• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Trilogy May Have Removed Confederate Flag

coffinbirth

No, I didn't. Your post highlighted the difference between gameplay and a symbol. I gave you another example of that and you dodged it entirely. Repeating "out of context" is just more dodging.

Avoid Spider Man GIF
Right, that was a response to someone talking about GTA. You are just talking out of your ass.

Banjo64

cumsessed
No, I didn't. Your post highlighted the difference between gameplay and a symbol. I gave you another example of that and you dodged it entirely. Repeating "out of context" is just more dodging.

Avoid Spider Man GIF
Preaching about context, when he’s self-righteously whining about a dumb racist twat who wears a confederate flag on his t-shirt who’s supposed to be a pathetic joke we all laugh at. Guy can’t even contextualise that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Let’s just all pretend that the things we don’t like never existed, sound plan there.

AGRacing

Gold Member
This is IDIOTIC. Let's ban the Nazi flag in all Wolfenstein games. Get Man in the High Castle pulled off Amazon Prime. Cancel the History Channel. Let's burn all the episodes of Dukes of Hazzard.

I'm Canadian and don't give a SHIT about the confederate flag.... but to put in even a second of effort to appease the twitter mob is PATHETIC... and makes your "social commentary" in past and future games completely fucking irrelevant.

coffinbirth

Preaching about context, when he’s self-righteously whining about a dumb racist twat who wears a confederate flag on his t-shirt who’s supposed to be a pathetic joke we all laugh at. Guy can’t even contextualise that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Let’s just all pretend that the things we don’t like never existed, sound plan there.
Or you're just fucking stupid.

Sybrix

I can think of a lot of missions that would rank higher on the offence meter…. The Trans bomber mission in Vice City for one….lol

if the conf flag is out how they fuck do they justify keeping the trans bomber mission in XD

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
That game plays in 1899, just 34 years after slavery was abolished in the US. There is a context to have that group in the game.
Having an idiot wearing a confederate shirt in a game playing during the 1990s is out of context. Not that complicated.
Im sure there people in the real world at that time period having a confederate flags on clothing.

Topher

Gold Member
The thing is that people who wave those flags from their houses or cars do not see this portrayal as a mockery, they see it as a form of validation.

Validation of what exactly?

Right, that was a response to someone talking about GTA. You are just talking out of your ass.

Ok.....let the grownups talk now.

That game plays in 1899, just 34 years after slavery was abolished in the US. There is a context to have that group in the game.
Having an idiot wearing a confederate shirt in a game playing during the 1990s is out of context. Not that complicated.

There are people who wore confederate shirts in the 90s and still today. How is that out of context?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sure if it can be made in a fashion that doesn't praise the toxic ideologies. That's pretty hard when inbred low IQ people only want to see their symbol to get a hard on.
But no!
The ideologies can be praised by these evil characters. Storytelling requires that !
I think it's fake news that people are made facists and nazis because they look at the symbol...

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m sorry did someone say something in here? I’ve replaced an obvious joke of a character with overly simplistic traits with a generic skull emblem;

OQbtPIA.jpg

I’m sure those of you who are intelligent enough to understand the complex theory of contextualisation will realise that my actions are similar to Rockstars, which is amusing in the context of this thread. Context.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty sure many of the confederate flag crowd are also proud gun owners, but that's not what the discussion here is. It's about a flag that is simply put "unconstitutional".
It shouldn't be promoted or used outside of history relevant scenes. Doing otherwise gives this separatists only the recognition they so much desire.

The confederate flag is NOT unconstitutional whatsoever. Displaying the confederate flag is a first amendment right in the US.

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
Not surprising. I suspect this is also part of the reason why we haven't seen a recent GTA. The tone and writing of IV and V weren't great to begin with but anything thematically in line with what GTA has traditionally delivered is one hell of tightrope to walk in our political climate.

Pretty much but context is lost in this day and age of social media and our hyper-politicized meida.

Really?
we do not know it may be i hope not

Sybrix

Pretty sure many of the confederate flag crowd are also proud gun owners, but that's not what the discussion here is. It's about a flag that is simply put "unconstitutional".
It shouldn't be promoted or used outside of history relevant scenes. Doing otherwise gives this separatists only the recognition they so much desire.
Again, disagree

These symbols are used for joke purposes, it’s not promotion at all. You can’t censor jokes, why would you want to?

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I think it's fake news that people are made facists and nazis because they look at the symbol...
You can't kill an idea. The symbols are here to stay. Problem is we live in a divided world and fascist are marching on - this goes for the far left and right - hell, even the "moderates" are influenced by the rabid insane people. Maybe it's good to "put a sock" in it for some time, so we can heal 🤷‍♂️

bender

What time is it?

Do you consider Phil Cassidy's character a celebration or a lampooning of the stereotypical person you'd expect to see wearing clothing adoring the confederate flag? Rockstar's intention seems painfully obvious with their portrayal. For reference:

I understand why they would remove the flag and I can't say I'm terribly bothered by it, but it does seem rather unnecessary.

Swift_Star

Banned
He is not wrong except Rockstar is long dead.
Why there is no 60fps patch for new consoles? They will sell the game again for 60usd with some shitty new name
I wish I were dead making the amount of money they make. Stay triggered.

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
This is IDIOTIC. Let's ban the Nazi flag in all Wolfenstein games. Get Man in the High Castle pulled off Amazon Prime. Cancel the History Channel. Let's burn all the episodes of Dukes of Hazzard.

I'm Canadian and don't give a SHIT about the confederate flag.... but to put in even a second of effort to appease the twitter mob is PATHETIC... and makes your "social commentary" in past and future games completely fucking irrelevant.
ding ding ding.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I guess if people aren't responsible enough to recognize satire when they see it, then maybe we have a bigger problem. I was thinking back to the way Mel Brooks used humor in Blazing Saddles. In the context of the racism in the movie, it is making fun of foolish idiots. If people somehow can't detect the satire and mockery and see a movie like Blazing Saddles as an endorsement of racism..... then I reiterate, that's a really big problem.

But I guess functional illiteracy is rising so maybe people can't discern satire and mockery anymore? That's sad. It's a great tool.

kingkaiser

On a character who is portrayed as an idiot, that’s the joke and no validation
Do you consider Phil Cassidy's character a celebration or a lampooning of the stereotypical person you'd expect to see wearing clothing adoring the confederate flag? Rockstar's intention seems painfully obvious with their portrayal. For reference:
People who wave the confederate flag in our times do not mind characters in media who follow suit being depicted as a "mockery".
They just want see the damn flag, they want it to be seen by others, they want to worship that thing and everthing it stands for.

Sybrix

People who wave the confederate flag in our times do not mind characters in media who follow suit being depicted as a "mockery".
They just want see the damn flag, they want it to be seen by others, they want to worship that thing and everthing it stands for.

Just because you think that doesn’t make you right.

I’ve seen no evidence thus far that portraying negative images in a comedic way somehow validates and promotes the cause.

Last edited:
Top Bottom