• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Trilogy May Have Removed Confederate Flag

I don't really mind whether it stays or not but as has been pointed out, there are so many offensive things in the game. Like what about the Vice City radio ad about an action movie with racially stereotyped Cambodian voice? Is that removed to? If not, then why does that stay but this doesn't? It seems so selective, there are many offensive things throughout the franchise all the way up to making fun out of male rape. It seems bizarre if just this gets singled out.

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Will be fun to play these games again.

drotahorror

I mean...good?
If anyone is out there getting upset at the removal of a confederate flag in a video game, maybe you have bigger issues.

INB4 "but, but, buuuuut game preservation"
For the love of bacon, please STFU. There are millions of copies of these games in the world and will be easily accessible long after your concerned corpse is nothing but dust and your bloodline has ended.

"But, but, buuuuut disc rot, but, but, buuut"....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuut it.

Ain't nobody upset it's just retarded. They had creative vision at one point and represented it. Why go back in time and change it? I can understand graphics, but actual subject matter?

*edit, my bloodline will forever live on peon.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
They better not remove this

Being lectured about echo chambers, fragility and dumbassery, not to mention actual history, by swarms of REEEturners coming outta the goddamn walls..

Fuck Cerium man.
Yeah man, there’s three or four in here that I’d definitely rate R. Hope they aren’t allowed to shift the entire discourse of this forum again with their narrow minded hatefulness.

I really don’t see why they wouldn’t just stay on Ree and suck the corporate overlord cock if they can’t have an open discourse without making sweeping generalisations and hyperbolic statements.

Yeah man, there’s three or four in here that I’d definitely rate R. Hope they aren’t allowed to shift the entire discourse of this forum again with their narrow minded hatefulness.

I really don’t see why they wouldn’t just stay on Ree and suck the corporate overlord cock if they can’t have an open discourse without making sweeping generalisations and hyperbolic statements.

Well, in order to avoid the creation of an echo chamber, all opinions should be welcome provided they are not typed out rudely/insultingly.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well, in order to avoid the creation of an echo chamber, all opinions should be welcome provided they are not typed out rudely/insultingly.
I didn’t say I want an echo chamber, I said I didn’t want them to be allowed to shift the entire discourse again, like they did on GAF and Ree. The issue is one side is open to open discourse, the other is against it, and as soon as the second option outnumber the first, they win.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Someone had a reason to make this change and the many other changes they likely made, and I’d love to know what they are. I want to hear the logic come out of someone’s mouth as to why this particular change was worth making and the effect of the change on the game.

I also want top tier psychoanalysts in the room when I hear it, because the hoops you have to jump through to make this change in a series named after one of the lesser crimes you can commit in the series are worth studying.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

There's already proof of censorship in the first short trailer, think about that. I fully expect more of that shit to be uncovered in previews and when it finally launches and people start discovering things.

cormack12

Gold Member
Stupid. Even more stupid are the more people who think those who want the icon to remain equates to support of the thing itself. The whole point is that we laugh together at the ridiculous stereotype. Without the symbol it's now just someone like Angry Joe randomly in a game. That symbol explained everything about that characters beahviour and mindset.

ZehDon

Gold Member
That this was spotted in that short a trailer gives me pause; I suspect there's an enormous amount of smaller details they'll have removed or changed if we're seeing these types of changes already.

The idea that depiction in-and-of-itself - in any context - is no longer acceptable, and needs to be altered, is mind-cancer. Mere depiction is not endorsement, and Rockstar used to have the balls to die on that hill. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
I'll never understand why some people think hiding things they don't like will make them magically disappear. It's physically impossible to sanitize the planet of stuff you disagree with. People of that inclination will fly all the confederate flags they want, real or imaginary, whether you want it or not. Just accept the fact and, if you think you have to, fight back against the message, rather than attempt to hide its symptoms, or you end up entangled in ridiculous whitch-hunts that make you look like the crazy one to all third-party viewers.

