• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gun nuts of GAF. Family photos, nerdy discussions, homebrew loadings, funstore experiences, etc.

I've been planning to buy a Tavor
9mm is going to be your go-to cheap caliber if you want something more capable than .22lr. I know it's a little scarce now, but I guarantee you that all ammo manufacturers are running tripple shifts right now.

I would personally go with a Ruger PC carbine, think a 10/22 Takedown scaled up to 9mm. It will break down into two pieces for easy backpacking, and will accept any double stack Glock mag, including happy sticks. Remember that 9mm out of a 16" barrel performs like .357 mag out of a 6", perfectly acceptable for home defense.

10965_1_.jpg

My wife bought this gun just today. It defaults to Ruger mags but comes with the glock mag well in the box. Easy change, overall she's pretty happy with it. Obviously had to see it with a big ol 33 round glock mag in it.

OFtXY9Y.jpg

Finally got an over under. Don't like wood stocks, always prefer synthetic so pickings were slim but this

Now will need to blast some clays or maybe even a pheasant in the fall...

I used to five stand and tower compete (casually), brilliant fun taking those clays down, but I have to say that is one sexy shotgun. I really like the synthetic stock and that you chose an over under.

Last edited:

OutRun88

Jesus Crist, some of you americans are kinda weird you know that.

I own an Anschütz .22lr for 50m target shooting, thats it.
We(some) love our guns. All shapes and sizes. Zero discrimination.

It's no stretch to say we'd have a large civilian army, well equipped and well trained in shooting, if the need ever came about.

What I own:
Ruger SP101 - 3" variant
Beretta 92X - 10 round clip variant.

What I have fired....HO HO HO knowing good ol boys with strangely amazing connections to some serious fucking shit.
M249 (Haha. i tried to fire without tripod. Shoulder hurt bad lots. Worth it.
M-60 (Belt fed...rambo....this one made reality feel like a movie. I tried to do my best rambo yell. It was fuckin surreal.
AK-47
M-4
40MM launcher (needed new pants after that. fucking forever moment there.)
Sten Gun -GOD DAMN Funkiest ass smg I have ever fired
Full auto vector - I love vectors. They are amazeballs. Full auto gives full mast chub and I don't care if it's noticeable.
A lot of other shit too.

I miss those fucking days.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Durask

My local store got in one of these, while I was thinking whether to buy it or not someone snapped it up.
Not really sure if I really wanted it since at this point I have all the guns I need for self defense and the only ones I am buying are for target shooting and plinking.

Neat gun though.

My local store got in one of these, while I was thinking whether to buy it or not someone snapped it up.
Not really sure if I really wanted it since at this point I have all the guns I need for self defense and the only ones I am buying are for target shooting and plinking.

Neat gun though.

You missed out on some Starship Troopers level in home invasion cosplay.

Durask

I used to five stand and tower compete (casually), brilliant fun taking those clays down, but I have to say that is one sexy shotgun. I really like the synthetic stock and that you chose an over under.

I always prefer synthetic stocks.
Wood looks good but then you scratch it and it does not look so good.

Havoc2049

What’s the deal with snap caps? Worth grabbing a pack? Can’t find ammo for shit.
Snap caps are great for practicing a smooth trigger pull and getting rid of bad habits like recoil anticipation. They will help you tighten up your groups on target. They are also great for practicing immediate action drills due to a weapon malfunction or misfire. Randomly mix in a couple snap caps into a magazine of live rounds.

Kite

Hi GAF gun nuts, my question is for my situation.. is there any reason why I should try and get an AR or the equivalent over a shotgun for home protection? I already have a 9mm pistol loaned from a friend but I'm pretty shitty with it and am not too interested in em.

I did my four yrs in the Army in a pog unit so I know the basics of the m4/M16, m9 and ,m203. That is the limit of my knowledge and interest in guns until now cus of recent events. The ar15 seems like the obvious choice, but my laziness is kicking in.. I know it's easy to shoot accurately and has no recoil, but imagining spending an hour cleaning all the lil nooks and crannies in the bolt carrier group, getting hand cancer from all the clp and messin with those lil cloth squares again each time I return from the range really does not interest me anymore.

A shorter barrel pump shotgun seems easier to maintain and clean though I will have to learn how to shoot and reload, and should have enough range inside a house. I'm curious about the recoil and wonder if it's worse than a 203 grenade launcher. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Durask

IMHO you really do not need to clean AR-15 obssessively, someone did a test when they shot an ungodly number of rounds from an AR without cleaning.
Google "Filthy 14"

You can also get a piston variant.

Also, I think you always should have a handgun, a rifle and a shotgun :messenger_sunglasses:

MetalAlien

Banned
Hi GAF gun nuts, my question is for my situation.. is there any reason why I should try and get an AR or the equivalent over a shotgun for home protection? I already have a 9mm pistol loaned from a friend but I'm pretty shitty with it and am not too interested in em.

I did my four yrs in the Army in a pog unit so I know the basics of the m4/M16, m9 and ,m203. That is the limit of my knowledge and interest in guns until now cus of recent events. The ar15 seems like the obvious choice, but my laziness is kicking in.. I know it's easy to shoot accurately and has no recoil, but imagining spending an hour cleaning all the lil nooks and crannies in the bolt carrier group, getting hand cancer from all the clp and messin with those lil cloth squares again each time I return from the range really does not interest me anymore.

A shorter barrel pump shotgun seems easier to maintain and clean though I will have to learn how to shoot and reload, and should have enough range inside a house. I'm curious about the recoil and wonder if it's worse than a 203 grenade launcher. Any thoughts?
I like a shotgun for home defense way more than an AR... You can taylor the load to minimize over penetration. The AR is something more of a mid range gun. The shotgun will be better in the tight hallways of your home. As for the riots... either but if you want to fight fire with fire get the AR because that seems to be the gun of choice for Antifa.

