• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian runs poll on 'person of the year', JK Rowling wins so poll closed

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The funny thing is JK Rowling's views on gender aren't even aligned with strict binary gender beliefs. She has basically only said that there are biological differences between a biological woman and a trans woman. Not that trans women shouldn't be acknowledged as a "her" or respected as women.

And she makes a good point. You can't know what it truly means to be female unless you were born female and living it your whole life. Especially with childbirth. To completely ignore that is to devalue women, and that was the crux of some of her points.

And then she's made smaller remarks like taking issue with the term "pregnant people" which she said "don't you mean women???." This in no way is a knock towards trans men. Saying women give birth doesn't exclude trans men from being accepted, as much as activists try to argue it does.

And she also took issue with a trans woman who sexually assaulted a woman being referred to in news articles and officially in the courts as "woman sexually assaults woman." And the reasons she took issue with this is obvious. If that individual is put in a women's prison, it puts female prisoners at risk for sexual assault and also these types of things can skew crime statistics in a way that would adversely affect women.

Her stances are actually far more pro woman than they are anti trans or ever old school gender binary beliefs. It's just activists have disingenuously portrayed them as such. And use arguments like "her beliefs will cause harm to trans people everywhere" without naming a single person on the planet who was either harmed by her words or committed harm in the name of her words. Most people just regurgitate this vocal minority rhetoric likely without even knowing a single thing she has said. This is how misinformation spreads in the digital media age,
So true.

Never mind someone going through sex operations or taking hormones which is also different than being born the opposite sex. But for anyone who hasn't done one medical thing, but claim they are opposite sex because they feel like it and dress in different clothes, IMO there is no way that is the same as being born that gender with the original plumbing.

Similarly, it's like someone who is short and wears 6 inch shoes to be taller. I don't care how tall you feel or what you wear on your feet. You could be wearing stilts and be taller than Kareem Abdul Jabbar. But deep down you're really born a short person. You can feel and dress how you want, but dont say other people are wrong saying youre really short.

Last edited:
Dragoon nailed it. The situation with the trans woman being referred to as a woman after the sexual assault is happening more and more actually. And several of them don't even look like they've transitioned at all, they just know that by calling themselves women, they can be sent to women's prisons, and it's happened multiple times.

Hence the importance of single sex spaces and women's rights.

K9bLs4F.jpg
there has to be some joke about a penis/pianist here:pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Actually, about that....

She's actually right, its the interchangeable use of sex and gender that's the problem.

Gender identity can be fluid, people should be allowed to present themselves as they like. However that cannot be allowed to override fundamental biological reality and the social and societal consequences of those differences.

Identifying as a thing should not have primacy over safeguarding that preserves equality and prevents abuse.

The crux of the matter is that it basically exposes some core leftist dogma -specifically that men and women are the same- as being unworkable and frankly, utter bollocks because its predicated on cherry-picked metrics.

Sorry, but being biologically male does confer physical advantages in terms of athleticism. On the other hand, being biologically female confers greater longevity, but because that advantage doesn't lend itself to strengthening their political rhetoric its never brought up. Feminists don't tout premature death as being part of the great package of the male lived experience for obvious reasons!

Tams

Within the space of a day your sister evicts you from Her house and blocks you because of an argument over Rowling?

You not throwing her a few quid to stay? Something doesn't add up here. Seems unlikely she'd throw you out over a single argument.

What's the full story here, I'm curious?
The full story is that you can't read properly, you fucking numpty!

KAL2006

Banned
Silly of them. I still fail to find what is so controversial about the things Rowling has said or written. It has all been tame "trans people are fine, but let's not forget biological women are different" kinds of things. Like don't let some 180 pound, 6' tall dude run wildshot over a bunch of 90 pound 5' 5" women in sports.

I haven't really kept up with this news about JK, if this is true when wow, I thought she said something like fuck them trannies, if it's something like what you posted then what the fuck, talk about overreaction.

Fbh

She is probably just as crazy as the people that turned on her.

let them fight fighting GIF

The whole JK Rowling case is a good example of the ridiculousness of the woke cult.
She and the average person that hates her probably agree on 99% of topics, but because she has different (and honestly still pretty tame) views on trans women they have this strong irrational hate towards her.

Meanwhile me and maybe you probably disagree with her on way more stuff, and yet we don't hate her nearly as much.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
The whole JK Rowling case is a good example of the ridiculousness of the woke cult.
She and the average person that hates her probably agree on 99% of topics, but because she has different (and honestly still pretty tame) views on trans women they have this strong irrational hate towards her.

Meanwhile me and maybe you probably disagree with her on way more stuff, and yet we don't hate her nearly as much.

The internet simply works as an amplifier for extreme, hateful and crazy opinions. I don't think it's even about woke really, just that some people are so jealous and full of hate, they want to take other people down. Look at what people did centuries ago, burning people alive because they thought they were a witch or for whatever ridiculous reason. This is just a tame version of that.

