• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Trilogy May Have Removed Confederate Flag

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As pointed out by Reddit user Chazza354, it seems that Rockstar Games has changed the appearance of Phil Cassidy in the Grand Theft Auto trilogy so that he no longer has a Confederate flag t-shirt. In place of the Confederate flag is a skull logo of some kind. While the Confederate flag is highly controversial, some still see this as an odd move given the nature of the GTA games and that it's used in a satirical fashion. The Grand Theft Auto games don't celebrate the Confederate flag, but rather make fun of the characters that associate with it.

The possibility has been floated that Rockstar Games only removed the Confederate flag in the Grand Theft Auto Trilogy reveal trailer, but plans on keeping it in the game itself. If that was the case, though, one would think that Rockstar Games would have simply not shown any clips of Phil Cassidy in the reveal trailer to save itself from time. The more likely explanation is that the Confederate flag has been removed from GTA Trilogy, though Rockstar Games itself has not offered any clarification at the time of this writing.

If Rockstar Games has removed the Confederate flag from Grand Theft Auto Trilogy, it wouldn't even mark the first time that the flag has been removed from one of its games. As some may recall, Grand Theft Auto 5 changed a Confederate flag at one of its trailer parks to an American flag, though it did keep the Confederate flag clearly visible in other areas of the game.

cormack12

Gold Member
Oh jeeze, here we go again.

Noooooooooo, it's

ah-shit-here-we-go-again-ah-shit.gif

coffinbirth

I mean...good?
If anyone is out there getting upset at the removal of a confederate flag in a video game, maybe you have bigger issues.

INB4 "but, but, buuuuut game preservation"
For the love of bacon, please STFU. There are millions of copies of these games in the world and will be easily accessible long after your concerned corpse is nothing but dust and your bloodline has ended.

"But, but, buuuuut disc rot, but, but, buuut"....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuut it.

rkofan87

Gold Member
I mean...good?
If anyone is out there getting upset at the removal of a confederate flag in a video game, maybe you have bigger issues.

For the love of bacon, please STFU. There are millions of copies of these games in the world and will be easily accessible long after your concerned corpse is nothing but dust and your bloodline has ended.

"But, but, buuuuut disc rot, but, but, buuut"....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuut it.
go back to era.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I remember being 7 or 8 years old and watching the Dukes of Hazzard ... I thought the General Lee was the coolest car ever, and that flag looked so bad ass on it. I had no idea who General Lee was or what the flag was about. Maybe that's the problem with some people that want to hold on to it despite it representing a treasonous, slavery-loving faction in our nation's past ... they're still just little kids. Time for the country to grow up

I mean...good?

fuck that flag. fuck what it symbolizes.

Javthusiast

Banned
We already have a being concerned about censorship in gta definitive trilogy thread. We seriously need one about a fucking flag?

RareJordan

There’s a Gadsden (don’t tread on me) flag in one of the shops RDR2. I’m surprised they haven’t removed it yet.

coffinbirth

I dont disagree with this statement, but in the context of the GTA universe the confederate flag was most definitely not glorified in any way. In typical gta fashion it was used satirically.
Satire is lost on morons and sustaining the usage of that imagery normalizes it. I would probably have a slightly softer stance if it mattered, like....at all in this game, but it doesn't.

Top Bottom