12 gauge can be mild or brutal to shoot depending on the load and the shotgun you are using. 00Buck in a small pump can sting your hand for sure.

A 12ga pump is a wonderful home defense firearm, don't let anybody tell you it isn't. A Mossberg 500 is the best value in the pump world IMO, with virtually unlimited aftermarket support.

Get an 18" fixed-choke barrel for home defense, and a 24" threaded barrel for hunting and fun. The barrels can be easily removed without tools, and you insert a wooden dowel of appropriate length into the magazine tube to limit capacity as-per local hunting regs.

Just remember that even birdshot will go through drywall, and you should NEVER chamber birdshot in a home defense shotgun. No.4 buckshot is the minimum. It's meant to be a Chad, "FUCK YOU," not a virgin, "I would appreciate it if you got off my property."

IMHO you really do not need to clean AR-15 obssessively, someone did a test when they shot an ungodly number of rounds from an AR without cleaning.
Google "Filthy 14"

You can also get a piston variant.

Also, I think you always should have a handgun, a rifle and a shotgun :messenger_sunglasses:
I clean my guns every time I fire them, but woe be to the white glove that starts poking around in the chamber.

showernota

My ammo supply has been getting pretty dire. I told myself I'll buy some rounds if I can find 223/5.56 for <= 50cpr, but its been like a week and I still haven't found any :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Last edited:

Kite

Thanks for all the advice, the decision was sorta made for me cus I'm obviously way late to the party and all the ARs are sold out everywhere unless I wanna mess around with the online auctions and get price gouged. I was able to snag a Maverick 88 Security with the 18.5 in barrel at a local sports shop for $199. Ammo on the other hand.. #4 turkeyshot was the heaviest they had. I got a box of of that and a few boxes of target/dove shot for practice. It was an interesting day.

J-Roderton

Thanks for all the advice, the decision was sorta made for me cus I'm obviously way late to the party and all the ARs are sold out everywhere unless I wanna mess around with the online auctions and get price gouged. I was able to snag a Maverick 88 Security with the 18.5 in barrel at a local sports shop for $199. Ammo on the other hand.. #4 turkeyshot was the heaviest they had. I got a box of of that and a few boxes of target/dove shot for practice. It was an interesting day.
For what you paid for the gun you could just about get a shot shell reloading press, a lead pot, and a basic set of molds and tools for buckshot from Lyman. Take a knife to pry up the petals of cheap Walmart Target loads, pour out the shot, and recast it to buckshot. Place the buckshot right back into the shells, and press the shells back to a good crimp.

Just make sure you keep the weight of the load the same. An ounce of birdshot and an ounce of 000 buckshot gets pushed down the barrel by the shot cup the exact same way, but that powder charge is designed to shoot an ounce. Fucking with that shot weight can do dangerous things to the chamber pressure.

TL,DR - Roll your own shot shells, and you will only pay $20 for 100 rounds of buckshot if you have the patience and time.

Used-ID

I went to the local Academy store yesterday, and the firearm section was empty. Only thing they had was shotgun ammo. They had like 10 boxes of "cheap" NATO 7.62 ammo....

I've never seen it like that. Ever.

MetalAlien

Banned
Anyone know of any websites that have 9mm FMJ in stock? I Can’t find anything.
Gonna last about 30 minutes probably...

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
Gonna last about 30 minutes probably...

Holy shit on those prices. I Appreciate all the links.

I found a local range that will sell them for 15 for 50 rounds. I will have to burn through them while there but whatever.

Kite

Hi Gun Nuts of Gaf, I'm back. I found a gun store with entry-level AR-15s actually in stock. How badly did I get ripped off for paying $688 for this? Google and various forums say Faxon is known for making good barrels but are new to the whole selling complete rifles thing. If I had a choice I'd have gone with a safer known beginner ARs like the S&W Sport II or the Ruger AR 556 but beggers can't be choosers this late in the game..

My other choice was "Radical Firearms" which seemed like an even better deal but I couldn't get other the name and a quick google search said their reputation was kinda scuffed from an incident from a few years back. The Radicals are still available if anyone needs an AR for around $500-600.

Last edited:

hard_boiled

Neophyte
Hi Gun Nuts of Gaf, I'm back. I found a gun store with entry-level AR-15s actually in stock. How badly did I get ripped off for paying $688 for this? Google and various forums say Faxon is known for making good barrels but are new to the whole selling complete rifles thing. If I had a choice I'd have gone with a safer known beginner ARs like the S&W Sport II or the Ruger AR 556 but beggers can't be choosers this late in the game..

My other choice was "Radical Firearms" which seemed like an even better deal but I couldn't get other the name and a quick google search said their reputation was kinda scuffed from an incident from a few years back. The Radicals are still available if anyone needs an AR for around $500-600.
Especially with the prices of everything right now you did well. If you want some easy & inexpensive upgrades that will make a big long term difference take a look at magpul rubberized pistol grips & a stock replacement like the Bravo B5 or MOE-SL. Both of those stocks have a significantly better cheek weld than the A2 stock that will come with that rifle.
For a scope an LPVO is ideal. Vortex Optics makes some great ones. You can buy irons, but they take a lot of practice & are less forgiving than an optic. Look into how to lubricate the BCG correctly. If you can hear it snapping or dragging as it cycles, it needs to be lubricated.

OutRun88

Does anyone have any experience shooting the Ruger AR-556 and S&W Sport II? Just curious what your take is on the two rifles.

Top Bottom