Thing is, it's not even "views", she's been simply speaking the plain truth and facts from the start. Everything that she spoke of has happened, is happening and will keep on happening. It's just that a lot of people do not want to admit that it's happening. Anytime you try to have a semblance of a conversation with a TRA or someone who hates her, they'll either claim that she said things that she's never said, insult you, threaten you, dox you and more.

It's like the dudes sexually assaulting women and then claiming they're women, those same people will tell you, "it never happens", you give them the examples and they'll keep on burying their hands in the sand.

It's insane how many stupid people are on social media. They think they're being kind, and woke, and progressive and respectful but they really do not give a shit about women and girls' rights and kids in general.

Cyberpunkd

I haven't really kept up with this news about JK, if this is true when wow, I thought she said something like fuck them trannies, if it's something like what you posted then what the fuck, talk about overreaction.
She - and this is very British feminism to you - advocates that trans right should not overshadow problems and issues biological women face e.g. sexual harassment, unequal compensation, rape, discrimination, single mothers, etc, Basically saying that trans monopolising ‘women issues’ means other issues getting neglected because everyone is too busy focusing on rainbows.

I can't believe those people saying "trans women are women". I wonder how many say this publicly to get some cookie points but privately know fully well that no, they are not and never will be.

Ionian

The full story is that you can't read properly, you fucking numpty!

Charming. Was on mobile and was not loading properly so was responding to what had managed to load to a point.

"Fucking numpty"? eh? I've never seen such eloquence, you truly must be a scholar.

Sorry I hurt your feelings sweetheart. I'm sure OP can fend for themselves big man. Seems you're more upset by the post than the OP. Don't worry though, we can work through this together and come out stronger and maybe even BFF's, I'm sure of it. <3

EDIT:

Who's the numpty now? I forgive you for not reading the whole thread. It's hard for some people, I know. Life can be tough for those with limited reading abilities.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
She - and this is very British feminism to you - advocates that trans right should not overshadow problems and issues biological women face e.g. sexual harassment, unequal compensation, rape, discrimination, single mothers, etc, Basically saying that trans monopolising ‘women issues’ means other issues getting neglected because everyone is too busy focusing on rainbows.
A lot of is guilt by association - people she has retweeted or followed.
Her own views as she has expressed them do not seem that controversial other than they require nuance in the 'a trans woman is a woman' idea.

Tams

Charming. Was on mobile and was not loading properly so was responding to what had managed to load to a point.

"Fucking numpty"? eh? I've never seen such eloquence, you truly must be a scholar.

Sorry I hurt your feelings sweetheart. I'm sure OP can fend for themselves big man. Seems you're more upset by the post than the OP. Don't worry though, we can work through this together and come out stronger and maybe even BFF's, I'm sure of it. <3

EDIT:

Who's the numpty now? I forgive you for not reading the whole thread. It's hard for some people, I know. Life can be tough for those with limited reading abilities.
You made a brash comment based on not reading what that person actually wrote.

Don't blame me because you couldn't be bothered to read properly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
She didn't cast the play, that's not her responsibility. It's also a play, it's its own thing. The only thing she did was approve of the actress they chose because she's a kind person, that's it. There's no retconning there, it's not the films, it's not the books.
Did you read the exchange? Had nothing to do with the play, her comment was along the lines of "JK never envisioning Hermione being white."

Which she is full of shit, since in her own books and early illustrations, she is. She was playing right into the current CULTural BS.

Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Why do they want to accept mental illness?

Mentally ill people are probably easier to control/manipulate. I think the powers that control society know this and now want to exploit that for gain.
Imagine having mentally ill people in places of power that are easy to control?

Mentally ill people are probably easier to control/manipulate. I think the powers that control society know this and now want to exploit that for gain.
Imagine having mentally ill people in places of power that are easy to control?
And by the way, money. Surgeons lining up their pockets. There's a growing number of detransitioners who speak out (and are usually told to shut the f up by TRAs or some trans folks) about their experience, about how they wish there had been more careful consideration (many seem to be put on puberty blockers after four 30 minute meetings with a medical professional), that transitioning might sometimes have made things worse, or that they reconciled with their sex.

In fact, most kids who suffer from gender dysphoria (or are thought to), it just resolves itself and they end up simply being gay or lesbian.

Tams

And by the way, money. Surgeons lining up their pockets. There's a growing number of detransitioners who speak out (and are usually told to shut the f up by TRAs or some trans folks) about their experience, about how they wish there had been more careful consideration (many seem to be put on puberty blockers after four 30 minute meetings with a medical professional), that transitioning might sometimes have made things worse, or that they reconciled with their sex.

In fact, most kids who suffer from gender dysphoria (or are thought to), it just resolves itself and they end up simply being gay or lesbian.

Dare to criticise something like Mermaids (an utterly disgusting group) in some popular spaces and be prepared to be crucified.

