• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gun nuts of GAF. Family photos, nerdy discussions, homebrew loadings, funstore experiences, etc.

My personal collection.

Rifles
M1A Scout Squad
S&W M&P 15 gen 1
Marlin 1895 Guide in stainless
Marlin 336
Ruger 10/22 Takedown
WW2 production Mosin Nagant
Sporterized (Bastardized) Lee Enfield Mk 4
Kel Tek Sub 2000 in 9mm
Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 caliber with a 1-60 twist roundball barrel

Shotguns
Stephens 20 ga break-open
Mossberg 500 12ga

Pistols
Taurus model 85 .38 spl
S&W SD40VE in .40 S&W
S&W Shield Gen 2 in 9mm
Pietta Reminton 1858 clone

Whatcha got GAF? Whatcha want? My personal boner generator is a Petersoli 1874 Sharps reproduction, but I cannot justify $1700 on a rifle I'm unwilling to take into the woods.

I'm thinking about getting into the 20" AR game. PSA has a 20" barreled upper with BCG, charging handle, and A2 irons for $320.

One of these days I would like to get a huge hard case where I could store 2 lowers, and the following uppers.

.22lr bolt insert
16" 5.56×45 carbine
20" 5.56x45 rifle
Something in .300 Blackout
Something in .458 Socom

Throw in a shotgun for bird hunting, and there isn't game in North America that you couldn't take just with that setup alone.

I have finally come to the conclusion that I'll be updating my EDC pistol to a Glock 29. With a grip sleeve I can use the 15 round G20 mags and get the same full grip of the G20, which for a 10mm is desireable to say the least. I'll fanny-pack carry for the sake of comfort, and for the sake of concealing a pistol of that size.

Been looking to finally start going inna'woods, and would prefer a 10mm as a sidearm in case the Porcine Menace is encountered up close.

rykomatsu

Nothing major...

Anderson Mfg AR15 (with bullet button :messenger_neutral:)
Remington Model 700

Looking to get a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite...looks like a fun little plinking handgun.

rykomatsu

Had to look this one up. What in tarnation, California? Ten round mags and you can't mag release with your bare hands?

Got worse after I left CA. If you don't want to register your AR in CA, they now requires a fixed mag that can only be removed after the firearm is disassembled.

Basically, need to remove the takedown pin, open up the upper receiver, then drop the magazine now :rolleyes:

So many cool guns out there, but being in CA severely limits any options.

If we ever actually get around to moving out of state I'm going to go broke buying all the toys that have been withheld from me for so long!

TheUsual

Gold Member
My dad is really big into this stuff and I did some competitive shooting with him years back at Camp Perry, Ohio.
We both shot M1-Garands and we shot a match with M1903 Springfields. Really fun stuff to do but haven't had time or own my own house (live in Chicago and so many places want no firearms).

Really like the M1903: something about that bolt action goodness. The match had the rapid fire portion which was like 10 rounds in 70 seconds if i recall correctly. Doesn't sound like a lot in comparison to today's firearms, but remember you're dealing with bolt action rifle and 5 round stripper clips.

Secesh

Carry my trusty 43 daily but as soon as the Shield Arms 15 round mags become more readily available I’m going to use my yearly GSSF coupon for a 43x.

All my other guns got lost in a tragic boating accident

Eyeron

Day one

irFLOZU.jpg

Last edited:

rob305

This is what I have:
S&W M&P15 S2 (AR-15 with 5.56)
Colt M4 (.22)
Mossberg 500 shotgun w/ tactical stock (12 gauge)
Taurus PT111 G2 (9mm)

Not a gun nut yet. Only have a Taurus 605 ATM. Although, with the way things are going, I'm looking for a rifle to purchase the middle of next year.

Last edited:

So I sold my Beretta 92FS and finally jumping into the ARs. Buying an AR-15 from a buddy but ill need to add a rail system to it. Looking to do as much FDE as possible. Looking for another upper and stock to make it a 8.5 inch 300BLK out AR Pistol. That was my original goal and was trying to build one but things are a bit scarce right now.

So far I've loaned out 3 guns to friends. If there's any silver lining to this insanity it's that I think liberals have been slapped upside the head with the necessity of the 2nd Amendment. I don't think we'll have much popular support for gun control when people's lives are being burned to the ground.

So far I've loaned out 3 guns to friends. If there's any silver lining to this insanity it's that I think liberals have been slapped upside the head with the necessity of the 2nd Amendment. I don't think we'll have much popular support for gun control when people's lives are being burned to the ground.

For sure, I’ve seen lots of people loading up that normally wouldn’t. This is the perfect example of why guns are needed.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'm pretty new to guns myself, only have bolt action 270 that my dad and I restored (I'm restoring an old lever action right now as well), but I really enjoy them.

Any insights from more experienced users on some next steps would be great. Mostly used for hunting and just general shooting.

Was looking at getting a 22 for my girls to learn on but haven't really decided on that yet.

I'm pretty new to guns myself, only have bolt action 270 that my dad and I restored (I'm restoring an old lever action right now as well), but I really enjoy them.