If you are so scared of a flag that you are not willing to ackowledge its existence even to mock it, you are giving it power. You are saying "I can't fight this, I have to hide from it, and I have to prevent anyone else from seeing it because its mere sight - even out of context - could corrupt their innocent minds". Just because you are stuck thinking like a 12 yo, stop projecting that onto the public at large. That's not how functional brans work. That's not how adults read context in media. People have their own ideas, and read media through it, not the other way around.

SSfox

Wasn't planning to buy but this just reinforce my initial decision. And I won't be surprise that it's not the only censorship, they may as well removed some musics in the radio station.

Tangerine

Some salty, triggered individuals in here.

Imagine being so smooth brained and easily manipulated you literally become a useful idiot like these reeetards. An unpaid mouthpiece for the radical extremist ideology on the far left, while unwittingly or perhaps knowingly, but with zero fucks given; becoming the very monster they think they are fighting on the other side; but only ultimately succeeding in exacerbating the division and hyper polarisation that's slowly eroding trust and personal relationships across Western society today.

A Confederate flag in an old game famous for pushing the envelope, rich with satire, making fun of everyone and anything. Will anything huge be lost with this removal? No. But it's just another thing in a long list of things 'sanitised' from older game remasters, rewriting the past through fear of offending the perpetually offended; an impossible task I should add.

The perpetually offended feel they have been given a divine mandate to eradicate all resistance to what they perceive as necessary, positive and much needed societal change.

How they can possibly feel their tactics further this agenda is the truly sad and baffling thing imo. Self righteous, politically correct with a severe superiority complex, preaching tolerance and acceptance while practicing nothing of the sort. Fighting racism by being racist themselves, ending inequality with quotas, or by lowering entry requirements for certain positions; infecting everything with woke nonsense. Constantly brow beating and berating their opposition, that they have painted as evil, right wing goblins, thinking they'll all fall in line by this heavy handed method!?

Maybe these tactics work on some low IQ, masochistic types, who want to be told they are racist for being white, or must be a racist for wanting free speech protected by law or sexist for being male etc. but the vast majority will react with the appropriate level of disbelief.

Canceling, targeted harassment and physical violence are all on the cards and morally justifiable to these people; since they have branded their political opponents as Nazis; an evil, unredeemable, basket of deplorables undeserving of such antiquated notions as being treated with decency and innocence until proven guilty. Nope. Mob justice is the order of the day instead it seems.

All this succeeds in doing is further atomising us, dividing us and keeping us fighting amongst ourselves.

Their tactics only breed resentment and create resistance to their agenda. No one wants to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future these zealots want to bring about. Force, public shaming, canceling, lies, omission of context, uncharitable interpretations, labeling opponents as sexists, racists, bigots, Nazis etc. to dehumanise, rarely work long term in changing someone's beliefs. Some may appear to fall in line, if they are that way inclined and enough appears to be at risk if they don't (their job, financial security, their families safety etc.) that they think they have to bend the knee, or else. But this is not a successful convert. Any chance to escape from under the hammer and they likely will in time.

For every successful convert I bet there are at least 5 that are left absolutely furious at the way they have been demonized and treated, first by the mob, then by mainstream media hit pieces. This is what I mean by creating the very monsters the left vow to fight. Probably unintentially, but this will be the outcome due to human nature. "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!" Lyrics from rage against the machine springs to mind.

Imagine being so warped by the echo chamber/bubble these people exist within, they just become another mindless drone, barely able to think critically, just regurgitating the same tired talking points, making sure to virtue signal enough to keep the canabalistic hoards in their ranks from turning on them; which is only a matter of time with the idiological purity, modern day witch testing they regularly seem to engage and devolve into. What a nasty, soul zapping environment to have to navigate, where one misstep, even a 10 year old Twitter joke being brought to light, could leave you ostracized and unpersoned.

