• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 coming to Steam next week

Draugoth

Gold Member

Guild Wars 2 is coming to Steam on August 23! The base game is completely free all the way to max level--wishlist it now and we'll see you in game on the 23rd!

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

People still playing this? I was always semi interested but not enough to install their launcher.
It's still a top 10 MMO. Silent majority and all that.

If they weren't so stubborn about not putting it on consoles then they could have been a serious contender to ESO. They've finally changed their mind about Steam though so there's still hope.

manfestival

That is so interesting seeing all of that stuff I have seen pop up on social media as of late. Maybe it was some sorta marketing push or whatever. The game does seem to have a pretty healthy sized community and it does garner quite a bit of love. I only played the game till about like level 30 back when it first came out but that was ages ago. I might give it a go again just to try it out with all of the praise I have seen about it.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It's a great MMO with tons of content.
If you never played it, this could be a great time to try it.

th4tguy

So hyped for this game before it came out. Wasn't until release that I realized there was no trinity system and PVE content was pretty chaotic/ non strategic. Ruined it for me.

I always wanted to give this a shot, but that crazy Twitter lady being a lead designer for the game made me stay far away. But I heard she was fired (finally) so maybe I'll give the Steam client a go.

RespawnX

I always wanted to give this a shot, but that crazy Twitter lady being a lead designer for the game made me stay far away. But I heard she was fired (finally) so maybe I'll give the Steam client a go.
She never was lead and neither at GW2. She worked on a cancelled project. Hope you don’t consume any other product crazy people involved, like smartphones produced in autocratic countries or fuel from shitty companies fucking up our environment. In comparison we can agree that a bitchy employee is less a problem?

So hyped for this game before it came out. Wasn't until release that I realized there was no trinity system and PVE content was pretty chaotic/ non strategic. Ruined it for me.

As GW2 has more dynamic battle than most other MMOs. It took people a while to get used to it. Since the first expansion there is more or less a role system with damage, support and heal but it‘s far more dynamic and fluid than other MMOs as same ad the battles are. Wont say that there is a holy (who declared this shit holy?) trinity but sort of such a system. Focus is more on movement, timing and mechanics. For most of the endgame you basically dont need any primary heal if people know their shit.

Horizontal progression system is still king. You can drop out and come back a year later without worry about gear. Simoly focus on gameplay and new content. They always struggled a bit with regular content for core player base but as new player you get a shitload to do. Game is in very good shape.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve met several people who played this game religiously. I tried getting into it, but I couldn’t do it. For me personally the aesthetics of WoW/FF are far more important. Guild Wars fans are no joke. I knew one guy who read the novels. I couldn’t get into it and then their writer was crazy, right? I always felt like this was someone else’s WoW since it didn’t cost anything to play. I played the beta and a couple months after it launched. I’ve seen people with maxed character screens.

Had a great time with the game 2013 - 2015. I think my gameplay time clocked like 1200+ hours, crafted 4 legendary weapons, made bunch of online friends that we still talk to each other nowadays.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Not being able to use my old account (and characters) on Steam is a deal breaker. Although, who am I kidding, the lack of trinity roles killed my interest in this long ago.

She never was lead and neither at GW2. She worked on a cancelled project. Hope you don’t consume any other product crazy people involved, like smartphones produced in autocratic countries or fuel from shitty companies fucking up our environment. In comparison we can agree that a bitchy employee is less a problem?
Knowing she had nothing to do with GW2 is even better news, so thanks for clearing that up. Still, she was an outspoken psycho employed at ArenaNet (who falsely accused innocent folks at least twice), and if it actually upsets you that I decided not to support them because of that reason then... okay, I guess?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I remember I bought this game at launch. The very last PC game I bought physically and it had a cool box and box art.

Pejo

Not being able to use my old account (and characters) on Steam is a deal breaker. Although, who am I kidding, the lack of trinity roles killed my interest in this long ago.
I was pretty much going to make this exact post. I can't believe this game has survived as long as it has without the trinity though, that's impressive in and of itself. I remember like half a decade or more ago doing the stupid jumping puzzles in this game. I'd try it out again on Steam if I could use my old account. But actually, I don't even know which email address I had it tied to anymore.

Stamps1646

Forced to re-buy the expansions again and start fresh if you use the Steam version is a huge turn off for me.

I wanted to move away from the NCSoft/ArenaNet Launcher

This is such a backwards way of supporting the PC market ArenaNet, this only benefits new players.

Will I be able to play with my friends if they have a Steam account and I don't?​

Yes. The game and experience between the two different types of accounts will be exactly the same. Players who have an account registered through the website or through Steam will be able to play together as the game is identical and use the same servers. The only difference is how players login.

