in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Singapore, Philippines, etc. They don't want their audience to cut into their profits by segmenting them to console where to level of competition varies due to connection stability and it being difficult to create a local console scene because finding venues and times is very hard.

It's much easier in Asia where game centers exist because of population density and it being easier and more convenient for people to visit the variety of game centers vs finding and trying to create a community with limited resources and space. You see more regulars and the quality of competition is actually higher in a game center.

Console versions happen when game centers are satisfied with their profits and they can make more money through a console port for the people who care about the extra story modes and extras that are timed exclusive on console before being patched into game centers.

They have this profit cycle on lock.

Why initially sell a game, especially a competitive fighting game even music games like IIDX, on consoles for ~8,000円 or the $60 equivalent, when you can charge ¥100 per play in a game center and make more money through events and incremental play? Especially when a lot of people don't actually buy these genre games at launch at full price and wait for sales on console or PC. A lot of people wait for sales rather than the initial price point these games launch at.

I get that Western players are frustrated but they do have a reason for it, especially when westerners, despite saying they want gundam merchandise and gundam games, have proven time and time again that they don't buy into the industry the same way that Asia does.

I get that Western players are frustrated but they do have a reason for it, especially when westerners, despite saying they want gundam merchandise and gundam games, have proven time and time again that they don't buy into the industry the same way that Asia does.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Bebpo

Banned
That's a pretty silly comment.

Gundam is a niche product in the west. Even if every Gundam fan buys the game if localized, that's still only going to be a tiny amount of sales. Anime stuff is always going to be niche in the west outside of pokemon. Mecha even more so. These just aren't popular genre for mainstream America, mostly because they don't match up with mainstream american tastes.

JKTrix

I don't think westerners are even part of the equation for Maxi not getting a home release yet. Like Shun said, it's all about local arcades.

I do remember that there was a gap between Full Boost's PS3 release and the Maxi arcade release. I remember seeing some angry tweets/articles (maybe in this very thread?) showing arcades being barren during that period. They're probably not going to let that happen again. When they have a real new arcade version (maybe 'ON' doesn't count?), the gap between that coming out and Home Maxi will either be inversed, much shorter or nonexistent.

There's also the lesser issue of what platform they'd actually put it on. I understand that PS4 is doing pretty okay in Japan but it's not PS3 numbers (of course). They would probably want a nice fat landing pad to drop the game on when it's ready and they might also be hesitant to put it out on PS3 again. I have no insight into competitive PC gaming in Japan (besides Rise of Incarnates showing up on a laptop in an episode of Ninninjer) but I suspect it's not even as lucrative as the ailing home console market.

Force came out the way it did because it doesn't threaten the current arcade version, and probably because handhelds currently appear more popular in Japan. It sucks that it was gimped that way but it's all $$$$$. I'm sure they've gotten the message from Force's feedback that that's not what we want, though. Hopefully it pushes them to sooner release a proper new arcade version if 'ON' isn't it, so we can get a new Home game.
----
Edit: Just realized 'ON' isn't even out yet. I asked earlier where that image came from, because I didn't think Bandai would straight up say what that image seems to be saying. It also just looked like a pamphlet rather than an official announcement. If ON comes out and we don't hear anything else about a home version around then, then I think we can resume wailing.

Beckx

There's also the lesser issue of what platform they'd actually put it on. I understand that PS4 is doing pretty okay in Japan but it's not PS3 numbers (of course). They would probably want a nice fat landing pad to drop the game on when it's ready and they might also be hesitant to put it out on PS3 again. I have no insight into competitive PC gaming in Japan (besides Rise of Incarnates showing up on a laptop in an episode of Ninninjer) but I suspect it's not even as lucrative as the ailing home console market either.

For the last few weeks, new releases in Japan that have both PS3 and PS4 are selling more on PS4. (See Yakuza Kiwami this week.) The tide is starting to turn in favor of PS4, but it still seems to make sense for Japan releases to be on both since the PS3 sales are still good.

JKTrix

Indeed, and I was trying to think of relevant trends that might point to Bamco doing that too. The only cross-gen Bamco game that immediately comes to mind is J Stars Vs, and that's not the same type of competitive game. Arcsys has put out cross-gen competitive games, but GG at least had some substantial sacrifices on the old version.

Would Bamco go through all that effort in properly balancing both versions? Would they crap out a blatantly inferior PS3 version? We already know that FB was already somewhat limited graphically compared to its arcade version.

I haven't been able to find out in 30 seconds of Googling if Tekken 7 is coming out cross-gen. That might be a good indicator, considering that's a much stronger title for them internationally.

I get the sense that Bandai uses the path of least resistance with Gundam (especially if you take The West into consideration). With that sense, it seems like it would be too much work/money to make two proper versions of this game, even if it means leaving money on the table. Like they'd rather not even put it out at all than invest in 2 versions. But that's just fanfiction.

Beckx

I think Tekken 7 console release is PS4 only but it is still so far away (2017?). I think it's a decently safe bet that companies could rely on PS4 only by then, but we'll see how the year goes.

Yeah, we're probably only going to hear anything when ON launches in March to quell the Game Center concerns. ON appears to be mechanically different enough from Maxi as Maxi was to FB, sooooo we'll see.

On another note, Force was still in the top 15 on Media Create.

Luigi87

I won't give up hope for a PS4 release...

I'm gonna get a TE2+ for PS4 compatibility (thinking of this for the artwork)... and hope Maxi eventually makes its way...

Until then, I really should play more Full Boost. I suck, but... It's so much fun.

1emons

Neo Member
I won't give up hope for a PS4 release...

I'm gonna get a TE2+ for PS4 compatibility (thinking of this for the artwork)... and hope Maxi eventually makes its way...

Until then, I really should play more Full Boost. I suck, but... It's so much fun.
I feel the same way about not playing enough. I don't play multiplayer because I feel like I'll be a detriment to my teammate with my lack of experience/skill, but I'm too good to be challenged by the CPU. lol

I really should have stuck with the multiplayer when the game came out and there were other new players to learn alongside. At least it's still super fun to beat up the CPU.

Luigi87

I hear that. Whenever I know I'm letting my teammate down by making basic mistakes (positioning, getting punished for bad lands, and not landing my hits) I hate myself. Of course playing is the only way to get better really.

Edit: Of course finding rooms is a tad challenging.
I looked at my stats from when I originally played (making the mistake of jumping online and not getting down the fundamentals)... 21.5% Win rate. A part of me kind of wants to make a new account and buy an online pass for a fresh start, lol

Top Bottom