Last edited:
Well, Mermaids' taken quite the dive, fucking criminals they are. After the Keira Bell case (do look it up, she won but then it was overturned, though it's still a win in some respects, will make some medical professionals think twice now before willy nilly putting kids on puberty blockers that are experimental, and irreversible), I'm guessing they'll fly below the radar.

FunkMiller FunkMiller : exactly. In fact, for quite a few, it makes them worse. If adults want to do it, fine, let them but butchering healthy kids who have no concept of what it entails, what it means or will naturally desist or change their minds (and for the really young ones, will call themselves a girl one day if they're a boy, and then a giraffe the next), NO.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
FunkMiller FunkMiller : exactly. In fact, for quite a few, it makes them worse. If adults want to do it, fine, let them but butchering healthy kids who have no concept of what it entails, what it means or will naturally desist or change their minds (and for the really young ones, will call themselves a girl one day if they're a boy, and then a giraffe the next), NO.

The hate you see from certain quarters of the trans community must be tied into a desperation to believe that what they’ve already done to themselves was the ‘right thing’ to do.

Human psychology tends to suggest that when a person is comfortable and happy with their life choices, they rarely punish others for choosing different courses of action, but when a person in unsure about their life decisions, and sees others questioning similar decisions, it becomes extremely emotive... and this is where anger, vitriol and hate occur.

I’m fairly convinced the root cause of the hate and spite we see from some in the trans community is down to their own doubts and misgivings about the things they‘ve done to themselves.

All incredibly sad, and a self fulfilling prophecy for many.

Last edited:

Tams

So The Guardian have published their results.

A listicle with no mention of their snafu and JK Rowling buried in the middle.

Also, Ranboo... I'll never understand zoomers.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Oh god this is actually real.

You should check out the comments, some people obviously making fun of this and then the wokies literally tell them to kill himselves and that they are cunts. Lovely people, trying to make the world a better place.

Last edited:
I "like" how we have to conform to subsection of a society that nearly a decade or more ago used to be a joke, and makes up 0.00001% of well anything really are now being taken as valid and must be protected. Meanwhile their suicide rates are sky high, or act like assholes.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I "like" how we have to conform to subsection of a society that nearly a decade or more ago used to be a joke, and makes up 0.00001% of well anything really are now being taken as valid and must be protected. Meanwhile their suicide rates are sky high, or act like assholes.

Nah woke people just use transgenders as a tool to cancel people. They don't give a shit about transgenders and like you said the group is so small it's irrelevant. A perfect group to use really.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

Hello! My name is Elder IkbalCO.

May I introduce the words of our lord and savior Steven Crowder to you?

Drew1440

Oh god this is actually real.

You should check out the comments, some people obviously making fun of this and then the wokies literally tell them to kill himselves and that they are cunts. Lovely people, trying to make the world a better place.
For a split second I thought that was YouTube CEO Susan Wabberjak

tommolb

The whole woke/cancel culture thing is an example of the left looking for traitors, while the right looks for converts.
A group of wokes can agree on 99.9999% of things, but if one of their number has an opinion 1mm to the right of Marx on one small issue, the rest of the group will treat them like a Nazi and cancel them.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Some folks are conflating sex and gender though ^^

It’s true because for 500 years that’s how it was commonly used.

When an application or questionnaire or whatever asked somebody their gender, it’s about sex. It’s not about tribe, family, class or whatever.

These days though it’s as if people pretend sex of someone doesn’t exist, it’s just gender and that is a social construct. Well ok, let’s go back to the word sex though, because nobody gives a fuck about gender then, because that word is now only used to describe gender in the sense of gender roles.

But try saying there are only two sexes to somebody waxing lyrical about gender. The cherry on top here is that people saying they don’t identify with binary concept of gender are doing so to say they don’t identify with the standard current social projection of a man or woman, which is hilarious because there isn’t one man and there isn’t one woman to begin with.

This whole thing is as ridiculous as accepting people to question if they are human or not. That’s not an option.

Also, male/female/non binary… ok so there’s 3? Oh no there’s many but we just say non binary for those others. And now we start a waste of an exercise in coming up with gender identity names that tells absolute Jack shit.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Rowling is as crazy as the people who are cancelling her. "Innumerable gender identities" that's mental disorder. Too bad people are normalizing it they they do pedos.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Hello! My name is Elder IkbalCO.

May I introduce the words of our lord and savior Steven Crowder to you?

I tend to ignore what homophobes have to say about anything, but then I’m weird like that, I guess.

There are two biological sexes. That is immutable science. No wailing or screaming from the trans lobby will ever change that.

Gender is a societal construct, and I couldn’t care less how many of them people want to believe in, or call themselves to be honest. Call yourself by whatever weird ass gender pronoun you like, but if you’ve got a cock and balls, you’re male. No arguments.

Top Bottom