• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian runs poll on 'person of the year', JK Rowling wins so poll closed

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Not surprised the Guardian pulled the poll considering the subject. It's such a heated topic and actually fell out with my sister over this.

I found out yesterday that she hates JK Rowling because of JK's views on gender. Her hatred is so strong that she even threw out her old HP books and will prevent her kids ever reading them and watching the films.

I told her she was being pathetic, so she kicked me out of her house, text me to say I'm a bigot and then blocked my number.

Uh oh, she got the virus. It's like cultist behaviour...

And she has kids?

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Not surprised the Guardian pulled the poll considering the subject. It's such a heated topic and actually fell out with my sister over this.

I found out yesterday that she hates JK Rowling because of JK's views on gender. Her hatred is so strong that she even threw out her old HP books and will prevent her kids ever reading them and watching the films.

I told her she was being pathetic, so she kicked me out of her house, text me to say I'm a bigot and then blocked my number.
Ah the good old "inclusivity and diversity" people who shut every other person who does not do groupthink. She seems horrible to be honest.

Tams

You need to get her kids to read or watch some HP. Though it sounds like she'd ban you from ever seeing your nieces and/or nephews ever again.

What a sad state the world has become.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
You need to get her kids to read or watch some HP. Though it sounds like she'd ban you from ever seeing your nieces and/or nephews ever again.

What a said state the world has become.

She is probably one of those mothers that lives on her phone and social media, even when going for a walk with the kids.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Uh oh, she got the virus. It's like cultist behaviour...

And she has kids?

Ah the good old "inclusivity and diversity" people who shut every other person who does not do groupthink. She seems horrible to be honest.

We used to be close, but the last few years she has become more and more radical. I can't mention her views because it's political and I'll get banned, but let's just say she makes Jeremy Corbyn look right-wing.

What a said state the world has become.

Not a chance. Her kids will grow up with her insane views. My dad is being peacemaker in this, but if he's not careful he'll also be a victim of her wrath. She'll calm down eventually.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
We used to be close, but the last few years she has become more and more radical. I can't mention her views because it's political and I'll get banned, but let's just say she makes Jeremy Corbyn look right-wing.

Not a chance. Her kids will grow up with her insane views. My dad is being peacemaker in this, but if he's not careful he'll also be a victim of her wrath. She'll calm down eventually.

It's sad really. But this is exactly like people joining a cult (or religion) and banishing their family for the cult.

I'm sorry to hear this. Totally unnecessary on her part.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute

Sounds like my ex-gf

I love J K Rowling even more now than ever for standing up for herself against the cancel culture mob. I also voted for Jeremy Corbyn twice. I think I'd give your sister a brain aneurysm.

wV9n9cH.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Observers of contemporary culture coined the term 'McBoatfacing', as "making the critical mistake of letting the internet decide things". In one such observation, Jennifer Finney Boylan of the New York Times wrote that to be 'McBoatfaced' is to allow people to "deliberately make their choices not in order to foster the greatest societal good, but, instead, to mess with you".

So your nephews get the entire box set every Christmas? For the next 10 years? 🤔😆😆 Smuggle it into them like crack cocaine. Psssst kids, I've got the hard stuff, Fantastic Beasts.

But honestly, how sad and bizarre.

BlueAlpaca

1) Is she hot?

2) Smart (130+ IQ)?

It's always the same deal with those TRAs or folks who are on board fully with the inclusivity deal. Any time you point out their flawed logic, or the impossibility of certain things, they call you a bigot, threaten you and shut down the conversation. In a few years, hopefully sooner, a lot of those blind sheep will see what is happening and understand that everything Jo spoke off, her concerns, and the concerns of many people who are told to shut the f up, is REAL.

Would be very fun if she did win the award, I hope so.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Rowling is one of those weird celebs. A few years ago, she was all into feminism and LGBT lot. Now she saw how far out of whack is and tried to rein it in, but she made her bed trying to be hip and cool with the woke kids and this is what happens. Good thing that the *majority* aren't insane, but are afraid of the tantrum inducing kids on the interwebz. I doubt that she'll pull a 180 like Depp did cause that will take a lot of work since the UK has too many kangaroos running around.

