• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guinness announces the Top 50 videogame characters of all time.

Do you agree with this list?

• Yes

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 79 72.5%

• Total voters

Aion002

No Mortal Kombat characters... 3 CoD characters...

comedy lol GIF by CBC

You won't know who they really are if you came through Nintendo route, I'm sorry but it ain't gonna happen, history have proven that Nintendo gamers have pushed their selfishness through the roof with their half@$$ characters. You could even ask Shigeru Miyamoto himself and he will tell you these characters aren't meant to be legit and believable , they are fake at heart , so quit pretending they aren't.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Zelda’s NPCs should count Link doesn’t even talk and he’s #2, Mario #1 isn’t wrong. Master Chief I’ll allow kept dealing with Cortona, saving humanity.

Today games have “create your character” options, everyone says Shepard from mass effect is relevant.

Commander Shepard N7 GIF by Mass Effect

TDiddyLive

You won't know who they really are if you came through Nintendo route, I'm sorry but it ain't gonna happen, history have proven that Nintendo gamers have pushed their selfishness through the roof with their half@$$ characters. You could even ask Shigeru Miyamoto himself and he will tell you these characters aren't meant to be legit and believable , they are fake at heart , so quit pretending they aren't.
dcOpRO5.jpg

Danknugz

Im not sure the criteria of this list, but if Link is #2 not sure how Zelda is so low, the game is literally called The Legend of Zelda. Hell some casual gamers even think Link is Zelda lol

Not sure I remember Captain Price or any protagonists from any CoD games.

List seems pointless even have non gaming first characters!
i literally thought the legend of zelda meant you were playing as zelda all the way through childhood right up until a few years ago.

Will this give more credential to the character? I don't think so, people remember mario through the fun that they had with their friends and family, characters spirits and legitimacy are more of a personal thing or in a debatable topics , that's it , not outside of these mediums.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Before clicking this thread, I was thinking Mario, Link, Chief. Spot on. I'm surprised Ryu is so low.

1. Mario (Donkey Kong, Nintendo, 1981)
2. Link (The Legend of Zelda, Nintendo, 1986)
3. Master Chief (Halo: Combat Evolved, Microsoft, 2001)

I think Ryu is that low due to Street Fighter being kinda irrelevant in the modern gaming landscape. the rest all had recent big selling/scoring games, SF seems kinda lost right now.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
But the call of duty vanguard developers said there’s no memorable characters in the the series

Kokoro2020

Not a bad list. I've seen worse. Though, Mario is not even my favorite Mario character, let alone favorite video game character of all time. Though, I still understand putting Mario at the top, since gaming wouldn't be the same today without Mario.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Top 50 videogame characters of all time

1. Mario (Donkey Kong, Nintendo, 1981)
2. Link (The Legend of Zelda, Nintendo, 1986)
3. Master Chief (Halo: Combat Evolved, Microsoft, 2001)
4. Solid Snake (Metal Gear, Konami, 1987)
5. Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII, Square, 1997)
6. PAC-Man (PAC-Man, Namco, 1980)
7. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider, Eidos 1996)
8. Gordon Freeman (Half-Life, Valve, 1998 )
9. Kratos (God of War, Sony, 2005)
10. Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog, Sega, 1990)
11. Crash (Crash Bandicoot, Sony, 1996)
12. “Soap” MacTavish (Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Activision, 2007)
13. Nico Bellic (Grand Theft Auto IV, Rockstar, 2008 )
14. Samus Aran (Metroid, Nintendo 1986)
15. Ratchet (Ratchet & Clank, Sony, 2002)
16. Nathan Drake (Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, Sony, 2007)
17. Captain Price (Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Activision, 2007)
18. Kirby (Kirby’s Dream Land, Nintendo, 1992)
19. Marcus Fenix (Gears of War, Microsoft, 2006)
20. Pikachu (Pokemon Red/Green, Nintendo 1996)

What do you think?

The remaining 20 are:

21. Yoshi (Super Mario World, Nintendo, 1990)
22. “CJ” Johnson (Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Rockstar, 2004)
23. Mega Man (Mega Man, Capcom, 1987)
24. Sam Fisher (Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell, Ubisoft, 2002)
25. Shadow (Sonic Adventure 2, Sega, 2001)
26. Jak (Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Sony, 2001)
27. Duke Nukem (Duke Nukem, Apogee, 1991)
28. Dante (Devil May Cry, Bandai, 2003)
29. Naruto (Naruto: Konoha Ninpoch, Bandai, 2003)
30. Altair (Assassin’s Creed, Ubisoft, 2007)
31. Zelda (The Legend of Zelda, Nintendo, 1986)
32. Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII, Square, 1997)
33. Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong, Nintendo, 1981)
34. The Prince (Prince of Persia, Broderbund, 1989)
35. Ezio (Assassin’s Creed II, Ubisoft, 2009)
36. Leon S (Biohazard/ Resident Evil, Capcom, 1996)
37. Ash Ketchum (Pokemon Red/Green, Nintendo, 1996)
38. Guybrush Threepwood (The Secret of Monkey Island, LucasArts, 1990)
39. Spyro (Spyro the Dragon, Universal, 1998)
40. “Ghost” Riley (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, Activision, 2009)
41. Goku (Dragon Daihikyoe, Epoch, 1987)
42. Max Payne (Max Payne, Rockstar, 2001)
43. Jill Valentine (Biohazard/ Resident Evil, Capcom, 1996)
44. Princess Peach (Super Mario Bros., Nintendo, 1985)
45. Larry Laffer (Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards, Sierra, 1987)
46. Augustus Cole (Gears of War, Microsoft, 2006)
47. Bowser (Super Mario Bros., Nintendo, 1985)
48. Eddie Riggs (Brutal Legend, EA, 2009)
49. Ryu (Street Fighter, Capcom, 1987)
50. Sackboy (LIttleBigPlanet, Sony, 2008)

It seems their only criteria is to be from a best selling video game, rather than a character that's actually good. How can I tell this? There are TWO Call of Duty characters, and Marcus Fenix.
3 COD characters......terrible list. Make it top 20 and call it a day

No Mortal Kombat characters... 3 CoD characters...

comedy lol GIF by CBC

Exactly! This can be a 2011 list. But since 1992 almost everyone in gaming can recognize the yellow and blue ninjas. You cant be a gamer or be on internet without ever seeing them at least one time. And I go further, mk it's one of the franchises with the most know characters. Almost everyone can say a list of characters or at least know it's from mk or fighting game

donfonzie

Release a Soap game and release a Ryu game and compare sales, player counts and social media interactions 💁
Leisure suit larry is ranked higher than Ryu. According to your logic, a new Larry game will have more sales and importance than a new Street Fighter game?

The list is not based on number of sales, player counts, or social media interactions otherwise Mario would not be at first position.

Call of duty games are popular because of their multiplayer, not because of its characters. A Call of Duty game without Soap McTavish might sell the same, but if Ryu is missing from a Street Fighter game, that will definitely be more impactful.

Top Bottom