• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V sold over 145 million, if Mario Kart was released on all platforms over the same time frame, do you think it could come close?

Could Mario Kart match GTA if it was released on all platforms?

• Yes

Votes: 65 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 152 70.0%

• Total voters

Bragr

Banned
When it comes to full-priced games, Grand Theft Auto V is the biggest monster in the industry. There really isn't anything close to it either. It sold over 145 million units and is the most successful entertainment product ever made in terms of money earned from a single product.

This incredible success is spread over multiple platforms:
Playstation 3
Xbox 360
Playstation 4
Xbox One
and PC

I can't really think of anything in games reaching something similar at full price, apart from Mario Kart. Mario Kart 8 has sold 38 million on one platform (it sold another 8 million on the Wii U) and is a cultural phenomenon, and with a high-end version on the PS4 for example, I could see it pushing another 20 million on that console easy. It's the perfect casual game and appeals to virtually everyone. Combine that with the potential sales on all the platforms over 8 years, it could likely cross 100 million units sold perfectly fine.

Do you think it potentially could have reached something close to 145 million? is there any other console or PC exclusive that that could be capable of matching GTA at full price if it was featured on all platforms?

ChartOfTheDay_1501_Most_successful_entertainment_products_n-1qenvqu.jpg

gta-v-screenshot-3.jpg

140830-games-review-mario-kart-8-deluxe-review-image1-5duum8bfrp.jpg

killatopak

Gold Member
Two completely different types of games and demographics.

While I do see MK selling a lot on other platforms and maybe even double the sales, I just don't see it doing as well as GTAV since there's a huge gulf in content. It's basically a GAAS now and the comparisons have to be other GAAS type games.

Diddy X

I'm not sure, it is popular , yes, but it's only a karts game, how do you keep it fresh for so long?

MastaKiiLA

I don't know about Mario Kart, but a Zelda or Mario game would definitely have a strong chance. They basically span all generations of gamers, as most older gamers grew up on those games. And the gameplay is kinda timeless.

assurdum

Banned
When it comes to full-priced games, Grand Theft Auto V is the biggest monster in the industry. There really isn't anything close to it either. It sold over 145 million units and is the most successful entertainment product ever made in terms of money earned from a single product.

This incredible success is spread over multiple platforms:
Playstation 3
Xbox 360
Playstation 4
Xbox One
and PC

I can't really think of anything in games reaching something similar at full price, apart from Mario Kart. Mario Kart 8 has sold 38 million on one platform (it sold another 8 million on the Wii U) and is a cultural phenomenon, and with a high-end version on the PS4 for example, I could see it pushing another 20 million on that console easy. It's the perfect casual game and appeals to virtually everyone. Combine that with the potential sales on all the platforms over 8 years, it could likely cross 100 million units sold perfectly fine.

Do you think it potentially could have reached something close to 145 million? is there any other console or PC exclusive that that could be capable of matching GTA at full price if it was featured on all platforms?

ChartOfTheDay_1501_Most_successful_entertainment_products_n-1qenvqu.jpg

gta-v-screenshot-3.jpg

140830-games-review-mario-kart-8-deluxe-review-image1-5duum8bfrp.jpg
Bird Reaction GIF
grocery store dancing GIF

Last edited:

the_master

I never liked GTA but I see why it appeals to so much people, especially teenagers.
I am not sure Mario Kart would reach so much people and stay relevant non stop as gta.
I do prefer Mario Kart though, it is a game that provides me with more fun.

Bragr

Banned
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is projected to reach over 40 million on the Switch this year. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe might reach 50 million by the end of the Switch's lifecycle. Combine that with the Wii U sales, you have a game selling almost 60 million on Nintendo consoles alone.

I think it would come down to what it could sell on the PC, if the market would go for it.

Holammer

I could imagine a multi-platform (PC and other consoles) Mario Kart hitting 100M easy. There's a lot of folks like myself that respect Nintendo, but not enough to pay the Nintendo tax.

Bragr

Banned
No.

Zelda, however…
Zelda and Mario 3D platformers aren't even close to Mario Kart numbers.

I think a lot of you guys are underestimating the appeal of Mario Kart, if you had that game on the PS4 with proper online play, the amount people that would buy it for their kids would be insane. Mario Kart is the sort of game parents buy on instinct because they know it's safe for children.

Kev Kev

Zelda and Mario 3D platformers aren't even close to Mario Kart numbers.

I think a lot of you guys are underestimating the appeal of Mario Kart, if you had that game on the PS4 with proper online play, the amount people that would buy it for their kids would be insane. Mario Kart is the sort of game parents buy on instinct because they know it's safe for children.
More people would be open to trying an open world game like Zelda. Mario kart and platformers are sort of niche. I just think Zelda would appeal to a broader audience.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Nintendo cripples there own ip's by keeping them on there hardware. They could make a ton of money if they go multiplatform. Sadly the whole company is ruled by idiots.
Aww poor guy doesn’t want to buy another console (while he waits in queue for a 3090 for his gaming rig).

Out of all the 7 gaming gens Nintendo was in, they had one bad showing. And currently, they’re outselling their competitors. Why would they give up one of their biggest selling points to water down their games and sell them somewhere else?

GTA V maybe king with Tetris and Minecraft in the same ballpark, but nothing else comes even close. Not even other multi platform games. Honestly, the comparison is kind of dumb. You could easily ask “Can Assassin’s Creed ever catch it” and get the same answer.

Kokoloko85

But what if GTA was on the Switch…
I think if they release Mario Kart now, it would do big numbers. Not close to GTA numbers thoug

But like I asked before, I think the Mario Kart numbers are alot because it comes with the Switch in alot of deals.
I got my switch with a free copy of Mario Kart

Last edited:

mejin

People buy a Nintendo to play MK and several other Marios, but if Nintendo went multi people would just play the games on better platforms.

GTA is the game to end all games. Mario Kart is amazing in its own right but it's limited with its gameplay in terms of what can be done with the game.

I mean for fuck sakes weren't scientists using GTA V to teach AI how to drive at one point?

Last edited:
Top Bottom