Rowling is one of those weird celebs. A few years ago, she was all into feminism and LGBT lot. Now she saw how far out of whack is and tried to rein it in, but she made her bed trying to be hip and cool with the woke kids and this is what happens. Good thing that the *majority* aren't insane, but are afraid of the tantrum inducing kids on the interwebz. I doubt that she'll pull a 180 like Depp did cause that will take a lot of work since the UK has too many kangaroos running around.
?! What are you even talking about being into the LGBT lot? Just because Dumbledore is gay? That's not her doing so for cookie points. He just happens to be gay. And she's very much a feminist still. Never did she try to be hip and cool with the woke kids.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
?! What are you even talking about being into the LGBT lot? Just because Dumbledore is gay? That's not her doing so for cookie points. He just happens to be gay. And she's very much a feminist still. Never did she try to be hip and cool with the woke kids.
IDK, she did try to retcon Hermione's race. Even forgot what she wrote.

Cyberpunkd

Source: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies...f-the-year-award-poll-and-its-quickly-closed/

You needn’t live on the internet to know that J.K. Rowling hasn’t exactly been doing her public image any favors over the last couple of years. The Harry Potter author, once universally loved for gifting bookworms the wonderful Wizarding World, has repeatedly come under fire for comments accused by many of being deeply transphobic, a hill Rowling seems intent to die on instead of providing an apology for any offense caused and moving well along.
We ResetERA now? Her views are in line with history of British feminism.

bitbydeath

Time to get the fam together.

images

Razvedka

Banned
A legit question- is it mental illness? If it is, why is so mainstream now to treat all Trans people like they don't have a mental illness...?
We all pray at altars, each one fashioned after our philosophies and guiding principles. For some, self expression and individuality are the highest order of good alongside empathy/inclusiveness. In this scenario it becomes easier to overlook the negative aspects, or hypothetically even certain 'realities', behind the lifestyles and choices some might make.

I think the desire to ignore the shortcomings of the things we hold closest is pretty human.

is it a mental illness?

Hard to say. I think there are real cases of gender dysphoria and there are certainly instances medically of people being born intersex (chromosomal abnormalities, both male and female genitals, etc). That being said, are we to assume that the massive influx of those now claiming to be trans are in fact these authentic cases which have hitherto been 'suppressed'? I doubt it, and I think that most of that uptick are probably not in the greatest mental space but I will leave it at that.

Last edited:

Billbofet

This is funny on so many levels and a perfect microcosm example of all that is wrong with our current state.
At least that's my take.

If you don't find humor in this, it is the saddest shit ever as it would then just be overt fascism.
Inclusion through exclusion. Snake meet tail.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
JK Rowling is someone I had no opinion on whatsoever for my entire life to now being a big fan of. She has never said anything remotely transphobic whatsoever, in fact, she's actually one of the OG accepting of different sexualities/identities, and she seems like a very pleasant, kind, accepting, and giving person from all I've seen and read about her.

Glad she continues to get support.

Last edited:

Billbofet

How many skidmarks that are "offended" by her would ever do or have ever done the following (donate upwards of 160M - create a trust for poverty and inequality):

"J.K. Rowling was one of the richest people in the world in 2011, but since then her fortunes have decreased to such an extent that she is no longer a billionaire. Forbes announced their yearly list of the World’s Billionaires, but the Harry Potter author’s name was noticeably absent.
She was one of 129 people to be removed from the list that year, but her reason for leaving is a little different to the normal reason. The 51-year-old author’s departure was due to her sizeable donations to charity, as well as the high British taxes she is asked to pay."

Mistake

We need someone like a strong independent woman who built an entire brand and donates to those in need
-JK Rowling?
:messenger_pouting:

She didn't cast the play, that's not her responsibility. It's also a play, it's its own thing. The only thing she did was approve of the actress they chose because she's a kind person, that's it. There's no retconning there, it's not the films, it's not the books.

We all pray at altars, each one fashioned after our philosophies and guiding principles. For some, self expression and individuality are the highest order of good alongside empathy/inclusiveness. In this scenario it becomes easier to overlook the negative aspects, or hypothetically even certain 'realities', behind the lifestyles and choices some might make.

I think the desire to ignore the shortcomings of the things we hold closest is pretty human.