These people are a growing threat to the continuation of our current societies way of life. They seem to have the majority of support from the government, the courts, the major cultural institutions, big tech/social media and still they think they are the underdogs, fighting the machine. They have become instruments of the machine but are too blinded by fear and hate to even realise this.

They are delusional, cultist types. Still... It's important to not let their toxic tactics spread and influence the rest of us. They clearly dehumanise people on the right in order to justify their inhumane methods against them, allowing them to feel little or no guilt, because hey, they aren't really people, they are subhuman scum.

We have to try and not follow in their footsteps. Not allow ourselves to be dragged down to their level where all parties will be fighting in the mud and no one comes out smelling of roses.

We need some pride, decorum and ethical standards. We need to lead by example. We need to not act like the monsters they think we are. We need to stick to our principals. We need to educate ourselves so we have the mental amunition to easily counter their insane points. We need to be able to forgive when necessary, but not forget. We need to have the intuitiveness to decipher truth in a world of disinformation. To have a good moral foundation to draw upon. To understand context, when a joke is just that, a joke, when a flag in a game isn't an automatic endorsement of what that flag represents to many.

Remember, anyone is potentially deprogrammable. Anyone can be shown the error of their ways, anyone can learn, change and grow. Everyone has the potential to, at least. Not everyone will, of course. But it's important we hold people to a higher standard than the radical left do and treat everyone with humanity and with the knowledge they could be one of the reachable, reasonable people who could yet vomit up the cool aid they've drank, for whatever reason, before it's too late for all of us.

Also, long live the confederacy!

cormack12

Gold Member

Imagine being so smooth brained and easily manipulated you literally become a useful idiot like these reeetards. An unpaid mouthpiece for the radical extremist ideology on the far left, while unwittingly or perhaps knowingly, but with zero fucks given; becoming the very monster they think they are fighting on the other side; but only ultimately succeeding in exacerbating the division and hyper polarisation that's slowly eroding trust and personal relationships across Western society today.

A Confederate flag in an old game famous for pushing the envelope, rich with satire, making fun of everyone and anything. Will anything huge be lost with this removal? No. But it's just another thing in a long list of things 'sanitised' from older game remasters, rewriting the past through fear of offending the perpetually offended; an impossible task I should add.

The perpetually offended feel they have been given a divine mandate to eradicate all resistance to what they perceive as necessary, positive and much needed societal change.

How they can possibly feel their tactics further this agenda is the truly sad and baffling thing imo. Self righteous, politically correct with a severe superiority complex, preaching tolerance and acceptance while practicing nothing of the sort. Fighting racism by being racist themselves, ending inequality with quotas, or by lowering entry requirements for certain positions; infecting everything with woke nonsense. Constantly brow beating and berating their opposition, that they have painted as evil, right wing goblins, thinking they'll all fall in line by this heavy handed method!?

Maybe these tactics work on some low IQ, masochistic types, who want to be told they are racist for being white, or must be a racist for wanting free speech protected by law or sexist for being male etc. but the vast majority will react with the appropriate level of disbelief.

Canceling, targeted harassment and physical violence are all on the cards and morally justifiable to these people; since they have branded their political opponents as Nazis; an evil, unredeemable, basket of deplorables undeserving of such antiquated notions as being treated with decency and innocence until proven guilty. Nope. Mob justice is the order of the day instead it seems.

All this succeeds in doing is further atomising us, dividing us and keeping us fighting amongst ourselves.

Their tactics only breed resentment and create resistance to their agenda. No one wants to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future these zealots want to bring about. Force, public shaming, canceling, lies, omission of context, uncharitable interpretations, labeling opponents as sexists, racists, bigots, Nazis etc. to dehumanise, rarely work long term in changing someone's beliefs. Some may appear to fall in line, if they are that way inclined and enough appears to be at risk if they don't (their job, financial security, their families safety etc.) that they think they have to bend the knee, or else. But this is not a successful convert. Any chance to escape from under the hammer and they likely will in time.

