• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy has everything good and bad at a videogames nowadays

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Just finished Guardians of the Galaxy, and holy shit, it's the definition of a mixbag

The game has heart, is well directed in the matter of general consistence, story is good and voice actors have a good chemistry... still, it's a game, not a movie, so why so much interruption during the gameplay?! Also multiple choices that doesn't have real influence are dumb, characters saying "flarc" instead of real cursing is lazy writting, and A LOT OF OBLIGATORY WALKING SESSIONS are the just the worst

You get some nice upgrades to you character and your friends... but just at convenient parts. Didn't felt that I earn this. With Quill there's a sequence out of nowhere, which is bad, but with the other characters is just "now you have this" with no reason at all, which is even worse. There's a reason why you fight bosses or go searching for stuff, it's to git gud at playing and to git gud stuff. I guess the director missed the "achievement class"

Also, there's a hub place here and there, like the ship and Knowhere... that doesn't have much to do aside from the main thing - looking at stuff or talking to NPCs does not count. You could easily put this stuff as a menu thing or something, and if the player wanted, go for a free look. Be more practical. This game could easily be stage based and worked better

So yeah, there's lot of good things but also bad things going on since the PS360 days, and they're still doing this shit. Stop with the lazy design choices. Stop with the fucking obligatory walking sessions - you can mask the loading times better. Stop with the cutscene exposition-gameplay-exposition. And never... NEVER do a Special Attack that leads to a conversation

ParaSeoul

Season 10 Story GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Lunarorbit

The humor and constant stoppage in action if you use your special moves did it fit me, not in a good way.

Definition of busy and muddled screen

ManaByte

Gold Member
Can’t say i agree flark is an example of bad writing. It’s not like it would be better if they just say fuck all game. It’s rated T.
It’s also from the comics, which the game is based on. Again, it’s not a MCU adaptation.

JayK47

I thought I would enjoy the game more as well. I thought the combat was boring and the puzzles annoying. Rocket was also too damn whiny. Like this post.

Hari Seldon

I think the game is fairly average, but excellent as a franchise game. I haven't played that much yet but what I have is mostly walking around with environment puzzles and encounters here and there, all with witty dialogue. If you really like the franchise then you would love this. If you don't give a fuck about cape shit then all of this walking around is tedious, as the ratio to tedium and combat is tilted too much to the tedium. So basically a 7/10 game unless you are a super marvel fan and then it would be higher.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game. It's actually one of the better ones I have played in the last two years. So glad I got to play it on Game Pass but I enjoyed it so much that I will eventually buy the game for myself.

Certinty

Absolutely loved the game personally. Graphics, story, attention to detail, characters and dialogue were all amazing as was the variety in the planets.

I really enjoyed the slower parts as you really got to know the world and characters more. The only part which wasn’t great was the combat but until the last quarter of the game there isn’t much of it anyway.

My favourite story based game this generation so far.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I thought the game was amazing. But there are some dips in the momentum in the later part of the game.

I'd prefer more tactical combat and interesting gameplay but it was fun and functional at showing off the team. Went into it with no expectations and was hugely surprised how good it was. But there's definitely room for improvement.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Amazing single player game, marred by terrible marketing and advertising.

It really should have done a lot better commercially than it ended up going.

Buggy Loop

Loved the graphics, the funny dialogues, the amazing face animations, the story.

I loved a bit less the indoor level design layout and the repetitive combat.

Overall thumbs up

Chukhopops

Gameplay wise it was a bit too basic for my taste but the game was saved by the story, writing and the voice actors absolutely killing it. Soundtrack was fantastic too, saw in the credits it was made by Richard Jacques, absolute legend.

Hope they make a sequel, I’ll buy it next time for sure.

SeraphJan

I'm not that into Marvel Universe, but the gameplay is really good, I'm glad that movie based game is getting better and better.

Last edited:
Outside of some of the puzzles feeling like a chore, thought it was pretty good myself. Story & graphics do more of the carrying though as the gameplay is a bit basic, but it at least keeps you interested enough.

Sygma

Insanely well written game and when you replay it and chose different dialogue options, reactions also are different. Combat was basic but functional, set pieces were amazing. Also they utterly nailed all the characters which imho was the most important part in a project like this

OZ9000

Banned
The forced walking, crawling through spaces, and constant interruptions are enough to prevent me from ever replaying this game again.

It's fun, but I had the fact everything is slowed down. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to randomly stop action during the L1 + R1 huddle move either?

Lognor

Banned
I am still playing through it, but I'm mostly enjoying it. I do feel like it's probably a bit too long. It might have worked better as a shorter game. All the dialog is getting to be a bit too much. And some of it is pretty damn cringey, with the talk of teamwork and love.

Also the team combo thing is terrible. Really breaks up the gameplay and you have to listen to everyone's comments for 10-15 seconds during a fight. That was a dumb mechanic.

But overall, a solid 8 out of 10 for me.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It's basically a point and click adventure game with excessive hand-holding and some mediocre combat thrown in. It looks pretty and the narrative is fun though.

Also flark, d'ast and scut are not MCU ratings avoidance inventions, they are canon swear words exclusively used by marvel cosmic characters, and as you know the game is based on the comics, not MCU, so those words are comic accurate.

Best Naughty Dog game not made by Naughty Dog

This game is nothing like a naughty dog game.

It doesnt have a linear-moment to moment content filled scope of an uncharted game, with good platforming or cover shooting and it doesn’t have the brutally grim narrative and tactical shooting of the last of us.

If anything, its like a light hearted mass effect.

Last edited:

Keihart

Reagarding your "achivement" criticism, i guess you missed the part where character development is tied to the last power each character gets, which makes a lot of sense.
The forced walking is pretty mild and the answers do change the dialogue quite a lot btw.

Just finished Guardians of the Galaxy, and holy shit, it's the definition of a mixbag

The game has heart, is well directed in the matter of general consistence, story is good and voice actors have a good chemistry... still, it's a game, not a movie, so why so much interruption during the gameplay?! Also multiple choices that doesn't have real influence are dumb, characters saying "flarc" instead of real cursing is lazy writting, and A LOT OF OBLIGATORY WALKING SESSIONS are the just the worst

You get some nice upgrades to you character and your friends... but just at convenient parts. Didn't felt that I earn this. With Quill there's a sequence out of nowhere, which is bad, but with the other characters is just "now you have this" with no reason at all, which is even worse. There's a reason why you fight bosses or go searching for stuff, it's to git gud at playing and to git gud stuff. I guess the director missed the "achievement class"

Also, there's a hub place here and there, like the ship and Knowhere... that doesn't have much to do aside from the main thing - looking at stuff or talking to NPCs does not count. You could easily put this stuff as a menu thing or something, and if the player wanted, go for a free look. Be more practical. This game could easily be stage based and worked better

So yeah, there's lot of good things but also bad things going on since the PS360 days, and they're still doing this shit. Stop with the lazy design choices. Stop with the fucking obligatory walking sessions - you can mask the loading times better. Stop with the cutscene exposition-gameplay-exposition. And never... NEVER do a Special Attack that leads to a conversation
I completely agree with everything you said. The game just really bothered me. I couldn't even bring myself to keep playing it. The graphics are awesome, but the mandatory walking sucks, the puzzles were so basic that it was more of an inconvenience than fun, and the constant "flark" thing really got to me as well.

Also, I didn't like how you had to CONSTANTLY tell the other team members to do things and the central hub thing sucked all of the fun out of the game. It's like... come on, bring me to the next part of the game, I don't wanna walk around and talk to people, I just wanna play the freaking game.

Top Bottom