Hard to say. I think there are real cases of gender dysphoria and there are certainly instances medically of people being born intersex (chromosomal abnormalities, both male and female genitals, etc). That being said, are we to assume that the massive influx of those now claiming to be trans are in fact these authentic cases which have hitherto been 'suppressed'? I doubt it, and I think that most of that uptick are probably not in the greatest mental space but I will leave it at that.
What's for sure is a vast, vast portion of people with gender dysphoria suffer from additional mental health issues and disorders. For the kids who are pushed to transition (without understanding all the health issues and complications that come with that), more and more are autistic girls for example. We can't pretend though that it's normal because it's not. What is normal some will ask, but this idea of being born in the wrong body is absolutely bonkers and doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

The idea of a man "feeling" like they're a woman or a woman "feeling" like they're a man is so contradictory because how can you know what it feels like if you're not that opposite sex?

HoodWinked

The comments here are actually have good perspective.

This story does show how much of a joke these leftist cultist institutions have become where they memory hole anything that doesn't get the result they want. however if it weren't for some of these comments I wouldn't have been reminded that J.K. Rowlings actually kind of still sucks. She was completely for disastrous migration policies (remember people said why doesn't she welcome refugees into her multiple homes) and still very much woke and into id politics (Hermione being black).

Last edited:

BigBooper

The social media push for everyone to have a mental disorder, have a therapist, and let their freak flag fly continues to ruin things. Every freako I see on Twitter seems to at least claim autism, with some piling on bucketloads more mental problems.

I miss the old days when people shoved their disabilities deep down and hid them, and people who didn't were persuaded to change their minds.

Ah well, good to see JK hasn't caved to the darkness.

Ionian

Within the space of a day your sister evicts you from Her house and blocks you because of an argument over Rowling?

You not throwing her a few quid to stay? Something doesn't add up here. Seems unlikely she'd throw you out over a single argument.

What's the full story here, I'm curious?

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Within the space of a day your sister evicts you from Her house and blocks you because of an argument over Rowling?

You not throwing her a few quid to stay? Something doesn't add up here. Seems unlikely she'd through you out over a single argument.

What's the full story here, I'm curious?

We've had many disagreements over the past few years. Some political and some deeply personal (I can't share them here). This Rowling disagreement was the straw that broke the camels back.

She'll get over it eventually. This isn't the first time she's blocked me and probably won't be the last.

Drew1440

We had a J.K Rowling discussion at work, apparently they came to the conclusion that she was also a Nazi in addition to being trans-phobic because during World War 1 & II the wizarding world did nothing to intervene, therefore shes a Nazi supporter for that. I'm not sure if Harry Potter is supposed to be set in the real world or if any real life events have been referenced in Harry Potter itself but it seems like a stretch.
Maybe it will blow over but given the recent doxing, i'm not sure where this is going to end up.

GymWolf

This is some sort of famous copy pasta right?!

Last edited:

Ionian

We've had many disagreements over the past few years. Some political and some deeply personal (I can't share them here). This Rowling disagreement was the straw that broke the camels back.

She'll get over it eventually. This isn't the first time she's blocked me and probably won't be the last.

That sounds far more understandle, have plenty of of family I've fallen out with over the years. Some ill probably never see again unless it's a family funeral. Just that post in isolation sounded like there was (and was) more to it. :)

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The funny thing is JK Rowling's views on gender aren't even aligned with strict binary gender beliefs. She has basically only said that there are biological differences between a biological woman and a trans woman. Not that trans women shouldn't be acknowledged as a "her" or respected as women.

And she makes a good point. You can't know what it truly means to be female unless you were born female and living it your whole life. Especially with childbirth. To completely ignore that is to devalue women, and that was the crux of some of her points.

And then she's made smaller remarks like taking issue with the term "pregnant people" which she said "don't you mean women???." This in no way is a knock towards trans men. Saying women give birth doesn't exclude trans men from being accepted, as much as activists try to argue it does.

And she also took issue with a trans woman who sexually assaulted a woman being referred to in news articles and officially in the courts as "woman sexually assaults woman." And the reasons she took issue with this is obvious. If that individual is put in a women's prison, it puts female prisoners at risk for sexual assault and also these types of things can skew crime statistics in a way that would adversely affect women.

Her stances are actually far more pro woman than they are anti trans or ever old school gender binary beliefs. It's just activists have disingenuously portrayed them as such. And use arguments like "her beliefs will cause harm to trans people everywhere" without naming a single person on the planet who was either harmed by her words or committed harm in the name of her words. Most people just regurgitate this vocal minority rhetoric likely without even knowing a single thing she has said. This is how misinformation spreads in the digital media age,

Last edited:
Top Bottom