For every successful convert I bet there are at least 5 that are left absolutely furious at the way they have been demonized and treated, first by the mob, then by mainstream media hit pieces. This is what I mean by creating the very monsters the left vow to fight. Probably unintentially, but this will be the outcome due to human nature. "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!" Lyrics from rage against the machine springs to mind.

Imagine being so warped by the echo chamber/bubble these people exist within, they just become another mindless drone, barely able to think critically, just regurgitating the same tired talking points, making sure to virtue signal enough to keep the canabalistic hoards in their ranks from turning on them; which is only a matter of time with the idiological purity, modern day witch testing they regularly seem to engage and devolve into. What a nasty, soul zapping environment to have to navigate, where one misstep, even a 10 year old Twitter joke being brought to light, could leave you ostracized and unpersoned.

These people are a growing threat to the continuation of our current societies way of life. They seem to have the majority of support from the government, the courts, the major cultural institutions, big tech/social media and still they think they are the underdogs, fighting the machine. They have become instruments of the machine but are too blinded by fear and hate to even realise this.

They are delusional, cultist types. Still... It's important to not let their toxic tactics spread and influence the rest of us. They clearly dehumanise people on the right in order to justify their inhumane methods against them, allowing them to feel little or no guilt, because hey, they aren't really people, they are subhuman scum.

We have to try and not follow in their footsteps. Not allow ourselves to be dragged down to their level where all parties will be fighting in the mud and no one comes out smelling of roses.

We need some pride, decorum and ethical standards. We need to lead by example. We need to not act like the monsters they think we are. We need to stick to our principals. We need to educate ourselves so we have the mental amunition to easily counter their insane points. We need to be able to forgive when necessary, but not forget. We need to have the intuitiveness to decipher truth in a world of disinformation. To have a good moral foundation to draw upon. To understand context, when a joke is just that, a joke, when a flag in a game isn't an automatic endorsement of what that flag represents to many.

Remember, anyone is potentially deprogrammable. Anyone can be shown the error of their ways, anyone can learn, change and grow. Everyone has the potential to, at least. Not everyone will, of course. But it's important we hold people to a higher standard than the radical left do and treat everyone with humanity and with the knowledge they could be one of the reachable, reasonable people who could yet vomit up the cool aid they've drank, for whatever reason, before it's too late for all of us.

CreativeTepidKouprey-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_mnnav4wd1Z1rmby1bo1_400.gif

BrightEarnestGnatcatcher-max-1mb.gif

clapping-germans.gif

See above

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
No piece of fiction created in previous years in different political environments should be edited, censored or altered to suit a modern audience. A warning can be included for those who may find the imagery sensitive. And those people should be encouraged not to engage.

This is a slippery slope, folks. It’s a dumb ass, racist confederate flag one day, the next it’s a Free Tibet placard, the next it’s a women only space, the next it’s a joke about the government.

You might not care about this idiotic flag (I sure as shit don’t), but you should care about the precedent.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Didn't apple removed all apps that used it?
I assume that flag is just a big fat nono these days so meh?

My issue with the game that it looks rather eeeh.. like forknife.
I understand why they do it.., Because it's hella cheaper and faster to make then gta5.
It just looks off

Last edited:
Didn't apple removed all apps that used it?
I assume that flag is just a big fat nono these days so meh?

My issue with the game that it looks rather eeeh.. like forknife.
I understand why they do it.., Because it's hella cheaper and faster to make then gta5.
It just looks off
In my city there's a shop called Rebel County. They have a confederation sign above the entrance door.

You had me in the first 99%, not gonna lie.

