• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear -Strive- Gameplay (Sol vs. Nagoriyuki, Ky vs. Giovanna, Axl vs. Ramlethal) + Screenshots!

Arc System Works has released three new gameplay videos of Guilty Gear: Strive featuring Sol Badguy versus Nagoriyuki, Ky Kiske versus Giovanna, and Axl Low versus Ramlethal.

The footage highlights the following new skills:

Sol Badguy – “Heavy Mob Cemetery”

An extremely powerful and invincible rush attack with long reach in which Sol transforms into a monstrous figure and attacks. Since timing is not an issue, you can easily activate it between the opponent’s attacks.

Guilty-Gear-Strive_2021_02-09-21_001.jpg

Guilty-Gear-Strive_2021_02-09-21_002.jpg

Ky Kiske – “Dragon Install”

Just like “Heavy Mob Cemetery,” this skill transforms Ky into a monstrous figure, but significantly strengthens a number of his specials. It also emits a shockwave upon activation that blows back the opponent, so hitting them at the edge of the screen can trigger a wall break that moves the battle to a new area.

Guilty-Gear-Strive_2021_02-09-21_003.jpg

Guilty-Gear-Strive_2021_02-09-21_004.jpg

Axl Low – “One Vision”

Manipulates time and stops the opponent for a limited amount of time. This attack stops the opponent when the command is input a second time via a prepared motion. The stop attack can even be activated in mid-air and derive from any skill including specials.

Guilty-Gear-Strive_2021_02-09-21_005.jpg

Guilty-Gear-Strive_2021_02-09-21_006.jpg

Guilty Gear: Strive is due out for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and PC via Steam on April 9. The Deluxe and Ultimate Editions will launch for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 three days in advance on April 6. A console open beta test will run from February 18 to 21. Read more about the game here and here.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Axl definitely looks interesting, too bad i've always been terrible with him(besides not being all that interested in his gameplay til now). Giovanna/Rei'ls animations are just so awesome. That Polar bear stage looks great too. NAGORIYUKI's Blood rage activation can happen at very unfortunate moments lol. And that HP just melts when it does. They gave him that Slayer pose. Definitely some of the more exciting looking stuff shown thus far.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The gameplay looks awesome. It appears that there’s a lot more focus on short jumps or am I just seeing things? Sol isn’t jumping that high with his moves. I like the flow of the combat as it looks to flow a lot smoother than in previous titles.

Life

The amount of COUNTER staggers reminds me of SF5 crushes. Fucking hated that shit. But at least GG gives you plenty of mobility - hopefully it won't hurt the game as much.

Many of the game's backgrounds, though attractive, look out of place, as if they were meant for a different project. The resulting dissonance between the fighting, music, and pretty landscapes is distracting. More generally, the game continues to look great, but for whatever reason, this new entry just hasn't grabbed me.

Fake

The amount of COUNTER staggers reminds me of SF5 crushes. Fucking hated that shit. But at least GG gives you plenty of mobility - hopefully it won't hurt the game as much.

I noted that. Break some of the immersion.

Many of the game's backgrounds, though attractive, look out of place, as if they were meant for a different project. The resulting dissonance between the fighting, music, and pretty landscapes is distracting. More generally, the game continues to look great, but for whatever reason, this new entry just hasn't grabbed me.
I'm not sure what you mean by the dissonance. It all looks pretty cohesive to me.

Labolas

No im talking about "Ark":

Same stiff animations compared to their peers like always.

Dude, come off it already. We get it, you think SNK games are the bestest evar. Saying that GG's animations stiff comes off an elitist fanboy. If you really want stiff animations, yes, NRS's games are the games you want to talk about. As high budget as they are, they look janky as fuck.

I'm not sure what you mean by the dissonance. It all looks pretty cohesive to me.
For example: two future warriors fighting to fast rock music against the backdrop of a coffee shop, inside what could almost pass as a modern, Japanese shopping center, where none of the bystanders are paying any attention. Beyond maintaining a consistent color palette, the various visuals elements creating the scene fail to mesh. In general, a good number of the backgrounds express a fairly calm atmosphere, at odds with the combatants and music. As previously mentioned, the backgrounds are attractive, but some almost seem like they were intended for a different project.

Last edited:

Pejo

The Axl/Ram fight was super frustrating to watch. The game overall looks better than the last time I saw it, but I guess we'll see. I need to see a few more matches before I decide.

Last edited:
For example: two future warriors fighting to fast rock music against the backdrop of a coffee shop, inside what could almost pass as a modern, Japanese shopping center, where none of the bystanders are paying any attention. Beyond maintaining a consistent color palette, the various visuals elements creating the scene fail to mesh. In general, a good number of the backgrounds express a fairly calm atmosphere, at odds with the combatants and music. As previously mentioned, the backgrounds are attractive, but some almost seem like they were intended for a different project.
Guilty Gear stage backgrounds have been like this before. The bear in the coffee shop does occasionally react to the fighters.

Guilty Gear stage backgrounds have been like this before. The bear in the coffee shop does occasionally react to the fighters.
The series' history is now long enough to have created a variety of background settings, but those on display so far in Strive are especially passive. In a more general sense, there's a softness to the visual direction in this newest entry, encompassing everything from character designs to color choice, which I find at odds with the franchise and plays into certain backgrounds failing to mesh.

As for the bear, he only occasionally yawns in an exaggerated fashion, while as the stage perspective tilts and the characters' position shifts, he continues staring off into the unknown distance. Other bystanders on the stage don't react at all, similarly for the stage's first progression by the subway; one couple at the coffee shop may provide some notice, but it seems to be a scripted routine, leaving them occasionally pointing at nothing. It's all very awkward, though it could certainly get fixed by release.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I don't feel like they did Dogevanna justice in that fight sequence. Also, I wish Ky's lightning bolt was blue instead of yellow/red.
Honestly I don't think she's all that great a character. Her visual design is pretty boring and she looks like a bog standard rushdown character even with the dog. Her install also looks pretty lame as for as the visuals go. Nothing about her really pops. She's like the complete opposite of the overly designed and super busy Nagoriyuki but at least he has stuff that makes you want to give him a whirl in training mode.

I’ve never been a fan of the Guilty Gear series gameplay or aesthetic or sound... but it’s hard to deny how vital this game feels/looks.
Capcom should take note. SF3 was one of the most visually arresting and stylistically forward fighting games ever.
SFV is as visually generic as something like Fortnite.

Arc is killing it.

Top Bottom