• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6 has new super advanced water physics tech claims insider

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

On Twitter, a man named Aleix Venturas made a post for Rockstar Mag and noted that GTA 6 might be using a special kind of water rendering system. It’s similar to NVIDIA Waterworks, meaning we’d get very high-quality and realistic-looking water. But that’s where the “problem” comes in. According to the “contributor,” using this technology is so expensive that Rockstar can’t use it all the time within the game, so they’re going to be building something themselves to fix that. ComicBook.com translated his tweets:

“The objective is therefore to bring together around twenty engineers in the Rockstar San Diego studio division called ‘RAGE Technology Group’ so that they can create a new physics system for water in GTA 6,” claims Venturas. “Current video games use a mesh system (wireframe) to represent water. This gives the impression of a rippling liquid and this system has the advantage of being energy efficient in terms of performance. With RAGE 9, it will be a new system that will allow physically simulated water in real-time. This has existed for years in the cinema or on 3D applications but it is never ‘realtime.’ NVIDIA has already tried the experiment with WaveWorks 1.0 and 2.0 but the realism/performance ratio has never been exploitable.”

SJRB

Gold Member
At some point this fucking game will get announced, right? It has to be announced at some point, right?

..right?

iu

StueyDuck

What a fucking fake... you didn't even mention your patreon.
Rockstar definitely totally gave me a cease and desist order because of my totally accurate information and got my patreon taken down.

Please view all my videos and drop me a like quick before all my socials are gone too.

Also PayPal me $1000 for support and more hot insider knowledge

Dm me at thisisdefinitelynotbullshit@gmail.com for the deets

I don't know if GTA is really something that needs best wadda eva, even though improved physics would be fine in any game, but a new Wave Race with top tech, that would be something. We get motocross and monster truck racers but no one tries to follow that ancient game.

Kupfer

They did impressive stuff with RDR2 on 2013s hardware, so I'm looking forward for GTA6, at least tech-wise.
Also, I'm waiting over a decade for interactive water ... It's about time!

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
GTA6 is 100% going to be 30fps on consoles. Then make PC players wait a couple of years for the 60fps version. Then make console players wait another two years for the PS6 launch window 60fps Remaster 😂

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Nice. Finally some ambition. I hope they push for advanced visual fidelity in general. Give a shit about performance. Break my console. Patch it later

Togh

GTA6 is 100% going to be 30fps on consoles. Then make PC players wait a couple of years for the 60fps version. Then make console players wait another two years for the PS6 launch window 60fps Remaster 😂
Wait, are you an insider too? How could you give such detailed info about their plans???

Why did rockstar decide making fun games was less important than creating realistic worlds. We'd have twice as many games by them if they didn't change this starting with gta 4.

Unless there is some really interesting gameplay utility to volumetric water simulation (i.e. fluid), then it really just sounds like a massive waste of hardware performance.

Good luck running this game on ultra settings...
I wish people weren't so obsessed with running games maxed out on PC. Games on PC should have settings that are punishing for hardware that exists when it releases. You shouldn't be able to run at Ultra settings on launch or even High on some settings. Those should be kept for a couple years down the road when there is newer hardware.

GTA VI will hit hard when it comes out especially considering it will likely have raytracing :messenger_anxious: I don't expect to able to run it maxed out at launch. I have a 4080 right now but who knows when the game will come out. Most likely we'll have 5000 cards by the time it launches. So maybe 6000 cards won't struggle with it :messenger_grinning_smiling:

GymWolf

I wish people weren't so obsessed with running games maxed out on PC. Games on PC should have settings that are punishing for hardware that exists when it releases. You shouldn't be able to run at Ultra settings on launch or even High on some settings. Those should be kept for a couple years down the road when there is newer hardware.

GTA VI will hit hard when it comes out especially considering it will likely have raytracing :messenger_anxious: I don't expect to able to run it maxed out at launch. I have a 4080 right now but who knows when the game will come out. Most likely we'll have 5000 cards by the time it launches. So maybe 6000 cards won't struggle with it :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I know that dude, but this specific news talk about ultra setting, so if you want water to look like that, you need to put on ultra.

I have the same gpu so i can imagine the (future) struggle to run this thing decently because sure as hell i'm not gonna change this gpu for at least 3-4 years.

Last edited:

Tg89

Yeah cool I guess. Not sure it's worth waiting however the fuck long for though.

Seems like the industry is sacrificing a lot in terms of dev cycles for graphical advances with marginal impact. Especially when you consider that 90% of the time these games end up running like absolute dogshit anyway.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Your post makes no sense.

They have their own engine and they just can't use the Decima Engine.

If they want to use the engine they have to pay license costs.
I'm sure they can afford it considering they have one of the most successful franchises of all time and an online game that still rakes in billions

Top Bottom