• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games is confirming that Nixxes Software is working on updates for Horizon Zero Dawn PC

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There are a lot of speculation (or wishes?) from some people that Nixxes Software isn't working on Playstation PC games, but Guerrilla's tweet is indicating that Nixxes Software is indeed working (with them) on the updates for Horizon Zero Dawn PC.

FrankWza

The There are a lot of speculation (or wishes?)
Hbo Whats He Doing GIF by SuccessionHBO

skit_data

Virtuos must’ve really fucked up big time.

Not only does Guerilla Games themselves have to step in and fix stuff, but also Nixxes.

And the core fans on PS5 got a simple frame unlock a year into the consoles life 😂
Maybe because the game was released on PS4 over half a decade ago and it ran perfectly and fully optimized for its hardware while the PC version came out a lot more recently with issues and they have been doing these updates to clean up Sony's messy original PC release. It's not like the game is running badly on PS platforms or something like that.

This idea that somehow developers need to graphically update and optimize all games they released before for free is such a weird thing to demand, honestly.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
And the core fans on PS5 got a simple frame unlock a year into the consoles life 😂
It applies the same to console gaming in general. And PC is more powerful hardware, it supposed to run games better visually.
Expect console version to receive the same upgrade as PC is not realistic.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Maybe because the game was released on PS4 over half a decade ago and it ran perfectly and fully optimized for its hardware while the PC version came out with issues and they have been doing these updates because of that. It's not like the game is running badly on PS platforms or something like that.

This idea that somehow developers need to graphically update and optimize all games they released before for free is such a weird thing to demand, honestly.

The PC version has quite a lot of graphical upgrades vs the PS4 version that the PS5 should be able to handle, such as better draw dsitance, better vegetation and whatever else. The PS5 deserves better, thats a fact. Saying otherwise is stupid.

Midn1ght

The PC version has quite a lot of graphical upgrades vs the PS4 version that the PS5 should be able to handle, such as better draw dsitance, better vegetation and whatever else. The PS5 deserves better, thats a fact. Saying otherwise is stupid.

Foliage/Grass interaction is a big one on PC for me, a shame they did not add it on PS5 and even in Forbidden West if I'm not wrong.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well yeah, when Sony announced the nixxes purchase they specifically stated it was a for pc ports.

This is a good thing because it keeps GG engineers and QA people focused on horizon 2 instead of wasting six months fixing PC issues like they did last year potentially delaying horizon 2 on consoles. They literally had to announce they were done fixing issues after six months because it was getting too much.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Keep mixxes pumping those PC ports. We really need them to implement checkerboard rendering on all Sony PC ports across all other upscaling solutions

I'd rather play these games at 2160CB vs native 1440p.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Foliage/Grass interaction is a big one on PC for me, a shame they did not add it on PS5 and even in Forbidden West if I'm not wrong.

Yeah I wanted to replay it but I already own it on ps4 and was hoping I could just boot up the ps5 and have improved visuals. Maybe they'll reconsider before West is released, if not, then I may have to double dip I guess.

But this game never released on PS5? And Sony doesn't have the obligation to make a PS5 upgrade for a game that came out and we paid for 6 years ago on a different platform just because they now have better hardware...and all that for free. Expecting these companies to do these free game upgrades and for free is weird.

I get you're saying all that specifically for this game since there's already a PC version...but it's still not like flicking a switch. They'd still need time to work on that PS5 version...and Sony is never investing on that specially for free. Don't forget this game is already on PS Plus Collection...PS Now...it was also given for free (not even attached to their subscription services) through their Play At Home initiative, etc...

Sony is remaking a 2013 AAA game as we speak and will sell it at full price. You're asking for a free upgrade to a game you paid for in 2016. I'd love to get what you're asking for but it's never going to happen.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Maybe because the game was released on PS4 over half a decade ago and it ran perfectly and fully optimized for its hardware while the PC version came out a lot more recently with issues and they have been doing these updates to clean up Sony's messy original PC release. It's not like the game is running badly on PS platforms or something like that.

The game did release with some performance issues, but those were fixed almost a year ago.
Now we are just getting improvements that make the game even better. Support for DLSS 2.3.5.0 and FSR is great to increase performance.
And yes, it's for free. As any patch should be. Only on PlayStation do people pay for an mere patch.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
But this game never released on PS5? And Sony doesn't have the obligation to make a PS5 upgrade for a game that came out and we paid for 6 years ago on a different platform just because they now have better hardware...and all that for free. Expecting these companies to do these free game upgrades and for free is weird.