Any insights from more experienced users on some next steps would be great. Mostly used for hunting and just general shooting.

Was looking at getting a 22 for my girls to learn on but haven't really decided on that yet.
The AR platform is the Great American Rifle at this point. I never understood the love for the AR until I got one, in 5.56/.223 it's good for deer, paper, varmint, tyrants, and small predators. Changing out the upper gives you access to .300 Blackout, and .458 SOCOM, ballistically similar to 7.62x39 and .45-70 respectively. Those calibers also use the same magazines, as .300 Blackout is just a cut 5.56 case with a .30 caliber bullet seated, and .458 SOCOM uses standard AR mags as a single-stack. The biggest question for where to go next is what exactly do you want to shoot, and at what range?

Concerning .22lr I will always recommend a Ruger 10/22 at age 5 or 50 if somebody wants to learn how to shoot. Rock solid reliable, accurate enough as a semi-auto, and zero recoil. Do not be like a 20 year old me buying a Mosin as my first rifle, trying to teach myself marksmanship with 7.62x54R. It took me years to unlearn all the bad habits I picked up with that glorious Commie piece of shit.

Edit - Concerning your girls get the 10/22, and a 5000 found bucket of ammo. If you have the means to sign up for basic marksmanship training for the whole family go for it. After your girls are comfortable, and having fun with the 10/22 give them the .270 and lever action (i assume it's a .30-30) to start teaching them about recoil control.

Last edited:

Durask

if hunting and general shooting your bolt action should be enough? I assume you are happy with the accuracy?

For plinking I'd suggest MP 15-22.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Don't really plan on getting a large arsenal; more focused on a small and practical collection of pieces I use.

S&W M&P 15 (got the bare bones with the intention of modding it myself bit by bit when funds were available but a divorce and the work situation hasn't let me add anything new to it yet).
S&W M&P 9
S&W Shield for my EDC (thinking about getting the new model sometime soon)
Remmy 12 gauge pump

My friend bought a bunch of land in WY this spring and we're planning on setting up a nice move-and-shoot tactics course in July. If we actually finish I'll post some pics :messenger_winking:

Durask

Gun thread. Nice.

I only stock 4 calibers: 12g, 22LR, .223, and 9mm.

How about you guys?

17 HMR - prefer it for plinking to 22lr
9 mm
45 acp
38 special
Don't stock 12 and 20 gauge because at the place where I shoot clays you have to buy ammo from them.

I do have a couple of boxes of 00 buck and also 20 gauge sabot slugs (have a bolt action shotgun, long story).

Last edited:

Corderlain

Banned
With 9mm, 5.56, and 223 rem being basically on back order and only a few boxes allowed per purchase what would you guys say would be a decent range gun/plinker that's bigger than a 22? Definitely looking for rifle style and partial to an ak-esque platform. Also maybe like a hiking gun. I don't really hunt but some safety on trails would be nice. Oklahoma and Colorado gun laws apply.

With 9mm, 5.56, and 223 rem being basically on back order and only a few boxes allowed per purchase what would you guys say would be a decent range gun/plinker that's bigger than a 22? Definitely looking for rifle style and partial to an ak-esque platform. Also maybe like a hiking gun. I don't really hunt but some safety on trails would be nice. Oklahoma and Colorado gun laws apply.
9mm is going to be your go-to cheap caliber if you want something more capable than .22lr. I know it's a little scarce now, but I guarantee you that all ammo manufacturers are running tripple shifts right now.

I would personally go with a Ruger PC carbine, think a 10/22 Takedown scaled up to 9mm. It will break down into two pieces for easy backpacking, and will accept any double stack Glock mag, including happy sticks. Remember that 9mm out of a 16" barrel performs like .357 mag out of a 6", perfectly acceptable for home defense.

10965_1_.jpg

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
9mm is going to be your go-to cheap caliber if you want something more capable than .22lr. I know it's a little scarce now, but I guarantee you that all ammo manufacturers are running tripple shifts right now.

I would personally go with a Ruger PC carbine, think a 10/22 Takedown scaled up to 9mm. It will break down into two pieces for easy backpacking, and will accept any double stack Glock mag, including happy sticks. Remember that 9mm out of a 16" barrel performs like .357 mag out of a 6", perfectly acceptable for home defense.

10965_1_.jpg
Why not go for the .40 S&W over the 9mm? (outside ammo cost)

Why not go for the .40 S&W over the 9mm? (outside ammo cost)
For slightly higher ammo costs you can go with 10mm which is the parent case for .40S&W. 10mm is ballistically similar to .357 mag, with snappy recoil to match. .40S&W is honestly a dying cartridge along with .45ACP, better powders have allowed 9mm to become much more capable than it was in the 80's, and 10mm outperforms all other common American semi-auto chamberings.

I'm not saying .40S&W is a worthless cartridge, hell I have one. Just don't expect a whole lot of innovation out of it in the coming years. 10mm is coming back in a bit way, ironicly it can be argued that Hi-Point's $400 10mm carbine they released 2 years ago brought 10mm back from the brink.

Top Bottom