Can I transfer my current Guild Wars 2 account to Steam?​

No, you cannot transfer a Guild Wars 2 account created through the Guild Wars 2 website to Steam and vice versa.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Dang I remember I was a major fan of the first one and actually bought this thing one. Unfortunately due to my circumstances it was the wrong time and I never put a lot of time into this but assuming it runs well enough on the steam deck I may go back and forth between PC and affordable. On a side note I get my steam deck tomorrow!

Soltype

Haven't played since the first expansion, considered jumping back in on steam but I can't use my old characters, wonder why?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In an era of cross-save on different platforms, they really couldn't link the steam version to your existing account? Seems like a big fuck you for no reason.
This definitely has to be something contractual. Square Enix does the same thing with Final Fantasy XIV, and it drives me up the wall.

I guess maybe Valve doesn't want people to have an option of playing the game on Steam for free and having a way for people to buy the expansions outside of Steam where they don't get a cut.

RespawnX

Knowing she had nothing to do with GW2 is even better news, so thanks for clearing that up. Still, she was an outspoken psycho employed at ArenaNet (who falsely accused innocent folks at least twice), and if it actually upsets you that I decided not to support them because of that reason then... okay, I guess?

It doesn't upset me. My point was that there are hundreds of people working in these studios and you are unlikely to agree with everyone's attitude (after all, she was sacked for her behaviour). On the other hand, there are companies that follow even more questionable philosophies - at the executive level. Sounded harsher than it was meant to be.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Why does it matter for you guys if you can use steam or not? You have survived without for like ten years I'm sure you guys will still be fine.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Why does it matter for you guys if you can use steam or not? You have survived without for like ten years I'm sure you guys will still be fine.
Not a dealbreaker for me, I'll just go back to ignoring this game like I always have for the past decade. This game and I have a weird relationship where I think "I'd love to get into an MMO, but I hate the monthly subscriptions" - so I end up going back to Guild Wars 2. Sometimes I'll play for a few weeks and think "I should pick up the latest expansion" - then I do, and get tired of the game a week later before even starting (or barely starting) that one. And the cycle continues.

So I own the game and all of it's expansions already. Would have been nice to just easily download the client from Steam and log in, is all. If I had it on Steam I could see it next to all my other games that I'm currently playing, making it easy to install and play - instead of going to their website, signing in, clicking on the confirmation email, downloading the client, finding out the download only downloads the program that downloads the game, running that to download the actual game, logging into the game itself (and going through 2FA), and then playing.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I remember the release of this, was super hyped as I was a huge fan of the original, had all these promised rewards due to the Hall of Monuments in GW1...

But in the end it just wasn't for me... something was just wrong with GW2, and I naturally moved on very quickly.

Forgot all about it until now.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This definitely has to be something contractual. Square Enix does the same thing with Final Fantasy XIV, and it drives me up the wall.

I guess maybe Valve doesn't want people to have an option of playing the game on Steam for free and having a way for people to buy the expansions outside of Steam where they don't get a cut.

Valve let publishers generate Steam key for free to sell with 0% cut so that's unlikely the case.

Tams

I've played a bit. The world is decent and very big but very cliché. The gameplay is pretty solid. The weapons, abilities, and roles are all interesting. And I love the concept art.

But the stories are cringey shit. The character models are low res and cringey fanservice. The dialogue is dire, anime dub level. It put me off completely in the end.

It's a shame, as I pre-ordered it. I supported it because I prefer that payment model, even for MMOs (unless it is a really cheap subscription, I'm not going to play).

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not a dealbreaker for me, I'll just go back to ignoring this game like I always have for the past decade. This game and I have a weird relationship where I think "I'd love to get into an MMO, but I hate the monthly subscriptions" - so I end up going back to Guild Wars 2. Sometimes I'll play for a few weeks and think "I should pick up the latest expansion" - then I do, and get tired of the game a week later before even starting (or barely starting) that one. And the cycle continues.

So I own the game and all of it's expansions already. Would have been nice to just easily download the client from Steam and log in, is all. If I had it on Steam I could see it next to all my other games that I'm currently playing, making it easy to install and play - instead of going to their website, signing in, clicking on the confirmation email, downloading the client, finding out the download only downloads the program that downloads the game, running that to download the actual game, logging into the game itself (and going through 2FA), and then playing.
I have the same problem.

I really want to like the game, but the closed skill system just kills it for me.

I pop in once in a while, find some fun, find something that ruins it, pop off.

Getting it on steam wouldn't change a thing though. Still the same

Lillie

I'm really annoyed you cant continue your progress from your current account on the steam client, TBH I think it's a complete joke of a decision

Top Bottom