I get you're saying all that specifically for this game since there's already a PC version...but it's still not like flicking a switch. They'd still need time to work on that PS5 version...and Sony is never investing on that specially for free. Don't forget this game is already on PS Plus Collection...PS Now...it was also given for free (not even attached to their subscription services) through their Play At Home initiative, etc...

Sony is remaking a 2013 AAA game as we speak and will sell it at full price. You're asking for a free upgrade to a game you paid for in 2016. I'd love to get what you're asking for but it's never going to happen.

No one is saying they have the obligation. We just think it would've been nice if they did.

yurinka

You mean that whole studio is working on patches for HZD? No one said they aren't working on PC games, some were suggesting it might be not the only purpose they were aquired for.
In addition to PC ports, in the past they also did support other teams like Guerrilla helping in tools and engine area. Probably in addition to improve HZD PC port, they may be working on other ports and integrating their PC specific stuff in Sony's engine to ease future ports.

The idea is to have Nixxes to do stuff like that, so Guerrilla can focus instead on making new games like Horizon 2 and don't waste their time on making or fixing PC ports.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Now fix the god awful low ass lod...the grass pop in is absolutely ridiculous in horizon and makes the game look like shit.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

How if they are patching the game for pc
What? Did u just read ur posts? So they can't work on forbidden west and send measly patches at the same time? Lol game already mostly fixed. Just needs one or two small fixes and that's it

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I mean sure .. if you buy one of the best regarded porting studio, it makes sense to put them to work on your key franchises which may not have had the best PC launches.

Maybe MS should have commissioned Nixxess for the MS Store port of Halo: Infinite before Sony bought them.

Lethal01

screen space ray tracing or gi is a crap.
The whole point is that you see lighting/shadows from the light sources OUTSIDE of the visible area on the screen.

No the whole point is the lighting is more accurate, SSGI can increasing lighting accuracy by a ton especially when paired properly wiht other cheap techniques. Like Lumen is doing.

Mister Wolf

screen space ray tracing or gi is a crap.
The whole point is that you see lighting/shadows from the light sources OUTSIDE of the visible area on the screen.

Its better than just relying on Light Probe GI paired with SSAO like Horizon and Horizon 2 are using. Compare Days Gone PC port with and without it in the DF video. The game clearly benefits from it. Gears 5 also benefits.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Its better than just relying on Light Probe GI paired with SSAO like Horizon and Horizon 2 are using. Compare Days Gone PC port with and without it in the DF video. The game clearly benefits from it. Gears 5 also benefits.
i's better but meh... not much of a difference to wait for it

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

i's better but meh... not much of a difference to wait for it

You can say that about alot of the higher settings they give us on PC. Combined they are greater than the sum of their parts. More and more im starting to appreciate dynamic objects being properly lit and color bounce. After experiencing Metro Exodus the old method of dynamic lighting and even baked lighting looks like shit.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned

Exactly PC port is more important than creating PS5 port. PC gamers are more important, PlayStation fans don't care if they get less ports than PC.

EDMIX

Oh no nixxes is working on patches for hzd? So who's porting forbidden west to pc?
How if they are patching the game for pc

smh. So they can't do both? whaaaat? lol

I really don't get this, does the gaming community really believes teams just do 1 thing or something? The amount needed to patch the game won't be the same as needed to port and even then lots of port teams are done by less then like 30 people as the thing you are talking about isn't some deep thing where 400 plus people are needed or something.

Asypr for many ports had like 20 people
Grove Street games is like 20 people
Bluepoint games was like 29 people or so. Read on what that is and you'll see its not this 1300 developer task or something that takes years, its something a small, like REALLY small team can do in mere months. So i'm 100% positive they can patch Horizon and do the port to 2 easily as generally that isn't a task needed by hundreds of developers or something.

When you look up the process, you'll see its not what you think. So I believe its very likely Nixxes will port 2 and do the patches to both games no issue.

Hezekiah

Banned

I think some of that is down to what Microsoft has been doing - for the start of this gen they had no games so put a lot of resources into upgrading old games.

Reallink

I'm reminded of YoshiP tweeting it running on the Steam Deck (theoretically more powerful than a base PS4), yet somehow looking worse than a bastardized Switch port running in 480p.

Top Bottom