Kupfer

Stupid. Even more stupid are the more people who think those who want the icon to remain equates to support of the thing itself. The whole point is that we laugh together at the ridiculous stereotype. Without the symbol it's now just someone like Angry Joe randomly in a game. That symbol explained everything about that characters beahviour and mindset.
X0D8lRE.jpg

Phil Cassidy is a redneck gun dealer. [...] Phil Cassidy is a gun nut and a member of several Second Amendment organizations and various gun clubs in Vice City. He also reportedly distills boomshine in his own stills. Phil is waging a war against Mexican gun running gangs.​

I can live with a different shirt from Phil Cassidy, but :
For me, the logo supports the storytelling and lore of the character. I don't sympathize with him, but I think the character representation is successful. I don't understand why they cut out such political points in a game where you play a mass murderer running amok. Every player should be able to differentiate between the content of the game and real life, and in my opinion, it's just such details that sensitize people, encourage them to deal with certain issues, and thus build bridges to the real world.

Of course, you can now break everything down and say that the game is not worse by the absence of such symbols, because it takes no influence on the game. For me, however, just such piquant details belong to the highlights of worldbuilding and thus create a certain authenticity. You just have to look around and you still meet people who really tick like that. I'm looking there in the direction of the Proud Boys' armed marches, which weren't that long ago. GTA >=3 are (extreme) mirror images of the US. After all, you don't support racist motives by playing VC because a character it fits has a certain logo on their shirt.

Some games, just like other cultural assets - be it film, music or art - have made me aware of circumstances and contexts. If devs now change their content afterwards in order not to cause a stir and to make more profit, I find it an infinite pity.
Today it might only be a t-shirt, but tomorrow the remaster of GTA IV will only contain the "Ballad of Tony" DLC, and the day after tomorrow Trevor will be kicked out of the GTA V remaster because he represents the archetype of political incorrectness.

Last edited:

Concern

"Targeted for modern audiences" lol. As you can see, reeetards have shown up here still to cry over this meaningless flag.

My thing is if something as small and satirical as this is removed. What else have they removed or changed? Is CJ or one of the main characters going to "identity" as a trans something now too? 🤣🤣

As I've said for awhile now, GTA VI has no hope with the Housers gone. They're even ruining the original vision of the old games.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Growing up in deep south Mississippi, I have a weird relationship with the confederate flag.

I would like to first point out that I couldn't give two flying frogs if it is in the game. Most people I know here realize how people from outside the area view it and are sympathetic to how it makes them feel.
That's the weird thing though, it never meant all those hugely negative things to us growing up. I'm positive there are exceptions, but it was just a symbol of where we came from. It symbolized being an underdog and always being a little suspicious of great authority. I could go on but there is not much point to it.

Things change, fuck it. It was never terribly important to me or anyone I know.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"Yeah, so I just got done torching people in Chinatown. As I was rolling up to a hooker for some fun and 9mm refund, I saw this guy with the Confederate flag on his shirt. That shit shook me so hard I didn't even enjoy Lazlo ripping on the anti vaxers"
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Excess

I'll never understand why some people think hiding things they don't like will make them magically disappear. It's physically impossible to sanitize the planet of stuff you disagree with. People of that inclination will fly all the confederate flags they want, real or imaginary, whether you want it or not. Just accept the fact and, if you think you have to, fight back against the message, rather than attempt to hide its symptoms, or you end up entangled in ridiculous whitch-hunts that make you look like the crazy one to all third-party viewers.

If you are so scared of a flag that you are not willing to ackowledge its existence even to mock it, you are giving it power. You are saying "I can't fight this, I have to hide from it, and I have to prevent anyone else from seeing it because its mere sight - even out of context - could corrupt their innocent minds". Just because you are stuck thinking like a 12 yo, stop projecting that onto the public at large. That's not how functional brans work. That's not how adults read context in media. People have their own ideas, and read media through it, not the other way around.
I agree.

I've made this argument so many times, and I think it makes divisive rhetoric, imagery or symbolism worse, because you are essentially "sweeping it under the carpet." Anecdotally, just look to the internet and how fringe groups are often segregated from mainstream platforms for harmless jokes, edgy content and/or simply mentioning words/symbols within historical context. Following expulsion, these individuals can often be driven into spaces of the internet where they go from benevolence to downright radicalization.

As always, sunlight is the best disinfectant, and damnatio memoriae does not apply in the age of the internet: Nothing ever gets deleted from the internet. Stop trying.

With Rockstar, this is not a new revelation. They first did it in GTA V with the Dukes vehicle and a few locations on the map. "Is this the hill you want to die on," they'll ask? No, but it's a shallow effort at appeasing a reactionary zeitgeist that Rockstar, ironically, mocks within its own games.

Toons

Banned
Good lol

Nother guy put it perfectly, it was meant to be a silly ridiculous stereotype but it's become clear in recent years that many legitimately want to be like this guy and feel validated by usage of this symbolism.

Screw it. I can see an argument for keeping it there, as a sort of vestige. But honestly, not gonna lose sleep over this. Its really not a big deal, and if even one person whod normally feel galvanized by this sort of thing is deprived that opportunity, I'm taking it as a win. *Shrug*

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
I mean...good?
If anyone is out there getting upset at the removal of a confederate flag in a video game, maybe you have bigger issues.

INB4 "but, but, buuuuut game preservation"
For the love of bacon, please STFU. There are millions of copies of these games in the world and will be easily accessible long after your concerned corpse is nothing but dust and your bloodline has ended.

"But, but, buuuuut disc rot, but, but, buuut"....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuut it.
He is bud guy. With flag of bud guys. What's next? Censored swastika tattoo in American History X?

dotnotbot

"Targeted for modern audiences" lol. As you can see, reeetards have shown up here still to cry over this meaningless flag.

My thing is if something as small and satirical as this is removed. What else have they removed or changed? Is CJ or one of the main characters going to "identity" as a trans something now too? 🤣🤣

As I've said for awhile now, GTA VI has no hope with the Housers gone. They're even ruining the original vision of the old games.

Isn't Sam Houser still there? Dan left but we still don't know why.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
So anything put in media in a satirical context should be removed if there is a group of people who associate non-ironically with a negative aspect of said "thing?"

If this is true, nuke everything. Just have the state funnel content to us through 3 government-controlled "competing" tech corporations and one government-owned media conglomerate. Also, usage of any of the non-sanctioned images by the general population should result in swift retribution by "right-minded" community enforcers of this new norm, with punishment starting with ostracization, death threats and job loss. Once the system is fully implemented and controlled through the state, punishment should include a 3-strike system, with "criminals" detained and brought to sanctioned facilities for "rehabilitation."

This is the only way to be sure western society will be a safe, pristine and non-hateful place for the current population and future generations.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What an American problem to have.

As if America is the only place that has iconography issues. There's a reason why we can't have straight up Nazis in vidya games (flag and all) and it sure as shit didn't originate in "the states. . ."

EDIT: post above beat me to it. Also those changes are hilarious.

Last edited:
Good lol

Nother guy put it perfectly, it was meant to be a silly ridiculous stereotype but it's become clear in recent years that many legitimately want to be like this guy and feel validated by usage of this symbolism.

Screw it. I can see an argument for keeping it there, as a sort of vestige. But honestly, not gonna lose sleep over this. Its really not a big deal, and if even one person whod normally feel galvanized by this sort of thing is deprived that opportunity, I'm taking it as a win. *Shrug*
I feel the same way. I totally get all the arguments here about keeping it the way it was though. I just shrug at the whole thing.

I think the amount of thought Rockstar put into changing this is far less than what this thread is digging into.

Notabueno

Banned
Fuck a guy with a confederate flag anywhere, but in terms of censorship it's fascinating that Rockstar is digging their own graves this way.

And by that I mean they setting precedent for GTA to be banned and censored as a violent game as a whole in the future.

In that time, we will have to remember what they did.

Top Bottom